PDA

View Full Version : Woodley's Sackless Start Doesn't Mean He's Not Being Productive

mesaSteeler
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Woodley's Sackless Start Doesn't Mean He's Not Being Productive
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/08/woodleys-sackless-start-doesnt-mean-hes-not-being-productive/

(Note there is a video about Woodley with the article. See above URL. - mesa)
Posted Oct 08, 2009 8:11AM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

LaMarr WoodleyThe Steelers pass rush has missing in action for much of the first month of the season and a lot of that blame has started to focus on outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley who has zero sacks in four games after picking up 11.5 sacks last season.

But as Dagger over at Post Game Heroes points out, Woodley's lack of sack production doesn't mean he's not being productive. Against the Chargers, Woodley had only one tackle and no sacks but he did do an excellent job of shutting down the passes in the flat to LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles.

Dagger's analysis showed that Woodley only rushed the passer on 59 percent of the Chargers pass plays. On 41 percent of them, he dropped into coverage. Usually, Woodley is rushing on anywhere between 70 and 80 percent of pass plays. And as Dagger showed with a cutup of some of Woodley's plays, while Woodley didn't get a sack, he is still contributing to the Steelers defense.

It's also worth noting that Woodley went four straight games at the end of the regular season last year without a sack, but he rebounded to record six sacks in three playoff games.

mesaSteeler
10-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Calm down everybody, I found LaMarr Woodley.
http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7919
By Dagger | October 7, 2009

Calm down everybody, I found LaMarr Woodley. It turns out that he wasn’t MIA last week and he hasn’t lost all of his pass rushing abilities seemingly overnight. Hear me out on this one.

You didn’t see Woodley hauling down Philip Rivers on Sunday night but there is something else that you didn’t see that is probably much more important. You didn’t see Tomlinson and/or Sproles catching 2 yard dump offs and turning them into 30 yard gains. Say what you want about Vincent Jackson and Gates but Sproles and Tomlinson’s ability to catch balls in the flat and turn them into game-changing plays has probably been the biggest weapon in the Chargers passing game for the past few years.

Last year Sproles caught 6 balls for 100 yards in 2 games vs Pittsburgh. Tomlinson caught 3 balls for 45 yards. So far this season, Sproles has been a huge weapon in the passing game and has put up the following numbers:

Week 1: 5 catches for 43 yards

Week 2: 7 catches for 124 yards

Week 3: 2 catches for 14 yards

Against Pittsburgh Sproles only managed 1 catch for 16 yards.

Instead of focusing on this stat:

woodleysackweek4

Perhaps we should be focusing on this one:

sdbacksvssteelers

What does this have to do with LaMarr Woodley you ask? Well Woodley spent the better part of his Sunday night covering RBs and playing zone defense in the flats. This Steelers defense has always been about being unselfish and doing whatever the team asks you to do. A lot has been brought up over the past 3 weeks about James Harrison being asked to drop back into coverage at key moments; well it seems Woodley is being given the same duties.

First Quarter: The Chargers run 6 pass plays. Woodley drops into coverage on all 6 plays. WOW.

Second Quarter: The Chargers run 10 pass plays. Woodley drops in to coverage 3 times and rushes the passer 7 times.

Third Quarter: The Chargers run 13 pass plays. Woodley drops into coverage 7 times and rushes the passer 6 times.

Fourth Quarter: The Chargers run 12 pass plays. Woodley rushes the passer 11 times and drops into coverage one time.

That’s right people….Woodley dropped into coverage on 41% of all San Diego passing plays. For a frame of reference, Woodley rushed the QB on 72% of all passing plays vs the Ravens in last year’s playoff game. He rushed the QB on 56% of all passing plays in the playoffs last year against San Diego and he rushed the QB on 81% of all passing plays in the Super Bowl against the Cardinals.

This past Sunday, Woodley really wasn’t rushing the passer very much until the 4th QTR when the Chargers were passing the ball on every down. Woodley was often very close to getting his hands on Rivers but was missing by inches. Throughout the game we also saw examples of Woodley lining up as a MLB and rushing the passer right up the middle…taking on the Center and San Diego’s Guards. We put together a quick video to show you some of the alignments, near misses, and zone coverages.

Galax Steeler
10-09-2009, 04:55 AM
I don't think we will have to worry Woodley will get his share of sacks this year. He just isn't a pure pass rusher on every play. He is helping defend the pass as well.

revefsreleets
10-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Paging: Steeldude!

This is EXACTLY what I said all along...and your response to me was to bash me and tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Read.
Listen.
Learn.

Concerning this blurb, I GUARANTEE you Wood was not dropping into coverage much last year. This is his growing and evolving into a complete Steelers 3-4 OLB. There was already some statistical evidence of this, as last year he had only 2 passes defensed through 16 games, and he already has 2 through just 4 games this year. He'll be fine...and he's CERTAINLY NOT slow!

solardave
10-09-2009, 08:39 AM

This is EXACTLY what I said all along...and your response to me was to bash me and tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Read.
Listen.
Learn.

Concerning this blurb, I GUARANTEE you Wood was not dropping into coverage much last year. This is his growing and evolving into a complete Steelers 3-4 OLB. There was already some statistical evidence of this, as last year he had only 2 passes defensed through 16 games, and he already has 2 through just 4 games this year. He'll be fine...and he's CERTAINLY NOT slow!

It's true he's been dropping into coverage more but is it a process or is it because we're missing Troy?It seems like Harrison has been in coverage a little more too.

revefsreleets
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Could be...could just be that they changed their defensive assignments in general. Either way, the defense will continue to evolve to stay ahead of the way offenses try to attack it...

stlrtruck
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM
why is it when our guys are lacking in sacks it's media coverage until marsha or favre does something, but very little has been said about players like DeMarcus Ware who as of last week (probably still) is without a sack.

Steeldude
10-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Read.
Listen.
Learn.

still trolling, revs? you are the one who started bashing. go back an look, hypocrite.

this is one person's opinion. if he wanted to make a better analysis he should have compared harrison's assignments as well. this is also just one game he analyzed, not all 4.

all i said was "has woodley put on extra weight this season? he appears slow in containment and pursuit" nowhere did i say he wasn't doing anything or that he wouldn't get sacks this season, but as usual, you cried and started in with your typical, empty rants again. it's your usual MO on here. :coffee:

revefsreleets
10-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Yes, that makes sense...it's certainly proof positive that Woodley is slow, because the Steelers would certainly put him back in pass coverage more if he's slower.:doh:

Face it, it was stupid and simplistic argument, without merit, based on "one persons opinion" (yours) who filters everything Steelers related through a negative filter. IF one of our OLB's was recognizably slower, you'd see 20 articles about it...

Dismissed.

WH
10-10-2009, 06:22 AM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7919

I fould Lamar in case anyone thought for a second he was missing.

solardave
10-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Yes, that makes sense...it's certainly proof positive that Woodley is slow, because the Steelers would certainly put him back in pass coverage more if he's slower.:doh:

Face it, it was stupid and simplistic argument, without merit, based on "one persons opinion" (yours) who filters everything Steelers related through a negative filter. IF one of our OLB's was recognizably slower, you'd see 20 articles about it...

Dismissed.

I did hear that Woodley gained a few pounds and he looks heavier but I don't see him being slower. He has been in coverage a lot more since Troy's been hurt. So has Harrison. The pressure is coming more from Smith and Hampton lately as a result and we all know these guys are used to taking up double teams.They're not exactly sack machines. You watch what happens when we get Troy back healthy. The sack gates will open.:tt04:

Steeldude
10-10-2009, 08:26 AM
because the Steelers would certainly put him back in pass coverage more if he's slower

:yawn: tell me, was brent alexander fast or slow? did the coaches have him in the secondary? was flowers fast or slow? did the coaches have him in the secondary? when you play a zone your overall speed is not as crucial. they have even dropped hampton back in coverage. gildon was a duck-footed turtle, but he was in coverage. no one is saying his speed, whether slower or the same, is enough for the coaches from dropping him into coverage.

you'd see 20 articles about it

and we are seeing articles about woodley aren't we? :coffee:

without merit,

so then how did harrison outrun him from the other side of the field? you still haven't answered. i don't care how many times you stomp your feet and cry, that doesn't answer the question. let's see, woodley has reportedly added weight this season. when you add weight your speed CAN be affected. that is not without merit, genius.

it's certainly proof positive that Woodley is slow

when did i say anything was proof positive he was slow? try answering, don't run from the question like a gutless troll again. :troll: you have been proven to be a hypocrite. what's going to be next?

it was stupid and simplistic argument

argument? i said, "has woodley put on extra weight this season? he appears slow in containment and pursuit". i wasn't starting an argument. i merely asked a simple question and you started whining like you usually do on here. notice the word "appear"? i did not say he was slower as a fact. try to remember that people all over the world are going to have different opinions and observations than you. don't start acting like a jerk behind a keyboard about it. you remind me so much of the kordell lovers back in the day.

you can run along now.

revefsreleets
10-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Sorry, chuckles, I ain't goin' anywhere...I'll be around all season and I don't forget stupid things like this quickly. I LOVE the irony of you, one of the whinier posters on the board continually projecting your own "Wah!" factor onto me. Carry on...it's quite amusing to watch you lose your cool as you dig yourself a deeper and deeper hole and try to fill it in with bullshit.

Back to the content: We ARE seeing articles about Woodley...MOSTLY stating how his role has changed and EXPANDED and that he's being dropped into coverage MORE which pretty much explains most of the complaints about him this year. Even IF the man gained 8 lbs, he went from what? 257 to 265 lbs...a man that big will never be running 4.3 40's, AND 8 lbs represents a mere 3% gain (and this is NOT fat, it's muscle...I've never seen anyone slow from gaining a little muscle weight...almost always the opposite). Either way, it's not enough weight to VISIBLY slow an NFL player.

Your explanation is stupid, and your examples terrible. Flowers and Alexander were Safeties, NOT LB's. Casey Hampton would drop into coverage on the RARE occasion whether he weighed 300lbs or 400 lbs, because that's what NT's DO in the 3-4. Woodley in increased coverage is a new wrinkle, an ADDITION to his game, and they would NOT expand him into that role if he had slowed considerably from last year to this.

Woodley's game hasn't slowed, he's not noticeably slower, any statistical anomalies from last year to this have already been explained away, it was a stupid observation, and it's time to move on.

But if you want to keep doing this, we have all year...

GBMelBlount
10-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I wonder if we are overcompensating for Polamalu's absence.

As for Woodley.....Bench his fat ass. :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
10-10-2009, 12:11 PM
As far as I see it, sacks pad the stats, but sometimes his hurries or pressures are what get the jobs done. For instance last year in the cowboys game, what did woodley do? He got pressure on romo which forced him to make an errant throw for a pick 6. If he would of gotten a sack then the game might of changed to force overtime.