PDA

View Full Version : Receivers not making the Big Catch-Holmes in Particular?

pits200
10-08-2009, 02:53 PM
First time poster, so I expect flaming to come based on the content of this thread.

People keep blaming the defense for the 4th quarter meltdowns and put all the blame on them. But the receivers in particular have contributed to not making key catches during crucial points of the game which could have A.) kept drives going and milked the clock- like Wards two back to back drops in the Chargers game
or
B.) Scored - like on Holmes dropped pass in the Chicago game or Sweeds in the Cincy game.

The reason I narrow my focus down to Holmes is because every year is suppose to be "his year". Yes his stats look ok but those are slightly inflated because of the need for the Steelers to be pass heavy in a few of their games this year.

How many drops did he have during the Chicago game? Why does it seem that the receivers are not making the difficult catches this year. I don't expect every hard pass to be caught, but come on, 50%, 33%, at least a couple.

Overall, I know Ward and Holmes are top 15 in receiving yards and that Wallace is a nice bonus, but perhaps the offense needs to make the plays when it counts. Best way for the offense to help the defense is to stay on the field in the 4th quarter and convert those key 3rd downs.

OneForTheToe
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
While I agree that the so called 4th quarter melt-downs can be blamed on more than the D (well, except for last week), I think you might be making a mountain out of a moll hill. Santo had one bad game and Hines dropped a few catches last week in a game where he caught 8. We are also throwing more these days so we can expect more catches as well as drops

As you alluded to, in the chi town and Bungle games the offense moving the ball in the fourth quarter would have helped the D a bit. Still, the "#1 D" needs to be able to close out teams.

Besides, we all know the blame goes to Arians not letting fans call the plays, Willie's parents not making him bigger, and the Art Rooney Sr, for not winning enough money on the horses and thus having to cheap and passing it onto his kin - so as not to be able to afford overpriced free agents. :wink02:

Welcome to the board, pits200.

HometownGal
10-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Besides, we all know the blame goes to Arians not letting fans call the plays, Willie's parents not making him bigger, and the Art Rooney Sr, for not winning enough money on the horses and thus having to cheap and passing it onto his kin - so as not to be able to afford overpriced free agents. :wink02:

:laughing: :toofunny: :thumbsup:

Now we can add Santo sucks to the long list of reasons why the Steelers aren't #1 in every conceivable FF category. :chuckle:

I have no problem with the kid. Even the elite receivers in the league drop more than one or two dead on passes every season. As far as I'm concerned, 99% of the time, Santo makes the clutch catches when he needs to.

SteelMember
10-08-2009, 04:25 PM
The reason I narrow my focus down to Holmes is because every year is suppose to be "his year". Yes his stats look ok but those are slightly inflated because of the need for the Steelers to be pass heavy in a few of their games this year.

Yes, they may seem "pass heavy" because of the fact the running game didn't get anywhere until last week, but I will disagree with the point because when you say it like that it implies that we needed to pass to get back into the games. All of our games have been close, so passing wasn't a need, it was our only other option.

Best way for the offense to help the defense is to stay on the field in the 4th quarter and convert those key 3rd downs.

And to this I would say...they need to keep themselves in 3rd and managable situations so the pass isn't as predictable, because if your goal is to milk the clock, the run game is your best friend.

Welcome. :drink:

The Lakelander
10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Santonio had his wrist in a cast after the Tennessee game because he hurt it pretty bad.

He played through it!

I'll say it again ... he played through it!

Granted he dropped a few passes, but unlike other primadonna WR's around the league that sit when they have a hang-nail ... he played through it!

This guy has some of the best hands in the game when he's healthy.

Ben looked the other way (towards Wallace) in Week 3 ... and towards Hines and Heath in Week 4.

Hopefully Santonio's wrist is getting healthy now.

He's a huge part of this offense!

Hines0wnz
10-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I see your points but the 4th Qtr D has slacked off this season. Once Troy is back and healthy, we will find out what him missing from the lineup means to closing out games.

tmacsteelerfan
10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah I think I know what your trying to argue with Santonio.. Sweed should be the 2nd receiver..:chuckle: I think Holmes is fine, Terrell Owens has been one of the greatest receivers ever and he always led the league in drops.

pits200
10-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Come on now, everyone knows I'm not saying Saint-onio sucks by any means of the imagination. As for his wrist injury, I did not know that little tid bit of info.

The 4th quarter D is just baffling to me, the Offense is what, 3rd or 4th in TOP so it's not like the defense is tired.

Im just wondering if this is what Holmes is good for, will he ever become the Steelers first receiver once Hines retires?

I mean, didn't the defense bail the offense out many times last year by preserving a small lead, or keeping the Steelers in the game so the offense could have one final drive to win the game.

I just figure it may be a little payback time for the offense to build a bigger lead and give the defense a little breathing room till they get their flow back.

Go Steelers!

devilsdancefloor
10-08-2009, 10:24 PM
First off Welcome to the boards!:drink:

I think the problems is a bunch of little things that can be easily fixed , but right now it is like "death by paper cuts" and it all shows up in the fourth quarter it would seem. Tone wrist could be the reason or it could be lack of concentration. we will never know. I have faith things will turn around for all the problems. Coach isnt one to sit back and shut his eyes to the problems. I am willing to bet mundy fielded a lot of sqibb kicks this week :wink02:.

tony hipchest
10-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I see your points but the 4th Qtr D has slacked off this season. Once Troy is back and healthy, we will find out what him missing from the lineup means to closing out games.exactly. that is all. :yep:

if troy wasnt hurt, we would be 4-0 and the talking heads would be placing them atop of their power rankings talking how we improved from last year and steamrolling through the league on the way to the playoffs and defense of their title.

there would be no questions of all these players, coaches, mistakes, or philosophies.

the offensive coordinating geniuses of the titans, bears, and bungles wouldnt be given credit for finally cracking dick lebeaus code and forcing him to adjust ( he has always been 1 step ahead of the game for the past 5 years).

tomlin wouldnt be blamed for going too easy on the players in camp, just like he was blamed for going to hard on them in camp his first year, (as if the absence of the league leading rusher, willie parker, in addition to a. smith and r. clark had nothing to do with the late season collapse). dare i say.... more than chess or checkers?

we will get troy back and we will be fine.

its just like these wacky receiving theories. ben is leading the league in completion percentage, right ahead of peyton manning. what is wrong with best?

hines
holmes
wallace
mcdonald
sweed

miller
spaeth

moore
mendenhall

holy shit! i'd say we got some of the best targets in the league for ben.

nobodys perfect, and no qb will ever achieve 100% comp. percentage. its the nature of the game.

stb_steeler
10-09-2009, 01:07 AM
exactly. that is all. :yep:

if troy wasnt hurt, we would be 4-0 and the talking heads would be placing them atop of their power rankings talking how we improved from last year and steamrolling through the league on the way to the playoffs and defense of their title.

there would be no questions of all these players, coaches, mistakes, or philosophies.

the offensive coordinating geniuses of the titans, bears, and bungles wouldnt be given credit for finally cracking dick lebeaus code and forcing him to adjust ( he has always been 1 step ahead of the game for the past 5 years).

tomlin wouldnt be blamed for going too easy on the players in camp, just like he was blamed for going to hard on them in camp his first year, (as if the absence of the league leading rusher, willie parker, in addition to a. smith and r. clark had nothing to do with the late season collapse). dare i say.... more than chess or checkers?

we will get troy back and we will be fine.

its just like these wacky receiving theories. ben is leading the league in completion percentage, right ahead of peyton manning. what is wrong with best?

hines
holmes
wallace
mcdonald
sweed

miller
spaeth

moore
mendenhall

holy shit! i'd say we got some of the best targets in the league for ben.

nobodys perfect, and no qb will ever achieve 100% comp. percentage. its the nature of the game.

And everyone ask where did all the love go!!!!!!!:mg:

revefsreleets
10-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Not going to blame the WR's 100%, but WILL blame lack of execution by many, if not most of the offensive players from time to time for the lack of points. A missed assignment here, a dropped catch there, a bad cut there, and an arrant throw here and we have enough points racked up in the Bears and Bengals losses so that we SHOULD actually be calling those last minute TD's we gave up "garbage-time points"

markymarc
10-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Santonio Homes will be just fine.

arge5809
10-10-2009, 10:54 PM
And everyone ask where did all the love go!!!!!!!:mg:

I think I just saw it running down the street ... :doh: :tt02: