PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft Needs Changed?

The Definiti0n
10-11-2009, 12:31 AM
With the improved run blocking the last two weeks and pass protection seemly being 100 % better. Has the draft needs of The Steelers changed?

I know its extremely early but just about every major draft site has The Steelers drafting an offensive lineman (seems like its been that way for the past 3 years).

Hartwig and Kemo are signed and Urbik and Shipley are in the wings. Colon is seemly due a huge pay day. SO if it isn't Oline then what?

Im guessing Dline especially if Hampton cannot be retained.

devilsdancefloor
10-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Safety , ILB & NT Maybe even DE

The Definiti0n
10-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech?

Godfather
10-11-2009, 10:38 PM
DE--our starters are over 30 and we need to groom their successors

S--Same as DE

Other than that, just get good athletes and plug them in as needed.

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2009, 11:31 PM
With the improved run blocking the last two weeks and pass protection seemly being 100 % better. Has the draft needs of The Steelers changed?

I know its extremely early but just about every major draft site has The Steelers drafting an offensive lineman (seems like its been that way for the past 3 years).

Hartwig and Kemo are signed and Urbik and Shipley are in the wings. Colon is seemly due a huge pay day. SO if it isn't Oline then what?

Im guessing Dline especially if Hampton cannot be retained. i wouldn't get too excited over finding a little success against crappy D fronts. as soon as they go up against the vikings, the reality and 2 yds a carry avg will set back in.
NOT drafting linemen for the future is the reason for the pile of suck in front of the qb to begin with. are you suggesting they continue the trend ?:noidea:

sharkweek
10-12-2009, 01:19 AM
we should draft a long snapper with our first pick, or a QB

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Im guessing Dline especially if Hampton cannot be retained.

I think we look at D-line also, but still think a blue-chip O-linemen is a must. I would love to see us trade up for Cody.

MasterOfPuppets
10-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
I got a lot of heat for saying Cody was a second-round prospect, but maybe I was being nice. At best he looks like a second-rounder. Sure, he is huge, but he has literally no range and doesn't make much of an impact if teams don't run right at him. He is very slow and not the same athlete that a Vince Wilfork or B.J. Raji is. Cody lacks stamina and I highly doubt he goes in the first round.

woohoo...one of my TERPS !!!

Bruce Campbell, T, Maryland
Campbell made a huge impression on me on game tape against clemson. He has quick feet, was strong at the point of attack, played with a strong base, and mirrored his feet well against the pass rush. I loved his awareness. He picked up a nickle and weakside LB blitz with ease.

He has impressive athletic ability and handled Clemson DE Ricky Sapp's speed off the edge without any problem. He has very imposing size and looks to have NFL left tackle tools. Once, he did a poor job bending at the waist too much against the run. However, I was extremely impressed with his tape in this game and I think he is a potential top-10 pick.

Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
After this game I convinced myself how difficult it is to evaluate an inside linebacker in the 3-4 at the college level. These players don't have a lot of space to make plays and they have to fight through a ton of trash. McClain wasn't lazy, but he didn't make a ton of plays. At times he flashes brillance with great closing speed. Other times, he takes poor angles against the run. By default, he looks like the No. 1 inside linebacker in the nation, which isn't saying much.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 08:37 PM
i wouldn't get too excited over finding a little success against crappy D fronts. as soon as they go up against the vikings, the reality and 2 yds a carry avg will set back in.
NOT drafting linemen for the future is the reason for the pile of suck in front of the qb to begin with. are you suggesting they continue the trend ?:noidea:

I tend to agree with you, but if you consider that Starks, Kemo, Hartwig just signed new deals this offseason and Colon is considered by some as the best O lineman on the team............it appears the FO is satasfied with the current O line.

I think we see Urbik, Foster as being heir to the RG job and maybe Essex or Hills becomes the RT if Colon isnt extended. I still wanna see an OT drafted, but doubt its gonna be in the 1st round unless somebody falls to us.

hindes204
10-12-2009, 08:53 PM
QB and a RB, because Ben holds the ball waaaay too long, and Mendy is definately a bust :chuckle:

Texasteel
10-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I tend to agree with you, but if you consider that Starks, Kemo, Hartwig just signed new deals this offseason and Colon is considered by some as the best O lineman on the team............it appears the FO is satasfied with the current O line.

I think we see Urbik, Foster as being heir to the RG job and maybe Essex or Hills becomes the RT if Colon isnt extended. I still wanna see an OT drafted, but doubt its gonna be in the 1st round unless somebody falls to us.

Right now the only 1st round OT that may fall to us would probably be Davis if he comes out. I've been reading that Charles Brown is moving up on some boards. I've also seen Mocks starting to mention Young to us, but I can't see us taking someone that is probably a RT in the 1st round. I've been watching Fox, thanks LLT, and think he may be a LT at the next level. Would like your opinion on that when you see him.

Been talking to Aussie and I think he is hoping for ILB Brandon Spikes, but I think we would have to trade up to get him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Right now the only 1st round OT that may fall to us would probably be Davis if he comes out. I've been reading that Charles Brown is moving up on some boards. I've also seen Mocks starting to mention Young to us, but I can't see us taking someone that is probably a RT in the 1st round. I've been watching Fox, thanks LLT, and think he may be a LT at the next level. Would like your opinion on that when you see him.

Been talking to Aussie and I think he is hoping for ILB Brandon Spikes, but I think we would have to trade up to get him.

Yeah, it all is gonna hinge on if they try and extend Colon. IMO, Parker, Hampton, Spaeth are let go and Clark, Gay and Colon will be attempted to extend. It could mean a NT is looked for in the 1st and an ILB in the 2nd to eventually replace Farrior.

I had technical problem and never got the Miami game recorded to watch Fox last week. I'll get around to it and let you know, but he is sounding like a Vernon Carey type guy that might be able to play LT, but can for sure play RT.

Aussie_steeler
10-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Yeah, it all is gonna hinge on if they try and extend Colon. IMO, Parker, Hampton, Spaeth are let go and Clark, Gay and Colon will be attempted to extend. It could mean a NT is looked for in the 1st and an ILB in the 2nd to eventually replace Farrior.

I think this is the absolute key to the 2010 draft strategy. I heard somewhere ( cant verify it with a link) on commentary that the Steelers think Colon is in the top 5 RT's in the league. If that is remotely true I think they will go after extending him in a big way.

I am not sure what the FO does with Casey. Can they get a year out of Hoke as starter in order for a draftee to learn the ropes?? I caught the Bama / Ole MIss game and Cody again looked very solid. Jerrelle Powe for Miss looked nearly as big and stout. I am starting to like what I see from this NT prospect. ( have a look at him if you get a chance)

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I think this is the absolute key to the 2010 draft strategy. I heard somewhere ( cant verify it with a link) on commentary that the Steelers think Colon is in the top 5 RT's in the league. If that is remotely true I think they will go after extending him in a big way.

I am not sure what the FO does with Casey. Can they get a year out of Hoke as starter in order for a draftee to learn the ropes?? I caught the Bama / Ole MIss game and Cody again looked very solid. Jerrelle Powe for Miss looked nearly as big and stout. I am starting to like what I see from this NT prospect. ( have a look at him if you get a chance)

Even if next year is uncapped as expected, I dont know if the Steelers are gonna overpay Colon. They probably want to sign him, but if he goes they can rely on Essex or Hills to play RT.

The fact that next season will probably be uncapped means they may just tag Hampton for a season until a successor is ready. Could be a few more prospects around this year, but I still wish we had taken a look at Myron Pryor late in the draft.

SteelMember
10-14-2009, 03:37 PM
It looks like you guys are all over the OT canidates.

I know a few of us have mentioned Cody at NT for us, but what are your thoughts of a guy like D'Anthony Smith (http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_danthony00.html) from LA Tech. Sure he's only listed between 300-310, but I've seen a few people plot him at a 2-3 rounder.

I haven't seen much for LA Tech games, so I was just trying to build a case.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 03:49 PM
It looks like you guys are all over the OT canidates.

I know a few of us have mentioned Cody at NT for us, but what are your thoughts of a guy like D'Anthony Smith (http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_danthony00.html) from LA Tech. Sure he's only listed between 300-310, but I've seen a few people plot him at a 2-3 rounder.

I haven't seen much for LA Tech games, so I was just trying to build a case.

The more I think of things, the more I want to see the Steelers get the best available NT prospect or ILB in the 1st round. They can look OT, FS, RB, later on.

SteelMember
10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
The more I think of things, the more I want to see the Steelers get the best available NT prospect or ILB in the 1st round. They can look OT, FS, RB, later on.

So, after Spikes, who would you like? I just don't know if there is any 1st round material other than him. Guys like Sean Lee, Sergio Kindle or Sean Witherspoon could probably be had in the 2nd. But I agree on NT. I think we all know there's only a few of those in the entire draft, and the best ones won't last long.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
So, after Spikes, who would you like? I just don't know if there is any 1st round material other than him. Guys like Sean Lee, Sergio Kindle or Sean Witherspoon could probably be had in the 2nd. But I agree on NT. I think we all know there's only a few of those in the entire draft, and the best ones won't last long.

I'm hoping Rolando McLain comes out and could end up there when we pick.

SteelMember
10-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm hoping Rolando McLain comes out and could end up there when we pick.

He's a really good player. I think it's still up in the air as to a possible announcement, but if they (Alabama) can make the claim on the championship, I don't think it will take much more for him to sign on the dotted line.

Texasteel
10-14-2009, 06:36 PM

I agree with you unless the right OT falls to us, that ain't gona happen. I'm just having trouble figuring one that might be available that is worth the 1st round pick, unless McClain does come out. I'm not sure he would make it that far either. Of course that could change in a month, and we could trade up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree with you unless the right OT falls to us, that ain't gona happen. I'm just having trouble figuring one that might be available that is worth the 1st round pick, unless McClain does come out. I'm not sure he would make it that far either. Of course that could change in a month, and we could trade up.

I'm not betting the farm on trading up. I just watched some more of the Ravens game from last week and Michael Oher is playing LT for the injured Gathier........he looks good!!! Sets well, great feet, never seems to quit blocking and finishes well.

If they lock up Colon, I just cant see us drafting an OT with Starks, Colon signed long term and Hills, Essex still under contract........but you never know huh.

Aussie_steeler
10-14-2009, 08:11 PM
If they lock up Colon, I just cant see us drafting an OT with Starks, Colon signed long term and Hills, Essex still under contract........but you never know huh.

If this scenario pans out Murphys law probably has the steelers taking an OT very early. For the last few years we have all begged for an OT when desperately needed.

NT is critical in our scheme. If Casey walks we are going to need a huge runstuffing ILB helping out behind the new NT. Both NT and ILB are a must this draft. An upgrade over Tyrone Carter is also a must.

I could live with 6 of 9 of the 2010 picks being on D.

tony hipchest
10-14-2009, 08:30 PM
just some tidbits from wexell (not that it means anything, just a few players they have looked at so far)-

Steelers will have a scout at the Northwestern game today. Have to be looking at 6-6, 280 DE Corey Wootton. (sept 12)

For those who follow the draft, Steelers were just at Baylor scouting MLB Joe Pawelek, Scout.com's No. 47 overall prospect. (aug 24)

Aussie_steeler
10-14-2009, 08:41 PM
just some tidbits from wexell (not that it means anything, just a few players they have looked at so far)-

Steelers will have a scout at the Northwestern game today. Have to be looking at 6-6, 280 DE Corey Wootton. (sept 12)

For those who follow the draft, Steelers were just at Baylor scouting MLB Joe Pawelek, Scout.com's No. 47 overall prospect. (aug 24)

Pawelek is an interesting guy Tony. Nearly every site has him as a 5th - 6th round prospect except for Scout.com. They have him as a 2nd round prospect. He certainly has some upside for a 3-4 team looking for a ILB.

Texasteel
10-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Pawelek is an interesting guy Tony. Nearly every site has him as a 5th - 6th round prospect except for Scout.com. They have him as a 2nd round prospect. He certainly has some upside for a 3-4 team looking for a ILB.

Would not mind Pawelek in the 5th but there are a few I would want ahead of him.

I ask this every year so I'll get it out of the way. Would you like to see us trade out of the 1st round given the chance. Seems like if you had our 2nd and another mid-early 2nd we could get a pretty good NT and ILB. Then consentrate on a Safety and a OT in the 3rd.

Aussie_steeler
10-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Would not mind Pawelek in the 5th but there are a few I would want ahead of him.

I ask this every year so I'll get it out of the way. Would you like to see us trade out of the 1st round given the chance. Seems like if you had our 2nd and another mid-early 2nd we could get a pretty good NT and ILB. Then consentrate on a Safety and a OT in the 3rd.

You know I will bite on this one TEX - of course I would.

Kansas City has an extra pick in the 2nd from Atlanta. They have shown a willingness to be aggressive to get into the first round in past drafts (2008). If we make the playoffs I believe our late 1st round pick would be good trade bait for KC's 2nd round pick ( around mid 50's) from Atlanta plus their 3rd round pick (late 60's).

This would give KC a top 5 pick, at late 20's and a very early second round pick to reload

I give us a 3rd round compensatory pick so by my calculations we could wind up with 5 picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds ( 5 picks between 50 and 100).

Who would I take
2a from KC( 50).......: Eric Norwood OLB
2b ..............................: Morgan Burnett FS
3a from KC ( 65)......: Maurkice Pouncey OC / OG
3b...............................: Jeff Owens NT
3comp.......................: Myron Rolle SS
4 ................................: Kyle Calloway OT
4comp.......................: Micah Johnson ILB
5..................................:Michael Hoomanawanui TE
6:.................................:Rusty Smith QB
7..................................:Kade Weston DE

I would love to have ILB and NT higher up. I just believe there is a huge drop off after Cody, Spikes and McClain in the first round.

Tex - I am on holidays and it has been raining for 3 days straight. I have found myself with plenty of times on hand at the keyboard. Hence the short answer to your question.

Texasteel
10-15-2009, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE=Aussie_steeler;680410]

Who would I take
2a from KC( 50).......: Eric Norwood OLB
2b ..............................: Morgan Burnett FS
3a from KC ( 65)......: Maurkice Pouncey OC / OG
3b...............................: Jeff Owens NT
3comp.......................: Myron Rolle SS
4 ................................: Kyle Calloway OT
4comp.......................: Micah Johnson ILB
5..................................:Michael Hoomanawanui TE
6:.................................:Rusty Smith QB
7..................................:Kade Weston DE

QUOTE]

I think I a like it.

Haven't heard anything about Pouncey coming out early, but if Florida wins the National Championship he and Wright might. If we miss on Burnett, Major Wright could be available at that pick. You know I like Owens, and Calloway. Rolle may be a bit of a gamble but one we could take with the extra 3rd rounders, and a gamble that could pay off real big. Still have to watch Johnson, but his bio reads good. I love the 5th pick and means we would have to sign one less FA.

Great job Aussie. Hope the weather clears and you can get out of the house. Hate to think of you spending you entire holiday with us.

Aussie_steeler
10-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks Tex. I liked what I saw out of Pouncey in the Florida game I caught. If he comes out I think he is going to be the Eric Wood of the 2010 draft.

All we need is for LLT's ultimate pimp, Legursky, to step up and be our center of the future and we can stop trying to pick one every year.

Texasteel
10-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks Tex. I liked what I saw out of Pouncey in the Florida game I caught. If he comes out I think he is going to be the Eric Wood of the 2010 draft.

All we need is for LLT's ultimate pimp, Legursky, to step up and be our center of the future and we can stop trying to pick one every year.

I thought the switched him to FB.:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I thought the switched him to FB.:wink02:

They might as well. With Hartwig signed to a new 4 year deal, they aint gonna use Legursky at C unless there is an injury.

I'd still start thinking about NT, ILB, S, OT. for the upcoming draft. With Starks, Kemo, Hartwig on new deals, I think O line is not gonna be a priority.....again.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks Tony...gotta say that I LOVE those bits of information. Greatly appreciated.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Thats the way I see it panning out also...I still have hopes for Cody in round 1...and would not be dissapointed to pick up ILB Micah Johnson from Kentucky in the 2nd.

It still seems that most draft "experts" havent picked up on OT Fox and have him going as late as the 5th round , but I am still projecteding him as a late 2nd round early 3rd round pick. If he fell to us in the 3rd I would be VERY happy.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Legursky continues to impress me. He gets better leverage than alot of O-linemen that are starting in the NFL and plays until the whistle. He is a real scrapper...and strong as a bull.

People will beat me up over this...but I like his skills better than Essex or Hartwig.

Aussie_steeler
10-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Legursky continues to impress me. He gets better leverage than alot of O-linemen that are starting in the NFL and plays until the whistle. He is a real scrapper...and strong as a bull.

People will beat me up over this...but I like his skills better than Essex or Hartwig.

No beat up LLT - I love it when someones sleeper pick pans out. It helps keep the draft geeks dream alive

I think we both agree that Legursky is going to be a big contributor down the line as guard and center. I think it is a testament to you that your name is still mentioned in conjunction with Legursky on this board.:drink:

Texasteel
10-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Won't get beat up by me my friend. Remember I was on that wagon with you. Legursky is looking like he is learning day by day and will be a valuable part of this team if he is not already.

Texasteel
10-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Thats the way I see it panning out also...I still have hopes for Cody in round 1...and would not be disappointed to pick up ILB Micah Johnson from Kentucky in the 2nd.

It still seems that most draft "experts" haven't picked up on OT Fox and have him going as late as the 5th round , but I am still projecting him as a late 2nd round early 3rd round pick. If he fell to us in the 3rd I would be VERY happy.

I am starting, just starting, to think Cody could make it to us. I'm reading that several team are concerned about his weight, but could be just smoke. If we could get Cody in the 1st, Johnson, or any one of about 3 other ILB, and then steal Fox in the 3rd I would be ecstatic. Then we could add a safety and an OLB for depth. Man I'm getting excited already.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Tex, as soon as you think a guy will make it to us....he won't. I really thought we were gonna have a shot at Mack because nobody really values C position in the 1st round.

I am doubtful that Cody makes it to us. Kind of the Costanza -do everything backwards philosophy. BTW, congrats on the Hawkeyes.

Texasteel
10-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks Gonzo, I can't believe Ohio St. went down.

I will try the backwards philosophy, everything else has sure backfired on us.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Updated thoughts on draft picks.

1) Terrence Cody NT, University of Alabama, 6’ 5” 365 lbs. (If he is there at end of the 1st we WILL grab him)
2) Jason Fox, OT, Miami, Height: 6-6 Weight: 314 (Underrated on most boards, grades out at 97%)
3) Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky, Height 6-2 Weight 258 ( Another fast riser, solid 3-4 ILB prospect)
3) Dexter Davis, OLB, Arizona State, Height: 6-2 Weight: 255 (Reminds me of Woodley...15 TFL last year with 11 sacks)
4) Alex Carrington, DE, Arkansas State, Height: 6-5 Weight: 284 (I love this guy...19 TFL last year with 10.5 sacks..hampered by injury this year and now offenses are scheming against him , we might get him for a song in a later round)
4) Robert Johnson, FS Utah, Height 6-2 Weight 200 (projection pick- By the end of the season Johnson is going to be a solid middle round pick.)
5) Aaron Pettrey, Kicker, Ohio State, Height: 6-1 Weight: 200 (Pettrey's range is 50+...cya Mr. Reed...thanks for the memories but its time to move on.)
6) Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State, Height 5-11 Weight 220 (Div III prospect with over 5,800 rushing yards and 75 touchdowns. Can run north-south for the short yardage but also is a quick-twitch ball carrier with speed...worth a shot as a small school late round pick)
7) Cam Thomas, NT North Carolina, Height: 6-3 Weight: 328 ( Yes...two DT's. Thomas could be a keeper if he learns to get his pads lower. A young DT corps of Cody & Thomas would be very exciting.)

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Interested to find out if any of you think we may be in need of a RB next year...After my last draft revision I am thinking that we pick up depth in the draft or FA and one of our current backs willl be gone.

SteelMember
10-20-2009, 03:26 PM
What? No Barry Church.

Anyone noticed that there about 6 fs/ss in most projected 1st round mocks. Not saying there isn't talent there, but 6? Just seems like a lot to me. Almost 1/5th, or 20%. :hunch:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2009, 03:38 PM
What? No Barry Church.

Anyone noticed that there about 6 fs/ss in most projected 1st round mocks. Not saying there isn't talent there, but 6? Just seems like a lot to me. Almost 1/5th, or 20%. :hunch:

I LOVE Barry Church...but I think that Robert Johnson is more of a "pure" FS, whereas Church (though versatile) is a SS who can play FS. Dont worry...by the end of the season I may switch back to wanting to spend Sundays with Church...:chuckle:

SteelMember
10-20-2009, 03:58 PM
You may be right about being a SS, but right now I'd say we could stand to improve our backups at either position. If Clark doesn't get re-signed, then THAT becomes the priority.

I started tracking Church because you brought him up, and on paper he's a leader in tackles so far this year. Solo and Assists. So even without being able to see him play, I can tell the kid isn't afraid to put his nose in there and make a hit. That's exactly what we (steelers) look for.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2009, 09:34 AM
You may be right about being a SS, but right now I'd say we could stand to improve our backups at either position. If Clark doesn't get re-signed, then THAT becomes the priority.

I started tracking Church because you brought him up, and on paper he's a leader in tackles so far this year. Solo and Assists. So even without being able to see him play, I can tell the kid isn't afraid to put his nose in there and make a hit. That's exactly what we (steelers) look for.

I am seeing him with an overall ranking between 68-80 to in the upcoming draft...so possible a 3rd-4th rounder.

Here is a little info:

Toledo S LB Barry Church
Description
Church is an exciting prospect to evaluate. The Pittsburgh, PA. native (I didnt know that) is blessed with terrific instincts and plays with tenacity. His body control is one of his biggest assets. He is able to contort his frame in a variety of ways to make plays.

Strengths-Active, arrives with a purpose on contact (Five career forced fumbles) -When lined up over the slot, uses variety of moves to stack and shed -Can manuever his body to make tackles from several different entry angles (Shows some flexibility) -Uses long arms to separate from 2nd level blockers and will tackle in the open field (Plays with knee bend) -Technique Sound -Fast flows

Weaknesses
More comfortable in a zone scheme than in man coverage. However coverage skills are such that this should not be a problem.

Summary
Church is an ascending player with a tremendous amount of versatility. He has excelled in pass coverage and been stout vs. the run. If he can show the same pass coverage ability as he did early in his career, he could surprise on draft day.

A home-town kid...sound technique...good character...

Sounds promising. I will be interested in seeing if he runs below 4.5

Texasteel
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I am seeing him with an overall ranking between 68-80 to in the upcoming draft...so possible a 3rd-4th rounder.

Here is a little info:

A home-town kid...sound technique...good character...

Sounds promising. I will be interested in seeing if he runs below 4.5

A kid with his size. If he runs a sub 4.5 - 40 I would think interest in him will rise. and so will his draft position. Defiantly one to watch.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
A kid with his size. If he runs a sub 4.5 - 40 I would think interest in him will rise. and so will his draft position. Defiantly one to watch.

Steelmember brings up a good point about us needing depth at both safety positions.

I have seen Church's speed ranked as somehere between 4.47 to 4.56. I will do some research and see if I can find an "official" 40 time.

SteelMember
10-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Very Nice.

A 4 year starter with All-MAC 1st team honors since he was a freshmen.

Barry Church (http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=1479202)

and your right on with nfldraftscouts (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=64802&draftyear=2010&genpos=SS) 40 times.

Aussie_steeler
10-22-2009, 03:26 AM
Steelmember brings up a good point about us needing depth at both safety positions.

I have seen Church's speed ranked as somehere between 4.47 to 4.56. I will do some research and see if I can find an "official" 40 time.

Unless there are plans for Keenan Lewis to convert to FS I see that in the 2010 draft it is essential that a backup SS is drafted to replace Carter and a FS is brought in to be groomed as a possible starter for 2011 onwards.

Church is the ideal type of guy that could replace Carter. I cannot find the link but I am sure that I read somewhere Church was compared to Tom Zbikowski. Special teams demon and reliable backup. I could live with that kind of pick.

EDIT: Was thinking of Kyle McCarthy with Zbikowski reference.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81203870&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Two safety picks in the first 5 rounds sounds good to me.

Texasteel
10-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Unless there are plans for Keenan Lewis to convert to FS I see that in the 2010 draft it is essential that a backup SS is drafted to replace Carter and a FS is brought in to be groomed as a possible starter for 2011 onwards.

Church is the ideal type of guy that could replace Carter. I cannot find the link but I am sure that I read somewhere Church was compared to Tom Zbikowski. Special teams demon and reliable backup. I could live with that kind of pick.

EDIT: Was thinking of Kyle McCarthy with Zbikowski reference.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81203870&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Two safety picks in the first 5 rounds sounds good to me.

I'm working on a new mock right now and have Major Wright in the 2nd and Church in the 4th. How does that sound to you?

Aussie_steeler
10-22-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm working on a new mock right now and have Major Wright in the 2nd and Church in the 4th. How does that sound to you?

Were you a carpenter in a previous life? I think you have definitely hit two nails on the head with Wright and Church.

How are you leaning in the first? DT, DE or OLB..............or O line????

Texasteel
10-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Were you a carpenter in a previous life? I think you have definitely hit two nails on the head with Wright and Church.

How are you leaning in the first? DT, DE or OLB..............or O line????

DT My mind is kinda stuck on Jeff Owens. I think he is up to 310 now and hasn't lost a lot of quickness. I honestly believe that he would have been an early 1st rounder last year if he hadn't hurt his knee.

DE I am leaning toward Alex Carrington, LLTs guy. I think he could be a bit of a steal because he is not having the year he did last year numbers wise.

OT I would love Fox but he doesn't make it out of the second. I like Calloway, of course, but also like Lee Ziemba of Auburn, and Matt Reynolds of BYU if one of them come out.

ILB The usual 1st round names Spikes and McClain but believe they will be gone. I'm starting to look at Sean Weatherspoon Missouri. I know he plays OLB in school but looks to be a kid that could play inside for us.

OLB The kids I really like will be gone in the 1st 3 rounds, but I still have high hopes for Auston English.

Aussie_steeler
10-22-2009, 06:19 AM
DT My mind is kinda stuck on Jeff Owens. I think he is up to 310 now and hasn't lost a lot of quickness. I honestly believe that he would have been an early 1st rounder last year if he hadn't hurt his knee.

DE I am leaning toward Alex Carrington, LLTs guy. I think he could be a bit of a steal because he is not having the year he did last year numbers wise.

OT I would love Fox but he doesn't make it out of the second. I like Calloway, of course, but also like Lee Ziemba of Auburn, and Matt Reynolds of BYU if one of them come out.

ILB The usual 1st round names Spikes and McClain but believe they will be gone. I'm starting to look at Sean Weatherspoon Missouri. I know he plays OLB in school but looks to be a kid that could play inside for us.

OLB The kids I really like will be gone in the 1st 3 rounds, but I still have high hopes for Auston English.

I think Jeff Owens is this years Ron Brace. He will fly into the 2nd round with some solid play in the second half of the season.

I like Calloway alot and 3rd round is probably going to be a gross undervalueing come draft time.

I have a gut feeling that the ILB slide will continue ala Pozluznsy, Laurinitis etc. and Spikes rather than McClain will be available at our pick. He will be hard to pass if a premium OLB is available.

Looking forward to your full mock. I am weeks away from putting together a full blown mock, but I can quickly churn out a dream mock.

Love the dialouge once again with the diehard draftnuts.

Texasteel
10-22-2009, 06:33 AM
I think Jeff Owens is this years Ron Brace. He will fly into the 2nd round with some solid play in the second half of the season.

I like Calloway alot and 3rd round is probably going to be a gross undervalueing come draft time.

I have a gut feeling that the ILB slide will continue ala Pozluznsy, Laurinitis etc. and Spikes rather than McClain will be available at our pick. He will be hard to pass if a premium OLB is available.

Looking forward to your full mock. I am weeks away from putting together a full blown mock, but I can quickly churn out a dream mock.

Love the dialouge once again with the diehard draftnuts.

I'm afraid you may be right about Owens, but you know that happens with every player I like.

If Iowa gets into a BCS Bowl Calloway could move up also, right now he is Iowas best OL

If Spikes is there for us I think he is an automatic pick.

Aussie_steeler
10-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Just got my pay tv guide in the mail and great news. We are getting a major digital tv upgrade which means loads more US sport for us. I have checked the guides and we are going to get loads more college games broadcast both live and on delay in OZ.

This draft nut is getting excited. I have been getting overloaded with Bama games lately. It will be nice to see a broader range of prospects outside of the SEC.

I think I may well ride the Calloway and Owens wagon all the way to the draft with you.

The next guy I want to see is Iupati OG out of Idaho. He sounds like a helluva guard who would be an ideal fit in black and gold.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2009, 03:54 AM
I'm afraid you may be right about Owens, but you know that happens with every player I like.

If Iowa gets into a BCS Bowl Calloway could move up also, right now he is Iowas best OL

If Spikes is there for us I think he is an automatic pick.
i could definetly get onboard with spikes...:thumbsup:

Texasteel
10-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Here you go Aussie, I've been working on this for a while. I know it will probably change some as the year go's on. I have seen most of these players in action.

Congratulations on the new collage football station.

1. Brandan Spikes / ILB / Florida---- Brandan's groin injury could be a God send for us. He had to set the rest of a game that Florida almost lost. He may not be near 100% for a while. If he's gone I would take a good look at Sean Weatherspoon if we think he could move inside.

2. Major Wright / FS / Florida---- If Florida wins the NC I think he will come out. Some might say this is to early, I don't think so.

3a. Jeff Owens / DT / Georgia---- Lost a whole season last year with a nasty knee injury. Would have been an early 1st round draft pick in last years draft. 310, extremely quick, and very strong. I believe I've read he can bench 500 lb.

3b. Kyle Calloway / OT / Iowa---- Colon is having a good year and we could lose him, if not Calloway will still strengthen the line as a backup. Has played LT at times but would be a RT in the pros.

4a. Berry Church / SS / Toledo---- Great size, good speed. Instant improvement behind Troy.

4b. Alex Carrington / DE / Ark. St.---- The preseason Sun Belt player of the year is not having a great year, and will slid in the draft.

5. Auston English / DE / Okla.---- Will switch to OLB for us. Was 1st team all Big 12 selection in 2007 as a soph. last years season was cut short 3 games by a knee injury.

6. Ben Tate / RB / Auburn---- Good Size and speed. A major player in the high powered Auburn Offense.

7. Tony Moeaki / TE / Iowa---- OK guys hear me out. Tony has never been able to stay healthy, he even missed 2 games this year, but when he plays there are few better receiving TEs. This is a gamble that Tonys injury problems are behind him. This is round 7 pick you know.

I know some of these kids will move up in the next 4 months, but this is the mock I will probably work off of.

AllD
10-24-2009, 07:58 AM
We need a play maker such as somebody who has the most picks in the NCAA or a sack master.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-24-2009, 11:12 AM
4b. Alex Carrington / DE / Ark. St.---- The preseason Sun Belt player of the year is not having a great year, and will slide in the draft.

Teams have been scheming against Carrington...wouldnt mind it if he slid a bit!! :thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
I was wondering about Tomlin trading down again this next year. Much like last years draft, there is very good talent in the 3-5 draft range this coming year.

Was just throwing some thoughts together using NFLdraftscout.com rankings and here is a scenerio I came up with.

1. TRADE DOWN
2. DE Vince Oghobaase, Duke
2. OT Jason Fox, Miami
3. TRADE DOWN
3. OC J.D. Walton, Baylor
3. ILB Micah Johnson, Kentucky
4. SS Barry Church, Toledo
4. OLB Dexter Davis, Arizona State
5. K Aaron Pettrey, Ohio State
5. TE Michael Hoomanawanui, Illinois
5. NT Dan Williams, Tennessee
6. FS Robert Johnson, Utah
7. RB Joique Bell, Wayne St.

I didnt use my own "projected placement" as in the other drafts (with the exception of Dan Williams who is ranked waaay to low in most draft lists) .....just where NFLdraftscout.com has them placed as of today. Gotta say...I would be VERY happy with this draft. Every one of these players are exciting!!!

Texasteel
10-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Teams have been scheming against Carrington...wouldnt mind it if he slid a bit!! :thumbsup:

I agree with you, I would grab him in the 4th in a heart beat. We still need to get a little younger on the DL.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2009, 06:22 PM
i'm watching the tennesse alabama game and i must say i'm not that impressed with cody...he just blocked a field goal, but still...:noidea:

as a side note...bama's qb sucks..

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
i'm watching the tennesse alabama game and i must say i'm not that impressed with cody...he just blocked a field goal, but still...:noidea:

as a side note...bama's qb sucks..

I have heard through several on-line sources that Cody may slip to the end of the 1st or early 2nd round.

I am getting more interested in NT Dan Williams...6'2 327 lbs,

10/12/09 - SEC WEEK 6 OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE: DT DAN WILLIAMS (Tennessee) - Had five tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, against Georgia.

10/08/09 - Tennessee's defensive line is consistently getting penetration, averaging three stops behind the line of scrimmage per game. The Volunteers' 35 tackles for loss in the first five games rank third in the SEC and in the top 25 nationally.

10/03/09 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: DT Dan Williams - The senior can be a game-changer at his best, so this would be a good week for him to win the battles up front and be a disruptive force like he was against UCLA. If Williams can dominate, Auburn will have a tough time achieving offensive balance.

09/14/09 - Five different players posted career highs in tackles against UCLA, with the most notable being senior DT Dan Williams. He had eight, an impressive number for a tackle whose job is to stop O-linemen from getting to linebackers.

Most sites still have Williams as a 7-FA prospect, but I think he will be a 4th-5th rounder at this rate.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
cody jiggles like jello when he runs off the field....:chuckle:..... they take him off on passing downs.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2009, 06:57 PM
wow...mount cody just blocked another one with 4 seconds to go in the game....

Aussie_steeler
10-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Here you go Aussie, I've been working on this for a while. I know it will probably change some as the year go's on. I have seen most of these players in action.

Congratulations on the new collage football station.

1. Brandan Spikes / ILB / Florida---- Brandan's groin injury could be a God send for us. He had to set the rest of a game that Florida almost lost. He may not be near 100% for a while. If he's gone I would take a good look at Sean Weatherspoon if we think he could move inside.

2. Major Wright / FS / Florida---- If Florida wins the NC I think he will come out. Some might say this is to early, I don't think so.

3a. Jeff Owens / DT / Georgia---- Lost a whole season last year with a nasty knee injury. Would have been an early 1st round draft pick in last years draft. 310, extremely quick, and very strong. I believe I've read he can bench 500 lb.

3b. Kyle Calloway / OT / Iowa---- Colon is having a good year and we could lose him, if not Calloway will still strengthen the line as a backup. Has played LT at times but would be a RT in the pros.

4a. Berry Church / SS / Toledo---- Great size, good speed. Instant improvement behind Troy.

4b. Alex Carrington / DE / Ark. St.---- The preseason Sun Belt player of the year is not having a great year, and will slid in the draft.

5. Auston English / DE / Okla.---- Will switch to OLB for us. Was 1st team all Big 12 selection in 2007 as a soph. last years season was cut short 3 games by a knee injury.

6. Ben Tate / RB / Auburn---- Good Size and speed. A major player in the high powered Auburn Offense.

7. Tony Moeaki / TE / Iowa---- OK guys hear me out. Tony has never been able to stay healthy, he even missed 2 games this year, but when he plays there are few better receiving TEs. This is a gamble that Tonys injury problems are behind him. This is round 7 pick you know.

I know some of these kids will move up in the next 4 months, but this is the mock I will probably work off of.

I am sitting here watching ASU vs Stanford thinking about draft prospects,( Toby Gerhart RB ASU sure looks like a load that would be great out of the i-formation) and thinking about mock draft possibilities. Just found this TEX and I think you have absolutely nailed it.

I could not argue against any of those players at the moment.
They are all well valued and would be ideal in black & gold. I love the first five picks. They are guys that I have consistently had on my radar. I think Spikes would be an awesome MLB who could make up for any drop off in run D if we lost Casey Hampton.

The chances of going Florida 1 / 2 is not likely but Major Wright would be perfect at this pick.

Owens, Calloway and Church would all be very sound picks all meeting major needs initially as backups.

Appreciate the effort you have gone to Tex. Make sure you dont give up on your initial mid and late round picks. Every year we pimp guys all year and then go cold on them near the draft. They always seem to be the guys that we draft.

I will have one up soon. Whilst reading your mock I was thinking about another trade down scenario and what do you think is posted straight after you...... LLT's trade down mock. I am starting to think some of us need to start seeing the same doctor.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-24-2009, 11:23 PM
I will have one up soon. Whilst reading your mock I was thinking about another trade down scenario and what do you think is posted straight after you...... LLT's trade down mock. I am starting to think some of us need to start seeing the same doctor.

:drink:

Aussie_steeler
10-25-2009, 05:45 AM
I was wondering about Tomlin trading down again this next year. Much like last years draft, there is very good talent in the 3-5 draft range this coming year.

Was just throwing some thoughts together using NFLdraftscout.com rankings and here is a scenerio I came up with.

1. TRADE DOWN
2. OT Jason Fox, Miami
3. TRADE DOWN
!!!

I like your thinking with the trade down scenario. I need to read up on the players in bold as they are new to me at this stage. Good job that hits all the right spots ( I would like to see FS a bit higher but you cant have everything)

Barry Church is starting to become a board favourite here. Cant wait to see some game film.

I am happy to see Hoomanawanui stay in any mock you put up. I believe he is the type of TE they will be looking for in the draft. A pass catching TE that can truly block.

Time to go do some reading and consider similar options for a trade down scenario.

Cant wait for the official LLT draft thread. Its like a kid waiting for xmas.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I like your thinking with the trade down scenario. I need to read up on the players in bold as they are new to me at this stage. Good job that hits all the right spots ( I would like to see FS a bit higher but you cant have everything)

OC J.D. Walton, Baylor: 6-3 305, stout Man-blocking center with good lower body strength, can play OG also. Walton wa the center that I was pimping at the end of last season. Good to see that he is ranked as high as the #2 center in the nation now. I think that he and Eric Olsen from Notre Dame fit our system better than the other centers in this draft. Need position if we dont resign Hartwig.

K Aaron Pettrey, Ohio State: Has already connected on five field goals of at least 45 yards this season. Strongest leg coming out this next year with a 50+ yard range. Nursing a bad ankle but would be the replacement for Reed.

FS Robert Johnson, Utah: 6'2 200 lb free safety that is starting to get some media love. 5 interceptions and a 64 yard TD from a fumble recovery this year.

RB Joique Bell, Wayne St.: Small school sleeper...5'11 220 lb Div III prospect with over 5,800 rushing yards and 75 touchdowns. Can run north-south for the short yardage but also is a quick-twitch ball carrier with speed...worth a shot as a late round pick

Steely McSmash
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
.... Need position if we dont resign Hartwig. ....

Hartwig resigned through 2012 before the season.

I'm curious that you guys are so interested in trade down scenarios this year.

I think that we'll be getting 3 comp picks with 2 of them 3rd or 4th rounders.

Since this last year we saw 8 rookies make the 53 man roster, I'm not sure that getting more picks is the best value this year. I think the IR status for Tank, McHugh,and Stapleton is primarily a stashing move by the team.

I'm not so well informed on college talent that doesn't play for PSU or their opponents, but I could see this year as the year to move up or trade picks to other teams for higher picks the following year.

My thoughts on team needs:

I can see that we have a definite need at NT to get someone young in there. (+1)

I think we're fairly well set at DE with the two rookies and McLendon on the PS.

LB depth is a need, Probably OLB first since Fox is pretty good inside. (+2)

Safety is a huge need. Hopefully we'll be able to be comfortable with the young corners so that we can carry 4 safeties. not sure iof Clark will be back (+1 or 2)

RB could probably use one more in the mix, not sure if FWP will be back. (+1)

TE is probably not a need with McHugh coming back

WR could use one. With Wallace stepping up, we don't need a veteran insurance policy so much (+1) McDonald's spot could be taken by Grisham who may become the next Sean Morey.

QB not needed in the draft

ST guys, maybe need a later rounder on a kicker if Reed is drinking somewhere else next year (+1)

OL is a toss up and it seems there is no way to predict the FO moves here. I think that they look at Foster as the heir at RT if Colon goes (only in case of CBA). Could use one more Tackle to compete with Hills. Guard might be set with the guys they have unless Urbik is bombing. (+1)

So that's 9 roster spots potentially open as I see it. Probably one or two will go to PS guys or some UDFA as it seems every year, Considering the need at NT, OLB and safety, I wouldn't mind trading up for some top shelf talent..

Also looking over draft sites, it seems like there are a lot of guys with NT size this year and a lot of highly ranked safeties. Could bode well for us.:drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Steely, I agree with a lot that you have to say. But, I dont think Stapleton is "stashed", this is his final year of the contract and he has become expendable. I do agree that McHugh might be stashed and they could easily let Spaeth walk.

Needs are as you say, ILB and OLB depth. DE's should be fine, but NT is a definate need. I think the interior O line is fine, but could use some depth at OT. Ramon Foster is a guard, not a RT, so if Colon walks I can see either Essex or Hills playing RT. Also look for a kicker when Reed leaves.

NT, ILB, OT, OLB, PK, FS, RB, TE are probably our needs in some kind of order of importance. I think Parker, Spaeth, Townsend, Reed, McDonald, Stapleton are all gone and maybe even Hampton.

Aussie_steeler
10-30-2009, 06:27 AM
This draft class is going to be deep in a number of positions. I can see a heavy dose of picks on the D side.

I can see a number of 3-4 OLB's in the first 2 rounds that will be strongly considered.
Safety looks deeper than usual and bodes well considering our needs at both FS and SS.

MLB is a concern for me - outside of the top 4 I dont see too many ILB's. The emergence of Keyaron Fox may rule out the need for MLB this year. ( I want Donta Hightower from Bama next year in the 1st)

NT is a gamble looking at the mid round prospects. And I really still am not sold on Cody.

A TE that catches and blocks is a good chance mid to late.

OT is another position that worries me a little. I see a lot of Tony Hills type players who could take a lot of grooming to get up to NFL speed.

MasterOfPuppets
10-30-2009, 02:52 PM
actually i think from top to bottom this is one of the worst draft classes i've seen. i'm not saying theres no future stars but as far as there college resumes goes nobody really stands out. look at the skill positions... the qb class is full of weak armed chad pennington type of guys. there are no visible adrian peterson or calvin johnsons . hell i don't see anyone playing worthy of the hiesman. .on defense theres no few good ones, but no patrick willis's or aj hawks. good year to trade down if you ask me.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-31-2009, 05:52 AM
actually i think from top to bottom this is one of the worst draft classes i've seen. i'm not saying theres no future stars but as far as there college resumes goes nobody really stands out. look at the skill positions... the qb class is full of weak armed chad pennington type of guys. there are no visible adrian peterson or calvin johnsons . hell i don't see anyone playing worthy of the hiesman. .on defense theres no few good ones, but no patrick willis's or aj hawks. good year to trade down if you ask me.

That is what I was saying before. This is a good year to trade down since value is in the 3rd-5th rounds. I think we are going to see some pretty considerable "reaches" this year, with players going in the 1st and 2nd rounds that wouldnt have warranted that high of a draft grade if they would have came out last year.

As Aussie stated, there are a few deeper positions. Safety in the first two rounds...LBer in the 2nd and 3rd...DE's in the late 1st round to early 3rd round....etc.

Texasteel
10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
There are a select few that would be worth our early pick if they made it to us, but I agree trading down could be the best way to go. I wouldn't even mind stock piling a pick or 2 for next year, but I don't ever remember the Steelers doing that. If we end up this draft with a good safety, a LBer. and 2 DLs I think I will be happy Oh yea, and an OT.

SteelMember
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
So, with Brandon Spikes' latest "episode", do you think he raises any red flags for anyone and falls past the top 20? Do you think the Steelers would consider this an isolated incident? He's a mean MFr', but I've never heard about things like this from him before. So I guess I'm saying, I'd still take him if we had any shot.

Texasteel
11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
So, with Brandon Spikes' latest "episode", do you think he raises any red flags for anyone and falls past the top 20? Do you think the Steelers would consider this an isolated incident? He's a mean MFr', but I've never heard about things like this from him before. So I guess I'm saying, I'd still take him if we had any shot.

I agree with you. I would take him right now. He would be a great value where I think we will be picking, and fills a position of need. IMO.

Aussie_steeler
11-05-2009, 01:03 AM

Consider him picked if he is available. Too good to pass up if he is on the board.

steelwalls
11-05-2009, 01:07 AM

You're on a roll nd time in a row I totally agree. :thumbsup:

However I do see us taking a RB withen the first 3.

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Consider him picked if he is available. Too good to pass up if he is on the board.lol...yea right !.... i've been a steelerfan for 35 or so years and have followed the draft for at least 25. i even talked (nagged) my mom into letting me stay home from school a few times just to watch the draft. the one thing i've found to be consistent in that time is, they never pick who i'd pick out of the avaiable players. this year i want spikes, so if you can find someone to take the bet they WON'T pick him if he's available...TAKE IT !!!

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2009, 01:39 AM
You're on a roll nd time in a row I totally agree. :thumbsup:

However I do see us taking a RB withen the first 3.
i wouldn't put money on it. this is a weak ass class of running backs this year. if i was doing the picking at 32, and every back was still on the board, i wouldn't take any of them. at 64 i'd take Toby Gerhart, Stanford, or Anthony Dixon, Mississippi State in the 3rd , but i doubt they'd be around.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2009, 10:38 AM
i wouldn't put money on it. this is a weak ass class of running backs this year. if i was doing the picking at 32, and every back was still on the board, i wouldn't take any of them. at 64 i'd take Toby Gerhart, Stanford, or Anthony Dixon, Mississippi State in the 3rd , but i doubt they'd be around.

How about Brandon Minor at around pick 130??

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2009, 07:06 PM
How about Brandon Minor at around pick 130??brandon minor ? are you serious ? he doesn't have much of a resume.... 10 receptions, 5 - 100 yd games, and less than 1500 yds in 37 games .... not known for speed, not very big....i'd be suprised if he even got drafted....:noidea:
maybe that tate kid from auburn...

Aussie_steeler
11-06-2009, 12:58 AM

With you on that one:thumbsup:

SteelMember
11-06-2009, 08:03 AM

Tate set the Maryland high school record for career rushing yards with 5,920 and the single-season mark with 2,886 rushing yards.

I thought you might like him. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-07-2009, 08:33 AM
This draft is going to be a "depth draft" for us. We have several positions that we need immediate depth and in which we need to draft with an eye to the future. Depth at Safety/OT/OLB and future players at ILB/NT/DE/and Kicker.

We may be able to draft the BPA for those positions as the draft progresses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2009, 10:41 AM
brandon minor ? are you serious ? he doesn't have much of a resume.... 10 receptions, 5 - 100 yd games, and less than 1500 yds in 37 games .... not known for speed, not very big....i'd be suprised if he even got drafted....:noidea:

I think we have all the speed we need in Mendenhall and Logan going forward. I am just looking at somebody that will be a guy to take some carries and be somebody that gets the tough yards.

2010 is the final year of Moore's contract, so I expect to see somebody drafted and in place for 2011. Mendenhall, Minor, Logan, Summers or Redman could be a possibility.

Brandon Minor/RB/Michigan: Minor received late round grades entering the season but the Wolverine senior has elevated his game this year. He's a hard running, interior ball carrier that continually displays the ability to pick up the tough yardage when necessary. Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0VupN2SP9

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-07-2009, 11:59 AM
2010 is the final year of Moore's contract, so I expect to see somebody drafted and in place for 2011. Mendenhall, Minor, Logan, Summers or Redman could be a possibility.

I am still pimping Joique Bell..., rushed for 314 yards and three touchdowns last week . He had 11 carries for 142 yards and two scores in the FIRST QUARTER. Thats four yards shy of his personal best of 318 yards. Bell, with his career total of 6,654 yards ranks eighth in NCAA history.

I know he is from a small school, but this kid is what later rounds were made for.

Steely McSmash
11-07-2009, 12:08 PM
This draft is going to be a "depth draft" for us. We have several positions that we need immediate depth and in which we need to draft with an eye to the future. Depth at Safety/OT/OLB and future players at ILB/NT/DE/and Kicker.

We may be able to draft the BPA for those positions as the draft progresses.

Should have a much better idea of DE needs after the Denver game. Hopefully the rooks look good and we can consider that position filled next year with Smith/Keisel backed up by Eason/Harris/Hood If that's the case we maybe get a later round guy to battle for a PS spot with McClendon.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Should have a much better idea of DE needs after the Denver game. Hopefully the rooks look good and we can consider that position filled next year with Smith/Keisel backed up by Eason/Harris/Hood If that's the case we maybe get a later round guy to battle for a PS spot with McClendon.

I have to look three years down the road and wonder how many of our Vets will still be in the DE rotation. Very few players can come into a 3-4 defense and be proficient at DE....soooooo do we grab a player this year or wait and see what kind of ceiling Harris has?

Of course Tomlin and Lebeau watch these guys daily, so that final determinant will be based on information that we are not privy to. By what I see, I wouldnt mind having one more youngblood competing at that position ..very soon.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I am still pimping Joique Bell..., rushed for 314 yards and three touchdowns last week . He had 11 carries for 142 yards and two scores in the FIRST QUARTER. Thats four yards shy of his personal best of 318 yards. Bell, with his career total of 6,654 yards ranks eighth in NCAA history.

I know he is from a small school, but this kid is what later rounds were made for.

Sounds good. I just think the Steelers will look to add a player in round 4-5 if a good back is there. They might deem Bell to be that guy. I can see Mendenhall as the feature back, Logan a 3rd down specialist and the need to get a complimentary back in the draft or then free agency.

As for the DE position. I think Keisel, Hood and Harris are here long term. Really liked what I saw from Harris in the preseason.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Sounds good. I just think the Steelers will look to add a player in round 4-5 if a good back is there. They might deem Bell to be that guy. I can see Mendenhall as the feature back, Logan a 3rd down specialist and the need to get a complimentary back in the draft or then free agency.

As for the DE position. I think Keisel, Hood and Harris are here long term. Really liked what I saw from Harris in the preseason.

I think before all is said and done, Bell might be a 4th-5th rounder. His stock is rising and he has gone form a UDFA to now showing up on draft charts.

If you are correct about a future DE corp of Hood, Kiesel, & Harris, then we may go for a "project" DE this year. I am going to keep an eye on Carrington, his stock is slipping due to lack of stats. (although teams are scheming against him and he gets alot of double teams) If he drops into the 5th round range, he could be a steal.

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2009, 01:01 AM
I think we have all the speed we need in Mendenhall and Logan going forward. I am just looking at somebody that will be a guy to take some carries and be somebody that gets the tough yards.

Brandon Minor/RB/Michigan: Minor received late round grades entering the season but the Wolverine senior has elevated his game this year. He's a hard running, interior ball carrier that continually displays the ability to pick up the tough yardage when necessary. Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0VupN2SP9here's a short yardage bowling ball....
DeMaundray Woolridge

Height 5-9
Weight 241 lbs.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=174666

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I have heard through several on-line sources that Cody may slip to the end of the 1st or early 2nd round.

I am getting more interested in NT Dan Williams...6'2 327 lbs,

Most sites still have Williams as a 7-FA prospect, but I think he will be a 4th-5th rounder at this rate.

Just as I thought...Dan Williams is showing up as a 3rd-4th round pick on a lot of boards.
:banging:

Other than Cody...he would be my choice for depth at NT in the upcoming draft.

Texasteel
11-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Just as I thought...Dan Williams is showing up as a 3rd-4th round pick on a lot of boards.

I've heard the same rumors, and I agree, if Cody is there we take him.

I have be interested in Williams for a while now. He could be a very good mid-round pick for us.

MasterOfPuppets
11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
i'd like to see cody turn some of that fat into muscle.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-10-2009, 09:26 AM
i'd like to see cody turn some of that fat into muscle.

Even at his weight he can dunk a basketball....that being said, your right. He is a beast right now and should have an even higher ceiling with the help of a NFL training program

Aussie_steeler
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Quality NT's are going to climb with so many teams switching to the 3-4. That will make it tougher to get a NT at good value.

I mentioned Jerrell Powe DT Ole Miss before. I have watched a bit of him and I like him for a 3rd - 4th round pick if he chooses to go early. He is my man to watch at NT.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632316

SteelMember
11-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Quality NT's are going to climb with so many teams switching to the 3-4. That will make it tougher to get a NT at good value

Gott agree with you there Aussie.

It seems over the past 2-3 years the players/positions we covet get scooped up before we have our shot. I think the last guy we picked for a position of need that fell to us was Heath Miller.

As you say, there are plenty of teams changing their defensive alignments. So now that we have most of our o-line signed (with the exception of Colon, I believe) this will be the year we will get a shot at an OT. :chuckle:

I hope we just keep going with the BPA. With the exception of QB and RB (which Spiller may be the only possible 1st rd. material anyway. Maybe add Charles Scott), any other position would be fine with me.

supa_fly_steeler
11-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Could we trade out of the 1st round to resign some of our people like Ryan Clark and Casey Hampton it most likely a longshot but it could happen?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Could we trade out of the 1st round to resign some of our people like Ryan Clark and Casey Hampton it most likely a longshot but it could happen?

I talked about that scenerio a couple of weeks ago...here is the post and draft that I proposed based on trading down.

1. TRADE DOWN
2. OT Jason Fox, Miami
3. TRADE DOWN

supa_fly_steeler
11-14-2009, 01:55 PM
That's a nice list, i maybe a bit bias but id like us to draft a virginia tech corner, there quite physical, and they have learned alot from frank beamer, going to the steelers and learning under dick lebeau would be very knowledgeable.

If we are going to draft a defensive back which most likely we will GM will want more physical than ball hawking, but the whole package is would be more ideal, if we could get that alabama defensive tackle in the 2nd that would be awesome as well, i know some draft prospects rise and fall, i hope he's someone that can fall to us.

But pre-draft is all speculation which i love, we could trade up to get a 1st round saftey, id rather not that means less cap space to spend :S

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-14-2009, 03:24 PM
That's a nice list, i maybe a bit bias but id like us to draft a virginia tech corner, there quite physical, and they have learned alot from frank beamer, going to the steelers and learning under dick lebeau would be very knowledgeable.

If we are going to draft a defensive back which most likely we will GM will want more physical than ball hawking, but the whole package is would be more ideal, if we could get that alabama defensive tackle in the 2nd that would be awesome as well, i know some draft prospects rise and fall, i hope he's someone that can fall to us.

But pre-draft is all speculation which i love, we could trade up to get a 1st round saftey, id rather not that means less cap space to spend :S

Strong Safety Barry Church is exactly the player you are describing...as a CB you may like Kyle Wilson, of Boise State.

supa_fly_steeler
11-14-2009, 03:59 PM
dam i like kyle wilsons highlights on utube....please mike tomlin please get him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-15-2009, 11:18 AM
dam i like kyle wilsons highlights on utube....please mike tomlin please get him.

LMAO!!

Yea..he is a stud.

My favorite sleeper this year is Joique Bell the RB from Wayne State... Great character....and Bell finished the regular season 2,084 rushing yards and 17.5 points per gamed.

He has 6,728 career rushing yards, 8,055 career all-purpose yards and averaged 152.9 rushing yards per game.

supa_fly_steeler
11-15-2009, 07:40 PM
im a hokie homer lol, yea joique looks great, i think this will be one of the better running back classes of the years.

SteelersTilIDie
11-16-2009, 06:25 PM
OL, DL, LB, S, RB maybe

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I think the Steelers will again be BPA while leaning to some needs they have to upgrade youth at ILB and OT. I honestly see a lot of potential OT's slipping this year and not playing up to expectations. Russell Okung should be the #1 OT, but guys like Trent Williams, Bulaga, Anthony Davis, Sam Young are all sliding IMO.

This year, the Steelers could get a developing OT late in the 1st, or even trading up in the 2nd.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2009, 12:20 PM
I think the Steelers will again be BPA while leaning to some needs they have to upgrade youth at ILB and OT. I honestly see a lot of potential OT's slipping this year and not playing up to expectations. Russell Okung should be the #1 OT, but guys like Trent Williams, Bulaga, Anthony Davis, Sam Young are all sliding IMO.

This year, the Steelers could get a developing OT late in the 1st, or even trading up in the 2nd.

In your opinion...Where do you see my guy "Fox" being drafted?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2009, 01:20 PM

I honestly havent been able to get any video on him. I tried recording a game when I was away on holidays in Oct, but DVR didnt record. He sounds like a 2nd rounder, but I would like to see him more on video, as his feet are reportedly good for a LT.

Bulaga has not impressed and looks like he may translate to a RT to me, but he has also been injured. I think his best bet might be to stay in school. Trent Williams has had trouble transitioning to LT, but he is more athletic than Loadholt was and I think can play LT...he will just take time.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I honestly havent been able to get any video on him. I tried recording a game when I was away on holidays in Oct, but DVR didnt record. He sounds like a 2nd rounder, but I would like to see him more on video, as his feet are reportedly good for a LT.

Bulaga has not impressed and looks like he may translate to a RT to me, but he has also been injured. I think his best bet might be to stay in school. Trent Williams has had trouble transitioning to LT, but he is more athletic than Loadholt was and I think can play LT...he will just take time.

I have seen Fox sneak into the first found is some drafts but I agree that due to a lack of media exposure he may be there at the end of the 2nd.

SteelMember
11-17-2009, 03:06 PM

If I said mid to late 4th, early 5th, would you believe me? :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
If I said mid to late 4th, early 5th, would you believe me? :wink02:

Actually I would pray that your right and we would pick him up in one of those rounds!!!! :tt:

But,seriously....he looks to be climbing....if my luck runs like it ussually does, he will get invited to a senior bowl game and blow everyone away. Giving us NO chance of drafting him.

MasterOfPuppets
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
how comes nobody is talkin about my boy bruce campbell from maryland ? :noidea:

#74 Bruce Campbell LT 6'7" 310lbs. JR.

According to reports is playing with an ACL injury, but he showed great ability as a pass protector, as he has very quick feet, long arms, and wants to be good. He blocks until the play is over and although he does not have great pop as a run blocker, he is effective because of effort. Campbell looks and plays like an NFL left tackle. I have not seen him against a great edge kind of speed rusher, but I believe he would handle it well. One of the two best offensive tackles I have seen this year.

Bruce Campbell: No. 74, OT, 6'7", 310 Pounds

A natural bender who really sits into his stance well and has an ability to anchor vs. the bull-rush. Keeps his base down through his initial kick-step and does a nice job dropping his pad level on contact. Is really patient in pass protection and trusts his athleticism. Shows good lateral mobility and possesses the quickness to consistently reach the corner vs. speed rushers. Redirects well in space and has the length to keep defenders off his frame. However, he has a tendency to get a bit upright and narrow in the base when sliding his feet on contact and will fall off blocks on the counter move. Needs to do a better job locking onto defenders at the point of attack. Isn’t a consistent Velcro player in pass protection.

Has a tendency to get a bit high off the ball in the run game and can be overwhelmed on contact. Possesses the athleticism to turn opposing linemen away from the play, but struggles to consistently generate movement as an in-line guy.

Impression: Possesses an impressive set of physical and athletic tools and has the ability to develop into a starting left tackle at the next level.

SteelMember
11-17-2009, 03:38 PM
how comes nobody is talkin about my boy bruce campbell from maryland ? :noidea:

Bruce Campbell... He's great in those Evil Dead movies. :chuckle:

seroiusly, If he declares, I think he's a first round talent.

How's his toe?

MasterOfPuppets
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Bruce Campbell... He's great in those Evil Dead movies. :chuckle:

seroiusly, If he declares, I think he's a first round talent.

How's his toe?i think its ok, but he hurt his knee....he's not your typical fatass linemen...check out those guns..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ve_as9k6PvI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ve_as9k6PvI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SteelMember
11-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Is he going to play this week?

They play FSU if i'm not mistaken, so I might have regional coverage of that game.

Texasteel
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Actually I would pray that your right and we would pick him up in one of those rounds!!!! :tt:

But,seriously....he looks to be climbing....if my luck runs like it ussually does, he will get invited to a senior bowl game and blow everyone away. Giving us NO chance of drafting him.

I've seen him play twice. I may not be the best judge of talent, but I see him as a mid 2nd rounder right now. He shows good foot work in the combines and he will probably move up.

Since I've given up on a LT this year, we will probably get one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I have seen Fox sneak into the first found is some drafts but I agree that due to a lack of media exposure he may be there at the end of the 2nd.

Nobody had less exposure than Jason Smith at Baylor last year and look what happened. I think bowl season, Senior Bowl and Combine can move a guy like Fox from rounds 2-3 into bottom of the 1st.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2009, 05:53 PM
i think its ok, but he hurt his knee....he's not your typical fatass linemen...check out those guns..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ve_as9k6PvI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ve_as9k6PvI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

U think he is gonna come out?? or stay for his Sr. season?

Texasteel
11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Nobody had less exposure than Jason Smith at Baylor last year and look what happened. I think bowl season, Senior Bowl and Combine can move a guy like Fox from rounds 2-3 into bottom of the 1st.

If Fox is what I think he is, I would have no problem taking him in the 1st. However remember I said that about a center from Louisville last year and look at what happened.

MasterOfPuppets
11-17-2009, 06:21 PM
U think he is gonna come out?? or stay for his Sr. season?
STAY ? for what ? a shot at a national championship ??? :rofl:.... if they tell him he's a first rd pick he definetly comes out . especially after he just had a knee injury. he's not gonna risk having another possable carrear ender ...:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2009, 07:37 PM
STAY ? for what ? a shot at a national championship ??? :rofl:.... if they tell him he's a first rd pick he definetly comes out . especially after he just had a knee injury. he's not gonna risk having another possable carrear ender ...:noidea:

Will be interesting to see what they tell him. I think the fact the kid has a history of knee issues and is only a jr will not get him a 1st round grade. IMO, Russell Okung was gonna go anywhere from 30-45 last year and he stayed another season.........should be a top 15 pick this year.

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Will be interesting to see what they tell him. I think the fact the kid has a history of knee issues and is only a jr will not get him a 1st round grade. IMO, Russell Okung was gonna go anywhere from 30-45 last year and he stayed another season.........should be a top 15 pick this year.
his knee didn't require surgery...i think he only missed one week for the knee and 2 weeks for the turf toe...
It appears that LT Bruce Campbell's knee injury isn't as severe as initially feared. Ralph Friedgen indicated today that Campbell may not be out of the game against Wake Forest on Saturday. The MRI on Campbell's knee apparently did not show an MCL tear which would have ended Campbell's season.