PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker not optimistic about playing Sunday, likely out

Steelboy84
10-07-2009, 08:40 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP)—Steelers running back Willie Parker isn’t optimistic about playing in Detroit.

An injured left big toe kept Parker out of the Steelers’ 38-28 victory over San Diego on Sunday and Rashard Mendenhall ran for 165 yards and two touchdowns in his place.

With Mendenhall pushing to replace him as the starter, Parker didn’t practice Wednesday because his toe still hasn’t healed.

“I’m a competitor and I want to compete and show the world what I’ve got but, at the same time, I’ve got to be smart about it,” said Parker, who ran for at least 1,200 yards every season from 2005-07. “Right now, I’m not where I need to be.”

When Parker last played in Detroit, his 75-yard touchdown run helped the Steelers beat Seattle 21-10 in the Super Bowl in February 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-parker&prov=ap&type=lgns

tyler289
10-07-2009, 08:42 PM
No loss. Take your time Willie, Mendenhall should be able to handle the load.

Steelboy84
10-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I mean hey, as long as Mendy is hot, let him keep, as we would say in high school, "totin' dat tata". lol

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

Sharkissle29
10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
i want more mendy!

Rek
10-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Parker, you're killin' me man. Anyways, let's see Mendy run wild.

Preacher
10-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I want willie healthy, and Mendy and Willie splitting the majority of the load.

Steel-Bryan
10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
One thing i have to say to willie after this season..... Bye-Bye !:wave:

Preacher
10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
One thing i have to say to willie after this season..... Bye-Bye !:wave:

Maybe, maybe not. If he doesn't play a lot, he isn't going to get a lot of interest, and wil probably sign a reduced salary to stay with the Steelers.

IMO, that is the best thing that can happen, instead of trying to bring someone else in here to learn the system.

SteelC7
10-07-2009, 10:18 PM
i want willie to be able to play, but i like wat i see from mendenhall, the 2 headed monster will start tearin ppl up wen willies back

Hotrodder07
10-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Hmm. I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I'm happy, because I want to see if Mendenhall can have another great game. On the other hand, it's never good when a starter is hurt and can't play.

Anyway, looks like it's all mendy this week. Hope he tears it up.

Shoes
10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Maybe, maybe not. If he doesn't play a lot, he isn't going to get a lot of interest, and wil probably sign a reduced salary to stay with the Steelers.

IMO, that is the best thing that can happen, instead of trying to bring someone else in here to learn the system.

I think so too Preach...reduced salary to stay with the Steelers, Willie isn't a big head type of guy.....and he will be a big help to the team.

steelreserve
10-08-2009, 12:41 AM

That would never happen. With Willie healthy, all you'll ever see is the Parker-only offense. We need to get away from that.

tony hipchest
10-08-2009, 12:46 AM
sure beats the jerome only offense.

JackHammer
10-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Mendy is about to clear waivers for me at 3:00 am :tt03:

GridironWarrior
10-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I got Mendy Sat. night before the Chargers game. Him and Ben were great on my FF team.

Steeldude
10-08-2009, 01:25 AM
there really is no need to keep parker next year. if mendenhall works out the steelers also have moore. summers gets another year to famliarize himself with the playbook etc... then the steelers can add a veteran FB or perhaps draft a highly touted one :drink:

Galax Steeler
10-08-2009, 04:42 AM
It will be interesting to see what they do if Mendenhall has another good game. They said they was going to go with whoever was hot and right know it is Mendenhall.

Bubby Blister
10-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I was getting sick of seeing and hearing

"Willy Parker up the middle, ouch, he maybe got a yard on the play!"

HometownGal
10-08-2009, 08:00 AM

I agree 100%. We have 2 very capable backs - let's utilize the talents of both. :thumbsup:

SteelMember
10-08-2009, 08:28 AM
There's been talk about Detroit's artificial surface weighing in as part of the decision. Not only for Parker, but for Troy also.

It's possible he (Parker) may not get that chance at all on Ford Field's poor artificial turf.

"I don't want him to [play], because I'm his friend," Clark said, emphasizing the artificial turf at Ford Field. "I tore my PCL a few years ago, and it's just tough to run on. It's a pounding. Some of [the artificial fields] aren't very fluffy, so it's hard.

"You know Troy, he's a competitor; if he can come back this week, he is. I know he's going to practice and stuff. But me, personally, I would rather have him for the last 10 or the last stretch than have him come out and injure himself again and set himself back."

http://postgazette.com/pg/09281/1003889-66.stm

Steel-Bryan
10-08-2009, 09:24 PM

True, the fact that parker is inconsistent and cant break tackles, which i really dont like, if it were up to me i would let him go and maybe get a F.O or draft a rb in the late rounds, get them to learn the system, and keep MM as our backup and 3DRB. Im tired of Willie trying to make something happen, and getting stuffed at the line. I know its not all his fault, but still.

markymarc
10-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Rashard Mendenhall can handle being our #1 RB. This allows FWP to take his time recovering and only coming back once he is 100%.