View Full Version : Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Game 5 vs. Detroit Lions

mesaSteeler
10-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Game 5 vs. Detroit Lions
Game ball goes to OLB James Harrison
Monday, October 12, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Game ball goes to: OLB James Harrison

After getting just one sack in his first three games, the NFL's defensive player of the year has five in the past two games, including three yesterday against Daunte Culpepper-- his most since he had three in the 2008 season opener. And that does not include a forced fumble and intentional grounding penalty he caused on first-and-goal at the Steelers' 7 that forced the Lions to settle for a field goal. The Steelers had a season-high seven sacks, their most since they had seven Nov. 3 against the Redskins in Washington, and it was Harrison's pressure that set the tone.
The countdown

A quick look at the top performances from the yesterday's game:

OH, NO, NOT AGAIN: After allowing 45 points in the fourth quarter of the past three games, the Lions made it a one-score game when Daunte Culpepper completed six consecutive passes for 65 yards, culminating with a 25-yard TD pass to Dennis Northcutt that made it 28-20 with 4:57 remaining. What's more, after allowing just seven passes of 20 yards or longer in the first four games, the Steelers allowed Culpepper to complete four passes of 20 yards or longer, including two on the Lions' final scoring drive.

BIG PLAY GAY: The Steelers nearly equaled their 2009 sack total (8) against the Lions, but none of the seven were as significant -- or as rare -- as the 1 1/2 registered on successive plays by CB William Gay, who had never had a sack in 36 previous NFL games.

MIKE WALLACE'S DROPPED TD: Stealing a page from Limas Sweed, the rookie receiver dropped what would have been a 71-yard TD pass for a 21-6 lead. Two plays later, Ben Roethlisbeger's pass for Wallace was intercepted for a touchdown.

WARD'S FIRST TD: It took Roethlisberger just six plays to shake off his pick-six, completing all four passes for 39 yards on the ensuing drive, ending with a 17-yard touchdown to Hines Ward, who dived through the air for his first of the season.

WILLIAM JAMES' INTERCEPTION RETURN: It was significant not only because it was the only touchdown the Lions managed until the fourth quarter, but it also was the second pick in a row Roethlisberger has had returned for a touchdown.
Inside the numbers

27: That's how many offensive plays the Lions ran in the third quarter, compared to just five for the Steelers. But Detroit was outscored in that quarter, 7-0, thanks to Roethlisberger's 47-yard touchdown to Mike Wallace on the fourth play of their first possession.

What was he thinking?

With a 15-point lead in the third quarter, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he got too greedy and kept throwing the ball, trying to hit too many home-run plays.

The approach almost cost the Steelers. Rashard Mendenhall, who had 65 yards rushing in the first half and should have ben a workhorse in the second half, had just six carries after halftime. At one point, Ben Roethlisberger attempted five consecutive passes, getting sacked three times. The result: The Lions ran more plays (43-8), had more yards (205-77) and more first downs (14-4) in the second half.
Overheard

"It's still not up to the level we need it to be. We let them go down the field again and make it close."

-- Outside linebacker James Harrison, who had three sacks, on the performance of the defense
Up next

vs. CLEVELAND, 1 P.M. SUNDAY: The Browns, coming off a 6-3 victory in Buffalo, haven't scored an offensive touchdown in nine of their past 11 games. They have also lost their past 11 meetings with the Steelers.
X's and O's

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said sometimes he likes to call the same blitz on back-to-back plays because the opponent isn't always suspecting the same call. And that's what he did in the final two minutes with cornerback William Gay, blitzing him off the left corner on back-to-back plays after the Lions moved to the Steelers' 21 that resulted in 1 1/2 sacks by Gay and a shared sack with linebacker LaMarr Woodley. "We got the right call and they ran it perfectly," LeBeau said. For good measure, Lawrence Timmons added a third consecutive sack to push the Lions back to the 45.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09285/1004751-66.stm#ixzz0ThBsSAG5

("With a 15-point lead in the third quarter, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he got too greedy and kept throwing the ball, trying to hit too many home-run plays."

Well now we know what is wrong. It's what I've been saying; It's this stupid pass happy crap that the moron Arians keeps using.

Preacher, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't GREED one of the seven deadly sins? You should write a sermon on the evils of GREED and the evils of PROMISCUOUS passing and send it to this fool Arians. If Arians does not return to the old time Steeler religion of running ball his GREED is going to be deadly to our chances of getting back to the promised land of the SuperBowl. - mesa)

Preacher
10-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Preacher, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't GREED one of the seven deadly sins? You should write a sermon on the evils of GREED and the evils of PROMISCUOUS passing and send it to this fool Arians. If Arians does not return to the old time Steeler religion of running ball his GREED is going to be deadly to our chances of getting back to the promised land of the SuperBowl. - mesa

:rofl:
Well, as a Baptist we think all sins are the same....

but yeah, we need BALANCE. I like the pass plays, I like the foot on the accelator mentality. But as I have said before, BALANCE.

It take a baptism by fire at times to get one's attention at times.

Steelers & I
10-12-2009, 03:32 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09285/1004838-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Play calls after half debated by coach
Arians questions whether he called too many passes
Monday, October 12, 2009
By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
DETROIT -- Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he "got a little greedy" with the play-calling in the second half and probably had quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throw the ball more than he should have with the Steelers protecting a 15-point lead.

The sudden failure of the offense, coupled with the decision to not give running back Rashard Mendenhall more carries in the second half, nearly cost the Steelers in a 28-20 victory against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field.

"We scored so quick in the third quarter when we had the ball and then we hit a lull," Arians said. "We sat there for a while on the bench and I think we lost our rhythm. I got a little greedy there trying to hit the home run ball."

The reference was to the third quarter when the Lions had the ball for 27 plays, compared to five for the Steelers. Nonetheless, the Lions were outscored in that quarter, 7-0, because of Roethlisberger's 47-yard touchdown to rookie Mike Wallace.

The Steelers ran only 12 offensive plays after that, seven of which were pass attempts by Roethlisberger. At one point, he attempted five consecutive passes, getting sacked three times.

Mendenhall, who had 65 yards rushing on nine carries in the first half, had six carries for 12 yards in the second half, despite the lead.

"It was real frustrating" Arians said. "I got too greedy"

I think this debate is OVER Preacher. You've just read a confession from Bruce Arians himself. He called too many pass plays, PERIOD!

mesaSteeler
10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
:rofl:
Well, as a Baptist we think all sins are the same....

but yeah, we need BALANCE. I like the pass plays, I like the foot on the accelator mentality. But as I have said before, BALANCE.

It take a baptism by fire at times to get one's attention at times.

What do you think will do get Arians attention? Another couple of losses? A 8-8 record? The HELL of not making the playoffs?

I'm not saying we should never pass. I agree we need balance. However the rule of thumb in football is that if your offense is being successful against the opponent's defense by running the ball then keep doing it UNTIL they stop you.

What infuriates me is that if we are running the ball effectively as we were yesterday in the first half then why stop?

I think it's Arians' VANITY (another deadly sin) that is causing some of this. If we can't run the ball at all because the other defense is stacking the box then by all means bombs away. But Arians seems to want to prove what a genius he is by calling pass play after pass play even when it's not necessary or even desirable.

Have those of you who like all of this PROMISCUOUS passing considered the demoralizing effects on another team of a long clock eating drive in the fourth quarter that ends in a Steelers TD?

Another factor is that that Arians was spoiled by last years defense that was the best in the league. It's made him RECKLESS. (I don't know if that is a sin or not). He seems that believe that the D can always cover his incessant GAMBLING (isn't that a sin?) on offense.

Earth to Arians, wake up an smell the coffee. Our D is not bailing us out of YOUR mistakes, caused by your GREED and VANITY. We are leaving to much time on the clock and teams keep coming back on us. Also if some of our problems on defense are caused by age, due to our players running out of gas in Q4, then keeping them off the field in Q4 is another benefit of running the ball.

All this fourth quarter passing keeps leading to these shootout games and we have, and will continue too, lose our share of those. Anyway, as we both have agreed, all of theses shoot out games are bad for the fans health and sanity.

One other consideration for you. Our O-Line, which seems to be getting better, and the rest of the offense are not going to get better at running the ball if we don't do more of it.

Well it's up to Coach T to fix this. I only hope he does so soon.

X-Terminator
10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I still think it's interesting that so many people criticized the playcalling in the 2nd half last week for being too conservative, and this week people are complaining because it wasn't conservative enough.

Arians cannot win no matter what he does.

fansince'76
10-12-2009, 10:21 AM
I still think it's interesting that so many people criticized the playcalling in the 2nd half last week for being too conservative, and this week people are complaining because it wasn't conservative enough.

And next week it'll go back to being the opposite again. It gets tiresome. :coffee:

Mordax
10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
fire Therrien!!
...I mean Arian!!
...I mean, what?

Dino 6 Rings
10-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I think that the coaching staff will make an adjustment to the play calling. The only problem I had was in the 4th with a 15 point lead, was passing on 1st down. Run it first, even if its only a 2 yard play, it keeps the clock moving and sets up a 2nd and 8. Then on 2nd, maybe throw a screen or a quick slant, I mean if you "Have" to pass cause it makes you happy.

The 3 and out stuff drives me nuts, but I get being greedy, our guys were open deep pretty often this weekend and if not for a few drops we would have blown this game open and really put a hurting on the Lions.

Steelers & I
10-12-2009, 05:50 PM
I think that the coaching staff will make an adjustment to the play calling. The only problem I had was in the 4th with a 15 point lead, was passing on 1st down. Run it first, even if its only a 2 yard play, it keeps the clock moving and sets up a 2nd and 8. Then on 2nd, maybe throw a screen or a quick slant, I mean if you "Have" to pass cause it makes you happy.

The 3 and out stuff drives me nuts, but I get being greedy, our guys were open deep pretty often this weekend and if not for a few drops we would have blown this game open and really put a hurting on the Lions.

I agree with your post but I'll point out that the clock was still moving on at least one of those 4th quarter series with the Steelers holding on to a 15 point lead. The Steelers attempted to pass the ball on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs. The clock was still moving because Ben Roethlisberger was being "clocked" by defenders. As I said in another post, with a 15 point lead in the 4th quarter, I want to see a RB taking the hits, not Ben.

Steelers & I
10-12-2009, 05:52 PM
And next week it'll go back to being the opposite again. It gets tiresome. :coffee:

And next week you'll oppose ANY opinion that other members may have on the topic. It truly does get tiresome.

AllD
10-12-2009, 06:13 PM
After a sack we need to go to a draw play or screen. Everybody is bringing the house at BB because it is most team's biggest game of the season-FACT. Do you think Detroit would sellout if Steeler Nation was not buying the leftover tickets?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Dulac is about as positive as this place after a loss. :banging:

Basically he is saying:
-the Defense almost lost another
-Wallace dropped a TD
-Ben made bad choices and threw a pick 6
-O line blocked well against crappy opposition

Looking at his report card, I think we lost. Oh well, on the positive side, at least Ron Cook didnt write the article. :applaudit:

fansince'76
10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
And next week you'll oppose ANY opinion that other members may have on the topic. It truly does get tiresome.

And next week you'll bitch about what an idiot Arians is and play 20-20 hindsight armchair OC once again for about the 50,000th time regardless of the game's outcome. And indeed, it is tiresome.

ricksteelers55
10-12-2009, 08:45 PM

He is the Limas Sweed of coaching....no matter what he does people are waiting for him to fail

ricksteelers55
10-12-2009, 09:29 PM

I think I have a solution....let's not call running plays or passing plays on each playcalling and get penalized for delay of game on each play

Steelers & I
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
And next week you'll bitch about what an idiot Arians is and play 20-20 hindsight armchair OC once again for about the 50,000th time regardless of the game's outcome. And indeed, it is tiresome.

Here's the bottom line: Mesa pointed out that Arians called too many pass plays. Preacher wanted to debate Mesa's point. Afterwards, 2 articles are posted quoting Arians as saying that he became greedy and passed the ball too often. At that point the debate is over, Mesa's opinion was spot on. GAME OVER! Further posts stating that members will bitch next week if Arians doesn't pass enough are ridiculous.

fansince'76
10-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Further posts stating that members will bitch next week if Arians doesn't pass enough are ridiculous.

Yeah, sure they are. :rolleyes:

This team doesn't have it. At least as long as Arians is calling plays. Run, Run, pass is so predictable with way to much time left on the clock. The defense can't save The Offenses a$$ every game. Score some freakin points when your in the red zone.

I hated that during the Cowher era! it angers me that the Steelers continue to play conservative when they have a lead, keep running up the score! so that they have no chance!

Really it is simple, we almost lost the Super Bowl because we refuse to put the game away when we take a solid lead. 13-0 was solid, but Arians always decides to stop pursuing points and hope the defense can stop the comeback attempts of the opposing offense.

Ben RoethlisbergerIn the past two weeks, the once-dead Steelers running game has shown slight improvement. Even with Rashard Mendenhall benched for disciplinary reasons, Pittsburgh was able to gash the Bengals for some solid gains in the first half.

But when the Steelers tried to hang on to their lead in the second half, it's fair to ask if offensive coordinator Bruce Arians offense got a little too predictable.

In the first half, Pittsburgh ran the ball seven times and threw the ball six times on first down. One of those passes was the 27-yard touchdown pass to Willie Parker and another was the 51-yard bomb to Mike Wallace. In all, Ben Roethlisberger completed four of the six passes for 91 yards on first down. The running game worked as well, as Parker gained 23 yards on seven carries. Three of the seven carries went for four yards or more.

In the second half that balance went away. Roethlisberger connected on a five-yard pass to Heath Miller on the first play from scrimmage in the second half. But on the Steelers next eight first downs, Arians called only one pass play. Pittsburgh did attempt a pass on the final first down of the game as well--but that ws a hail mary pass on the final play of the game.

The bottom line is, regardless of what kind of plays Arians calls, there will always be a large contingent of armchair OCs screaming that he should have done the exact opposite in 20/20 hindsight, win or lose.

X-Terminator
10-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Can't add any more to that. Proved my point to a T.

Steelers & I
10-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Yeah, sure they are. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is, regardless of what kind of plays Arians calls, there will always be a large contingent of armchair OCs screaming that he should have done the exact opposite in 20/20 hindsight, win or lose.

NO! No way will anyone around here complain about the offensive coordinator. :sofunny: Yeah, I won't dispute that, there's always going be complaints.
I was referring to this particular thread only. When the Arians quotes were posted, the debate was dead at the point. No further comments were necessary.

Steelers & I
10-13-2009, 02:13 AM

Oh wait a minute Fan, you haven't seen me complaining about Arians much at all this season as opposed to last season. I pretty much like the Steelers passing game, I just think that they use it too often.

Hell I'm even becoming satisfied with the situational play calling, like the use of the lead blocking FB/TE/Back-up O-lineman on those 3rd and short plays. But yeah, I aired my complaint about passing the ball on 3 straight plays in the 4th quarter when the Steelers were leading 28-13. Arians himself confessed that he became greedy and passed too often.