PDA

View Full Version : Just like last year. . .

Preacher
10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
This is just like last year, only reversed. We have one side of the ball that is absolutely coming alive. It is becoming one of the best in the league. This year, it is the offense. I know our run game isn't as good as the Vikings. Our pass game isn't as good as the Colts. But together, we may have one of the most potent offenses in the league.

Our defense is struggling. Remember last year, when our defense kept us in the game, and then the offense in just the last couple minutes would come back and win it?

3 games now, our defense played ok in the second, poor in the 4th quarter, and then just good enough to allow the game to be won in the end.

So I say, don't worry. Just like last year when we got into the playoffs, the offense came alive....so this year the defense WILL come alive.

It sure is funny how the roles are reversed....

Nadroj 20
10-11-2009, 08:41 PM
This is just like last year, only reversed. We have one side of the ball that is absolutely coming alive. It is becoming one of the best in the league. This year, it is the offense. I know our run game isn't as good as the Vikings. Our pass game isn't as good as the Colts. But together, we may have one of the most potent offenses in the league.

Our defense is struggling. Remember last year, when our defense kept us in the game, and then the offense in just the last couple minutes would come back and win it?

3 games now, our defense played ok in the second, poor in the 4th quarter, and then just good enough to allow the game to be won in the end.

So I say, don't worry. Just like last year when we got into the playoffs, the offense came alive....so this year the defense WILL come alive.

I think the defense is missing a step because #43 isnt running around out there....I know polamalu isnt the whole defense but once he comes back i think we'll be fine....its the secondary that is playing the worse anyway....i cant complain about 7 sacks and LOVE the 3 in a row when they needed it most....thats stepping up and they always do so when needed.....Im not worried at all

GridironWarrior
10-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah it was great to see the sacks and int today. I do hope they draft a safety next year so we can have a good back up for Troy. Carter is good in run support though.

tony hipchest
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
troy polamalu...

he matters.

it would also help when our rb has 60 yds rushing in the first quarter, he actually get the ball enough to gain more than 17 yds in the next 3.

however ben is sharp as a tack. i dont mind putting the game in his hands in any situation.

skinart82
10-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah it was great to see the sacks and int today. I do hope they draft a safety next year so we can have a good back up for Troy. Carter is good in run support though.

Eric Berry from UT, I was just talkin about how badass that Would be!!

GridironWarrior
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM

I'll have to look that kid up, I've heard a lot of good things about him.
I'm thinking Ben is gonna crack 30 TD again this year like in 07.

Godfather
10-11-2009, 09:14 PM

We need a safety in the draft because Clark and Polamalu are on the wrong side of 30 and we have to think about the future. We also need a DE since Keisel and Smith aren't getting any younger.

Psyychoward86
10-11-2009, 09:18 PM
it is funny how roles are reversed. I never would've expected our offense to be outplaying our defense

JEFF4i
10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
This is a wonderfully good thing.

Why?

When our defense get Troy back, and finds its total rhythm, we'll be unstoppable.

SteelerFanInStl
10-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Yea, it's pretty strange how things are reversed from last year. I think that the defense will eventually come around but I'm not sure when. Hopefully it'll be when Troy comes back. It was certainly good to see the 7 sacks today though.

stb_steeler
10-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Maybe Big Snack is runnning out of energy early in the game...Get da man some more twinkies....

mesaSteeler
10-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I must agree it's very surprising. I would have never expected our D to establish a trend of not being able to play well in Q4.

Since this keeps happening either the rest of the NFL has seen something that allows them to score or our D keeps making the same mistakes.

Could it be the age of the D-Line? Are they running out of gas? I don't know the answer but I hope they figure it out before the Viking game.

SteelersGirlTN7
10-11-2009, 10:41 PM

Ohh yeah! I watch Eric Berry every week... I would love to have him in the black and gold!!

scsteeler
10-11-2009, 11:11 PM

I do think the defense will get better as the season goes along and I will take a win anyway we can get it and if that means the offense outscoring other teams I will take it every week.

sharkweek
10-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I'll have to look that kid up, I've heard a lot of good things about him.
I'm thinking Ben is gonna crack 30 TD again this year like in 07.

he's also on pace to break 4K, maybe even 4.5K yards (he's actually on a pretty steady pace for ~4700, but I expect a drop off when the weather becomes less favorable) which would crush his previous best

it is funny how roles are reversed. I never would've expected our offense to be outplaying our defense

we've invested quite a bit into it when you think about it...Ben, Heath, Holmes, Mendenhall (even Sweed and Wallace)...so I can't say I'm really all that surprised, they're just now finally playing to their true potential on a consistent basis, and the best part is that I think they can get even better...

I must agree it's very surprising. I would have never expected our D to establish a trend of not being able to play well in Q4.

Since this keeps happening either the rest of the NFL has seen something that allows them to score or our D keeps making the same mistakes.

Could it be the age of the D-Line? Are they running out of gas? I don't know the answer but I hope they figure it out before the Viking game.

I have a theory...

When you think about it, we've been winning in every game at some point in the 4th Q. Most of those games we jumped out to semi-comfy leads and/or had relatively dominating play even if the score didn't reflect it. So basically what then happens is the other team is losing and thus resort to riskier play style at the end of the game as they obviously have nothing to lose because hey, they're already losing.

The bad part is that we're missing Troy who is our safety in more ways than one - his versatility and skill allows our D to counter with equally risky attacks on a more consistent basis as he can make up for the risk to help mitigate that balance of risk/reward in favor of reward.

LVSteelersfan
10-12-2009, 12:43 AM
It's that darn prevent defense they play with no tight coverage on the WRs. It is easy to get 10 yards or more at a pop when you play that way. I keep seeing plays, especially on third down, that Troy's speed would break it up for sure. When he gets back, the ship will be righted and all will be well with the world. No one is scared of Tyrone Carter. They game plan for Troy.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 01:08 AM
It's that darn prevent defense they play with no tight coverage on the WRs. It is easy to get 10 yards or more at a pop when you play that way. I keep seeing plays, especially on third down, that Troy's speed would break it up for sure. When he gets back, the ship will be righted and all will be well with the world. No one is scared of Tyrone Carter. They game plan for Troy.

Well, playing that far off is part of the scheming, as the CB's have run responsibility and aren't going to get locked up. It has nothing to do with the cover-2 D.

There are a few things that troy would break up. However, people are talking about him like he is the second coming of Jesus. If our D is THAT dependent on 1 man, then this team is in serious trouble.

No, I think it is a matter of every team taking a LOT of looks at our tape wondering if they can steal from our schemes.... and that also helps them know our schemes.

stb_steeler
10-12-2009, 01:10 AM

Ben stated today in his post game interview that they need to get back into clock management by running the ball when they have a lead, thus allowing the D to sit out more. It seems to me that 4th quarter 3 and outs dont let them run the ball.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Ben stated today in his post game interview that they need to get back into clock management by running the ball when they have a lead, thus allowing the D to sit out more. It seems to me that 4th quarter 3 and outs dont let them run the ball.

As I stated in another thread. . . . I think the problem is that we abandon what was working in the first 3 quarters.

I don't mind 5 wide, matter fact, I think it is a great idea... but so is the I formation.

Edman
10-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Well, the Steelers will just have to do it like last year. Hang on for the win and get a few blowouts here and there.

The 2009 Steelers seem to be a team that has appeared from the Twilight Zone. The roles have definately reversed.

-Offense is carrying the Defense.
-Offense couldn't move the ball a lick of crap against anyone, now it seems to move and score at will.
-Offensive Line used to suck, now Ben is barely getting touched.
-Defense used to stop anyone, now we'll be lucky to hold an opponent under 300 yards.

And very little has changed with the personnel from 2008 to 2009. It's quite jarring actually. I guess we've all been spoiled by the 2008 D's dominance.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Well, the Steelers will just have to do it like last year. Hang on for the win and get a few blowouts here and there.

The 2009 Steelers seem to be a team that has appeared from the Twilight Zone. The roles have definately reversed.

-Offense is carrying the Defense.
-Offense couldn't move the ball a lick of crap against anyone, now it seems to move and score at will.
-Offensive Line used to suck, now Ben is barely getting touched.
-Defense used to stop anyone, now we'll be lucky to hold an opponent under 300 yards.

And very little has changed with the personnel from 2008 to 2009. It's quite jarring actually. I guess we've all been spoiled by the 2008 D's dominance.

You forgot a few...

Our punting is great,
Our returners look like they may break one every time they touch it....
we are allowing WAY too many yards on punt and kick returns.

:rofl:

Like I said, just like last year, but reversed!

Preacher
10-12-2009, 02:20 AM
bump

Kvnfaber
10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
I understand the concepts of this thread and how the opposite situations compared to last year are occurring. However, there are a few things that I think are pushing us in the direction:

1. Polamalu has been out - We are simply not the same without him.

2. Our offense has rounded into form the last two games, particularly in the red zone. But look at our opponents? I can't anoint our offense as being nearly as dominant as our defense last year until it shows up against a good defense. Look at the Bengals game. We had yards, but what do those mean if the offense squanders multiple opportunities to score TD's. Same thing with the Bears game.

I guess my point is, playing the Chargers and Lions can skew the view of the opposing offense. A lot of areas of the Steelers offense that was struggling earlier in the season came alive.

I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to put things in perspective. I hope that this three game stretch against bad defenses can be a springboard that vaults our offense into a point producing machine once we visit the Vikings/Ravens/Broncos.

steelerchad
10-12-2009, 08:28 AM
We need a safety in the draft because Clark and Polamalu are on the wrong side of 30 and we have to think about the future. We also need a DE since Keisel and Smith aren't getting any younger.

Polamalu is only 28 and Clark's 30th birthday is today.
Safety is a position that can be played well until mid 30's. I agree with planning for the future, but we're ok with these guys for 3-5 more years. We got Hood for Dline depth and future. I think we need 1 more D lineman next year.

The only thing with Troy is he seems like the kind of guy who could walk away while still in his prime and go do other things.

BlastFurnace
10-12-2009, 09:43 AM
If you look at last year, how different would our season had been if we didn't pull out last minute games against San Diego, Dallas, and Baltimore. It's that simple...we don't make the playoffs.

The league is that close. This year, we have lost 2 games that could have gone our way, but won a game (Tennessee) that could have gone the other way as well.

It's almost like we are thinking the Steelers are head and shoulders above everyone else...and we aren't. We weren't last year. This team, like last years, just needs to find a way to win games, get into the playoffs, and see what happens.

SteelGhost
10-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Preacher, I agree, we have to wait until the end of the game to draw a big W , but for different reasons :chuckle: Our beloved team is "entertaining" us 60 minutes :rofl:

Kidding aside, I hope Mr. LeBeau stops the 4th. quarter trend, we need big D against the Vikes and the Broncos.

Edman
10-12-2009, 09:57 AM
BF is right, we've seem to have re-entered a league of parity. It happened in the 90's when the Cowboys dynasty faded, and it's happening again now that the Patriots are no longer dominant. There is virtually no sure-fire winner anymore. No, not even the Colts, who despite their fast starts, wielded little results.

I thought the Denver Broncos would have a crap season, well, they're 5-0 and sit alone atop the AFC West.

I thought the Titans were contenders, well, they're 0-5 and their season is virtually finished. Five AFC Losses to start the season is not good.

We're in the heap with everyone else. It's all about what we have to do to win. The 2005 and 2008 Steelers were far from the most dominant teams in league in the regular season, but they had heart and turned it on when the chips were down. The 2009 squad will just have to do the same.

The_WARDen
10-12-2009, 10:10 AM
If you look at last year, how different would our season had been if we didn't pull out last minute games against San Diego, Dallas, and Baltimore. It's that simple...we don't make the playoffs.

The league is that close. This year, we have lost 2 games that could have gone our way, but won a game (Tennessee) that could have gone the other way as well.

It's almost like we are thinking the Steelers are head and shoulders above everyone else...and we aren't. We weren't last year. This team, like last years, just needs to find a way to win games, get into the playoffs, and see what happens.

except last year, the tight games were typically against better opponents. This year it's the Bungles, Lions and as we're finding out...a crappy Titans' team.

BlastFurnace
10-12-2009, 10:37 AM
except last year, the tight games were typically against better opponents. This year it's the Bungles, Lions and as we're finding out...a crappy Titans' team.

The Bungles have beaten Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore...they aren't as bad as we thought. They have always had the talent, but never could do anything with it.

Make fun of them all you want, but winning road games at Green Bay and at Baltimore is formidable.

The_WARDen
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
The Bungles have beaten Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore...they aren't as bad as we thought. They have always had the talent, but never could do anything with it.

Make fun of them all you want, but winning road games at Green Bay and at Baltimore is formidable.

If they are involved in the conversation come January, then I will apologize.

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, playing that far off is part of the scheming, as the CB's have run responsibility and aren't going to get locked up. It has nothing to do with the cover-2 D.

There are a few things that troy would break up. However, people are talking about him like he is the second coming of Jesus. If our D is THAT dependent on 1 man, then this team is in serious trouble.

No, I think it is a matter of every team taking a LOT of looks at our tape wondering if they can steal from our schemes.... and that also helps them know our schemes.

they dont call him Troysus for nothing.

SteelMember
10-12-2009, 02:10 PM

While playing off the receiver is part of the scheme for the CB, I don't think it has much to do with run responsibility. The fact that we are giving up 10+ yard plays on 3 and long does in fact have something to do with the cover 2 zone. The weak point of that coverage is the seams in the zone, especially the intermediate to deep middle, and that is precisely where teams have been killing us. We were too predicable, and teams smartly called plays to counter it. I HATE the prevent!

10-12-2009, 02:39 PM
The defense kind of reminds me of 2007. For the most part, plays real well on first and second downs, setting up third and longs, only to give up the first down. Look at the stats. Currently the Steelers are allowing teams to convert third downs at 42%. That is tied for 25th in the NFL. Last season the Steelers led the league by allowing teams to convert on only 31% of third downs. This eventually catches up to the defense, leading to the poor 4th quarter play. It is all about getting off the field.

This is where the team really misses a healtly Troy P. IIRC, Troy was hurt, and hobbled most of 2007, and never really himself. Last year, he was in the discussion for DPOY, that his teammate won.

SteelMember
10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
It is all about getting off the field.

And that's it in a nutshell. You work you @ss off to get to 3rd and long with plays that pressure the offense. Don't let 'em off the hook buy playing passively and giving their QB time to read the field and make long passes. BRING IT! At the very least, mix it up and don't be predictable...like the last 3 plays.

BlastFurnace
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
The defense kind of reminds me of 2007. For the most part, plays real well on first and second downs, setting up third and longs, only to give up the first down. Look at the stats. Currently the Steelers are allowing teams to convert third downs at 42%. That is tied for 25th in the NFL. Last season the Steelers led the league by allowing teams to convert on only 31% of third downs. This eventually catches up to the defense, leading to the poor 4th quarter play. It is all about getting off the field.

This is where the team really misses a healtly Troy P. IIRC, Troy was hurt, and hobbled most of 2007, and never really himself. Last year, he was in the discussion for DPOY, that his teammate won.

Nice comments. You nailed it.

Steelboy84
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
troy polamalu...

he matters.

it would also help when our rb has 60 yds rushing in the first quarter, he actually get the ball enough to gain more than 17 yds in the next 3.

however ben is sharp as a tack. i dont mind putting the game in his hands in any situation.

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :hatsoff: