PDA

View Full Version : Whats Wrong With the D?????

SteelC7
10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
why cant we stop the damn LiOnS? they really suck, and we cant stop them AT ALL!!! its the lions!!!! and with culpepper no less, were gonna have to win this game on offense, IF were gonna win, like i said in my other post, trap game

Edman
10-11-2009, 12:48 PM
It's only the 2nd Quarter, dude. And they held the Lions to FG's.

They may not be as good as last year, but they're doing enough.

Christian Snyder
10-11-2009, 01:07 PM
why cant we stop the damn LiOnS? they really suck, and we cant stop them AT ALL!!! its the lions!!!! and with culpepper no less, were gonna have to win this game on offense, IF were gonna win, like i said in my other post, trap game Settle down... We've only allowed the Lions to score 6 points.....:coffee::tt02:

SteelC7
10-11-2009, 02:09 PM
its actually the 3rd down defense thats so frustrating, i mean cmon now its the lions, not the colts

The Duke
10-11-2009, 02:22 PM
why cant we stop the damn LiOnS? they really suck, and we cant stop them AT ALL!!! its the lions!!!! and with culpepper no less, were gonna have to win this game on offense, IF were gonna win, like i said in my other post, trap game

They decided to start sucking just to piss you off

ambsteeler
10-11-2009, 02:23 PM
calm down there doing ok

steelbad@50
10-11-2009, 02:51 PM
calm down there doing ok
OK my :moon:

Steelerfreak58
10-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow this defense looks horrible without Troy in there. I am really surprised they just are not clicking without him. The Lions are moving the balls and striking on 3rd down without much problem.

ambsteeler
10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
sorry i now do agree

Edman
10-11-2009, 02:58 PM
It's Prevent Defense. It hasn't worked and will never work.

pepsyman1
10-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Can someone explain to me the concept of playing our cornerbacks 12 yards off the wide receivers when we are trying to reach the cornerback with the blitz? These receivers are nobodies but they are open on every play. How bout some man coverage.

steelbad@50
10-11-2009, 03:06 PM
It just goes to show how important Troy is to our team. Thats how good he is.

steelpride12
10-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Were 3 and 2

BlastFurnace
10-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Wow this defense looks horrible without Troy in there. I am really surprised they just are not clicking without him. The Lions are moving the balls and striking on 3rd down without much problem.

The evidence shows that are a below average defense in cruch time without him.

OneForTheToe
10-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Yep, the defense sucks, let's trade all our starters for San Diego's starters.:yawn:

Actually, I like the fact that the D made plays at the end of the game to put it away. Still, we need to fix the 3rd down D.we can't just wait for Troy.

OneForTheToe
10-11-2009, 03:15 PM
The evidence shows that are a below average defense in cruch time without him.

below average defenses don't sack the quarterback three times in a row at the end of the game. Do we have issues on third down? yes. Below average? No.

BlastFurnace
10-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Yep, the defense sucks, let's trade all our starters for San Diego's starters.:yawn:

That's not what everyone is saying. We clearly have problems with our pass defense...and it's not only on 3rd down.

Glace
10-11-2009, 03:16 PM
You know what I think the truth is?

Scheme-wise, I don't think our defense changes much regardless of whether or not Troy is in there.

Not only does Troy make great plays...insane plays sometimes.....i think there is an intimidation factor when he is in there. Without him, opposing offenses are taking more chances and they're paying off.

BlastFurnace
10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
below average defenses don't sack the quarterback three times in a row at the end of the game. Do we have issues on third down? yes. Below average? No.

No they don't...but giving up 3rd down conversions over and over again is not done by a good defense. Without Troy, we are below average on defense.

Bottom line...let's see what happens when Troy comes back. They better not rush him because we need him for the long run.

Keep in mind, they were without their best offensive player all game long. Their receivers were still getting wide open.

Vincent
10-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Yes, we're 3-2.

But how did we manage to give 335 yards to the Lions? The Lions that are decimated by injuries? How is that possible?

335 yards, yes. But to the D's credit only 13 points by them. And they came up big when it mattered. "Bend. Don't break" I guess.

Fugly, but I'll take the W. Way too damn exciting for this old ticker.:sweating::couch::alcoholic

Steel_Bus_24
10-11-2009, 03:19 PM
being outscored 42-0 in the 4th is just pretty much disgusting to look at

Hope Troy brings our fire back, but as Tomlin would say, "We'll stack this one with the rest and move on"

steelbad@50
10-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Our defense doesnt suck , but they can play much better then they are right now.

MACH1
I just hope they don't decide to make the clowns look good next week.

pepsyman1
I'm happy that coach Lebeau finally pulled out some of our aggressive blitzes on the last drive, but there is definitely a problem somewhere along the way. The Lions had 21 first downs and 61% 3rd down efficiency. We seem to be allowing a lot of yardage to underneath passes and deeper stuff over the middle. I hope they figure it out.

Edman
10-11-2009, 03:24 PM
No Troy.

Forces our D to turn it back a little and play Vanilla.

Prevent D in the 4th quarter when it doesn't work.

AllD
10-11-2009, 03:25 PM
It's playing down to your competition. A basic game plan for whatever reason. We are everybody's Super Bowl, but this game was not as close as the score indicated. Good thing we didn't let it go.

vindrow
10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I am glad that we won the game, but it should have never been that close.....it gets tiresome that the Steelers control the game in the first half and then the D just seems lost in teh 2nd half and allows a team to hang around and make it closer than it should.

AllD
10-11-2009, 03:27 PM
There was more intensity last season when the team was climbing towards the Super Bowl. Now they are having a time trying to sustain it. Offense is outplaying the defense this season.

steelbad@50
10-11-2009, 03:34 PM
There was more intensity last season when the team was climbing towards the Super Bowl. Now they are having a time trying to sustain it. Offense is outplaying the defense this season.
If all 3 phases start clicking we will be unstoppable, I can see that happening down the stretch:tt:

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2009, 03:36 PM
It's playing down to your competition. A basic game plan for whatever reason. We are everybody's Super Bowl, but this game was not as close as the score indicated. Good thing we didn't let it go.

Not sure how you can say that when Detroit was on our 21 only down by 8 with 2 minutes remaining.

AllD
10-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Their offense was ineffective most of the game scoring only 1 TD. When our D was let loose it shut them down. Most of the game our D was playing prevent and just running the clock down. Our O was carrying the game.

O Sensei
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
For one thing...we needed to RUN the ball better in the second half instead of dropping back so much. You have a back sitting around 70 yards at the half with a 5 point something average, run the f'n football, move the chains, don't take coverage sacks keep the clock moving. Pathetic. THIS was the LIONS folks, the lions.

O Sensei
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Run thereby resting the defense.

O Sensei
10-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh...Arians still sucks. Thank you.

sharkweek
10-11-2009, 03:47 PM
with our offense we need to run the score up until we have at least a 3 score lead.

GridironWarrior
10-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Is Ryan Clark ok? I saw he got hurt before my feed went out.

steel9guy
10-11-2009, 03:54 PM
2 things. We need to learn to run the ball when were trying to run the clock out. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for next week. 2nd thing is our defence is fine. They were in prevent a lot and that never works. Secondly the stepped up when the game was on the line and thirdly Troy is returning soon. I think things will be ok.

Vincent
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
and thirdly Troy is returning soon. I think things will be ok.

Might we have been 5-0? Hmmm.

I agree we'll be OK. If we start to put together 4th quarters in line with the 1st, we'll be dominant. And its a mystery why we haven't.

OneForTheToe
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
with our offense we need to run the score up until we have at least a 3 score lead.

I agree.

The problem is we got ourselves into some trouble by not executing on offense. It is easy to say run the ball more, but you can't completely forget about our passing game, which was very strong. However, if you take a sack on first down (which is still better than a pick) then you kill your running game. I dare not say it but I thought the play calling was fine. It is just when you don't execurte you put yourself in difficult downs even against bad defenses.

OneForTheToe
10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
2 things. We need to learn to run the ball when were trying to run the clock out. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for next week. 2nd thing is our defence is fine. They were in prevent a lot and that never works. Secondly the stepped up when the game was on the line and thirdly Troy is returning soon. I think things will be ok.

I'd still sit Troy next week if he is still not absolutely healthy.

Psyychoward86
10-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Don't put it all on the defense. We were a lot worse in the 2nd half. A couple of 3 and outs, and Mendenhall was becoming ineffective so we couldnt run the clock out

X-Terminator
10-11-2009, 04:24 PM

Wait a second...people were bitching last week and all season long about the Steelers going conservative late in games and run the football to run out the clock. Arians, of course, was the target of those poison darts. Now you're saying that they SHOULD do that? So which is it???

Christian Snyder
10-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I just hope they don't decide to make the clowns look good next week. That would be horrible considering they scored 6 points against the Bills today.... AND STILL WON!!!!

:toofunny::rofl:

OneForTheToe
10-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I just hope they don't decide to make the clowns look good next week.

I don't care how they make the Browns look next week as long as they hang a L on them.

stb_steeler
10-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I said it before and i'll say it again. It seems with out Troy in, the opposing team can figure out the defensive plays. With Troy in at least this brings some confusion. Hopefully this is the real reason. I guess we'll see when he gets back....

theplatypus
10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
The defense gave up 13 points and people are crying?

Christian Snyder
10-11-2009, 04:47 PM
The defense gave up 13 points and people are crying? I think they're crying because the Lions passed for over 300+ yds.:noidea::noidea:

Preacher
10-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Wait a second...people were bitching last week and all season long about the Steelers going conservative late in games and run the football to run out the clock. Arians, of course, was the target of those poison darts. Now you're saying that they SHOULD do that? So which is it???

:rofl:

You know the answer to that X-term. Come on. They should run it, unless it didn't work. Then they should have passed it.

And they should pass it, unless that didn't work. then they should have ran it.

But we won't know until after the game is played. That way, we can always be right!!!

steelreserve
10-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with the defense. I've had the Raiders and 49ers games on in the background today, and it's like watching a different sport.

Seriously, it seems like every game, the defense holds them down to less than 20 points, but the offense or special teams lets our opponent run something back for a touchdown. Or, in the case of the Bears game, the offense leaves about 20 points on the board. If we had gotten a few breaks or just managed to avoid unbelievable knife-in-the-back mistakes at the worst possible times, we'd be 5-0, and everything but the opener and maybe the Bears game wouldn't even have been close.

redst3
10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
…sooooo, just how much did Tomlin take it easy in training camp? Those 4th quarters kind of make you wonder.

You know, I understand the point has been made that a win is a win and believe me I am happy but I do have to say that the Lions really blow. They were a crippled team with an old has been at QB and yet that game went down to the wire. What the hey????

I hope the Steelers can kind of get it together and for God sakes beat the Browns.

This is troublesome.

steelwalls
10-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Its a W thats what counts, some guys on our D got theirs. Troy will be back soon, I knew we would miss him, but it appears it has affected our game planning more than I expected.

BadBradz24
10-11-2009, 07:19 PM
i was at this game and even tho we won it was truely imbarrasing....our defense looked horrible i couldnt even rub it in the faces of lions fans...even tho we won it felt like a loss....polamalu please save us!!!!!!!

stillers4me
10-11-2009, 07:21 PM
i was at this game and even tho we won it was truely imbarrasing....our defense looked horrible i couldnt even rub it in the faces of lions fans...even tho we won it felt like a loss....polamalu please save us!!!!!!!

Enjoy your loss. :coffee:

LVSteelersfan
10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Be for real. We had 7 sacks and an INT today for criminees sakes. I agree the third down stuff reminds me of the late 80s Steelers but they did the job when they had to this week. They will right the ship when Troy gets back in the fold.

rich4eagle
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM
As I stated elsewhere my view is playing soft in Q4 as a strategy is more of the issue.

I found today's game disturbing more than any other. The defense failed to hold leads in Q four in each of the first four games and allowed teams to win two of them by playing soft in Q four. We did it again today until that last series.

They played aggressive and stopped another overtime coin flip from occurring against a weak team.

Tomlin and Co better start thinking about closing games in Q4 instead of giving the opponent opportunity to win in Q4.

The aggressive pass rush the last series was so welcome. I hope they learned something and remember for the first time this year. Prevent defense prevents you from winning.......Blitzburgh and attacking to the end was a lot of winning games..........Prevent defense finds a way to lose games

Great win but still disturbing shell offense and prevent defense most of Q4. Something that belies Steeler tradition on defense:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

eafratitpm3
10-11-2009, 11:29 PM

I think people were bitching when Willie was in there tippy toeing around in the backfield until he got hammered. Mendenhall was running downhill last week and pretty much the whole first half. We came out in the 2nd half and dropped back quite a bit. When you have a back that had almost 70 yds rushing in the first half why go away from it. You had a comfortable lead why not run the ball and keep the clock moving if it's working?

X-Terminator
10-11-2009, 11:46 PM
I think people were bitching when Willie was in there tippy toeing around in the backfield until he got hammered. Mendenhall was running downhill last week and pretty much the whole first half. We came out in the 2nd half and dropped back quite a bit. When you have a back that had almost 70 yds rushing in the first half why go away from it. You had a comfortable lead why not run the ball and keep the clock moving if it's working?

I agree, of course, but did you not read the board last week with all of the people bellyaching because the Steelers decided to go conservative when they were up 28-0 on the Chargers? And that was with Mendenhall having such a great game. Now this week, the majority of the people think we should have done exactly that. I swear to God, either people have selective memory or they're just confused, to change their opinion from one week to the next. Or...dare I say it...they're just looking for something to complain about.

eafratitpm3
10-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I agree, of course, but did you not read the board last week with all of the people bellyaching because the Steelers decided to go conservative when they were up 28-0 on the Chargers? And that was with Mendenhall having such a great game. Now this week, the majority of the people think we should have done exactly that. I swear to God, either people have selective memory or they're just confused, to change their opinion from one week to the next. Or...dare I say it...they're just looking for something to complain about.

I agree people will bitch and complain about something that's just human nature and the Steeler nation for you. I think last week the real problem was the Special teams play that let SD back in the game. If not for that we could have run the ball more but as SD was getting closer we felt we needed to score more. I feel like the Steelers are this close to putting a complete game together and then watch out the rest of the NFL. We are 3-2 and I hope most can agree we haven't put together a solid performance to date. Batimore plays Minnesota next week so we should be in 2nd alone after next week. Cinci has a pretty soft schedule but I think they will trip up a game or twoo before we play them again. We are in good shape!:tt: