PDA

View Full Version : Mendi "Ball Hall" is the Man........

SteelerEmpire
10-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I didn't know he had the kind of speed he demonstrated on that outside TD run...which demonstrates that he's a speed back....

He's 225 lbs which means he has the "Power Back " characteristics also....

He sees holes to run through with "hawk-type" eyes.....

My question is.... WHY is Coach so insistent on keeping Parker as the primary carrier ??
The only reason I can think of is that he wants to see if Mendi is consistent game after game...

stillers4me
10-11-2009, 05:31 PM
"Mend and Haul"

Psyychoward86
10-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Mendenhall died down in the 2nd half today. And yes, i love his speed, vision, and the way he finishes runs, especially the 9-10 yard gain where he broke broke a leg tackle, spun out of another tackle, and rumbled through defenders. But it's also scary the way he carries the ball. we cant afford a lot of turnovers, we're already tied for 4th i think in giveaways...

43Hitman
10-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Rushard Makemfall

Psyychoward86
10-11-2009, 05:44 PM
lol, we fail at nicknames.

Preacher
10-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Funny how we all want to lay the "powerback" title on him. However, He doesn't run through tackles. . . unless he has been at full speed for about 7 yards...and Ward does that.

I was more impressed with his 70something yards today then his 160 last week.

But to think that he has completely taken over for Parker is a joke.

I look forward to seeing parker run with a Offense that is creating holes. He hasn't seen that since 2007.

Mendy needs to be our future, just for age and contract reasons if nothing else. But let's be real about our assessments.

Psyychoward86
10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Funny how we all want to lay the "powerback" title on him. However, He doesn't run through tackles. . . unless he has been at full speed for about 7 yards...and Ward does that.

I was more impressed with his 70something yards today then his 160 last week.

But to think that he has completely taken over for Parker is a joke.

I look forward to seeing parker run with a Offense that is creating holes. He hasn't seen that since 2007.

Mendy needs to be our future, just for age and contract reasons if nothing else. But let's be real about our assessments.

you're right, but at the beginning of the game, i did see an interesting statistic: Mendenhall had the most average yards after contact than any other runningback in the league. But this is before the Lions game of course.

Sharkissle29
10-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Mendenhall died down in the 2nd half today. And yes, i love his speed, vision, and the way he finishes runs, especially the 9-10 yard gain where he broke broke a leg tackle, spun out of another tackle, and rumbled through defenders. But it's also scary the way he carries the ball. we cant afford a lot of turnovers, we're already tied for 4th i think in giveaways...

they just stopped giving him the ball which i thought was odd

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
they just stopped giving him the ball which i thought was odd

:iagree: He had that one series where he got stuffed twice and then didn't really touch the ball afterward.

Preacher
10-11-2009, 06:30 PM
you're right, but at the beginning of the game, i did see an interesting statistic: Mendenhall had the most average yards after contact than any other runningback in the league. But this is before the Lions game of course.
Yes, but he was a yard beyond the LOS and breaking an arm tackle. Those weren't tackles being ran through a la Bettis.

I actually thought he ran with more power today than last week.

onefortheotherhand
10-11-2009, 06:36 PM
i think he should be called whirlwind mendin

coz he was spinning like nobodys business today

SteelC7
10-11-2009, 06:48 PM
i think his game was better too, he didnt get the same o line play he got last week, he had to do more with less, he didnt leave many yards on the field today

SteelTalons
10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Rushard Makemfall

THIS! ^^^^

austinfrench76
10-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I didn't look like he died down but rather that he wasn't getting the ball.

Psyychoward86
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Yes, but he was a yard beyond the LOS and breaking an arm tackle. Those weren't tackles being ran through a la Bettis.

I actually thought he ran with more power today than last week.

gotta agree with that. Keep lowering that shoulder :tt:

tmacsteelerfan
10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I knew he had speed from when we drafted him, and watched his highlights from Illinois.

ricksteelers55
10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I think he's moving in the right direction but I dont think that 2 games against the banged up Chargers and Lions D make it a career.Like someone pointed out he needs to be careful with the way he carries the football and remember that when he carries the football,he's also carrying the whole organisation on his shoulders.I think he should also be lowering his shoulders more often(he runs too tall).

But he's still young and I'm excited about what he can bring to this team in the near future.

As far as the backfield ''battle'' I dont think there is any kind of battle.Parker brings something,Moore brings something and Mendy brings something we just need to use them all properly and we'll be fine.

We'll see in 2 weeks what Mendy is worth exactly when we play a very good run D

steelreserve
10-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Funny how every time Parker has a bad game, it's the line's fault and nobody could gain any yards, not even Superman, the Incredible Hulk and Pantera combined. Then when Mendenhall has a good game, it's all because of the line and Parker could've done it too. I don't look forward to seeing Parker run behind a line that can create holes; I look forward to seeing Mendenhall run behind a line that can create holes and Parker not run behind any line at all, unless it's on another team. He's done, useless and done as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I don't think people are jumping to label Mendenhall a "power back," so much as "finally someone who at least isn't piss-poor at running with power." More like a "normal back," which we haven't had for a while.

I know, "here we go again, :coffee:" etc., etc. etc.

GridironWarrior
10-11-2009, 08:54 PM
He seems to hit the whole with more decisively than Parker. I can't recall seeing him dancing in the backfield. And for the most part he falls forwards.

Godfather
10-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I hope we can get Parker healthy the rest of the season and use all three backs. We'd have the opposing defense sucking wind while we keep rotating fresh legs into the game.

Psyychoward86
10-11-2009, 10:29 PM
He seems to hit the whole with more decisively than Parker. I can't recall seeing him dancing in the backfield. And for the most part he falls forwards.

He dances around quite a bit tbh. Mostly with his crazy spin move which isnt going to work so well against better defenses

Sharkissle29
10-11-2009, 10:47 PM
He dances around quite a bit tbh. Mostly with his crazy spin move which isnt going to work so well against better defenses

i disagree

fansince'76
10-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Funny how we all want to lay the "powerback" title on him.

What's more funny is how a lot of people were using the "B" word to describe him about 2-3 weeks ago when Tomlin sat him for a game. :coffee:

Galax Steeler
10-12-2009, 04:42 AM
What's more funny is how a lot of people were using the "B" word to describe him about 2-3 weeks ago when Tomlin sat him for a game. :coffee:

There was alot of people who said that. He just needs time and carries to get where he needs to be. These last two games he has been a getting that and he will only get better as time goes on.

steeltheone
10-12-2009, 05:38 AM
All this is based on games against the chargers and lions d.......I wanna see him run against a top 20 rushing d before i'm sold...I do like what i've seen so far....Go Steelers

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Mendenhall ran something like a 4.45 at the combine, he is a compact and powerfully built 225lb kid that Arians compared to Eggerin James when he was drafted.

IMO, Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart were the best NFL type RB's in their draft year, followed by Matt Forte, Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Chris Johnson and Tashard Choice.

All along it was likely that Mendenhall would be the feature RB next season after FWP leaves in free agency. I'm just enjoying the fact that he is getting a chance to show that he can handle the job.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Probably the same people that were calling Timmons a bust his rookie season, the same that will soon question Ziggy Hood, Kraig Urbik and Keenan Lewis later this season. :doh:

Dino 6 Rings
10-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Probably the same people that were calling Timmons a bust his rookie season, the same that will soon question Ziggy Hood, Kraig Urbik and Keenan Lewis later this season. :doh:

You forgot Sweed and not that Wallace has a sure TD drop maybe we should put him on that Bust list as well. Just saying.

Steely McSmash
10-12-2009, 01:04 PM

I saw a little dance off of left tackle yesterday. There was nothing there and instead of sticking his nose into a seam, he almost stopped then nudged into the line for little to no gain.

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Interesting thing is that this week, I saw little-to-no I-formation... They must have seen something else in the Detroit Defense that called for NO I-FORMATION this week...

That is why Bettis hit the holes so well for 2-4 yards when needed. They did the Power I and let the defense know that they were coming. Lined them up let the front man hit the line first and BOOM...in would go Bettis with his 250 pound (on a lean day) frame...Holes will open up with 500# of combined meat hitting it!

Just sayin...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

FSUBoo
10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
lol, we fail at nicknames.

We could always say our offense is "Rmend and dangerous when he's in the game lol."

(Not sure if it's understandable but's a play on words of armed lol)

SteelMember
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I saw a little dance off of left tackle yesterday. There was nothing there and instead of sticking his nose into a seam, he almost stopped then nudged into the line for little to no gain.

So, one time then? :coffee:

Kvnfaber
10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Mendi "Ball Hall"......

Really?

:rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 03:45 PM
You forgot Sweed and not that Wallace has a sure TD drop maybe we should put him on that Bust list as well. Just saying.

Sorry, my bad.

Just to clarify I'll add Sweed, Frank Summers, Tony Hills to the bust list. With Spaeth on the "waste of a pick" list and Wallace as a possible bust for the dropped TD, kicked ball and INT. :banging:

Man, I cant wait until we lose again and that sky is falling cat comes out again. :couch:

OneForTheToe
10-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Sorry, my bad.

Just to clarify I'll add Sweed, Frank Summers, Tony Hills to the bust list. With Spaeth on the "waste of a pick" list and Wallace as a possible bust for the dropped TD, kicked ball and INT. :banging:

Man, I cant wait until we lose again and that sky is falling cat comes out again. :couch:

Don't forget Ben could still be a bust since holds the ball too long because he can't read defenses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Don't forget Ben could still be a bust since holds the ball too long because he can't read defenses.

No, Ben is beyond blame at all times. But, I still love the fans blaming Santonio for dropping passes in the loss against Chicago. :chuckle: I seem to remember him making some clutch catches now and then I think.

Nadroj 20
10-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Sorry, my bad.

Wallace drops one pass that may have went for a TD and he is already a possible bust? Im not sure i agree....he did catch a TD you know

And i do not like kicking the ball after the drop but he showed more emotion about knowing he screwed up then Sweed ever has....wallace wil be fine

OneForTheToe
10-12-2009, 10:02 PM
No, Ben is beyond blame at all times. But, I still love the fans blaming Santonio for dropping passes in the loss against Chicago. :chuckle: I seem to remember him making some clutch catches now and then I think.

IDK, I seem to remember a post about Ben's "apparent" inability to read defenses just this year. Never underestimate the band-wagoner's ability to find new scapegoats.

ricksteelers55
10-12-2009, 10:33 PM
IDK, I seem to remember a post about Ben's "apparent" inability to read defenses just this year. Never underestimate the band-wagoner's ability to find new scapegoats.

I have my own scapegoat.No matter what happen it is Paul Ernster's fault

devilsdancefloor
10-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Wallace drops one pass that may have went for a TD and he is already a possible bust? Im not sure i agree....he did catch a TD you know

And i do not like kicking the ball after the drop but he showed more emotion about knowing he screwed up then Sweed ever has....wallace wil be fine

Let me help the below quote ... http://i37.tinypic.com/2nr23ax.jpg

Sorry, my bad.

Nadroj 20
10-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Let me help the below quote ... http://i37.tinypic.com/2nr23ax.jpg

Sorry i didnt realize it was sarcasm...at least i didnt agree with him then. haha