PDA

View Full Version : The question just has to be asked: if Willie is healthy enough to go Sunday........?

Steelboy84
10-12-2009, 03:55 PM
do you start him......................................or go with the "hot hand" in Mendenhall?

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :drink: :drink: :drink: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sharkissle29
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I've never been a downer on willie, but mendy has the hot hand. mendenhall should be our starter

PalmerSteel
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
i say we go with our tradition: start willie. just have a healthy does of mendy and then whoever is running better gets majority of carries in 2nd half. then re-evaluate it. dont make willie lose his starting job to injury.

AllD
10-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Mendy will start, you have my George Foreman guarantee.

steelreserve
10-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I suspect that Parker's injury doesn't "get better" until Mendenhall has a bad game. Until then, he'll coincidentally be juuuuuuust hurt enough to keep him on the sideline.

Or at least, one can hope.

WH
10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Why bother. Mendenhall is fine, when Arians thinks it's a good idea to actually give him the ball. And with a REAL challenge in Minnesota coming up, why not give Parker and Troy that extra weeks rest?

SteelC7
10-12-2009, 06:27 PM
i say let mendenhall start and sub in willie, i think parker is a good change of pace back, and mendenhall is a good feature back, wen we want outside runs, and someone to scare the defense by threatening to take it all the way, put in willie for a series, but rashard should be the starter....id even go as far as to say we should resign willie for cheaper as a backup, like i said, hes a great change of pace back

hellbread
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
i think mendy should start he has way too much productivity to be riding the pine. however, mendy needs to watch some old tiki barber highlights to learn how to properly carry a football.

BlastFurnace
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Willie has a role on this team and if we go anywhere this year, he will be a part of it.

Next year, he will be on another team.

sharkweek
10-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Mendy has shown surer hands as a receiving threat, I think he's definitely showing the potential and think he should be our starter

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Nah.........Mendenhall is nothing but a scatback the Steelers reached for in the draft. He's a bust, remember?? :rolleyes:

Preacher
10-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Nah.........Mendenhall is nothing but a scatback the Steelers reached for in the draft. He's a bust, remember?? :rolleyes:

:rofl:

That was AGES ago. Come on El G! Now he is the next Jerome Bettis!

If Willie jaunts for about 130 a week for two weeks, there will be nary a soul around here that doubted him EVER! :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
:rofl:

That was AGES ago. Come on El G! Now he is the next Jerome Bettis!

If Willie jaunts for about 130 a week for two weeks, there will be nary a soul around here that doubted him EVER! :wink02:

:chuckle: Yeah....I wonder if SF posters consider taping up their ankles before jumping from the Parker bandwagon to the Mendenhall bandwagon? :noidea: It would prevent a lot of broken ankles I think.

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
If Willie jaunts for about 130 a week for two weeks, there will be nary a soul around here that doubted him EVER! :wink02:im pretty sure steelreserve would still hate him... even if he had 850 yds in the next 5 games (because most of those yards would come on long runs and not count, and atleast 1 game would be against a stinker defense and not count).

Preacher
10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
I suspect that Parker's injury doesn't "get better" until Mendenhall has a bad game. Until then, he'll coincidentally be juuuuuuust hurt enough to keep him on the sideline.

Or at least, one can hope.

Now I am REALLY confused SR....

Mendy had 77 yards on 15 carries, but a long of 27 yards. Take out that one long run, and you have 3.5 yards a carry.

That is worse than Willie's 3.8 the year before, and much worse than the 4.1 before that!

(oh yeah, and in 2006 and 2007, Willie combined for 54 catches and 380 yards at a 7.15 YPC) mendy had 2 for 16, so about the same average-within a yard for just a couple catches)

So how is Mendy's running better... When you take out his long runs?

:poke:

(just having fun with ya). :wink:

SteelersMongol
10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
What's with the love/hate stuff? 2 me it doesn't matter as long as 1 of the em is healthy. V could rely on any of the 2. They both proved themselves up 2 us.

ricksteelers55
10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
call me crazy if you want but even if Mendy has a superb season and is the starter...I think Willie will be back next year.

I have a feeling he will accept to sign a kind of Bettis deal to stay with the only team that gave him a shot at the NFL.He would then accept his role and be productive that way.(Plus if Mendy goes down baring injuries Willie can step up and still have Memo as the 3rd down back)

We'll see but in the end this could be a win-win situation

Oh and with Willie having only 3.5 yds per carries and Mendenhall having also 3.5 without the long run dont you guys think it is time to start OUR REAL RB Isaac ''REDZONE,TOUCHDOWN MAKER,INVINCIBLE FORCE,NEW KUHN'S GENERATION,GOD'S FORCE,POWERTHUNDER'' Redman ?

I could also see Redman being the solution for the poor defensive play

vindrow
10-12-2009, 07:43 PM
You gotta go with the hot hands and feet and start Mendy....got nothing against FWP but he isn't as fast, or quick and diesn't have the vision that Mendy does.

ricksteelers55
10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
You gotta go with the hot hands and feet and start Mendy....got nothing against FWP but he isn't as fast, or quick and diesn't have the vision that Mendy does.

like I said in previous post we can say what we want about who is better between the two,bottom line is we dont care we are winner if they both play well.Who cares who is starting ? This is a team that preaches with the team first mentality so no places for the ME.

You dont start ? Alright then just make the plays when your number is called

I'd rather be a backup in a championship team than a starter in a loser team

Preacher
10-12-2009, 08:29 PM
In all actuality. . . .

I want to see FWP running behind this line that is opening up holes, to see if he really is worth trying to keep next year for a smooth transition, or if his career is much closer to being over.

His injuries tell me he is close to being done, as he seems to just not be able to stay healthy now. But if he can come even CLOSE to regaining form, WOW, what a combo we would have.

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 08:37 PM
In all actuality. . . .

I want to see FWP running behind this line that is opening up holes, to see if he really is worth trying to keep next year for a smooth transition, or if his career is much closer to being over.
.our o-line will not open holes like that against the likes of the ravens.

the steelers have proven the last 2 years they can open up holes like that against the chargers, and scrub teams like the lions or browns.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
our o-line will not open holes like that against the likes of the ravens.

the steelers have proven the last 2 years they can open up holes like that against the chargers, and scrub teams like the lions or browns.

Never had holes 4 years ago vs the likes of the Ravens.......but Dan Kreider used to make cracks into running lanes. I hope David Johnson can do that the rest of this season. :thumbsup:

I still think this is the final season that Parker is in B&G....just like I said when Mendenhall was drafted.

Nadroj 20
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I say start Mendenhall but still play Parker

Going against the Browns hoepfully both backs can be productive.

Maybe Willie will play better without starting....he did at one time remember?

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Never had holes 4 years ago vs the likes of the Ravens.......but Dan Kreider used to make cracks into running lanes. I hope David Johnson can do that the rest of this season. :thumbsup:

I still think this is the final season that Parker is in B&G....just like I said when Mendenhall was drafted.
yeah, i still have no idea to the extent of summers or mchughs "season ending" injuries, but it definitely seems the steelers are devoted and committed to d. johnsons potential and promise.

i'd say c. davis better be ready to embrace ST duties alone once johnson is fully healthy.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
our o-line will not open holes like that against the likes of the ravens.

Yeah, but we play the Browns next week.

Then just under half our games, 3 of the next seven, are going be against teams that our O should open holes against.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 09:01 PM

I agree... provided Willie doesn't turn on the jets... and STILL signs a Steelers sweetheart deal a la Bettis.

Neither the Steelers nor the Ravens run agaisnt each other.

Interesting thing is, we are now two of top 10 (YPA) teams for the PASS in the NFL.

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but we play the Browns next week.

Then just under half our games, 3 of the next seven, are going be against teams that our O should open holes against.parker set steelers records and had 200 yds through 3 quarters of play vs. teh browns 2 years ago.

unfortunately that doesnt count and people still think he sucks.

as it was in the past, so will it be in the future.

ricksteelers55
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately running stats dont count if you're under 230 pounds in steeler nation

Steeldude
10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
if parker is healthy and cleared to play then tomlin will insert him as the starter. mendenhall with get about 5 carries.

i am not sold on the running game, mendenhall or the O-line just yet. they played two weak defenses for two weeks. let's see what they do against some better competition. up next is the worst run defense in the league.

sharkweek
10-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Speakin' of which, I noticed that "Redzone" isn't listed on the practice squad on the official website. Something happen that I missed?

IIRC he was activated from the practice squad due to Parker not being available, I remember even hearing Al Michaels talk about it during the Chargers game

steelpride12
10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
If Parker is healthy he will start and finish this season as the starter.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-12-2009, 11:45 PM
yeah, i still have no idea to the extent of summers or mchughs "season ending" injuries, but it definitely seems the steelers are devoted and committed to d. johnsons potential and promise.

i'd say c. davis better be ready to embrace ST duties alone once johnson is fully healthy.

Johnson fits the mould that fits a BA system. #3 TE who can also line up in the backfield. I'm just happy he is there and can block if needed.

Although, I LOVE that formation with Legursky lining up as a FB!!! The Big Legursky is athletic for a 320lb guy!!

Preacher
10-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Johnson fits the mould that fits a BA system. #3 TE who can also line up in the backfield. I'm just happy he is there and can block if needed.

Although, I LOVE that formation with Legursky lining up as a FB!!! The Big Legursky is athletic for a 320lb guy!!

LOL... You see him running in slow motion? He looked like a basketball!

You know, just once, I would LOVE to see us try Leg. on a FB run. We probably wouldn't get many yards.. but the replay would have laughing my butt off for a week!

Galax Steeler
10-13-2009, 03:34 AM
I thought Tomlin said he is going with whoever is hot and that would be Mendenhall. Alot of people say he is running with open holes which is true to a certain extent but I have also noticed that he has made some great runs with nothing there. He is keeping his feet under him and not going down on the first contact. I have been behind Mendenhall since we drafted him and I am behind him know. Come on Tomlin it is time for Mendenhall to be the man in Pittsburgh.

stlrtruck
10-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Time to split carries and create a two headed monster called a running attack.

WH
10-13-2009, 10:16 AM
One ould disuss whether or not Parker and Mendenhall are too different to be in a ''two headed monster''

stlrtruck
10-13-2009, 11:13 AM
One ould disuss whether or not Parker and Mendenhall are too different to be in a ''two headed monster''

How is that?

Jackal
10-13-2009, 11:24 AM
if parker is healthy and cleared to play then tomlin will insert him as the starter. mendenhall with get about 5 carries.

i am not sold on the running game, mendenhall or the O-line just yet. they played two weak defenses for two weeks. let's see what they do against some better competition. up next is the worst run defense in the league.

Agreed. The running game has been improved the past few weeks against these weak teams, but we haven't exactly run all over them, either. If and when we finally break 150 yards rushing against a defense ranked in the top 3rd of the league, then I'll start to be convinced.

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Unfortunately running stats dont count if you're under 230 pounds in steeler nation

No, stats don't count when they come in such an inconsistent fashion that you singlehandedly kill half of the team's drives.

It still amazes me that the same people who rail against others saying "OMG you're just hung up on fantasy football numbers!!!!" are the same ones who point at Parker's overall season yardage while ignoring the fact that he just plain has a BAD GAME 50%-60% of the time, and even more often lately.

WH
10-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Let me give Mendenhall a few more games before I really explain that. Just seems like Mendy is the smashmouth runner, where Willie is the straight ahead speed guy. Having them in there individually would just seem too easy for the defense to adjust to because of the predictability of what each back is going to do.

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Let me give Mendenhall a few more games before I really explain that. Just seems like Mendy is the smashmouth runner, where Willie is the straight ahead speed guy. Having them in there individually would just seem too easy for the defense to adjust to because of the predictability of what each back is going to do.

What, gain yards versus not gain any yards? :noidea:

WH
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
What, gain yards versus not gain any yards? :noidea:

zinger

Jackal
10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Dancing Willie Parker has produced jack squat for us the past 2 seasons. Even when there are holes, it's as if he doesn't see them. I'm all for rotating them on long drives to keep the defense tired, but I think it's time to give Mendenhall a chance.

Dino 6 Rings
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I can't believe I read this entire thread and didn't see anyone argue that Moore should be the Starter over both Parker and Mendenhall...wtf people...don't you realize that Moore is the best RB on the team and that he deserves to be the starter on this team right now! :chuckle:

Chuckle face for the Sarcasm

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
I can't believe I read this entire thread and didn't see anyone argue that Moore should be the Starter over both Parker and Mendenhall...wtf people...don't you realize that Moore is the best RB on the team and that he deserves to be the starter on this team right now! :chuckle:

Chuckle face for the Sarcasm

That's so last year. I told you last week, Moore needs to start at QUARTERBACK now. He's throwing touchdowns on 100% of his pass attempts. That's way better than the lousy bum we've got in there now.:chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
10-13-2009, 12:20 PM
That's so last year. I told you last week, Moore needs to start at QUARTERBACK now. He's throwing touchdowns on 100% of his pass attempts. That's way better than the lousy bum we've got in there now.:chuckle:

Holy crap! NAIL ON THE HEAD!

I mean, Moore is the Ultimate Wildcat Threat in the Universe now isn't he?

If we trade Ben would could maybe get a better back up long snapper in the deal too!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Just seems like Mendy is the smashmouth runner, where Willie is the straight ahead speed guy. .

Completely disagree that Mendenhall is a "smashmouth runner".

Mendenhall has quick feet and good lateral movement, then a nice burst of acceleration thru the hole. At 225lbs, he looks to spin in traffic and sideslip contact rather than finish runs like a "smashmouth runner".

Preacher
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Mendenhall has quick feet and good lateral movement, then a nice burst of acceleration thru the hole. At 225lbs, he looks to spin in traffic and sideslip contact rather than finish runs like a "smashmouth runner".

Bingo.

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 04:42 PM

I don't think he's "smashmouth", just "normal," which is better than we've had in the power department. We don't need a bettering ram, just a guy who generally uses a style that keeps him going forward on most plays. And a guy who tends to fall forward during the tackle, not get caught on his heels. THOSE are the kinds of things I see Mendenhall doing, and while I'm under no impression that he's running people over and knocking them on their butts, it's a definite improvement and makes him a more complete back.

solardave
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Mendy will start, you have my George Foreman guarantee.

I think so too. We might see Willie sparingly.

Preacher
10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't think he's "smashmouth", just "normal," which is better than we've had in the power department. We don't need a bettering ram, just a guy who generally uses a style that keeps him going forward on most plays. And a guy who tends to fall forward during the tackle, not get caught on his heels. THOSE are the kinds of things I see Mendenhall doing, and while I'm under no impression that he's running people over and knocking them on their butts, it's a definite improvement and makes him a more complete back.

I hate to keep harping on this... but that is only true once he cross the LOS... and both MeMo and Willie were doing that as well when they got across the LOS.

In other words, I think you are over-exaggerating the difference.

What I DO see different between Willie and Mendy, is that Mendy is running with his head up more. It seems he has better vision of the field right now. I also like how he really fights for the extra yards, and has seemed to break a couple of tackles. I look for this kid to get better over time and, if he continues to develp and our line continues to develop, we will have a beautiful run/pass attack.

WH
10-14-2009, 02:09 AM

I agree. I guess I use the term smashmouth runner for him only when compared to Willie Parker.

stlrtruck
10-14-2009, 08:22 AM

I assume this was a reponse to my question about "Why" so I'll sit back and wait for your explanation (hopefully you'll have something by the bye week).

Steelboy84
10-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I think so too. We might see Willie sparingly.

Yea, I think so too.