PDA

View Full Version : for those who watched the game

ambsteeler
10-11-2009, 03:25 PM
what realy went on did the lions play well or did the steelers play bad i like the win but i thought we would blow them out of the water i feel they will be fine and have a chance of a repeat

sharkweek
10-11-2009, 03:28 PM
defense was mostly bend but don't break, allowed 3 drives for FGs, one of them missed. The Lions really only had one offensive TD though, the other being a pick six which I missed, not sure whose fault it was but it was probably Ben's although I guess Wallace could be partially to blame.

Our offense was extremely efficient early and often. Perhaps we're too efficient, because we keep building these huge leads super fast and then we get "comfortable" because of those leads, leading to bleeding away points.

Fire Haley
10-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Steelers defense was limp on 3rd downs all game till the very end. It almost caught them.

Mendy wasn't run enough. He was gashing them.

AllD
10-11-2009, 03:36 PM
The refs also missed a bunch of holding calls. They did call two to make it look like they were watching.

Fire Haley
10-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Whining about the refs is bush league.

WR blows a TD, QB gives up a pick 6.

It shoulda been a blow-out.

ambsteeler
10-11-2009, 03:58 PM
do you think they are afraid to play aggresive with out polamalu the defense in my opinion is playing ok but definetly not up to steeler standard from the 3 games thats i have seen 2 they played what ever style defense they want to call it and it is not a very agresive type

OX1947
10-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Tomlin's 4th quarter coaching is killing this team. Mendenhall was destroying the Lions all game long. And he didn't run him hardly ever. I am tired of watching this every game. Mendenhall is a freakin stud. GIVE HIM 25 CARRIES and kill time and have Ben play off the run. Blaming Arians or Lebeau is irrelevant. Tomlin is the head coach, he needs to start running Mendenhall and killing time when you have a lead in the fourth.

Steelerfreak58
10-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Defense just isn't doing well especially defending on 3rd down and long plays.

OX1947
10-11-2009, 04:11 PM
3 things

Roethlisberger took some sacks and gave them bad conversion chances. He holds the ball to damn long.

Holmes has more drops than Sweed this year.

Woodley does not belong in coverage. He's slower than Foote was. When can see Timmons outside and Fox play more inside.

Woodley in coverage is why he is having a slow start this year. I am glad he got a couple sacks to get him back in the fold. I was commenting on that the first couple of games that Woodley was in coverage a lot this year.

Big Ben had two sacks on him today, the line collapsed on both and they happen to be towards the end. That happens.

Holmes played his best game since game 1 but Miller, Wallace and Ward really benefited from Homes getting doubled after he was catching everything in the first quarter.

My beef with these 4th quarter collapses is Tomlin is not running the ball. I do not like passing when you are up a TD. Grind it and have Ben play off the run. I am not trying to be an arm chair here, but Mendenhall was getting 5 yards almost every carry. Run it on first and second down and get to 3nd and 2 and then have Ben run a 3 yard slant or whatever.

GridironWarrior
10-11-2009, 04:12 PM
What's the word on Clark's injury? And I think Holmes wrist is still bothering him. I noticed it was taped.

Psyychoward86
10-11-2009, 04:25 PM
can't wait to get The Angry Pineapple back

stb_steeler
10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
can't wait to get The Angry Pineapple back

Every time they show Troy on the sidlines, you can see it eating at him more an more....Man i cant wait to see the flyin Hawaiian back in action.....

stillers4me
10-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Limas Sweed dropped the ball.

:stirthepot:

Preacher
10-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Sigh...

We need to run the ball more (though that is what gave us the losses).

Ben needs to not hold on to the ball (though his doing that is what single-handedly won a number of game from the offensive perspective last year).

etc. etc.

No, what REALLY happened, is that we played another NFL team. Ben had a pick... Wallace, being a rookie doesn't quite know how to break up plays yet, but Ben probably shouldnt' have thrown it.

The Defense seemed to invert things this game, with our biggest plays and blitzes coming in the last few minutes.

Our mistakes let them in the game, but our Playmakers finally stepped up and made the plays!

steelerchad
10-11-2009, 05:16 PM
This team just can't seem to get off the field on 3rd down. Last year, when we got a team to 3rd down we attacked whether it was short yardage or long.
This year we seem to be dropping back safe and it's killing us. Watching QB's run and throw for 1st downs is making me sick. Still no running backs can run the ball on us.

We'll see if that holds true when AP comes to town in 2 weeks.

mesaSteeler
10-11-2009, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=OX1947;678246]Tomlin's 4th quarter coaching is killing this team. Mendenhall was destroying the Lions all game long. And he didn't run him hardly ever. I am tired of watching this every game. Mendenhall is a freakin stud. GIVE HIM 25 CARRIES and kill time and have Ben play off the run. Blaming Arians or Lebeau is irrelevant. Tomlin is the head coach, he needs to start running Mendenhall and killing time when you have a lead in the fourth.[/[QUOTE]

"he needs to start running Mendenhall and killing time when you have a lead in the fourth."

I could not agree more. Run the ball to chew up the clock. You are a wise and dicerning individual. I was listening to the feed from Bill Hillgrove and company and they also made comments that we were passing to much again.

Preacher
10-11-2009, 05:25 PM
[quote=OX1947;678246]Tomlin's 4th quarter coaching is killing this team. Mendenhall was destroying the Lions all game long. And he didn't run him hardly ever. I am tired of watching this every game. Mendenhall is a freakin stud. GIVE HIM 25 CARRIES and kill time and have Ben play off the run. Blaming Arians or Lebeau is irrelevant. Tomlin is the head coach, he needs to start running Mendenhall and killing time when you have a lead in the fourth.[/[quote]

"he needs to start running Mendenhall and killing time when you have a lead in the fourth."

I could not agree more. Run the ball to chew up the clock. You are a wise and dicerning individual. I was listening to the feed from Bill Hillgrove and company and they also made comments that we were passing to much again.

Problem is... everytime we try doing that, we end up losing the game, going back to the 2007 season.

No, our power game now is the pass. We have the best TE in the game IMO, One of the two best possession receivers, and the best 4th quarter QB in the game. We need to throw the ball as WELL as run. Keep the foot on the pedal and put the ball in the endzone.

We simply are not a power run team anymore.

Thank goodness for balance.

steel striker
10-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Well we won the game which was good but, what concerns me is that our defense is struggling in the 4th quater getting teams off the field. It seems like without Troy the whole middle of the field is open. I hope Troy comes back very soon. I agree we should have grinded it out more on the ground but, if Ben hits another deep pass it is not even an issue.

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Problem is... everytime we try doing that, we end up losing the game, going back to the 2007 season.

No, our power game now is the pass. We have the best TE in the game IMO, One of the two best possession receivers, and the best 4th quarter QB in the game. We need to throw the ball as WELL as run. Keep the foot on the pedal and put the ball in the endzone.

We simply are not a power run team anymore.

Thank goodness for balance.

:iagree: We have to keep mixing it up and not get predictable. We don't have the type of running game where we can just line up and say "We're gonna run the ball. Try to stop us."

SteelC7
10-11-2009, 05:44 PM
2 TDs missed out on: bens spectacular pick 6, and wallaces imitation of limas sweed, so we should have wonat least 35-20 probably 42-20

Preacher
10-11-2009, 05:48 PM
:iagree: We have to keep mixing it up and not get predictable. We don't have the type of running game where we can just line up and say "We're gonna run the ball. Try to stop us."

Exactly.

I really want us to throw out of the I formation a bit more. That way, we make people question the I formation on first down late in the game, not knowing if we are going to run or pass.

Preacher
10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
2 TDs missed out on: bens spectacular pick 6, and wallaces imitation of limas sweed, so we should have wonat least 35-20 probably 42-20

well, that INT was partially Wallace's fault... I think Ward may have been able to fight for the ball, or at least break it up.

Don't get me wrong. Ben shouldn't have passed it. But I do think it was a rookie mistake that also helped it.

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Exactly.

I really want us to throw out of the I formation a bit more. That way, we make people question the I formation on first down late in the game, not knowing if we are going to run or pass.

Yes, I'd like to see that. I don't really like seeing empty backfield on 1st or 2nd down. Nothing like telling the defense that you're going to pass.

Preacher
10-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes, I'd like to see that. I don't really like seeing empty backfield on 1st or 2nd down. Nothing like telling the defense that you're going to pass.

Honestly, with our receivers and TE, I don't mind it at all....

especially since we have WR's that will go and motion and basically become a RB.

Watch, I bet that gets added in quite a bit more down the road. That seems to be Arians MO.

Build throughout the year. It is quite a strategic way of looking at the game. Even suffering a loss here and there for wins down the road... least thats what it sure looks like.

BozMan
10-11-2009, 06:55 PM
The D seemed to have a lot of problems on 3rd and long. 1st and 2nd downs were normally lights out. Then we give up a big play on 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority (or large plurality) of Detroit's yards were gained on 3rd down.

Sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off letting opposing offenses have 3rd and short situations, daring them to run, but only to get stuffed by Hampton & Co.

Yeah, Harrison was held without penalty on some of Detroit's 3rd and long conversions. But there were still plenty of opportunities for the D to get off the field.

The Duke
10-11-2009, 06:55 PM

they passed seven times after halftime :huh:

I love the balance this offense has, it's what they have needed for years. We can thank Arians for that

FacemeIke
10-12-2009, 09:34 AM
There is a lot of blame being thrown around after a W that we led by 2 scores most of the game! I thought we played fine! Detroit actually had a really good game plan against us on offense. They used our aggressive defense against us and threw a lot of screen passes. They got too greedy on thier last drive and started looking down field and thats when we got to Culpepper.

Our offese did slow down and grind it out in the 4th quarter. Even when we threw the ball they were quick slants and screens to make sure that the clock kept running. If anything we got out of rhythym by being too concerned with the clock, but thats part of the game when you're trying to hold onto a lead

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Detroit has professional players getting paid to play too. They competed and that Detroit O line got Culpepper some time to complete 3rd downs.

Did the Steelers play suffocating defense like last year?? Not consistently. I think its a combination of the Steelers still not playing complete games and the Lions being better than in the past.

As for the lack of running game to close things out. Yeah, even BA said he got greedy a bit and was trying to hit the KO punch. Take the W and move on to improving vs the Browns.

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
well, that INT was partially Wallace's fault... I think Ward may have been able to fight for the ball, or at least break it up.

Don't get me wrong. Ben shouldn't have passed it. But I do think it was a rookie mistake that also helped it.i put that squarely on ben. he had the slowest wind up and delivery i have seen in a long time on what was supposed to be a quick out. the cb read his eyes the whole way and hit the spot in full stride.

it was a great play by the defender. i think ben took for granted it was going to be wide open.

Edman
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I think it comes down to this.

We were running a great balanced offense until the 4th, where once again, we lose that balance and run too much or get too greedy. Arians himself admitted it.

Detroit is not an awful team anymore. Now they are simply competant. They gave Minnesota a game not too long ago.

Dino 6 Rings
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Here is my break down of the game.

Steelers got a lead. Had a good game plan. Got a little greedy with the passing, it cost them on a couple drives late in the game. They got away from the "balance" and left the running game which hurt our TOP with 3 and outs and kept our defense (which was struggling on 3rd down against...a mobile QB?) on the field when they shouldn't have been.

Our Punt Return team wasn't great. Our Special teams were ok. Our Secondary was suspect because still we have no one to cover the TightEnd or Fullback out of the Back Field apparently, and Ratliff couldn't cover ME in the slot and I have a bad knee and am in my mid 30s.

Also, not for nothing but Mendenhall started to look a little winded later in the game, maybe it was just me. We used a little of the fullback this week, but mostly we passed a lot and Ben looked very good except when he...wait for it...Held the Ball To Long...or...tried to force one that wasn't there.

That's it.

Up Next...We Must KILL the Browns!

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 12:31 PM
i havent really noticed, but is james harrison playing as much on ST's? i wanna day he isnt. also we pretty much traded out anthony madison for favor of s. logan.

while that helps our returns, it hurts the coverage. it would probably be a bit worse had we not brought c. davis back.

Stainless Steel
10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I was at the game. The two sacks on Ben happened very quickly and it wasn't that Ben held on to the ball IMHO. The INT was a great play by the Lions Defender. We only allowed one TD toward the end, but the D came up with that win by sacking Cullpepper 3 times in a row. THAT is what was missing before. We were not pressing the QB enough and they gave up a lot of yardage against them.