PDA

View Full Version : Coming to the Burgh

steelerzfannforever
10-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Im coming to Pittsburgh for the game next weekend and I was looking for suggestions for things to do on Saturday. I have been to the Burgh before, but I didnt really get the chance to check things out other than going to the game. Can anyone give me suggestions. Im curious about the Strip District and Southside and anything else of interest. Suggestions Please!!!!:helmet:

X-Terminator
10-11-2009, 07:08 PM
The Strip is great if you're looking for shopping bargains from street vendors and some good restaurants, like Lidia's. It's also home to the original Primanti Bros. on 19th and Smallman. There are also a number of clubs there if you're looking for nightlife.

The South Side is basically bar and club central, from Carson and 10th all the way down to the South Side Works. It's THE place to go in town for nightlife. Some great places there are Mario's, Carson St. Saloon, Fat Head's, Nakama Japanese restaurant, The Hot Metal Grille in the South Side Works...among many others. I tend to avoid it because it's where every college student in town goes to hang out, and since I work around them every day, I'd rather NOT party with them, thank you very much.

Hope this helps!

Preacher
10-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Im coming to Pittsburgh for the game next weekend and I was looking for suggestions for things to do on Saturday. I have been to the Burgh before, but I didnt really get the chance to check things out other than going to the game. Can anyone give me suggestions. Im curious about the Strip District and Southside and anything else of interest. Suggestions Please!!!!:helmet:

Spend Saturday morning in the strip district. It is an experience. Some would say to go eat at Primanti brothers. It is pretty dang good. But I was especially impressed with Peppy's. REAL good food.

Spend time walking along hte sidewalks and just taking in the auro.

If you like history, there is a history museum there that is GREAT. You'll get history from the 1700's until today. It also has a great section on Pittsburgh Sports history.

Bettis' grill is pretty good. Have dinner there.

Definitely ride the incline. It is a beautiful view. You can walk up and down the street at the top and just see an unbelievable view.

X-Terminator
10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Spend Saturday morning in the strip district. It is an experience. Some would say to go eat at Primanti brothers. It is pretty dang good. But I was especially impressed with Peppy's. REAL good food.

Spend time walking along hte sidewalks and just taking in the auro.

If you like history, there is a history museum there that is GREAT. You'll get history from the 1700's until today. It also has a great section on Pittsburgh Sports history.

Bettis' grill is pretty good. Have dinner there.

Definitely ride the incline. It is a beautiful view. You can walk up and down the street at the top and just see an unbelievable view.

Haven't eaten at Peppy's in an AGE...they do have very good food, even if it is loaded down with a million calories LOL!

And would you believe I've lived here all my life, and have never rode the Inclines?

sackmaster56
10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know if there is a Steelers Polka band that plays anywhere Saturday

Jackal
10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
X-Terminator and the others had some great suggestions, and I'd also suggest grabbing some beers and/or dinner at Hofbrauhaus at the South Side Works. Great food, good beer, and an overall awesome experience.

Pamela's is also a solid place for breakfast. Their pancakes are so legendary Obama had the owners to the White House to make them.

There's also the Warhol Museum on the North Side, the Science Center, and the Cultural District. There's a lot of things to do in a little area...all within walking distance of Heinz Field.

Preacher
10-11-2009, 11:35 PM
X-Terminator and the others had some great suggestions, and I'd also suggest grabbing some beers and/or dinner at Hofbrauhaus at the South Side Works. Great food, good beer, and an overall awesome experience.

Pamela's is also a solid place for breakfast. Their pancakes are so legendary Obama had the owners to the White House to make them.

There's also the Warhol Museum on the North Side, the Science Center, and the Cultural District. There's a lot of things to do in a little area...all within walking distance of Heinz Field.

Pamela's? What and where? My wife LOVES a good breakfast. Where do we go for that?

X-Terminator
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Pamela's? What and where? My wife LOVES a good breakfast. Where do we go for that?

Pamela's Diner, Forbes Ave. in Oakland, near the U of Pitt. I never suggest it because I figure most people who visit don't want to venture too far away from town. But the breakfasts there are fabulous. They were also one of the businesses that had their windows broken by idiots during a G20 march.

Big7BenHOF
10-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Make sure to go down to the Strip District!!! This year was my third year going to Pittsburgh, and it was the first time I went down there (I know, I know...). It's great for shopping deals. I bought like...six shirts for around 50 dollars. It's also just fun to go down there in the morning before the game and see all the Steelers fans. I also always like going to Station Square. It's always quiet, and Hometowne Sports is a great store.

steelerzfannforever
10-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Some great suggestions....Im sure I will have a busy Saturday. Thanks to all!

Preacher
10-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Make sure to go down to the Strip District!!! This year was my third year going to Pittsburgh, and it was the first time I went down there (I know, I know...). It's great for shopping deals. I bought like...six shirts for around 50 dollars. It's also just fun to go down there in the morning before the game and see all the Steelers fans. I also always like going to Station Square. It's always quiet, and Hometowne Sports is a great store.

My first time in the strip district was the Saturday before Superbowl XL. WOW.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Pamela's Diner, Forbes Ave. in Oakland, near the U of Pitt. I never suggest it because I figure most people who visit don't want to venture too far away from town. But the breakfasts there are fabulous. They were also one of the businesses that had their windows broken by idiots during a G20 march.

Ahh. This year we have a car, and want to see more "pittsburgh stuff" than just downtown.

So I may be taking the wife there!

Preacher
10-12-2009, 02:18 AM
This year we went and decided to Taxi it every where. We had a great time, no parking worries, traffic worries or direction worries. It's about 10 bucks to go way across town. We ran al over and spent about 60 bucks, well worth it. Make sure you get Classy Cabs, they are the cleanest in town, we tried many and had a few that were very nasty.

We normally stay at a hotel downtown that provides shuttle service. But this year, a parking pass came with the game tickets, so we decided to save a LOT of money and get a hotel a few miles outside of downtown. Thus, the car.

Since we have already done the downtown thing, we probably won't be spending a lot of time there, except for the strip on Saturday morning.