PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger not happy despite 28-20 win

mesaSteeler
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Roethlisberger not happy despite 28-20 win
October 12, 4:30 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m10d12-Roethlisberger-not-happy-despite-2820-win

DETROIT – At times Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looked like Mark Malone as he eyed his receiver the entire way. There were times when he held the ball too long.

“I don’t feel I played that well, “ Roethlisberger said of his performance in the Steelers 28-20 win over Detroit. “

But let’s look at the bigger picture. Roethlisberger not only spread it around the field hitting six different receivers, but on the night he had a 123.9 passer rating, 277 yards in the air and three touchdowns.

“Really the thing that is exciting now, is that Ben is using all of his eligibles,” Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s dumping the ball to Rashard (Mendenhall) he’s dumping the ball to Mewelde Moore, and of course Heath (Miller) is a constant. “
Roethlisberger agreed with his coach.

“We have a lot of weapons,” Roethlisberger said “And when you have good wide receivers and running backs it is easy to spread it around,”

COLON CLEANSING – While it was a team effort and for a fourth consecutive week the offensive line looked good, Willie Colon continues to stand out among the unit. But don’t try telling him that.

“I think we are all accountable for our actions,” Colon said. “We understand there are no excuses in football that you just have to show up. The bottom line is we have to show that we have five guys up there at all times willing to win at all times, and it’s a testament to us.”

Colon said it was important to get that road win, and credited it as a team effort.

CONSERVATIVE IN A LIBERAL CITY - For three quarters, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called a decent game plan. But what was he thinking after the Lions scored on an 82 yard drive late in the fourth quarter. Running on the first play was good, and Mendenhall nearly got ten yards. But with plenty of time left on the clock, wouldn’t have second down been a perfect time to go into a no huddle situation and try to advance the ball? On the second play Mendenhall got -2 and then Roethlisberger forced a pass to Mike Wallace that was incomplete. This took all of a minute and a half.

“It was hard to get into a rhythm in the second half and there is really no excuse for that,” Roethlisberger said. “The standard is higher for us on offense, and we should be able to use that final five minutes there to score. “

HE PLAYS FOOTBALL TOO? - Manny Ramirez helped lead the Dodgers to a sweep over the Cardinals on Saturday night, and on Sunday he helped lead sweeps around end for the Lions. Ok, not the same guy but it sounded good, and the Lions version who weighs in at 6-3, 226 suited up for the Lions,

LIMAS SWEED - A surprise active for the game, as most expected veteran Shawn McDonald to make the start against his former team, Sweed who was inactive last week after his drop against the Bengals, was stone hands again. On an important third down play in the first quarter he did what he has done best the past two years, ‘droppa da ball’.

RASHARD MENDENHALL - First rush 27 yards, second run, seven yard score. Nothing more need said. On the afternoon the 2008 first round pick had 77 yards and a 5.1 average.

“I try to do everything that I can do by being out there the whole game, Mendenhall said. “I try to help the team anyway that I can. It was a pretty good performance

The big question about Mendenhall, especially on Sunday was why only six touches in the second half? Mendenhall had an explanation.

“It was all about the flow of the game,” Mendenhall said. “ As an offense we weren’t on the field as much as we wanted to be and different things happened where we had to throw the ball.” (Hey Mendy, I know you have to say this but this dog don't hunt. - mesa)

DAUNTE CULPEPPER – The 32-year old showed he still has some spring in the old legs. On his first run he cut through the Steeler defense for 32 yards. He also showed he has some life left in his arm as he led the Lions back from a huge deficit in the fourth quarter.

JAMES HARRISON – Do you think he was a little fired up to see his former teammate Larry Foote. In the first half Harrison had two sacks. He finished the day with eight tackles and three sacks. His best was his second of the day where he mimicked Larry Foote.

“I did a stomp for Foote there, that’s my dog,” Harrison said. “Truthfully, I don’t know if he was really able to help them out because we were sending out false signals today.”

I’M SORRY – Most remember referee Ed Hochuli’s errant calls last season. For those who forgot, let’s go over a worst. It was the Denver –Chargers game and his miscue handed the Bronco’s a win. Well he was at it again during the Steelers- Lions game starting with the Lions second score. Hoculi sounded the like guy in the Bud Light commercials when making the call on a penalty that was declined. Not once, but twice he had to apologize for being clueless.

Then he botched yet another call on a play where Mike Wallace should have caught the ball for a potential touchdown. After calling a penalty on the defense he reversed the call and made the proper one on Wallace for kicking the football.

MILLER’s TIME – He doesn’t get the attention that elite tight ends in the league get, but when his number gets called all he does is produce. His first catch went for a touchdown while his second was for ten yards and a first down and his third, yet another first down. Miller had five catches for 54 yards.

“Heath is a pro, and Ben has a great deal of comfort in him,” Tomlin said.

klick81
10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I tend to agree with Ben on this one, but I'll happily take the W.

I also wasn't sure if the foot stomping was good natured ribbing for Foote, or if they were throwing it at his face. Guess that answers that!

fansince'76
10-12-2009, 11:03 AM
The big question about Mendenhall, especially on Sunday was why only six touches in the second half?

I dunno, maybe because he only got 12 yards on those six touches?

CargoJon
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm not happy either. I feel like I'm watching a .500 team that plays just well enough to win one week, and just poorly enough to lose the next....

steelreserve
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
I dunno, maybe because he only got 12 yards on those six touches?

Oh, come on, everyone knows that when our starting RB has a bad stretch, it's all the line's fault and NOBODY can run the ball when they're getting swarmed in the backfield, etc., etc. :coffee:

vasteeler
10-12-2009, 11:41 AM
idk 3 tds to 1 pick and a 129.something rating ill take that all year long

Steely McSmash
10-12-2009, 11:57 AM
IMO

Credit the Lions for making Defesive adjustments in the second half. Early on they were not rushing as many guys as in the second half.

Not sure if this was an adjustment at half or just the need to take risks when your team is down by so many points. Alternately it could be a response to the 30,40 yard pass plays we were attempting.

If they're blitzing, we need to make some short throws to Heath, Hines and check down to Mendenhall. Also how about some no huddle to keep them from rotating in different personnel?

Dino 6 Rings
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
He should be "not happy" he threw a mother effing Pick 6 on a weak throw that he should have made or looked off.

KeiselPower99
10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
A ass kicking to the Browns should make everyone feel better this week.

TackleMeBen
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
A ass kicking to the Browns should make everyone feel better this week.
unless the browns pull an upset :wink02:

Kvnfaber
10-12-2009, 02:33 PM
What I love is hearing/seeing our players and coach talk after games and comparing it to what the Browns have to say.

I work in a suburb of Cleveland and hear a lot of Browns talk and I couldn't get over the fact that Mangini was overflowing with joy after winning a 6-3 ballgame in which his QB was 2-17 for 23 yards. He literally sounded like a teenage girl that just made the cheerleading squad or something.

Whereas we have Big Ben and Tomlin that EXPECT excellence and are not satisfied with just a win.

I guess that's the difference between a stable, winning environment in Pittsburgh and the pitiful, staph infection breeding, doghouse that is Cleveland.

AllD
10-12-2009, 03:41 PM
unless the browns pull an upset :wink02:

It could be a trap game for the Browns after coming off that massive win against the Bills.

As for Culpepper's running, it's easy to run when your pursuers are being held around the neck and the refs don't make the call.

also in a related note, it looks like the Ravens are as hated by the refs as the Steelers. 2 games in a row they got hosed by the refs. Too friggen' bad.

Steeldude
10-12-2009, 03:55 PM
i guess that means BR is being a hater :toofunny:

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm most amused by all the people claiming Arians screwed up by not running the ball and grinding clock.

These are the same people who have claimed VERY recently that Arians screwed up late in games by not passing the ball and trying to put the other team away...in fact a few of the more misguided actually claim that HE was responsible for recent losses.

If we would have run the ball these very same people would have bitched about not passing enough. The only constant is that the bitching and whining NEVER stops...

It literally never ends for the naysayers...unless we pass for 600 and rush for 400 and score 100 points, there will always be a bunch of stupid complaints...

What IS interesting is Ben playing a solid game and realizing he could have played better. Just a few years ago a performance like his against Detroit would have been considered stellar (for BR at least) by friend and foe alike. 23-30, 277 and 3TD's to 1 INT...and he's upset at how poorly he played. My how things change...

Edman
10-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Ben threw a pick 6 that shifted the momentum of the entire game. He had a fantastic game, but the pick 6 really stuck on him.

stillers4me
10-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Ben threw a pick 6 that shifted the momentum of the entire game. He had a fantastic game, but the pick 6 really stuck on him.

And what did he do right after that? He drove the ball back down the field and we scored. :doh:

Edman
10-13-2009, 09:29 PM
And what did he do right after that? He drove the ball back down the field and we scored. :doh:

Tell that to Ben, he's the one feeling bad.

I'm just theorizing why Ben probably isn't happy despite his great game. I'm not bashing his performance, he played great.

Steel_Bus_24
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
i guess that means BR is being a hater :toofunny:

yeah I guess he isn't a true fan, and just whining and being a crybaby

:rofl:

Spinlcrack
10-13-2009, 10:31 PM
He should be "not happy" he threw a mother effing Pick 6 on a weak throw that he should have made or looked off.

Agree, he shouldn't be happy, but I said this before, but I think a more experienced Wallace comes back to that pass. I think it was a rookie mistake. Not a good pass, but could have been caught...by our guy. IMO

stlrtruck
10-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Just make the adjustment this week and don't throw another one. Tear this browns defense apart, and let the RBs rip a hole through the front line.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 12:49 PM
We should just run the ball every down...

Angus Burgher
10-15-2009, 04:44 PM
What IS interesting is Ben playing a solid game and realizing he could have played better. Just a few years ago a performance like his against Detroit would have been considered stellar (for BR at least) by friend and foe alike. 23-30, 277 and 3TD's to 1 INT...and he's upset at how poorly he played. My how things change...

This has me intrigued as well. Ben is one of the best QBs in the game but I think that, at times, the Steelers as a whole have been content with him putting up solid numbers in games, as opposed to great ones. I get the sense from Ben (and from the team) that the Steelers don't want to just win... they want to dominate.

I personally would take either one... I don't mind them flying under the radar again if it ends up in another SB win. But how awesome would it be to see them completely blow out most of their opponents this year, and THEN cap it off with Lombardi #7? I really hope that's where we're headed and I think that Ben's attitude here is a good sign of that.

iloveben7
10-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Ben's always going to want to improve no matter how great he played in the game. He's always striving to get better and he'll never blame anyone else for his mistakes.

Steel-Bryan
10-15-2009, 08:29 PM
One way to kill any team is running the ball for 4 yards a carry, theyll be sick of it by the end of the 1st quarter.

Angus Burgher
10-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Ben's always going to want to improve no matter how great he played in the game. He's always striving to get better and he'll never blame anyone else for his mistakes.

Very true. I love the way he never bashes anyone (even at times when it would be completely justified).