PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau's New Defensive Plan

SteelerEmpire
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
During the off-season, it was known that the defensive coordinator, Rich LeBeau, had drawn up a new defensive strategy he'd envisioned and was "engineering" the prototypes during training camp....Then you didn't hear anything else about it....

The Defense has been REAL strong in the first half.... REAL weak in the 2nd.... "every" game this season.
This is a BIG difference compared to just last year.... with 1.basically the same players. 2.the same coaching staff. And 3.its not realistic to say that EVERY team, "including" the Bungles and the Lions, that we've played has "figured out " this squad that lead the league in every defensive category last year WITH THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULE IN NFL HISTORY ( as was stated by one of the guys that makes out the NFL schedule every year)(the "Lions", of all teams, last year 0-16, and without their starting QB, can now make fools of possibly the best D in history just last year ? Man, that's incredible... do you see an "irony " here ?? Or is it just me ?)

Could LeBeau be "practicing" his new defensive strategy in the 4th qtr once we have been sitting on a lead with our opponents ??
One series we give up substantial yardage, then one series we get 3 sacks in a row ?? How often does that happen ??

If 3 sacks in a row are the kind of results we get once his new scheme is mastered, maybe it will be well worth the wait...

Just my thoughts....

There has been no good REASON why teams like the Lions, can just run over the Steelers D....all of a sudden....

hindes204
10-12-2009, 09:14 PM
interesting theory.....though, im not sure a coach as great as lebeau would jeopordize a win just to test a new defense out

Christian Snyder
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Rich LeBeau

Rich Lebeau????

hindes204
10-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Dick....short for Richard, i believe

Christian Snyder
10-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Dick....short for Richard, i believeOhhhhhhh.....

klick81
10-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Seriously doubt LeBeau would be doing this just for sh!ts and giggles.

Preacher
10-12-2009, 09:49 PM
No. It's typical Steeler defense to trade field for time. It's predicated on the fact that we have Jerome Bettis to eat up the clock on the offense.

Problem is, we no longer have Bettis nor his line. I think our D. has to adjust too.

Nadroj 20
10-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Dick....short for Richard, i believe

True but he is known as Dick i could understand why Rich looked wierd

Steeldude
10-12-2009, 10:12 PM
If 3 sacks in a row are the kind of results we get once his new scheme is mastered, maybe it will be well worth the wait.

it's the same scheme. there are no new or hidden plans to reveal.

MACH1
10-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Not only No, but hell NO.
Pre-season is the time to "practice" anything like that, not when every game counts and your playing to make it to the big show. If Coach T found out anything like that was happening Dick wouldn't have a job much longer. Especially if it cost us winning some games and making the playoffs.

Steelman16
10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
And what "new defensive strategy" might that be? Sorry, but no. This is complete bull.

KartSteel
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I agree with MACH1. There is no way the Steelers would be experimenting with new defenses in a regular season game when it could mean a blown assignment that could have cost them the game. I'm not sure what is happening with our D right now but if I'm Coach T & Coach L, I have a meeting with the defense & get things worked out as soon as possible. We are coming up to a critical set of games with Minnie & Denver. We can't afford to play dumb football against those clubs. We need to get to the kind of shut down defense we had last year, period. Of course it will help to have Troy back.

Steelboy84
10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
True but he is known as Dick i could understand why Rich looked wierd

lol

Steely McSmash
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
If they were doing something new......We'd see something new.

What we see is an over the top zone that gives up throws underneath. Sometimes this is cover 2 type of coverage. They're running a lot of this 1-5-5 look with Aaron Smith as the only guy with a hand down

Defensive breakdown contributors in my opinion:

They might be over-using the 1-5-5 -- Not sure why they don't leave Casey in there to occupy 2 blockers instead of Aaron Smith other than that he needs rest.

either Farrior has lost a step and can't cover underneath as well or he's doing things that Timmons or Troy did last year.

Woodley is not producing as much pressure - is Aaron Smith not comanding as much attention now?

Troy is out

Harrison is being held (same as last year though)

nickel corner with Townsend / Ratliff is a step down from Gay last year

Timmons is not as fresh/hungry -- also seems to be a bit bigger this year, maybe not quite as fast.

Playcalling is generally more conservative without Troy. Lebeau can't do as much with LB and FS blitzing without Troy to cover up any weaknesses.

Jackal
10-13-2009, 01:03 PM
It does seem damn near impossible, though, that we've gone from being an unstoppable defense to a doormat over the course of one off-season without any major changes. I also refuse to believe that Troy's absence would have this big of an impact. Granted, he's the best safety in the NFL and is an immense game-changer, but I would like to think that LeBeau, the creator of the zone blitz scheme that we've run for years, would be more prepared than to have his entire defensive strategy based on one player with no appreciable contingency plan in the event of that player's absence.

The soft zone coverage is a departure from our regular Steelers defense, and is partly to blame for the problems we've been experiencing. I don't know why we're doing it, but it needs to end.