PDA

View Full Version : Obama Wins Nobel Prize????????

revefsreleets
10-09-2009, 06:16 AM
REALLY?

What's next, selling these things at garage sales? First Gore gets one for lies and junk science, now Obama gets one for....um.....nothing much, really.

It will be interesting to see what much more deserving person or persons were passed up for this award.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_nobel_peace

By KARL RITTER and MATT MOORE, Associated Press Writers Karl Ritter And Matt Moore, Associated Press Writers – 5 mins ago
OSLO – President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.
The stunning choice made Obama the third sitting U.S. president to win the Nobel Peace Prize and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.
Speculation had focused on Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, a Colombian senator and a Chinese dissident, along with an Afghan woman's rights activist.
The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage. The plaudit appeared to be a slap at President George W. Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for resorting to largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
Rather than recognizing concrete achievement, the 2009 prize appeared intended to support initiatives that have yet to bear fruit: reducing the world stock of nuclear arms, easing American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthening the U.S. role in combating climate change.
"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the Nobel Committee said. "In the past year Obama has been a key person for important initiatives in the U.N. for nuclear disarmament and to set a completely new agenda for the Muslim world and East-West relations."
He added that the committee endorsed "Obama's appeal that 'Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges.'"
President Theodore Roosevelt won the award in 1906 and President Woodrow Wilson won in 1919.
The committee chairman said after awarding the 2002 prize to former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, for his mediation in international conflicts, that it should be seen as a "kick in the leg" to the Bush administration's hard line in the buildup to the Iraq war.
Five years later, the committee honored Bush's adversary in the 2000 presidential election, Al Gore, for his campaign to raise awareness about global warming.
The Nobel committee received a record 205 nominations for this year's prize though it was not immediately apparent who nominated Obama.
"The exciting and important thing about this prize is that it's given too someone ... who has the power to contribute to peace," Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said.
Nominators include former laureates; current and former members of the committee and their staff; members of national governments and legislatures; university professors of law, theology, social sciences, history and philosophy; leaders of peace research and foreign affairs institutes; and members of international courts of law.
The Nelson Mandela Foundation welcomed the award on behalf of its founder Nelson Mandela, who shared the 1993 Peace Prize with then-South African President F.W. DeKlerk for their efforts at ending years of apartheid and laying the groundwork for a democratic country.
"We trust that this award will strengthen his commitment, as the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, to continue promoting peace and the eradication of poverty," the foundation said.
In his 1895 will, Alfred Nobel stipulated that the peace prize should go "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses."
Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which are awarded by Swedish institutions, he said the peace prize should be given out by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Sweden and Norway were united under the same crown at the time of Nobel's death.
The committee has taken a wide interpretation of Nobel's guidelines, expanding the prize beyond peace mediation to include efforts to combat poverty, disease and climate change.
___
Associated Press Writer Ian MacDougall contributed to this report.

fansince'76
10-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Rather than recognizing concrete achievement, the 2009 prize appeared intended to support initiatives that have yet to bear fruit: reducing the world stock of nuclear arms, easing American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthening the U.S. role in combating climate change.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the Nobel Committee said.

HOPE! CHANGE! I didn't realize he campaigned in Scandinavia too. :coffee:

X-Terminator
10-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Don't you actually have to accomplish something to win the Nobel Prize?

Slick93
10-09-2009, 06:45 AM

Apparently not anymore. I used to think the Nobel Prize was a huge honor...now I'm not so sure. I just don't get why the entire world seems ready to drop to their knees for this guy. What has he done???

GBMelBlount
10-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Then my daughter should win Nobel preace prize as well.

Her nightly prayers are adorable.

"Dear God,

Please give homes to all the homeless, feed all of the hungry and make everyone get along and stop fighting."

Seriously, she has the most kind & loving heart I have ever seen....but again, she is only 9 years old & still believes in Santa clause, Peter Pan & the tooth fairy.

in her next 30 years of life, she needs only repeat this mantra and change "God" to "Government" and she too can win the Nobel Peace Prize, I am sure of it.....

fansince'76
10-09-2009, 06:52 AM
The Nobel committee received a record 205 nominations for this year's prize though it was not immediately apparent who nominated Obama.

I have ten bucks that says it was Oprah.

revefsreleets
10-09-2009, 07:23 AM
More analysis:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_nobel_analysis

Basically even the most ardent Obama lemmings are going to have a difficult time justifying this award. He simply did not deserve it...

KeiselPower99
10-09-2009, 08:17 AM
He had to win something since he didnt get the Olympics. This things are junk now.

The_WARDen
10-09-2009, 08:20 AM
grats. That amkes 2 elected presidents thsi decade...too bad we had the talking monkey steal the one election.

fansince'76
10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
grats. That amkes 2 elected presidents thsi decade...too bad we had the talking monkey steal the one election.

He didn't deserve the one he got either, but then again it's glaringly apparent the selection process/criteria for these things is dubious at best.

For Nobel voters, though, the award could partly a slap at Obama's predecessor as about lauding Obama. Former President George W. Bush was reviled by much of the world for his cowboy diplomacy, Iraq war and snubbing of European priorities like global warming. Remember that the Nobel prize has a long history of being awarded more for the committee's aspirations than for others' accomplishments — for Mideast peace or a better South Africa, for instance.

IOW, just more Bu-bu-bu-bu-Bush!

GBMelBlount
10-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Talking monkey that was elected this decade? I'm not really sure that narrows it down to one president. :chuckle:

...and are you talking about becoming president by stealing the election or being elected by promising to steal? :wink02:

SteelerEmpire
10-09-2009, 08:45 AM
This guy (Obama) puts out what he "plans" to do and wins the Nobel Peace Prize because of it.... I'd like to see what he gets from the world after his plans do come to light. Maybe Russia, China and the EU will make him their emperor.....

Godfather
10-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I was just reading FARK. Even the liberals are scratching their heads on this one.

revefsreleets
10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
My friend from DC just texted me and said CNN is trying to paste together some amalgam of speeches in order to attempt to justify this travesty.

He's HUGE D apologist and Obama junkie, and the best he could come up with was "It'll increase our standing with the rest of the World, so it's good for the Country".

"Listen up little Johnny...when you grow up, if you create a myth about something and make it sound scientific, and get somebody like Leonardo Decaprio on your side, you can win a Nobel Prize if you make a nice PowerPoint presentation. If you don't want to work even THAT hard, just make a bunch of promises you can't keep, try to do WAY too many things at once, fail at almost all of them because you can't spend enough time getting any one thing done right, and that's another way you can win a Nobel Prize. It's a million dollars, too!"

devilsdancefloor
10-09-2009, 08:52 AM
http://i33.tinypic.com/n2jzhz.jpg

PisnNapalm
10-09-2009, 09:28 AM
*facepalm*

The entire world has been suckered by this snake oil salesman.

EDIT:: Email them what you think.. comments@nobelprize.org

X-Terminator
10-09-2009, 09:57 AM
http://i33.tinypic.com/n2jzhz.jpg

A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

Godfather
10-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't hate the guy or anything.

But it's irritating to see him handed all these unearned accolades based on a cult of personality. I guess I just don't care for Golden Boy/media darling types.

hindes204
10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
He was nominated for this just 12 days after taking office.......what the hell did he accomplish in his first 12 days to deserve this

SteelersinCA
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
You guys act like this had credibility before he was awarded it, Carter, Arafat, Gore? You people stuck in places where it snows, let me know how winter and global warming turn out for you this year!

steelreserve
10-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Wow. And I thought it was bad that the media crowns the Patriots champions in the preseason every year before they even do anything meaningful. I didn't think they did the same thing with the Nobel Prize.

cubanstogie
10-09-2009, 12:07 PM

considering the voting for this took place after he had a whopping 11 days in office I would say no to your question.

AllD
10-09-2009, 12:34 PM
There is a $1 million cash award that goes along with the prize. When I heard he won, I asked wtf did he do to win it?

He is getting awards like Brady gets RTP flags (gifts).

Steel_12
10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
lol at all of you upset that he wins something that many other undeserving presidents have won.

Congratulations President Obama!

Edman
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
People are acting like the award had credibility.

The Nobel Prize is worth bupkus nowadays.

KeiselPower99
10-09-2009, 01:41 PM
lol at all of you upset that he wins something that many other undeserving presidents have won.

He won it for 14 days in the White House. He won it for asumptions that he was gonnna do so much and this would be a fitting tribute to a great man. The award dosent fit. This is kinda like getting a Grammy for singing in the shower.

Indo
10-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Umm...EXACTLY 3 (three) other President's have won the Nobel Peace Prize...not "many other Presidents"
(did you even read the article...)

They were Teddy Roosevelt in 1906

Woodrow Wilson in 1919

and Jimmy Carter in 2002 (after his Presidency)

How were they undeserving? Do you even know why any of them won? Obama was nominated just a week and a half after he became President. What had he done before that to justify the nomination?

MACH1
10-09-2009, 03:32 PM
You guys act like this had credibility before he was awarded it, Carter, Arafat, Gore? You people stuck in places where it snows, let me know how winter and global warming turn out for you this year!

I wish it was warm! We already had our first snow storm last week, woke up to six inhces of snow and lots of broken trees with the green leaves still on them. :banging:

As far as the Nobel, I didn't realize they handed those suckers out for being an apologist.

Preacher
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Umm...EXACTLY 3 (three) other President's have won the Nobel Peace Prize...not "many other Presidents"
(did you even read the article...)

They were Teddy Roosevelt in 1906

Woodrow Wilson in 1919

and Jimmy Carter in 2002 (after his Presidency)

How were they undeserving? Do you even know why any of them won? Obama was nominated just a week and a half after he became President. What had he done before that to justify the nomination?

Actually, T.R. was pretty much a political gift. Buried in the facts is the fact that Japan had already asked T.R. to orchestrate a peace deal. Russia was headed towards a revolution. We play up T.R.'s role, because this was in reality, the first BIG role the US had on the world stage. But TR was as much an observer as a contributor. His tally on how well negotiations were going came more from keeping a check on the length and amount of telex's going to the homelands as from what was actually happening.

Heck, He found out about the truce being agreed upon by a telex.
At this same time, Brittan and France has signed a type of peace agreement, but one supported Russia, the other Japan via agreement. The Nobel Peace prize was as much a slap at those two nations and their centuries of politics as it was an honor to TR.

Carter.... Simple. It was a rip on Bush... as is this.

Really is a shame that it has been a political thing...then again, it seems it always has leaned that way.

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Duh People...

he got the Nobel Peace Prize for the Beer Summit!

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/07/30/Beer%20summit%20one.jpg

Hines0wnz
10-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Obama will cap it off with an Oscar win next year.

stillers4me
10-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow....got to hand it to the guy to win a Nobel prize while he was campaigning for president. I just don't know what to say about that. That part on his resume about being a community organizer is getting alot of milage for him.

Preacher
10-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Duh People...

he got the Nobel Peace Prize for the Beer Summit!

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/07/30/Beer%20summit%20one.jpg

Hmmm... Why have a beer summit when not everyone is drinking beer?

Why have cream and sugar on the table... and a mug that looks like it is full of tea?

More poor planning? I really could care less about the actual "beer summit" but it just goes to show another situation where he probably didn't do all his homework before throwing something out there....

See, since HE drinks beer, EVERYONE drinks beer right?

SteelersinCA
10-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I wish it was warm! We already had our first snow storm last week, woke up to six inhces of snow and lots of broken trees with the green leaves still on them. :banging:

As far as the Nobel, I didn't realize they handed those suckers out for being an apologist.

I feel for you but it warms my heart to know that "global warming" means more Steeler games in the snow!!!!

fansince'76
10-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Obama will cap it off with an Oscar win next year.

And NFL MVP this year.

Preacher
10-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I feel for you but it warms my heart to know that "global warming" means more Steeler games in the snow!!!!

:rofl:

Speaking of which..what do you think of that cold snap we just had here... DANG it got cold fast!

Preacher
10-09-2009, 05:05 PM
And NFL MVP this year.

Come on FS... stop being silly. Everyone knows that Obama doesn't rate as high as Brady!

MACH1
10-09-2009, 05:07 PM
And NFL MVP this year.

No no no, NBA MVP.

Shoes
10-09-2009, 05:24 PM
It's amazing that those who have worked hard in Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, or Economics have to wait a life time to get their "prize". Wonder why it took so long for Mother Teresa to get one?

The Patriot
10-09-2009, 06:38 PM
President fails to bring Olympics to Chicago.
Response: "Yeah! Suck it, Obama!"

President wins Nobel Peace Prize.
Response: "This is bull crap!"

silver & black
10-09-2009, 06:45 PM

So... you think Obama winning the Nobel Prize is justified?

The Patriot
10-09-2009, 06:47 PM
So... you think Obama winning the Nobel Prize is justified?

No, I just think the angry response is funny.

silver & black
10-09-2009, 06:55 PM

That's cool. I really don't care that he won, but it does cheapen the award, in my opinion. Not because Obama won it... because I don't understand why he won it. I thought the Nobel Prize was for outstanding accomplishment in one's field or great contribution to humanity. I don't see where Obama qualifies in either catagory.

stairway27
10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
There sure have been a lot of Terrorist arrests lately in the US. They must not have gotten the memo. Peace is great, but the last time I checked, there are still a bunch of crazy mo' fo's out there waiting for us to let our guard down.

tony hipchest
10-09-2009, 06:58 PM

i woulda never guessed we had so many ardent hard core fans of the nobel peace prize on this board.

the outrage is amusing.

maybe obama won the award for simply being the 1st and only black man to be elected president in the US. :noidea:

NOBODY in the world ever thought that would happen.

silver & black
10-09-2009, 07:05 PM
i woulda never guessed we had so many ardent hard core fans of the nobel peace prize on this board.

the outrage is amusing.

maybe obama won the award for simply being the 1st and only black man to be elected president in the US. :noidea:

NOBODY in the world ever thought that would happen.

Nobody thought what would happen... Obama getting elected, or a black man getting elected?

Why is that a justification for winning an award that is about great contribution and accomplishment? If you are saying his being is elected is a great accomplishment ,well... I don't kniow what to say to that.

The Patriot
10-09-2009, 07:15 PM
That's cool. I really don't care that he won, but it does cheapen the award, in my opinion. Not because Obama won it... because I don't understand why he won it. I thought the Nobel Prize was for outstanding accomplishment in one's field or great contribution to humanity. I don't see where Obama qualifies in either catagory.

Remember that Al Gore won this award.

[edit] for inventing the internet.

silver & black
10-09-2009, 07:19 PM

I know... seems like everything has been compromised these days. :sofunny:

PisnNapalm
10-09-2009, 08:01 PM

Many undeserving presidents have won...?

1906 Theodore Roosevelt
1919 Woodrow Wilson
2002 Jimmy Carter
2009 Barack Obama

The first two recipients deserved it. BHO isn't worthy of carrying Roosevelt's jock let alone being compared to him. Woodrow Wilson founded the League of Nations, the precursor to the United Nations. He also saddled us with the Federal Reserve Bank.... meh...

Jimmy Carter... Barack is easily his equal, president-wise.

steeler-nut1
10-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Carter is more than likely Obomas idle. Here come 20% unemployment.

Vincent
10-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd like to see what he gets from the world after his plans do come to light. Maybe Russia, China and the EU will make him their emperor.....

They don't respect him high enough to disrespect him...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gC3bSJG9CC8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gC3bSJG9CC8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> :toofunny::rofl:

"Incredulity" in high places http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6868905.ece

Its just this sort of thing that has forced the global warming nitwits to modify their hysteria to "climate change". http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20091009_Phillies_Notebook__Denver_s_unpredictable _weather_could_play_havoc_with_series.html

Wow. And I thought it was bad that the media crowns the Patriots champions in the preseason every year before they even do anything meaningful.

http://www.steelernation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32605

Come on FS... stop being silly. Everyone knows that Obama doesn't rate as high as Brady!

"After all 'president obama' has done for the Steelers" he'll be DPOY and league MVP for acts commensurate with those that "won" him the NPP.

He "won" it for inventing "global warming". :chuckle:

Jimmy Carter... Barack is easily his equal, president-wise.

My confidence in "president obama" is growing that he will eclipse the "accomplishments" of jimmuh cottah. jimmuh gave the Panama Canal and the Middle East to our enemies. bho is young and focused enough to give over the rest of the world.

The Patriot
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
They don't respect him high enough to disrespect him...

:shake02:

You think its funny that Russian leaders refused to shake his hand? Come on man, you don't have to like him but there is a line.

MACH1
10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
You think its funny that Russian leaders refused to shake his hand? Come on man, you don't have to like him but there is a line.

I also found it hilarious when he bowed to the diaperhead king. :shake02:

revefsreleets
10-10-2009, 03:51 AM

I certainly hope this recent bit of your misrepresentation isn't directed at me. In re Olympics, I simply pointed out that we spent a million bucks flying "The Arrogant One" and his posse to Copenhagen for something Chicago didn't want (and couldn't pay for) anyway.

Hmmmmm....that seems to be a common theme of Obama's administration.

Anyway, it's a sad day when the IOC sets much higher standards than the Nobel selection committee.

Finally, LOL BIG TIME at anyone who defends this award by attacking people who rightly point out that it was unearned. Doesn't it get old trying to defend this guy by, instead of actually DEFENDING him, just ripping people who don't apart?

Preacher
10-10-2009, 04:35 AM

That is the devolution of american politics... it is the same way that many americans found it funny when an Iraqi threw shoes at Bush.

Is there a line?

SteelerEmpire
10-10-2009, 08:52 AM
LINK: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33248241#33249779

http://open.salon.com/blog/jeseppi_trade_wildfeather/2009/01/31/files/king+obama1233407361.jpg

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Those Nominees Who Were Less "Worthy" of the Award:

Piedad Cordoba- Once kidnapped and twice targeted by death squads ...Córdoba participated as an official government mediator in the Humanitarian exchange discussions between the Government of Colombia and the FARC guerrilla group,. Her efforts led to a negotiated solution to the conflict.

Sima Samar, -Currently heads the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission...She obtained her degree in medicine in February 1982 from Kabul University, the first Hazara woman to do so...Distressed by the total lack of health care facilities for Afghan refugee women, she established in 1989 the Shuhada Organization and Shuhada Clinic in Quetta, Pakistan. The Shuhada Organization was dedicated to the provision of health care to Afghan women and girls, training of medical staff and to education. In the following years further branches of the clinic/hospital were opened throughout Afghanistan.

Morgan Tsvangirai-Prime Minister of Zimbabwe..He is the President of the Movement for Democratic Change. Tsvangirai is a key figure in the opposition to President Robert Mugabe...arrested and beaten several time for opposing Mugabe, he continues to run against the corrupt leader of the country and remains outspoken about the need for reform. Even with threats to his life he has continued to be outspoken in regards to the fact that Zimbabwe is in "a state of despair" and is "an unmitigated embarrassment to the African continent" due to its economic situation, and he also said when Mugabe is removed from power, those engaging in political violence would receive no amnesty from his government and that a new Zimbabwe government would be "based on the return of fundamental freedoms to the people of Zimbabwe.

Ingrid Betancourt Pulecio - a Colombian-French politician, former senator, anti-corruption activist. Betancourt was kidnapped by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) on 23 February 2002 and was rescued by Colombian security forces six and a half years later on 2 July 2008. She urged neighbouring presidents to help Colombia and continues to seek the political transformations in her country by democratic means.

Zivko Popovski-Cvetin -Artist and Humanitarian was nominated due his commitment as an artist, who creates and donates paintings with floral motives for over 30 years to further world awareness of humanitarian needs and peace initiatives. Thus far, he has donated more than 30 thousand paintings to institutions and individuals, including heads of state and parliament, local and foreign artists and has organised many solo exhibits.

Greg Mortenson - Humanitarian, author, international peace-maker, and former mountaineer from Bozeman, Montana. Mortenson is the co-founder (with Dr. Jean Hoerni) and director of the non-profit Central Asia Institute, and founder of the educational charity Pennies For Peace. He is the protagonist and co-author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission To Promote Peace... One School At A Time. The sequel, Stones Into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan is due for release on Dec 1, 2009. Cofounder of the Central Asia Institute. A non-profit organization promoting education and literacy, especially for girls, in remote mountain regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Thích Quảng Độ- a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, religious leader, and critic of the Vietnamese government. He is the current Patriarch of the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam, a currently banned religious body in Vietnam. He has criticised the current regime of Vietnam and has been jailed several times. In 2001, he launched the "Appeal for Democracy in Vietnam" plan and was placed under house arrest in Thanh Minh Temple in Saigon. He continues to speak out for freedom while under 24 hour a day guard.

The Patriot
10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
This decision had absolutely nothing to do with Obama. If you want to be angry, be angry at five people in Norway who did it as an endorsement of his efforts. Stop acting like he asked for this or even saw it coming. Jeez, Obama Derangement Syndrome alive and in full force.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2009, 11:41 AM
This decision had absolutely nothing to do with Obama. If you want to be angry, be angry at five people in Norway who did it as an endorsement of his efforts. Stop acting like he asked for this or even saw it coming. Jeez, Obama Derangement Syndrome alive and in full force.

Hmmmmm....I dont see anywhere or anything in what I wrote that implied or inferred blame to Obama. What I posted shows who was more worthy...period. In fact, since Obama had no part in who got the award, my post is actually more critical of those who decided on the recepient.

Funny...your knee jerk reaction actually shows you to be the one with the ignorant and biased opinion. Please feel free to prove me wrong in that assessment.

Closed-minded much?

revefsreleets
10-10-2009, 12:41 PM
This is funny...Obama won the award for doing nothing, but it's not HIS fault that he won for doing nothing!

And how DARE anyone post a list (thanks for that, by the way...knew it wouldn't take long for someone to compile it) showing others who actually DID deserve, through a culmination of a lifetime of struggle or hard work or both, to win the award.

Ohhhhhhhhkeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy...

Vincent
10-10-2009, 01:40 PM

I have seen a number of these puffed up conquistadors destroyed in my time. Its like clockwork. They preen about gloating in their self importance. They're intoxicated by their imagined station well above mere mortals. One that stands out was John DeLorean. I saw him in a post office one sunny afternoon pontificating his greatness to a gaggle of little old ladies. A month later he was nabbed in that FBI sting.

So yes, after having suffered the bho campaign and the beginnings of his "administration", I am amused by the utter contempt the russians showed him. Amused in a dark and perverted way, of course. I might even be a racist. :couch:

http://pajamasmedia.com/victordavishanson/the-power-of-payback

Nemesis Everywhere

I have believed in the power of the goddess Nemesis (“dispenser of dues”) ever since I was introduced to the concept as a teenager studying classics, especially in the texts of Hesiod, Herodotus, and Sophocles.

Some of you know her also as a variant of eastern Karma, or the folk notion of ‘what comes around, goes around’, or the now common “ain’t payback a bitch”? We all agree on the symptoms: overweening success and surfeit (koris) lead to hubris (gratuitous arrogance), which in turn promotes destructive behavior (atê), that at last calls you to the attention of divine Nemesis—who ensures your ruin. At Rhamnous on the Attic coast there is a beautiful temple to the goddess, proof of her ubiquity
and power.

Obama as all-knowing Oedipus

As sure as sun rises, you readers knew that, as early as 2007, Obama’s fiery rhetoric about the disaster in Iraq and the good war in Afghanistan was not only disingenuous, but would come lurking back to haunt him—especially given the efforts of the talented David Petraeus, and the myriad challenges of the age-old tribalism in Afghanistan.

And so it has. He now owns the “good” and “necessary” war that, according to Obama, we supposedly wrongly “took our eye off of.” Now at last Obama is free as he wished to go into Pakistan in hot pursuit of terrorists (and as he once boasted in the debates amid the trashing of the then big-target Bush administration.)*

Snap My Fingers—Guantanamo Closed!

Remember Guantanamo? He could have said in January: “Tough call. Eric Holder once thought it was fine. Where else do you put non-uniformed murderers, who are sort of foreign soldiers in a global war unlike domestic criminals, but yet not soldiers either as we have traditionally defined them at Geneva? We will have a long look at the facility, get bipartisan input from the Bush administration and the Congress, and then choose the bad rather than the worst choice.”

Nope. Instead, we got the hope and change soaring cadences about shutting it down within “a year” and “reset button” inanity—ad nauseam. That will prove to be impossible. Already he is throwing his Guantanamo czar under the bus, even as Mr. Craig blames (you guessed it) the Bush administration for his inability to depose of the detainees. (Did he really think that divine-sounding Germans and British leftists who shouted that we were running a Stalig would really want their own terrorists back home rather than in Cuba under lock and key?)

Snap Twice—Europeans Hypnotized

In fact, most contemporary meltdowns involve Nemesis. Did Obama imagine that he could wow cynical Europeans with diversity stories about Chicago, as if they were props at a campaign rally or guilt-ridden college deans? Yes, it worked in 2008, but already then his fatuousness was gaining the goddess’s attention. (I am careful when doing European interviews; even sympathetic Euros have at best an ironic streak, at worse a sort of delight in embarrassing you, given their world weariness and suspicion of anything that sounds of idealism or naïveté (cf. the old trope of ‘innocents abroad’). Obama should have learned all that from his Brandenburg Gate/Victory Column stunt two summers ago. (When he stands next to the smaller, but more significant Sarkozy, Obama now seems almost pre-teenish.)

And Then There is Always Letterman to the Rescue

Ditto David Letterman. It was not just that he indulged in the same sort of behavior as the butts of his jokes serially enjoyed, but that such jibes naturally turned attention to his own supposedly exempt lifestyle. If a Clinton or Edwards got caught up in the vanity of power, and needed the ego-boosting or enjoyment that younger flesh might impart, why did Letterman, given his similar character, think he was any different? Did he think the goddess was snoozing when he libeled the 14-year daughter of Sarah Palin as a dugout tart?

Be Careful….

The Greeks remind us that when success and bounty arrive, then, especially, it is time to be self-effacing, modest, generous, and forgiving. If not, retribution follows—whether because human nature dictates that the crowd wishes misfortune upon the haughty, or, as I confess that I believe, there is a sort of divine force that seeks to remind us of our own folly and can only do that in appropriately dramatic and timely fashion.

If it were true that the financial meltdown of last September and the tough time in Iraq were reminders to the Bush administration that once around 2003, coming off Wall Street surges and easy victories in Afghanistan and Iraq, they should have calmed down, and treaded softly (rather than ‘mission accomplished’ and ‘bring ‘em on’), so too Obama should have feared the goddess last winter.

Nemesis Was Watching, watching…

Nemesis has caught up with him in oh so many ways. From what we can tell, he was not a serious student, but rather a glib and politically astute observer, who rode affirmative action, identity politics, and campus trends (I am now gleaning this from his own autobiography) right through Occidental and Columbia to Harvard Law—without much scholarship. He was given much more attention at Chicago Law School for what he represented than what he accomplished. He arrogantly thought he could glide into the racist cauldron of Trinity Church, and glide out as an authentic African-American organizer of the Jesse Jackson sort.

His Senate career was similar—long on soaring rhetoric, in perpetual campaign mode, predicated on white liberal guilt and ease with a charismatic “other”—and short on actual accomplishment.

tony hipchest
10-10-2009, 02:00 PM
That is the devolution of american politics... it is the same way that many americans found it funny when an Iraqi threw shoes at Bush.

Is there a line?:link:

in reality, arent you just make believing and assuming so many americans found it funny?

The Patriot
10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Hmmmmm....I dont see anywhere or anything in what I wrote that implied or inferred blame to Obama. What I posted shows who was more worthy...period. In fact, since Obama had no part in who got the award, my post is actually more critical of those who decided on the recepient.

Funny...your knee jerk reaction actually shows you to be the one with the ignorant and biased opinion. Please feel free to prove me wrong in that assessment.

Closed-minded much?

Did I quote you or reference your post whatsoever?

Shoes
10-10-2009, 03:00 PM

If he would have refused the "prize" I could agree with you...but he didn't?

Tell me what those "efforts" were?

The Patriot
10-10-2009, 03:06 PM
If he would have refused the "prize" I could agree with you...but he didn't? :chuckle:
Then he'd be an arrogant SOB. He can't win.

Shoes
10-10-2009, 03:17 PM

I don't think that would have been the case at all. The problem I have is he did nothing to receive this Prize. The Nobel committee said it " wanted to promote the president just as it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union".

How in the world could they compare what Gorbachev did to what President Obama has done in his 9 months in office. This is nothing more than the Nobel committee trying to influence leaders as they tried with Arrafat. Giving the godfather of terror a peace prize!

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Did I quote you or reference your post whatsoever?

No but when you follow my post by saying:

If you want to be angry, be angry at five people in Norway who did it as an endorsement of his efforts. Stop acting like he asked for this or even saw it coming.

A reasonable person can assume since you didnt say "if people want to be angry..."

"You" in most circles would imply one person...and since you were up in arms right after my post, it is very apparant that you had a forum "vomit"...and are now backpedaling.

My post stands....as a legitimate reason why people are upset...and as to why his nomination should be questioned.

You should try and understand...all the rational people are doing it.:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2009, 03:30 PM

:bs:

No one including yourself even knew that he was nominated.

The Patriot
10-10-2009, 03:58 PM
No but when you follow my post by saying:

A reasonable person can assume since you didnt say "if people want to be angry..."

"You" in most circles would imply one person...and since you were up in arms right after my post, it is very apparant that you had a forum "vomit"...and are now backpedaling.

My post stands....as a legitimate reason why people are upset...and as to why his nomination should be questioned.

You should try and understand...all the rational people are doing it.:thumbsup:

You:
–pronoun
1. the pronoun of the second person singular or plural, used of the person or persons being addressed

:thumbsup:

[Edit] Actually, I'm wrong. I should have used "one", because when one is referring to an ambiguous person, one should use the word "one" as one does in everyday speech.

Preacher
10-10-2009, 04:15 PM
:link:

in reality, arent you just make believing and assuming so many americans found it funny?

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=shoes+at+bush&init=quick#/group.php?gid=39920574039&ref=search&sid=1443552486.443747676..1

http://www.zazzle.com/bush_shoes_thrown_hater_funny_bush_t_shirt-235741651183651229 (comment section-- just how many did find it funny--if not funny, isn't even MORE serious a line to cross than what Patriot posted?)

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/funny-or-not-man-throws-shoes-at-gw-bush-in-iraq-size-10what-do-you-think/question-209244/

Among others that I simply didn't want to post here.

Did I really have to do this? Did you REALLY not remember it? Wow..what a short memory.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2009, 04:30 PM
[Edit] Actually, I'm wrong. I should have used "one", because when one is referring to an ambiguous person, one should use the word "one" as one does in everyday speech.

I quess we will have to take your "word" for that.....Can you at least admit that he was undeserving based on two criteria? 1) lack of any accomplishment that deserved the prize. 2) lack of accomplishments compared to others nominated.

Preacher
10-10-2009, 04:41 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6868905.ece

The committee readily admits it was a political maneuver.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=shoes+at+bush&init=quick#/group.php?gid=39920574039&ref=search&sid=1443552486.443747676..1

http://www.zazzle.com/bush_shoes_thrown_hater_funny_bush_t_shirt-235741651183651229 (comment section-- just how many did find it funny--if not funny, isn't even MORE serious a line to cross than what Patriot posted?)

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/funny-or-not-man-throws-shoes-at-gw-bush-in-iraq-size-10what-do-you-think/question-209244/

Did I really have to do this? Did you REALLY not remember it? Wow..what a short memory.

TOTALLY SERIOUS!!!

Just went into the breakroom and watched MSNBC talking about peopel are "questioning Obamas reciept of the Nobel Prize". They showed the clip of Bush having the shoes thrown at him...4 Times!!!!! With the commentary of "Some think its better to have awards thrown your way, then it is to have shoes thrown your way."

This was the NEWS!!!...not a show on MSNBC!!!!!!

Seriously!!!!! Tthat is the utmost in biased reporting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Patriot
10-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I quess we will have to take your "word" for that.....Can you at least admit that he was undeserving based on two criteria? 1) lack of any accomplishment that deserved the prize. 2) lack of accomplishments compared to others nominated.

Read my signature.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Read my signature.

Lack of rational makes you look silly and makes you look like one of those excuse-making patriot fa......oh!

Never mind.

Preacher
10-10-2009, 06:13 PM
TOTALLY SERIOUS!!!

Just went into the breakroom and watched MSNBC talking about peopel are "questioning Obamas reciept of the Nobel Prize". They showed the clip of Bush having the shoes thrown at him...4 Times!!!!! With the commentary of "Some think its better to have awards thrown your way, then it is to have shoes thrown your way."

This was the NEWS!!!...not a show on MSNBC!!!!!!

Seriously!!!!! Tthat is the utmost in biased reporting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well... that is about what I would expect from an American News source.

tony hipchest
10-10-2009, 06:37 PM

precher, i got the memory of an elephant (or do you forget me telling you that)?

i started the thread on the subject on this board-

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=29935&highlight=bush

zazzle, facebook, and sodahead, huh (thanks for not posting the rest of the trash)? thats quite a reach to equate to a large portion of the population. anyone can go digging for dirt and most likely find it, but you make it sound like a huge portion of democrats were laughing.

i might as well say that EVERY republican is outraged about obama getting the nobel peace prize, therefore it is no comparisson.

steelwalls
10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Who cares about the Nobel Prize anymore anyway???... Heck they're probably just trying to get back on the map giving a very publicized figure like Obama the prize.

7SteelGal43
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
The Nobel Peace prize stopped meaning anything when Arafat won it.

Hines0wnz
10-11-2009, 02:08 AM
:link:

It is a fairly reasonable assumption based on Bush's unpopularity.

Dino 6 Rings
10-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I thought my beer summit post was pretty funny and in clean taste.

Hines0wnz
10-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I thought my beer summit post was pretty funny and in clean taste.

It was good, yes.

tony hipchest
10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
It is a fairly reasonable assumption based on Bush's unpopularity.

bu..bu...bu.. bush.

:coffee:

Hines0wnz
10-11-2009, 03:38 PM
bu..bu...bu.. bush.

:coffee:

Exactly. :wink02:

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Now the Norwegians are chiming in on exactly why they voted for Obama...not worth posting, as it's the equivalent of "yada, yada, yada", but interesting that they felt compelled to issue a statement. I'm wondering how often THAT happens.

The Patriot
10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Now the Norwegians are chiming in on exactly why they voted for Obama...not worth posting, as it's the equivalent of "yada, yada, yada", but interesting that they felt compelled to issue a statement. I'm wondering how often THAT happens.

Revs, this was a political move by the Prize Committee. Nobody is arguing that Obama accomplished something to earn this award. No president wants a Nobel Peace Prize six months into his presidency. Obama now has to deal with the fact that he is a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, and that's enough to factor into any man's psyche when faced with decisions like taking military action against Iran and North Korea.

It is apparent that the five man committee doesn't want the U.S. being such a strong military force on international affairs. That is the view of five people in Norway. It is completely irrelevant.

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Then he shouldn't have accepted the award...see my contemporary thread...

Godfather
10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Then he shouldn't have accepted the award...see my contemporary thread...

Main reason he should have turned it down is that it was a big FU to George Bush.

The Patriot
10-13-2009, 06:32 PM
He was nominated 2 *weeks* into his Presidency.
He hadn't even picked out the drapes yet. :noidea:

Since the names of the nominees are kept secret for 50 years, I doubt they told him.

Preacher
10-13-2009, 06:39 PM
precher, i got the memory of an elephant (or do you forget me telling you that)?

zazzle, facebook, and sodahead, huh (thanks for not posting the rest of the trash)? thats quite a reach to equate to a large portion of the population. anyone can go digging for dirt and most likely find it, but you make it sound like a huge portion of democrats were laughing.

i might as well say that EVERY republican is outraged about obama getting the nobel peace prize, therefore it is no comparisson.

Sigh...

So let's see here. The popular boards of average americans are not acceptable, blogs are not acceptable, I guess nothing is acceptable unless it agrees with you right? :rolleyes:

Get over yourself. Many MANY democrats thought it was absolutely hilarious. Just because you don't like this president reaping what his party sowed in the last 8 years doesn't mean you get to go back and change what they did.

I guess the Secret Service finding facebook serious enough to investigate it isn't enough... or its only serious when it is against Obama. This liberal Politony stuff confuses. I am used to logic.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Get over yourself.

*irony*

YES SIR! :salute:

Preacher
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM

*irony*

YES SIR! :salute:

Now you have me confused with those you work with.

I don't wear a uniform....

Irony? Most ironic thing is . . . well, never mind. It'll just start more politony and my brain hurts today.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Irony? Most ironic thing is . . . well, never mind. It'll just start more politony and my brain hurts today.

not just today....

i think your brain was hurt from the second you brought bu..bu..bu.. bush into a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with bu...bu..bu...bush . :hunch:

this is about obama and the nobel peace prize...

remember??? :doh:

"bu..bu..bu..lmao"

Preacher
10-13-2009, 07:00 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_nobel_peace

By KARL RITTER and MATT MOORE, . . .
The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage. The plaudit appeared to be a slap at President George W. Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for resorting to largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

The committee chairman said after awarding the 2002 prize to former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, for his mediation in international conflicts, that it should be seen as a "kick in the leg" to the Bush administration's hard line in the buildup to the Iraq war.

Five years later, the committee honored Bush's adversary in the 2000 presidential election, Al Gore, for his campaign to raise awareness about global warming.

Hmmm...That was from the Original Post... Now let's go back and look at your statement Tony....

not just today....

i think your brain was hurt from the second you brought bu..bu..bu.. bush into a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with bu...bu..bu...bush . :hunch:

this is about obama and the nobel peace prize...

remember??? :doh:

"bu..bu..bu..lmao"

I think you need that Elephant memory check... Cause the thread was actually about how Obama's Nobel Peace Prize was a SWIPE AT BUSH.

Yep... More Politony. Cut off quotes, spin just a bit, leave out certain parts of facts, and deride all sources, unless they encourage your point..... Oh yeah, and then complete ignore the post and start posting pictures of cheese when nothing else can be thought of.

MACH1
10-13-2009, 07:17 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/cheese_obama_photo_poster_tshirt-p235170260432160369qqbf_400.jpg

:chuckle::chuckle:

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Cause the thread was actually about how Obama's Nobel Peace Prize was a SWIPE AT BUSH.

*putting on foil helmet*

so are you saying this thread was more about sour grapes than anything else?

why am i not suprised if that is infact what you are saying?

poor bushie.

lets all lament....

Preacher
10-13-2009, 07:35 PM
*putting on foil helmet*

so are you saying this thread was more about sour grapes than anything else?

why am i not suprised if that is infact what you are saying?

poor bushie.

lets all lament....

More Politony!!!

The ARTICLE was about Obama's prize and how, because it was so early in his time as president, it was a swipe at Bush.

Please try to keep up.

I think you need some more cheese, not foil.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
The ARTICLE was about Obama's prize and how, because it was so early in his time as president, it was a swipe at Bush.

Please try to keep up.

I think you need some more cheese, not foil.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheesehelmet.jpg

fine. i'll just chalk this up as another sour grape, whiner article, with the rest of them. :crying01:

"bu..bu..bu..bush" lol :sofunny:

Preacher
10-14-2009, 12:13 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheesehelmet.jpg

fine. i'll just chalk this up as another sour grape, whiner article, with the rest of them. :crying01:

"bu..bu..bu..bush" lol :sofunny:

Tony... Wow you are falling short tonight.

This is a Times article, which isn't a sour-grapes article. It is however, a "How the h#@@ did Obama get this?

I guess you just can't stand an article that actually looks at the reality of the situation.

SteelersinCA
10-14-2009, 02:44 AM

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/09/state-dept-on-nobel-better-to-be-thrown-acolades-than-shoes/
Not sure this counts as a large portion of democrats but I think it's safe to say that when a representative of the state department makes light of the shoe throwing, I think it's safe to say a large portion of dems were laughing.

Venom
10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Although President Obama had only been in office for 12 days before the nominations for this year's Nobel Peace prize closed the entire process actually takes a full year. According to the official Nobel Prize Web site invitation letters are sent out in September. Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee sends out thousands of letters inviting a qualified and select number of people to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The deadline to submit nominations is February 1. -- Two hundred five names were submitted for the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, 33 of which are organizations. A short list of nominees is prepared in February and March. The short list is subject to adviser review from March until August. At the beginning of October, the Nobel Committee chooses the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates through a majority vote. The decision is final and without appeal. The names of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates are then announced."

Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize . Over the last decade the only requirement to win the prize was that the nominee had to be critical of George W. Bush (see Al Gore, Mohamed El Baradei and Jimmy Carter).

President Obama has broken new ground here. Nominations for potential winners of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize ended on February 1. The president took office only 12 days earlier on January 20.

Let’s take a look at the president’s first 12 days in the White House according to his public schedule to see what he did to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize:

January 20: Sworn in as president. Went to a parade. Partied.

January 21: Asked bureaucrats to re-write guidelines for information requests. Held an “open house” party at the White House.

January 22: Signed Executive Orders: Executive Branch workers to take ethics pledge; re-affirmed Army Field Manual techniques for interrogations; expressed desire to close Gitmo (how’s that working out?)

January 23: Ordered the release of federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries. Lunch with Joe Biden; met with Tim Geithner.

January 24: Budget meeting with economic team.

January 25: Skipped church.

January 26: Gave speech about jobs and energy. Met with Hillary Clinton. Attended Geithner's swearing in ceremony.

January 27: Met with Republicans. Spoke at a clock tower in Ohio.

January 28: Economic meetings in the morning, met with Defense secretary in the afternoon.

January 29: Signed Ledbetter Bill overturning Supreme Court decision on lawsuits over wages. Party in the State Room. Met with Biden.

January 30: Met economic advisers. Gave speech on Middle Class Working Families Task Force. Met with senior enlisted military officials.

January 31: Took the day off.

February 1: Skipped church. Threw a Super Bowl party.

So there you have it. The short path to the Nobel Peace Prize: Party, go to meetings, skip church, release federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries, party some more.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Here's what Obama SHOULD have done:

"My fellow Americans, and fellow Citizens of the World. I stand here today humbled and deeply moved by this award. Words cannot express what it means to be nominated and ultimately awarded a prize as prestigious as the Nobel. But I must refuse this award.

A day may come when I am as deserving as Morgan Tsvangirai, Zimbabwe's heroic opposition leader. or Thich Quang Do, the Buddhist monk and critic of Vietnam's authoritarian regime. Perhaps at some point when more wrok for peace has been completed, I will be able to accept this award which Rebiya Kadeer, exiled from China for her labors on behalf of the oppressed Uighur minority has truly earned. When our work bears fruit in establishing a diplomatic solution for the troubles in Iran, on that day I might be considered as worthy of this high praise for as those who struggle on a daily basis for democracy in the Islamic Republic of Iran against a repressive and totalitarian regime.

But not this day.

I will respectfully decline this premature and unearned honor, yet continue forth in the SPIRIT of this reward and redouble my efforts to create a World in which we may all coexist peacefully. On that future day, should it ever arrive, I'd be honored to accept the Nobel Peace Prize. But not this day.

Instead let me dedicate this honor to those who DO deserve this high reward. Let this be THEIR day."

Or, you know, something like that...

fansince'76
10-14-2009, 10:43 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/09/state-dept-on-nobel-better-to-be-thrown-acolades-than-shoes/
Not sure this counts as a large portion of democrats but I think it's safe to say that when a representative of the state department makes light of the shoe throwing, I think it's safe to say a large portion of dems were laughing.

Oh, no - everyone knows Dubya was widely loved and respected and Obama was richly deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize. :coffee:

The Patriot
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Here's what Obama SHOULD have done:

"My fellow Americans, and fellow Citizens of the World. I stand here today humbled and deeply moved by this award. Words cannot express what it means to be nominated and ultimately awarded a prize as prestigious as the Nobel. But I must refuse this award.

A day may come when I am as deserving as Morgan Tsvangirai, Zimbabwe's heroic opposition leader. or Thich Quang Do, the Buddhist monk and critic of Vietnam's authoritarian regime. Perhaps at some point when more wrok for peace has been completed, I will be able to accept this award which Rebiya Kadeer, exiled from China for her labors on behalf of the oppressed Uighur minority has truly earned. When our work bears fruit in establishing a diplomatic solution for the troubles in Iran, on that day I might be considered as worthy of this high praise for as those who struggle on a daily basis for democracy in the Islamic Republic of Iran against a repressive and totalitarian regime.

But not this day.

I will respectfully decline this premature and unearned honor, yet continue forth in the SPIRIT of this reward and redouble my efforts to create a World in which we may all coexist peacefully. On that future day, should it ever arrive, I'd be honored to accept the Nobel Peace Prize. But not this day.

Instead let me dedicate this honor to those who DO deserve this high reward. Let this be THEIR day."

Or, you know, something like that...

Nice speech. I actually agree with this.

I read up that in 1973 a guy named Lê Ðức Thọ was awarded the prize for negotiating the 'Paris Peace Accords' but he declined because he said that the accords had failed to create peace.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM
IF Obama followed his campaign promise and ended the War in Iraq (which I would not agree with) he then could ostensibly have some kind of legitimate claim to the Nobel.

As things stand now, he has none...

tony hipchest
10-14-2009, 08:41 PM

maybe it is safe to say that. but is it TRUE to say that? its just an opinion. :hunch:

i think its safe to say that the majority of americans feel exactly the way that i do, that when a sitting president (regardless of political affiliation) is attacked or assaulted, the guilty party should be immediately shot.

does that mean my opinion is more truthful than yours? not necessarily, but it is safe to say...

NJarhead
10-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Folks, I hate these $%^&ing politcal discussions (especially when I come here for football), but I'd just like everyone to take a moment to recognize this little gem that seemingly went unnoticed:

... (the Nobel Peace Prize) *used to be* one of the highest honors in the world. Now it's just a political 'scooby-snack'. :coffee:

While I've agreed with virtually nothing Slash has ever said, I am compelled to give kudos to "Political Scooby Snack." Maybe I'm just a little too tired, but that shit right there had me in stitches. :rofl:

So, kudos! :drink:

Carry on.

cubanstogie
10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Folks, I hate these $%^&ing politcal discussions (especially when I come here for football), but I'd just like everyone to take a moment to recognize this little gem that seemingly went unnoticed:

While I've agreed with virtually nothing Slash has ever said, I am compelled to give kudos to "Political Scooby Snack." Maybe I'm just a little too tired, but that shit right there had me in stitches. :rofl:

So, kudos! :drink:

Carry on.

what do you hate more, polical discussions or fire Bruce Arians discussions. That is a close battle.

NJarhead
10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
what do you hate more, polical discussions or fire Bruce Arians discussions. That is a close battle.

Oooooooh, that's a tough one! .......... :noidea: I can't decide.

7SteelGal43
10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
PnLqoRtUAVg&feature=sub