PDA

View Full Version : Does Stefan Logan need to work on fundamentals?

mesaSteeler
10-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Does Stefan Logan need to work on fundamentals?
Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Monday, October 05, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09278/1003223-367.stm

Question: Ed, do you think the coaches are stressing the fundamentals with Stefan Logan enough? I cannot see why he would not have fair caught that ball in traffic at that point in the game with the Chargers. Is he trying too hard to prove he belongs? What's your take?

Ryan Alderman, Conway, S.C.

BOUCHETTE: Logan has been involved in one touchdown in the return game and it happened when the Chargers stripped him of the football on a punt return. Logan has returned two kickoffs more than 50 yards this season. He averages just 7.5 yards on punt returns and sometimes Mewelde Moore replaces him when Mike Tomlin needs sure hands. He earned a roster spot with some spectacular returns in the preseason but he needs to grow into the punt return position a little more.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09278/1003223-367.stm#ixzz0TFcUkyIT

Hammer Of The GODS
10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
What Logan needs is to catch the ball and look up and NOT see 3-4 defenders coming free and unblocked. The special teams blocking needs to get better.

As far as the fumble against the chargers, The refs blew the call (shocking) forward progress was stopped by the first guy to grab him. He was being pushed back and held up after his progress was stopped.

HometownGal
10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
What Logan needs is to catch the ball and look up and NOT see 3-4 defenders coming free and unblocked. The special teams blocking needs to get better.

As far as the fumble against the chargers, The refs blew the call (shocking) forward progress was stopped by the first guy to grab him. He was being pushed back and held up after his progress was stopped.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

If it was as simple as Logan just having butterfingers, I could see the angst, but holy Mother of God - he was stood up like a Christmas tree and the ball was stripped which shouldn't be permissible in the NFL. The same thing happened to Adrian Peterson in the Pack/Vikes game on MNF.

mulldog24
10-07-2009, 08:35 AM

As far as the fumble against the chargers, The refs blew the call (shocking) forward progress was stopped by the first guy to grab him. He was being pushed back and held up after his progress was stopped

I agree the refs should have blown the whistle when Logan's forward progress was stopped but I also think that Logan should have fell to his knees when the chargers were trying to strip the ball.

arge5809
10-07-2009, 08:40 AM
It seems that its time for a complete overhaul of the Refs in the NFL.

Get ones in that will actually make calls for ALL teams equally. Not just making calls for the "popular" teams, and Tom Brady !

:doh: :noidea: :banging: :tt04:

fansince'76
10-07-2009, 08:41 AM

Get ones in that will actually make calls for ALL teams equally. Not just making calls for the "popular" teams, and Tom Brady !

Won't do any good as long as Der Kommissar is in charge. They need to get a new commissioner while they're at it. His nose is stuck so far up Kraft's ass it's pathetic.

The Lakelander
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM

This kid was electric in pre-season.

Where is it now?

We need Logan to be that special punt returner ...

Wallace has just as good a chance to be an impact kick returner ...

I'm a little miffed at his indecision, his poor decisions, and his giant step backwards.

If Logan doesn't get better soon, we'll see Santonio back there again to change the complexion of some future critical football game.

sharkweek
10-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Exactly. :thumbsup:

If it was as simple as Logan just having butterfingers, I could see the angst, but holy Mother of God - he was stood up like a Christmas tree and the ball was stripped which shouldn't be permissible in the NFL. The same thing happened to Adrian Peterson in the Pack/Vikes game on MNF.

To be fair, that was a lot more bang-bang against Peterson and I thought was nowhere near an issue like this play was, especially when Roethlisberger was sacked earlier in the game before he was even tackled or stopped completely - they called it sack because he was "in the grasp".

You could tell by the manor of the crowd as well as just about every other player on the field except the guy who returned the "fumble" that they had thought the play was dead.

This kid was electric in pre-season.

Where is it now?

We need Logan to be that special punt returner ...

Wallace has just as good a chance to be an impact kick returner ...

I'm a little miffed at his indecision, his poor decisions, and his giant step backwards.

If Logan doesn't get better soon, we'll see Santonio back there again to change the complexion of some future critical football game.

He's made one crucial mistake thus far this season, a mistake that really isn't even his fault (ie getting gang banged on play that should have been blown dead is no where near as bad as the muffs and horrible fumbles that Holmes had problems with his first season), and is mostly 20-20 hindsight. Had he taken it to the house or gotten it across mid field no-one would have questioned his decision to run it.

Its stupid to second guess plays like that. The argument for all the 20-20 hindsight homers out there is that he should have fair caught the ball considering we had a comfortable lead and didn't need him to be a hero. But at the same time that's exactly part of the point - we did have a comfortable lead, so there was room for a mistake - why not take a risk if the reward might be worth it? I'd rather him muff a kick when it ultimately meant nothing in the outcome so he could learn from the experience that way than for him to do the same in tighter games like Holmes did.

CanadianSteel
10-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I think Logan will be fine he just needs to work on a few things.
- Better initial blocking would definately help instaed of trying to juke 2 guys in your face
- knowing the situatiuon better and when to fair catch ball, just let them go, etc... remember he comes from the CFL where there is NO fair catch so thats a bit of an adjustment on its own
- He needs tio learn to get low when being hit ala Sproles or Wes Welker... less chance of a big hit or fumble.
Just my 2 cents but the guy has still dramatically helped out field position so far and hopefully will only get better...

The_WARDen
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Can we give him a body of work before deciding what he is or isn't?

Shouldn't he get at least a half season to prove or disprove himself?

fansince'76
10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
- Better initial blocking would definately help instaed of trying to juke 2 guys in your face

Preaching to the choir here - I've been calling out the blocking on punt returns for years now - we don't do it well, at least on a consistent basis and we haven't done so in I don't know how long. That's the primary reason why Rossum didn't have success returning punts for us, yet had a career year returning punts as soon as he left.

MACH1
10-07-2009, 02:06 PM
And if he busted one for a td you all would be singing his praises right now.

He'll be just fine back there.

scsteeler
10-07-2009, 02:50 PM

I totally agree!!!!! The Bad Ref calls must be the thing now because not only is it alive and well in the NFL the High school football games has been ruined with bad calls.

The sad thing is even when you have tape footage to show the bad ref calls nothing is done about it which will make it get worse in years to come.

shovelnose
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I think Logan will be fine he just needs to work on a few things.

- knowing the situatiuon better and when to fair catch ball, just let them go, etc... remember he comes from the CFL where there is NO fair catch so thats a bit of an adjustment on its own

A very good point! I was going to mention that but you beat me to it! Sounds simple but when you're used to no fair catches it has to take some getting used to! Just a habit to run lol! That's all he known till this year.

tony hipchest
10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
everybody should take a look at hester stealing the ball away from logan again.

watch his left hand which initially has logans jersey. as soon as he gets his right hand around logans arm and the ball, he releases his jersey and his hand disappears in between logans legs.

i swear it looks like hester either squeezed his balls or goosed him to get him to loosen his grasp on the ball.

(its a pretty popular maneuver).

MasterOfPuppets
10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
everybody should take a look at hester stealing the ball away from logan again.

watch his left hand which initially has logans jersey. as soon as he gets his right hand around logans arm and the ball, he releases his jersey and his hand disappears in between logans legs.

i swear it looks like hester either squeezed his balls or goosed him to get him to loosen his grasp on the ball.

(its a pretty popular maneuver).
hmmmm...thats odd..:huh: ....never had a coach tell us to sexually assualt the ball carrier (no pun intended) to get a turnover....:noidea:

steelwalls
10-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey.... think what we had last year, I'm fine with Logan.

As to that fumble call....complete and total BS...terrible no call on forward progress.

tony hipchest
10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
hmmmm...thats odd..:huh: ....never had a coach tell us to sexually assualt the ball carrier (no pun intended) to get a turnover....:noidea:but you never made it to the pro's (i dont think) where money and jobs were on the line.

theres alot of stuff that goes on at the bottom of the pile, and elsewhere. from all the player interviews ive heard... "anything goes" and "whatever it takes".

cubanstogie
10-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Can we give him a body of work before deciding what he is or isn't?

Shouldn't he get at least a half season to prove or disprove himself?

no, your only as good as your last play on this board. Thank goodness Ben didn't throw an interception on his last throw or people would be calling for Dixon.

HometownGal
10-08-2009, 07:57 AM
no, your only as good as your last play on this board. Thank goodness Ben didn't throw an interception on his last throw or people would be calling for Dixon.

Sad but true. :shake02:

The Lakelander
10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Yards Per Punt Return

2009 Steelers

Ranked 23rd - 6.8 yards per return - 11 attempts (only 5 teams have more chances)

2008 Steelers

Ranked 32nd - 6.0 yards per return -41 attempts (only 7 teams had more chances)

Logan will probably move up the ranks, but ...

The season is already 25% over.

I may have had a really wrong predisposition about this kid, but Logan simply is not getting it done!

I really did expect we'd be in the top half of the league in punt returns.

A few big returns will be nice, sure ... but ...

Logan doesn't even look remotely as quick and shifty right now as he did in the pre-season.

His fumble this week isn't even the issue ... his indecision and poor decisions are what stand out the most.

Mewelde Moore could be doing these kind of numbers right now. So could Santonio.

This kid can still prove to be a waste of a roster space and a major error in front office judgement that cost us a really upside LDE ... Sonny Harris!

The Lakelander
10-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Now that I said that Logan will probably break one this weekend. :chuckle:

#1LambertFan
10-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry if the is posted by someone else above but I'm in a rush and felt i needed to vent somehow about the strip. I timed it after i saw the play the first time. He was grabbed and held for just shy of 4 seconds before the ball was stripped. It looked like a good old fashioned rugby match. But we're in America and this is football. Logan is 5 1/2 feet and maybe a buck 70 soaking wet he's not going to be winning very many rugby fights with 190-240 pound guys on special teams.

Anyway, I see a quality return man in Logan for years to come, and the only flaws i see are rookie errors and will undoubtedly be fixed with time and experience.

Lakelander, how could you consider him a waste of roster space? Have you seen him return kicks. He is definitely an improvement from anybody we have had since Randle El.

cubanstogie
10-08-2009, 08:30 PM
in no way shape or form do I judge Logan on the strip. It was a good play by defense, legal or not. It appears to me he is trying to do too much, thats all. I was excited when I first saw him and he still has big play capability but just hasn't broke one yet. IMO he is pressing, we all were expecting him to take one to the house already. He is still getting used to game speed. Unless someone else steps up he is our only real option. I'm not high on Santonio on punts, no pun intended and Me Mo is solid but not spectacular.

tmacsteelerfan
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
He's fine back there, it would be cool to see Mike Wallace give a punt and kickoff a try in the regular season but Stefen will be fin, as a matter of fact I bet he takes one to the house this week vs Detroit.

cubanstogie
10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
He's fine back there, it would be cool to see Mike Wallace give a punt and kickoff a try in the regular season but Stefen will be fin, as a matter of fact I bet he takes one to the house this week vs Detroit.

That would be great but then all the skeptics would say " good but it was against Detroit." I apologize for the negativity about our fans posting but it really has gotten to me considering we lost 2 close games on the road by 3 points and people are ready to cut half the roster.