PDA

View Full Version : Arians: Parker still the starter

mesaSteeler
10-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Arians: Parker still the starter
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_647167.html#
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 9, 2009

Scott Brown is the Steelers beat writer. He can be reached via e-mail. Also check out Brown's blog

Even after Rashard Mendenhall's breakout performance last Sunday, the pecking order in the Steelers' backfield hasn't changed.

"Willie Parker's a proven commodity," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of the injured veteran who is still first on the depth chart at running back. "When Rashard is (proven), then we'll re-evaluate him. I hope it gets to that problem. I'd like to have those two healthy at the same time."

The Steelers are not there yet.

Parker did not practice Thursday because of turf toe. The injury has put his availability for Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Detroit Lions in doubt, although Arians remains hopeful Parker will play.

Mendenhall rushed for 165 yards and two touchdowns while starting in place of Parker in the Steelers' 38-28 win over the San Diego Chargers. If Mendenhall plays well against the Lions, Arians said, "then, yes, you've got to look to re-evaluate the number of carries both guys get."

In addition to Parker, tight end David Johnson (ankle) didn't practice yesterday.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee), guard Chris Kemoeatu (ankle) and linebacker Andre Frazier (shoulder) were limited in practice.

Polamalu, who has been out since spraining his knee on Sept. 10, looks like a long shot to play in Detroit. He does, however, seem encouraged with the progress he has made this week.

"I got more reps in than I did (Wednesday)," the five-time Pro Bowler said. "I feel better."

Kemoeatu, coming off one of the best games of his career, said he plans on fully participating in practice today and playing Sunday.

Borski
10-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Obviously you can't make a judgment on a one time performance, But FWP should be worried because by the time Willie gets healthy Mendy might have racked up a few great games and they might have already started to re-evaluate the starting position.

As much as I have always been a fan of FWP, if Mendy can keep playing like he did the other night you have to make him the starter.

Lets see if he can stay hot first though.

MACH1
10-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Willie's as good as gone after the season, might as well get Mendy in there and get him some experience and see what happens.

MasterOfPuppets
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
I'd like to have those two healthy at the same time." :uhh:

steelreserve
10-09-2009, 02:33 AM
I'm not usually one to say Arians sucks, but ... dude. If Arians really can't see that Parker sucks, then Arians sucks.

Seriously, Bruce, LET PARKER SIT ON THE BENCH! IT WILL MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A GENIUS!

Steelers & I
10-09-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm not usually one to say Arians sucks, but ... dude. If Arians really can't see that Parker sucks, then Arians sucks.

Seriously, Bruce, LET PARKER SIT ON THE BENCH! IT WILL MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A GENIUS!

I sure as hell hope that Arians isn't empowered to make those types of decisions. If he is, then I would almost feel obligated to say that Tomlin sucks for empowering Arians with starting lineup decisions. He's JUST the offensive coordinator, I'm sure that he has "some" input but certainly not the final word.

solardave
10-09-2009, 03:19 AM
:uhh:

So would I but Willie has not made it through a complete season in how long? I can't see him signed to a new long term deal. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe they bring Redman in and let him complete for the backup to Rashard.

Galax Steeler
10-09-2009, 04:22 AM
I don't think you can take Parkers job from him based on one game but if Rashard keeps the hot hand then how could you not make him the starting running back.

Steelers & I
10-09-2009, 04:30 AM
I don't think you can take Parkers job from him based on one game but if Rashard keeps the hot hand then how could you not make him the starting running back.

Right on, and they didn't spend a 1st round draft choice on Mendenhall so that he could sit the bench for 2 or 3 years. They obviously expect big things from him sooner rather than later.

Preacher
10-09-2009, 04:42 AM

OH goodness. Here we go again. I look forward to seeing how Willie runs when the first time he gets touched is 1 - 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, like Mendy did this week.

Oh, BTW, how did mendy do when he was met in teh backfield? He was dropped FOR A LOSS.

Steelers & I
10-09-2009, 05:16 AM
OH goodness. Here we go again. I look forward to seeing how Willie runs when the first time he gets touched is 1 - 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, like Mendy did this week.

Oh, BTW, how did mendy do when he was met in teh backfield? He was dropped FOR A LOSS.

No, never happened. :coffee:

WH
10-09-2009, 05:52 AM
As long as Bruce Arians continues to run the same scheme he did in Weeks 1, 2, and 3, no team will respect Willie Parker as serious threat.

If he changes his scheme (showing an ability to adapt that we hadn't seen until week 4), abandons zone blocking, and gives Willie Parker the full time fullback he has always dreamed about - Parker may still be a threat.

If Arians continues to be as pig headed and :banging: as we all have come to see him, Parker is going to look like garbage until he goes to another team.

Steelers & I
10-09-2009, 05:59 AM
As long as Bruce Arians continues to run the same scheme he did in Weeks 1, 2, and 3, no team will respect Willie Parker as serious threat.

If he changes his scheme (showing an ability to adapt that we hadn't seen until week 4), abandons zone blocking, and gives Willie Parker the full time fullback he has always dreamed about - Parker may still be a threat.

If Arians continues to be as pig headed and :banging: as we all have come to see him, Parker is going to look like garbage until he goes to another team.

Kill that talk man. I've done my share of bashing but WHY bash Arians when the offense looked as good as it did last week? Don't jinx us dude. There's nothing to complain about right now. This new trend that we saw last week may continue and if that does indeed become the case, then NO ONE should have anything to complain about concerning the offense. Be happy man, the Steelers are in the beginning stages of a LONG winning streak, you'll see.

WH
10-09-2009, 06:11 AM
[/B] WHY bash Arians when the offense looked as good as it did last week?

I bash Arians due to how he has mishandled Willie Parker. Trust me, I want them both to succeed. Their success equals my enjoyment. But when your Running Back flat out says ''I run better behind a fullback'' why do you come out and say:

"There's not a fullback on the roster," Arians said. "There's a running back who plays fullback, a tight end who plays fullback. I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one." at the beginning of the season.

Then the week after Parker goes down injured (again), Arians brings in Doug Legursky to play Fullback for Mendenhall vs. San Diego.

Arians says he's number 1 on the depth chart, but, something tells me he's not #1 in his heart.

fansince'76
10-09-2009, 06:34 AM
:rolleyes:

Slick93
10-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Call me crazy, but why not ride the hot hand. Sure you can't judge a guy by one game but after the game Mendy had last week I'd go so far to say he at least deserves the start again this week. It seems common sense to me, oh wait...

revefsreleets
10-09-2009, 07:13 AM

My thoughts exactly...every one of these threads devolves into Parker/Arians bashing within 10 posts.

SteelGhost
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
I bash Arians due to how he has mishandled Willie Parker. Trust me, I want them both to succeed. Their success equals my enjoyment. But when your Running Back flat out says ''I run better behind a fullback'' why do you come out and say:

at the beginning of the season.

Then the week after Parker goes down injured (again), Arians brings in Doug Legursky to play Fullback for Mendenhall vs. San Diego.

Arians says he's number 1 on the depth chart, but, something tells me he's not #1 in his heart.

I was thinking about the same thing. Maybe Arians said that only in respect of FWP's past production :noidea: Sorry that Willie is injury prone, maybe we will have more playing time in 2010 with another team.

steelpride12
10-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I still like Parker as the starter. Do you remember how great he was for us before his injury bug came along. The Super Bowl run, his over 200 yards against the Clowns. This guy was key for us and I still think will be for the rest of the season.

If he doesn't produce or stays injured the finals weeks then sure he won't be here at the end of the season. But he still has alot to prove and playoffs or not have many games in which he can do so, so lets not count FWP out just yet.

steelreserve
10-09-2009, 12:12 PM

The reason Parker gets met in the backfield so often is because he lets people meet him there. He'd gain so many more yards if he just acted like a normal running back and went forward to take the defenders on.

And sorry ... as long as he continues to suck, I'm going to continue to say he sucks.

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Blah!

Mumble Mumble BLAH BLAH!

Mumble PARKER BLAH!

Mendenhall BLAH Mumble Blah blah blah

Snide comment Blah

Negative input Blah!

Mumble grumble Sucks Blah!

How's that? Am I in the spirit of this thread?

steelreserve
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Let's see ...

complaining about Parker -- check.

pushback against Parker complaints -- check

vague semi-complaining about Arians/O-line -- check

complaining about the complaining -- check

yeah, I think this thread has gone through the complete cycle already.

And in only three pages! See, the fans are getting more efficient as the season goes along, too.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I think this is more lip service than anything. A starter isn't supposed to lose his job due to injury, that's an unwritten rule in sports.

They also don't want Parker to get down and possibly become a distraction.

So if Mendy keeps his production up while Parker is hurt, I can see the Steelers saying they want to wait until Parker is "100%" until he comes back.

steel9guy
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I think Mendenhall should be the starter, but I also think that he needs to earn it like everyone else should. One good game is not enough to start and I'm worried about the way he is carrying the ball. Every play he has his arm out and looks like he's about to fumble.

WH
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I think this is more lip service than anything. A starter isn't supposed to lose his job due to injury, that's an unwritten rule in sports.

Tell Tommy Maddox that.

Preacher
10-09-2009, 02:41 PM
The reason Parker gets met in the backfield so often is because he lets people meet him there. He'd gain so many more yards if he just acted like a normal running back and went forward to take the defenders on.

And sorry ... as long as he continues to suck, I'm going to continue to say he sucks.

I didn't know Parker had to block on the O line before he took the handoff :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
10-09-2009, 03:10 PM
So would I but Willie has not made it through a complete season in how long? I can't see him signed to a new long term deal. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe they bring Redman in and let him complete for the backup to Rashard. actually my point was he has had them both healthy for games, and when it has occurred, parker STILL gets 98% of the carries reguardless whether he has success or not..

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I think Mendenhall should be the starter, but I also think that he needs to earn it like everyone else should. One good game is not enough to start and I'm worried about the way he is carrying the ball. Every play he has his arm out and looks like he's about to fumble.

he has had a problem with that too, fumbling the ball, and that can turn a game around real quick.

Psyychoward86
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
No, never happened. :coffee:

Uh, yes it did. And he's still a work in progress. Anytime he couldn't find a hole right away, he did dance around quite a bit at times, and even when he was picking up yards, he ran way too upright. That Chargers defense has been overrated the last two years. It's even worse without Jamal Williams. A LOT worse.

scsteeler
10-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Obviously you can't make a judgment on a one time performance, But FWP should be worried because by the time Willie gets healthy Mendy might have racked up a few great games and they might have already started to re-evaluate the starting position.

As much as I have always been a fan of FWP, if Mendy can keep playing like he did the other night you have to make him the starter.

Lets see if he can stay hot first though.

I hope Mendy Does make the coaches look to make changes at RB competition brings out the best in people or you lose your job in the process, nothing wrong with having 2 good RB's more for defenses to worry about.

markymarc
10-10-2009, 02:52 PM
FWP is our starter, but Mendenhall is showing why he can be a #1 RB for the Steelers. It is very nice to have depth at the RB spot.

AllD
10-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Mendy keeps cranking out 100+ yard games and takes care of the ball, then we will have two starters or whatever politically correct term BA can come up with.

STEELERZNC
10-10-2009, 06:24 PM
IF THE STEELERS ARE SMART THEY WILL STICK WITH MENDENHALL AND LET PARKER GO AFTER THIS SEASON HE IS TO FRAGILE AND NOT THE STYLE OF BACK THE STEELERS NEED.

Borski
10-10-2009, 06:49 PM
IF THE STEELERS ARE SMART THEY WILL STICK WITH MENDENHALL AND LET PARKER GO AFTER THIS SEASON HE IS TO FRAGILE AND NOT THE STYLE OF BACK THE STEELERS NEED.

What!? I can't hear you the internet is too loud!

billybob
10-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Willie can stay off the field for all i care , until he is 100 % healthy .When play-off time comes , and believe me it's coming , then we will have a different look for whomever we will be facing . Save the best for last kind of thing . He is no Bettis , but there is no harm in saving him till the end . Fresh Willie parker , is better than Fast Willie Parker in my book .
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

billybob
10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
:Maybe Tomlins' statement about "running Willie until the wheels fall off", has some meaning after all . What is turf toe anyway ? A sprained big toe ?
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

HughC
10-10-2009, 09:27 PM
NFL running backs have a shelf life not much longer than a half gallon of milk. Time to move on.

BlastFurnace
10-10-2009, 09:29 PM
There is enough room for both of them to play plenty. We will need Willie before the year is over.

Get well soon Willie.