PDA

View Full Version : Parker as a WR...think about it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2006, 08:29 PM
lots of teams have used their RB in a WR role at times to confuse the defense and open up more options in the passing game..

Imagine if Wiz and company would use Willie in a WR role !! He would blow past everyone and if he could get in the open field he'd be gone.. wouldnt work well in traffic becuz he's on the small side, but running fly patterns or a skinny post.. he could be awesome!

figg
01-20-2006, 08:31 PM
lots of teams have used their RB in a WR role at times to confuse the defense and open up more options in the passing game..

Imagine if Wiz and company would use Willie in a WR role !! He would blow past everyone and if he could get in the open field he'd be gone.. wouldnt work well in traffic becuz he's on the small side, but running fly patterns or a skinny post.. he could be awesome!

He doesnt have good hands. I wouldnt mind seeing the Steelers run a empty set though with him going in motion.

SteelR1
01-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Interesting thought!?!?!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah I mean he's not gonna break any records for receptions or anything, but if you're a safety and you see him out in a pattern, you better get your track shoes on !

Suitanim
01-20-2006, 08:36 PM
The knock on him last year was that he couldn't block, so he spent all last offseason training and has remedied that...why not? If he works at his recieving skills, it's an added dimension to the offense.

tony hipchest
01-20-2006, 08:45 PM
amidst all the steelers media coverage this week, willie has been awefully quiet.

the calm before the storm????

i bet willie can and wants to do anything the coaching staff wants of him. right now he is humble and trying not to step on anyones toes but you know he is willing to do anything to earn the type of money jerome or duce are. he wants to be a mainstay in the nfl and i bet you anything hes got his sights set on l.t. (not that that will ever happen but i think willie has the determiniation to try and achieve greatness) just look what hes done and how far he has come along to this point.

24seven
01-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Willies been doubted all year long.. He catches every screen pass thrown to him.. Granted it's only 5 - 10 yards it's no different than a 40 yard pass..(the pressure is still there) I have confidence that he can catch it just fine.. The problem I see is Ben getting it down to him.. It seems like Bens throws over 40-50 yards are always way underthrown and the receiver must come back to get the ball.. WE've gotten lucky on them catching them though so no complaints but he would have to get it off early to lead such a fast sprinter as Parker..

augustashark
01-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Wr screen passes would be ok. I even think he could handle post and 9 patterns. I think this would throw Denver off there game.....No way are they gameplanning for something like that.....BRC for O-cord!

desertsteel
01-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Willies been doubted all year long.. He catches every screen pass thrown to him.. Granted it's only 5 - 10 yards it's no different than a 40 yard pass..(the pressure is still there) I have confidence that he can catch it just fine.. The problem I see is Ben getting it down to him.. It seems like Bens throws over 40-50 yards are always way underthrown and the receiver must come back to get the ball.. WE've gotten lucky on them catching them though so no complaints but he would have to get it off early to lead such a fast sprinter as Parker..
If you're saying Ben's got an arm problem, you're way off. I watched him play during 50 mph winds in College and he was throwing missle rockets. He's got the arm, there's more than one reason for an underthrow (e.g., pocket collapsing).

drizze99
01-21-2006, 01:11 PM
It's not that he dosen't have hands per se, he just wasn't patient last season. He always tried running without the ball. Fast Willie in motion and lining up in the slot would throw Denver for a loop. Why? Because they are a blitz heavy D and now they have something to really think about that could burn them. The mismatch would totally be in our favor because a LB would most likely be assigned to him. Is there a LB in the LEAGUE that could hang with Willie? NO!! IMO, using Willie as a WR would really be effective in so many ways.

Sharkissle29
01-21-2006, 01:11 PM
i dunno if the steelers would be ready to bust some of this stuff out for a critical game. this experiment would have never been tested before and might be risky using it now...

drizze99
01-21-2006, 01:24 PM
i dunno if the steelers would be ready to bust some of this stuff out for a critical game. this experiment would have never been tested before and might be risky using it now...

Was that play used to put the nail in the coffin in the Bengals game tested? Thay play was a helluva lot more risk than moving Willie into the slot.

AvoidLLoyd95
01-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Willie needs to be used in the screen play. The rushing Denver defense will run by him and he should get 8-25 yards off of the play. I say they use it three or four times tomorrow.

lotas
01-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah I love seeing Willie run the screen play, it always seems to go for around ten yards+ especially when he has a few blockers out there that he just smokes right through.

Suitanim
01-21-2006, 05:52 PM
In all fairness, after Ben came back and injured the thumb, 40 yards WAS as far as he could throw...his hand has gotten stronger since.