PDA

View Full Version : Post-Detroit thoughts

mesaSteeler
10-11-2009, 10:59 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Post-Detroit thoughts
It was a little more difficult than expected, but a win is a win.

And the fact that the defense came up big when it needed to at least showed something - particularly after an otherwise lackluster day.

Some fans - read gamblers will make a big deal out of the fact the Steelers didn't cover in their 28-20 win over the Lions. But if they beat Cleveland and Minnesota at home in the next two weeks before their bye, all anyone will be talking about is 5-2, not how they got there.

That rape case has really been a distraction for Ben Roethlisberger, huh?

Roethlisberger is completing and NFL-best 73.8 percent of his passes and is averaging just under 300 yards passing per game.:tt::tt04:

The biggest difference has been his willingness to check down to his running backs and tight ends.

It's no coincidence his completion percentage is what it is when he's already completed 29 passes to Heath Miller.

Because of his pass catching ability, Rashard Mendenhall is a better fit as the starter for this team.

Oh yeah, he's running well too.

I like Willie Parker a lot. In fact, I was probably the first person in Pittsburgh to do a story on hiim when a I did a feature for SteelCityInsider.com on him during his first minicamp. Makes me feel like I discovered him, even though I didn't.

But Mendenhall has taken the bull by the horns.

The Steelers can keep resting Parker for another week or two to get his toe completely healed and use that as an excuse to keep on starting Mendenhall.

I did find it interesting that when the Steelers were backed up against their own goal line in the second quarter, they came out with Mewelde Moore at tailback.

My first thought about that the coaching staff still has some fumble concerns with Mendenhall.

Anybody who paid to see Cleveland play Buffalo today should get a refund. And their heads checked.

In his past six quarters of football, James Harrison has five sacks.

That, my friends, is called production.

He has a tough matchup coming up with Cleveland's Joe Thomas, who has held him to a half-sack in three career meetings.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 10:25 PM 0 comments Links to this post

stb_steeler
10-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Nothing wrong with the offense, they playing great. Now the defense needs to get back to their playing level......:tt04:

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Nothing wrong with the offense, they playing great. Now the defense needs to get back to their playing level......:tt04:other than they were under 50% on 3rd down conversions ....:noidea:

scsteeler
10-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Defense plays good until 3rd down. Hopefully this will get better when Troy Returns.

:tt04:

BadBradz24
10-12-2009, 12:08 AM
everything is fine on offense but will the real steeler defense PLEASE STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ID LIKE TO WATCH A GAME WITHOUT HAVING A HEART ATTACK FOR ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!

mesaSteeler
10-12-2009, 12:11 AM
everything is fine on offense but will the real steeler defense PLEASE STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ID LIKE TO WATCH A GAME WITHOUT HAVING A HEART ATTACK FOR ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too. I'm to old for this. I'd like to see us go out and dominate a team.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Me too. I'm to old for this. I'd like to see us go out and dominate a team.

We disagree a lot... On this point, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. They give me a heart attack!

mesaSteeler
10-12-2009, 12:45 AM
We disagree a lot... On this point, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. They give me a heart attack!

In the spirit of our new found detente I nominate the Clowns as a team we should thoroughly stomp into the turf.

sharkweek
10-12-2009, 01:45 AM
1. I agree in that I think Mendenhall should be our starting RB, let Parker be the closer when the defense is worn down.

2. As far as heart attacks go, how is having a super productive offense but a porous 4th Q D defense any worse than what we had last year with stout defense and inept offense until the 4th Q?

RoethlisBURGHer
10-12-2009, 01:55 AM
I would love to get a complete game out of the defense against a team other than Tennessee.

I think Troy Polamalu being out is big because there is not another safety, hell, player in the league like him.

But we need better safety depth. We are weak after Clark and Troy. That needs to be fixed.

I think this defense can and will improve.

LVSteelersfan
10-12-2009, 02:05 AM
This team will be unstoppable when Troy gets back. Mark my words now. They are great on offense, acceptable on special teams, and will be awesome on defense when Troy gets back.

Rotorhead
10-12-2009, 03:07 AM
My post game thoughts:
1. My girl back home is amazing, she turned on Skype, pointed the webcam at the TV and I was able to watch the first Steelers game this year!! Thank you honey!

2. Our defense is missing something, not a person really, but something. Maybe someone needs to step in and really become the defensive leader of the Defense. It is like they don't have that chip on their shoulder maybe, not sure but it is missing something.

3. Townsend . . . he is by far the most underrated player on the team, period. All he does is make the right plays, never gets beat. I will buy his Jersey and I hope to god he retires a Steeler.

4. This is not a bash on Arians, but the comentators said "the Steelers were looking to put the game away with the deep ball" in the 4th qrtr. Did Arians really change up the gameplan that was working for the 1st 3 qrtrs? If so WHY!!!

5. Did our Def finally get their identity back in the 4th, let me see, we didnt "prevent" ourselves from winning, we returned to blitzburgh in the 4th and if you noticed, our corners played up on the receivers those last few drives, no 15yd cushions like the previous games!!! Finally!!!

6. Has Mendy taken the spot from FWP, or at least garnered equal playing time? I think so.

7. Off line played very very well, I am impressed.

8. Did Cincy really beat Baltimore? Are they really #1 in the North? Did Hell just freeze over too?

9. Our schedule is looking a bit more difficult than previously thought: Broncos 5-0 (Wow, NE has really fallen!!) Minn 5-0 (Brett Favre is something special) Cincy 4-1 (I honestly think they should be 1-4 right now).

10. When are we finally going to put together a complete game? A full game of def and off would destroy any team out there, please let it when we play Minn, that will shut all the bobbleheads up!

steelreserve
10-12-2009, 03:28 AM
The biggest difference has been his willingness to check down to his running backs and tight ends.

More like, the biggest difference is that the running back actually gets open and runs well after the catch. And the third receiver actually gets open AND hangs onto the ball. It was hard to check down to those options the past couple years when they usually weren't there.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 03:35 AM
More like, the biggest difference is that the running back actually gets open and runs well after the catch. And the third receiver actually gets open AND hangs onto the ball. It was hard to check down to those options the past couple years when they usually weren't there.

Well, last year they were there as the checkdowns were usually MeMo.

Washington still has problems hanging on to the ball in Tennessee so you are right there, though I detect another unnecessary rip on Willie, since he wasn't playing most of last year.

I think the BIGGEST thing, is that we have a line that actually is playing pretty well this year. They are giving Ben time to make his reads and then throw the checkdown.

solardave
10-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Defense plays good until 3rd down. Hopefully this will get better when Troy Returns.

:tt04:

I think when Troy gets back the entire complexion of the defense will change. The secondary seems lost on third downs without him. Missed assignments,bad tackling,etc.

Texasteel
10-12-2009, 07:27 AM
I think when Troy gets back the entire complexion of the defense will change. The secondary seems lost on third downs without him. Missed assignments,bad tackling,etc.

That do look like a different secondary, doesn't it.