PDA

View Full Version : Sweed gets another shot this weekend

BlastFurnace
10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
www.timesonline.com/sports/spo...d-on-sweed.html

It didn’t take long for coach Mike Tomlin to give Limas Sweed a second chance.

Sweed, a wide receiver who didn’t suit up in last week’s win over San Diego, will be in uniform this Sunday when the Steelers play in Detroit.

“I’m ready to get back in the mix and have some fun,” Sweed said after Thursday’s practice.

Sweed, a second-round pick last year, lost his spot as the No. 4 wideout after dropping what would have been a 34-yard touchdown pass in a Sept. 27 loss in Cincinnati.

Infuriated by Sweed’s tendency to drop passes, Tomlin made him practice with the scout team last week.

Shaun McDonald dressed as the fourth receiver in the win over the Chargers. McDonald, who played the past two years with the Lions, will not play Sunday.

BlastFurnace
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Go get'm Limas!

I hope he catches a long touchdown pass!

steelpride12
10-09-2009, 11:25 AM
This has to be his final chance to impress. If the ball comes his way and is catch able he better have glue fingers or his season is over.

Hotrodder07
10-09-2009, 11:41 AM
This may be Sweed's last chance. He better prove that he's worth keeping around.

Slick93
10-09-2009, 11:45 AM
C'mon Sweed, it's put up or shut up time man!

Steelerstrength
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
This has to be his final chance to impress. If the ball comes his way and is catch able he better have glue fingers or his season is over.

:iagree: By my calculations this is his third chance to be a professional football wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I hope he steps up!

fat4jc
10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
www.timesonline.com/sports/spo...d-on-sweed.html

“I’m ready to get back in the mix and have some fun,” Sweed said after Thursday’s practice.

Note to Limas Sweed: Dropping easy touchdown passes isn't fun.

Edman
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm really dreading this.

Mendy redeemed himself Sunday after fudging up. Can we see a repeat with our WR?

WH
10-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Let's go Limas
clap clap clapclapclap
Let's go Limas
clap clap clapclapclap

steelreserve
10-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Honestly, Limas, I don't care whether you have fun. Be nervous as hell and hate every second of it, for all I care, if that's what it takes to catch the damn ball.

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Ward's first 3 years:

0 Starts 15 catches for 246 yards
14 Starts 61 catches for 638 yards
15 Starts 48 catches for 672 yards

Holmes first 3 years:
4 Starts 49 catches 824 yards
13 Starts 52 catches 942 yards
15 Starts 55 catches 821 yards

Sweed
0 Starts 6 catches 64 yards
0 Starts 1 catch 5 yards.

So in his second season we expect what from him exactly? About 55 catches and 800 yards?

Just trying to figure out what the bar is set at before we start screaming bust?

Its only his second year...lets see him get an entire season of balls thrown to him, he still hasn't dropped more passes than Nate did. That's for sure. Sweed just drops big play balls because he's open when the ball comes his way and that is why we drafted him, his ability to get open.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
This is his last shot. He's a second round pick who can be cut at the end of the season if he doesn't show something.

He's got talent. And the guy can throw a nice block. But as a wideout he has to CATCH THE FOOTBALL ON A CONSISTENT BASIS.

He dropped a perfectly thrown TD pass from Big Ben against Cinci. He catches that, we win. If he can't catch that pass, how can he be expected to catch the tougher throws?

Mendenhall was lucky enough to not have anyone on front of him when he got out of the doghouse due to Parker's injury. Sweed won't be that lucky, with Ward, Holmes, and Wallace in front of him.

tat2
10-09-2009, 12:28 PM
what's the use in getting open if you can't catch the freakin' ball?

:applaudit:

that smiley looks like sweed trying to catch a ball; might as well be banging two skillets together.

AllD
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Hate to second guess the coach, but I would put in McDonald over Sweed in this game because he just came from the Lions. It probably will not matter who plays anyway.

ricksteelers55
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of Limas but I just think we should give the guy some times.Washington used to drop a lot of passes,Santonio even with a MVP title keeps dropping some easy passes sometimes.The only difference is Limas dropped 2 easy TD's but it doesnt mean the other drops from the other WR's are excusable.

Yes Santo is a SB MVP but in this league it's not what you done but what you do that matters,so I think both fans and the coaching staff should be fair in their evaluation.Last year before his incredible playoffs performances Santonio was in the ''doghouse'' of many people in Steeler Nation.He had his chances to redeem himself and did so.Now I agree that Limas has to step up but we have to stop putting all the pressure on his shoulders.

the guy has all the tools to be something special and I'm sure in a couple of year we will look at him and say,man I'm glad we gave him his chances.

Go Steelers

Spidey
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
He'll catch a TD, then get a nice fat penalty for excessive celebration!

solardave
10-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Ward's first 3 years:

Holmes first 3 years:

Sweed

So in his second season we expect what from him exactly? About 55 catches and 800 yards?

Just trying to figure out what the bar is set at before we start screaming bust?

Its only his second year...lets see him get an entire season of balls thrown to him, he still hasn't dropped more passes than Nate did. That's for sure. Sweed just drops big play balls because he's open when the ball comes his way and that is why we drafted him, his ability to get open.

I think right now the bar is set at CATCHING THE DAMN BALL!!!!:banging:

WH
10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Ward's first 3 years:

Holmes first 3 years:

Sweed

Can you back this list up with how many targets each receiver got? and does this include postseaston?

Rek
10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
He's going to dress but unless the Steelers offense is rippin' shit up, I don't expect a lot of throws going his way.

PalmerSteel
10-09-2009, 01:38 PM
stats dont mean crap. this is about basics. 101. catch the ball. and someone mentioned washington. big difference. we payed a high draft pick for sweed and for wallace to have already surpassed him in his rookie year? your leash has gotten really really short sweeeeeed!

SteelMember
10-09-2009, 01:41 PM
He'll catch a TD, then get a nice fat penalty for excessive celebration!

That maybe ok if the entire team clears the sidelines and rushes to the endzone...

http://www.onlineathens.com/wallpapers/April_2008/football/ugafootball50.jpg

Now THAT is excessive.

SWEEEEEED? :hunch:

SteelC7
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
dont go out and have fun, go out and catch passes!!! ive always been a fan of this guy, i thought he was gonna be a great addition to the team, and i hope he does end up being that, but so far it hasnt looked good

SteelC7
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
hopefully he takes his new shot at football seriously or else hell be done in the nfl

Fire Haley
10-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I predict 8 catches for 187yds and 2 TD's

Preacher
10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Sigh..

He has had about 20 balls thrown his way.

NO ONE would remember his drops, if they weren't highlighted by WHEN AND WHERE he dropped them.

It cracks me up that people think the catch against the bears was an "easy catch".

I guess people just don't understand physics... or the fact that he had actually SECURED THE BALL BEFORE HITTING THE GROUND. Again, its a physics thing.

He'll learn to tuck in his elbows.

Galax Steeler
10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I predict 8 catches for 187yds and 2 TD's

Are we talking about the same Sweed.:chuckle:

Fire Haley
10-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I bet he same ones calling for cutting Sweed are the same ones calling Mendy a bust before last week.

MasterOfPuppets
10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
and the same ones that were/are clinging to redmans nut sack

CPanther95
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
NO ONE would remember his drops, if they weren't highlighted by WHEN AND WHERE he dropped them.

It cracks me up that people think the catch against the bears was an "easy catch".

I guess people just don't understand physics... or the fact that he had actually SECURED THE BALL BEFORE HITTING THE GROUND. Again, its a physics thing.

Put down the pocket protector and get a clue.

kirklandrules
10-09-2009, 03:13 PM
I loved this guy when we drafted him. Huge potential. It's a shame that he's gotten to such a psychological state that he can't make the plays he's made since he was a kid. He's so wound up that he's doing things that he normally wouldn't ... and that's causing him to drop the ball (for instance, he should have ran through the ball against Cincy ... not fallen down and let the ground jar the ball loose). He just has to pop that TD cherry and he'll be a stud ... come on, every guy knows what i'm talking about here ... until you "scored" for the first time every one of us felt the pressure when we were staring down the barrel. So pop that cherry son and become a MAN! He's doing everything else right, so he just needs to get that first score to settle in. And I think it's a great move to try to get this against a team we should beat ... don't put the pressure of having him try to make his first score against the Ravens in the playoffs.

Preacher
10-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Put down the pocket protector and get a clue.

A clue? A clue that 2 drops in about 14 passes doesn't make him a bust?
A clue? A clue that PHYSICS teaches that if an object is going one way, and hits a stationary object, there will be a result? Namely, his elbow hit the ground first and jarred the ball loose?
A clue? A clue that if it was Hines or Heath or Santo who dropped that ball, everyone here would be saying it wasn't a drop, the ground jarred it loose.
A clue? A clue that this is the exact same stupid stuff that was being said about Mendy, Timmons, Troy P. Ben, Santo, etc. by this fan base?
A clue? A clue that this is the most spoiled fan base in pro sports?
A clue? A clue that everyone one of you DEMAND perfection from rookies... but not perfecting from favorite vets?
A clue? A clue that you obviously have no idea what I am talking about, and just jumped on teh "I Hate Sweed" bandwagon before even LOOKING a second time at his drop to figure out WHY he dropped it...hence, you are spewing here and not ENGAGING in discussion.
A clue? A clue that with the amount of games played, he isn't even through a full rookie season yet?

Seems like I have a few clues. Maybe I can find someone to help you?

Here you go.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/novelties/blues/bluespic.jpg

SteelGhost
10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
A clue? A clue that PHYSICS teaches that if an object is going one way, and hits a stationary object, there will be a result? Namely, his elbow hit the ground first and jarred the ball loose?
A clue? A clue that if it was Hines or Heath or Santo who dropped that ball, everyone here would be saying it wasn't a drop, the ground jarred it loose.
A clue? A clue that this is the exact same stupid stuff that was being said about Mendy, Timmons, Troy P. Ben, Santo, etc. by this fan base?
A clue? A clue that this is the most spoiled fan base in pro sports?
A clue? A clue that everyone one of you DEMAND perfection from rookies... but not perfecting from favorite vets?
A clue? A clue that you obviously have no idea what I am talking about, and just jumped on teh "I Hate Sweed" bandwagon before even LOOKING a second time at his drop to figure out WHY he dropped it...hence, you are spewing here and not ENGAGING in discussion.
A clue? A clue that with the amount of games played, he isn't even through a full rookie season yet?
Seems like I have a few clues. Maybe I can find someone to help you?

Here you go.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/novelties/blues/bluespic.jpg

Good point Preach, :hatsoff: this has been overlooked by many fans I would like to wait and see how Limas Sweed plays this season.

My .02

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Can you back this list up with how many targets each receiver got? and does this include postseaston?

I pulled my stats from this site:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I just think even if Sweed doesn't have a "break out" peformance this weekend, and say has 1 catch for 8 yards, that we shouldn't right the guy off just yet.

I have had my doubts about it just because he is from Texas, and I have a theory that players from the Longhorns are not motivated to work while at college so the transition into the NFL is very tough of them. I site players like Reggie Williams, Michael Huff, Vince Young as examples. Cedric Benson, Roy Williams, Chris Simms are other examples of guys that were good or great in college but haven't turned that next page yet on their NFL carreer.

I think Mack Brown at Texas lets these kids pretty much get away with being slackers and punks while on campus and when they get to the Pro's they are unable to perform up to expectations and put in the effort expected at this level.

That's just a theory I have, Casey Hampton being one exception to the rule of Coarse.

SteelMember
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Actually Preach, It was against the Bengals.

Reed was the goat in the Bears game. :doh:

I, myself would love for the Sweeeeed to succeed. Because if players are successful, the team is successful...Meaning the Steelers are successful...Which leads to more big shiney trophies and rings...Which in the end, is all that really matters.

:tt04:

and how is it we can get new TT smilie and get no sarcasm smilie? :huh:
That's what we should be really asking ourselves. :chuckle:

Preacher
10-09-2009, 04:29 PM

I, myself would love for the Sweeeeed to succeed. Because if players are sucessful, the team is successful...Meaning the Steelers are successful...Which leads to more big shiney trophies...Which in the end, is really all that really matters.

:chuckle:

You're right. oops!

Texasteel
10-09-2009, 05:33 PM

I, myself would love for the Sweeeeed to succeed. Because if players are successful, the team is successful...Meaning the Steelers are successful...Which leads to more big shiney trophies and rings...Which in the end, is all that really matters.

and how is it we can get new TT smilie and get no sarcasm smilie? :huh:
That's what we should be really asking ourselves. :chuckle:

I agree and so does the couching staff. If Sweed can straighten his problems out we will have one of the finest receiving corp. in the league, I've seen him play at his best. I never could understand a fan that will hope that someone on the team he claims to love will fail, just to prove a ****** point.

billybob
10-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Ward's first 3 years:

Holmes first 3 years:

Sweed

Sweed knows what he has to do . Sweed has got to know whats expected of him .
He has a chance to prove himself to his teamates , and more importantly , to his coach . Maybe even unto himself .
I'm throwin out the seven flags for "SWEED" !

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

43Hitman
10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of Limas but I just think we should give the guy some times.Washington used to drop a lot of passes,Santonio even with a MVP title keeps dropping some easy passes sometimes.The only difference is Limas dropped 2 easy TD's but it doesnt mean the other drops from the other WR's are excusable.

Yes Santo is a SB MVP but in this league it's not what you done but what you do that matters,so I think both fans and the coaching staff should be fair in their evaluation.Last year before his incredible playoffs performances Santonio was in the ''doghouse'' of many people in Steeler Nation.He had his chances to redeem himself and did so.Now I agree that Limas has to step up but we have to stop putting all the pressure on his shoulders.

the guy has all the tools to be something special and I'm sure in a couple of year we will look at him and say,man I'm glad we gave him his chances.

Go Steelers

+1 Great post! :applaudit:

billybob
10-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Plain and simple , if Sweed plans on making a living out of being a wide reciever in the NFL , then he needs to start doing his job at 1:00 p.m. , this Sunday . That is the whole story in a nutshell . I'm throwin out the seven once again for SWEED !

stairway27
10-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Let's trade him to the Jets,... They took Braylon Edwards....

stb_steeler
10-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Cant imagine what the board will be like if he drops another TD pass....Did i just say that out loud ????? Shhhhhhhh.:violin:

sharkweek
10-09-2009, 07:56 PM
he's made some ridiculous tough catches in the very few games he's had a chance to actually play in, problem is that none of those were when it mattered as much as his two big drops

Just like Mendy, I see amazing potential in Sweed, and would love to see him (them) perform to that potential.

wootawnee
10-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Limas just go out and play dude.......All these Bozo's will still be feeding the negative energy your way..........If you drop passes screw it, you might get traded to New England and can catch balls with Brady.........Or to San Fransisco, then you can be opposite of Mike Crabtree.....and also live by the beach.......

The coaching staff is really screwing this dude up.............He needs playing time.....Its the Bradshaw syndrom........Boo ya for 5 years, then win 4 titles, and then you are a hall of famer..........

Limas you are in a win win situation..........The Steelers are at a lossif you drop the balls and get traded......

Go figure........

wootawnee
10-09-2009, 08:13 PM
and the same ones that were/are clinging to redmans nut sack

LOL:rofl:

stairway27
10-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Yea,... It would be great if he works out to be great... with the Steelers... I hope like hell that he does... But you are not going to get 2 better chances than what he had when he dropped sure TD's in the Championship game last year, and in the BUNGLES game this year. If that didn't wake him up, I don't know what will. I'm all for second and third chances. But seriously, I don't care if he had 1 snap his entire 2 years, that pass he dropped 2 weeks ago... That was inexcusable. I would have caught that... Seriously. And I'm not some fat ass just making a statement. I am a good athlete, but by no means NFL or College caliber.

JackHammer
10-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Well if he responds to being deactivated, anything like he responded to that drop/fake injury in the AFCCG, someone's gonna get their bell rung :tt03: I hope he has a good game. Come on Limas!!!! Reach that potential!!!!!!

billybob
10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Limas just go out and play dude.......All these Bozo's will still be feeding the negative energy your way..........If you drop passes screw it, you might get traded to New England and can catch balls with Brady.........Or to San Fransisco, then you can be opposite of Mike Crabtree.....and also live by the beach.......

The coaching staff is really screwing this dude up.............He needs playing time.....Its the Bradshaw syndrom........Boo ya for 5 years, then win 4 titles, and then you are a hall of famer..........

Limas you are in a win win situation..........The Steelers are at a lossif you drop the balls and get traded......

Go figure........

Not you , me , or the coaches , nor the fans can make Sweed right . Only Sweed can do that . Tomlin is a different style coach than Knoll was . He has patience till a certain point , and then it's put up , or walk . If he wants to walk to San Franciso ,he could do that also . I respect only what he is capable of doing , not what he has done thus far , and quite frankly , he has not done squat .
I still am gonna throw out the 7 flags for him , because i am a believer !

Vincent
10-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Limas Lee Sweed. Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmm.

LukesDad88
10-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Sigh..

He has had about 20 balls thrown his way.

And of those 20 balls, he's caught 1. One single catch for 5 yards. All 20 of those balls were thrown by the guy with the best completion percentage in the league, so they were hardly innacurate, and he's caught 1.

billybob
10-09-2009, 10:06 PM
And of those 20 balls, he's caught 1. One single catch for 5 yards. All 20 of those balls were thrown by the guy with the best completion percentage in the league, so they were hardly innacurate, and he's caught 1.

Game planning son , game planning , you 'll learn it some day . I am no preacher by any means , but i have been a believer of ......why tip your hand ?
Tomlin is a master at limiting game footage . We don't know what we are gonna get , The next team does not know what they are gonna get , but Tomlin knows what he better get . I think that there is a misconception as to who this team really belongs to . The front office ? Ben ? Tomlin? I think clearly , this is Mikes team .
Also , Mike is a master when it comes to the press . NEVER, EVER , TIP YOUR HAND ! nother 7 for SWEED !

Psyychoward86
10-09-2009, 10:27 PM
he doesnt need to have a monster game against a porous Lions pass defense to impress me, but i gotta see something spectacular. Mendy had his chance last week and made the most of it. I hope Sweed does the same :tt:

fansince'76
10-09-2009, 10:43 PM

I think he was talking about last year and this year combined (and even then it is an overstatement, IMO). Sweed has only been active in 2 out of the 4 games played this season up to now and has started neither. I seriously doubt he was targeted by Ben 20 times in action that limited.

scsteeler
10-09-2009, 10:45 PM
While Sweed is not a bust yet by any means he has to get rid of the Stigma that he can't hold onto the ball. The Ravens game last year when he was not even touched and the Bengals game where he has the ball and the ground causes him to lose the ball does not bode well when you are paid big dollars to make those catches.

I think Consistency from Sweed will win over Tomlin. The QB has to know that when the game is on the line and you are open or in single coverage you are going to make that catch. Right now I don't think Ben or the Coaching Staff feel comfortable trusting him to make the catches that could lead to the win.

Preacher
10-10-2009, 03:44 AM
And of those 20 balls, he's caught 1. One single catch for 5 yards. All 20 of those balls were thrown by the guy with the best completion percentage in the league, so they were hardly inaccurate, and he's caught 1.

actually, this year he has only been targeted 2 times. The second time he caught the ball... and then had it jarred loose when he hit the ground. BIG difference then not CATCHING it like last year.

TOTAL... He has been targeted 12 times... and has 7 catches. We know of his two drops.

That means he catches the ball approx. 60 percent of the time.

This year,
Santonio Holmes has ONLY a 55 percent catch to target ratio.

Wallace has a 70 percent ratio

Ward has a 80 percent ratio

Now, passes get defended against. Santo's numbers are skewed based on being defended a lot more this year. However, if only 2 of Sweed's passes are defended against instead of dropped, his numbers go up to 75 percent, or second only to Ward.

What's my point in all of this? Its to point out that Sweed isn't the bust people are making him out to be. Just the opposite, he will probably be an EXCELLENT receiver for us.

So why did he get benched? Same reason Mendy, Holmes, etc. get benched. Younger players make stupid mistakes, and Tomlin teaches them quickly not to make those mistakes.

But all this idiotic "Sweed can't catch the ball" stuff is hilarious. The reality just doesn't add up to the same fact.

solardave
10-10-2009, 06:43 AM
actually, this year he has only been targeted 2 times. The second time he caught the ball... and then had it jarred loose when he hit the ground. BIG difference then not CATCHING it like last year.

TOTAL... He has been targeted 12 times... and has 7 catches. We know of his two drops.

That means he catches the ball approx. 60 percent of the time.

This year,
Santonio Holmes has ONLY a 55 percent catch to target ratio.

Wallace has a 70 percent ratio

Ward has a 80 percent ratio

Now, passes get defended against. Santo's numbers are skewed based on being defended a lot more this year. However, if only 2 of Sweed's passes are defended against instead of dropped, his numbers go up to 75 percent, or second only to Ward.

What's my point in all of this? Its to point out that Sweed isn't the bust people are making him out to be. Just the opposite, he will probably be an EXCELLENT receiver for us.

So why did he get benched? Same reason Mendy, Holmes, etc. get benched. Younger players make stupid mistakes, and Tomlin teaches them quickly not to make those mistakes.

But all this idiotic "Sweed can't catch the ball" stuff is hilarious. The reality just doesn't add up to the same fact.

Just the fact that he doesn't get as many balls thrown at him leads me to think there is a lack of confidence in him! I haven't seen a single practice or been to training camp to see them. I'm just asking why they are not throwing more to him when he's in the game. I really would like to see him be great. We need him to step up and take over for Hines when the time comes.I remember when Hines was young if he dropped a ball they'd turn around and throw right back at him.It's a confidence thing.

CPanther95
10-10-2009, 07:45 AM

He's no "bust" yet. But blaming big play drops on physics instead of just a lack of focus (or basic technique) is silly - and/or ignorant.

Those passes were ones that you'd expect many high schoolers to make, and the vast majority of Div 1 players to make - including Sweed @ UT. It was just a lack of focus on the basics, and possibly laziness in dropping to the ground that compounded the problem.

You think we should enroll all players in some elementary PHYSICS classes? What about GRAVITY and BIOMECHANICS - perhaps we should open up Steelers U. to offer refresher courses.

... or maybe we can be allowed to expect receivers to know the basics of receiving by the time they reach the professional level - and not make ridiculous assertions that suggest that you need to be a physicist to realize that if you hit the ground right, the ball may pop out.

Texasteel
10-10-2009, 08:08 AM
He's no "bust" yet. But blaming big play drops on physics instead of just a lack of focus (or basic technique) is silly - and/or ignorant.

Those passes were ones that you'd expect many high schoolers to make, and the vast majority of Div 1 players to make - including Sweed @ UT. It was just a lack of focus on the basics, and possibly laziness in dropping to the ground that compounded the problem.

You think we should enroll all players in some elementary PHYSICS classes? What about GRAVITY and BIOMECHANICS - perhaps we should open up Steelers U. to offer refresher courses.

... or maybe we can be allowed to expect receivers to know the basics of receiving by the time they reach the professional level - and not make ridiculous assertions that suggest that you need to be a physicist to realize that if you hit the ground right, the ball may pop out.

And I've also seen HOFers drop. I think we can give him a few more game to prove himself, especially with Wallace playing the way he is. I'll give up on him when the coach does.

Steelerfreak58
10-10-2009, 10:31 AM
The kid deserves more chances Steeler fans are brutal on young players.

steel striker
10-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Sweed needs to play more before we call him a bust. I remember Plax having early problems as well. Hope fully Sweed will take full advantage in this game. To me Wallace looks pretty good so far.

markymarc
10-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I still believe in Sweed and think he can be a good WR for the Steelers. Come on Limas!!!!!!!!

AllD
10-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Sweed is ok up to 10 yards and then anything over that is a gamble. We already have a tight end and a slot receiver. He is good for stretching the field if he can hold onto the ball. If not, then he is average at best.

Preacher
10-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Wow... read IN CONTEXT much?

Your reaching so far here that it really isn't worth another comment other than that.

I'll give you a freebie, let's try responding to my post again... this time, WITHIN CONTEXT OF WHAT I WAS SAYING.

Preacher
10-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Just the fact that he doesn't get as many balls thrown at him leads me to think there is a lack of confidence in him! I haven't seen a single practice or been to training camp to see them. I'm just asking why they are not throwing more to him when he's in the game. I really would like to see him be great. We need him to step up and take over for Hines when the time comes.I remember when Hines was young if he dropped a ball they'd turn around and throw right back at him.It's a confidence thing.

Don't forget,

Last year, he was playing behind 3 other receivers and Heath, so essentially, he was the number 5 WR. Plus you have Spaeth that is used at times as a TE/WR. So he was tied for 5th.

This year, he was splitting the first game. Was injured for the second game. dropped that pass in the third and was benched in the fourth game.

So in truth, he hasn't had much opportunity for the ball to even BE thrown to him.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE what Tomlin did. Great way of getting into the kids head and demanding better performance. But unlike a number of people here, there should be recognition that each player has a learning curve they have to adjust too. Each person's curve is different.

After all, it took Washington 4 years to learn how to hang on to the ball.

It took Rice about 2 years to learn how to hang on to the ball.

My whole argument... is that people need to assess instead of rant.

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Don't forget,

After all, it took Washington 4 years to learn how to hang on to the ball.
.obviously you haven't watched many titan games this year....nate still has the dropsies....:chuckle:

Preacher
10-10-2009, 05:44 PM
obviously you haven't watched many titan games this year....nate still has the dropsies....:chuckle:

:rofl: oops.

STEELERZNC
10-10-2009, 06:28 PM
SWEED IS A BUST THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO SAY ABOUT HIM.:mad:

sherlock
10-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Go Limas!!
He made some pretty impressive catches in the pre-season .Yeah I know it was `only` pre-season but perhaps he just needs more time than is usual to become the finished article.:noidea:

sharkweek
10-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Worst case scenario is Sweed is a bust, but at the same time we have to consider that Wallace has above and beyond exceeded expectations thus far, we've still come out ahead in the long run and are better off than we were last season in the WR department.