PDA

View Full Version : Sweed on trade block

STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
10-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Just kidding, but he is on the trading block according to michael lombardi. He is going to get traded and become a star, and the steelers will regret it when santonio leaves for big money and ward retires. Write it down

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
m. lombardi wishes.

he is just grasping at straws and praying he is right to make himself legitimate...

just like all those around here who declare him a bust and proclaim he will be cut.

bradness113
10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
:coffee: ...................

MACH1
10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Just what we need around here. Another worthless thread.

STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
m. lombardi wishes.

he is just grasping at straws and praying he is right to make himself legitimate...

just like all those around here who declare him a bust and proclaim he will be cut.

I thin it's legit, but i hope i'm wrong because the steelers usually don't give up on someone with a lot of potential, especially when they have ward near retirement and holmes close to his contract running out.

tony hipchest
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I thin it's legit, but i hope i'm wrong because the steelers usually don't give up on someone with a lot of potential, especially when they have ward near retirement and holmes close to his contract running out.whether it is legit or not, i agree with the previous 2 posters.

this thread is either headed to the "fun house" or due for a title change.

not cool. sweed will be a steeler atleast until his contract is up.

m. lombardi isnt shit.

Steelman16
10-12-2009, 11:12 PM
This isn't even legitimate if it's not on twitter. :chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
10-12-2009, 11:23 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/11iee4h.jpg

this is nto even gonna happen if they give wilie reid time to not develop they will give sweed the same benefit

SteelC7
10-13-2009, 12:19 AM
wen was the last time the steelers traded anyone or picked up anyone? ridiculous, obviously its a joke...o and hell never become a star, and tone wont be leaving for big money cuz well pay him...write it down ahahahaha

steeltheone
10-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Cut....Is not out of the question...

Preacher
10-13-2009, 06:04 AM
Cut....Is not out of the question...

Um, actually yes. It is.

solardave
10-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Lombardi and the other fool Lacaforna<sp> that they have replacing Shefter are serious idiots.

I couldn't agree more.Put the 2 of them together and it wouldn't make one Schefter. They screwed up when they let him get away.

WH
10-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Just what we need around here. Another worthless thread.

What exactly, in your definition, is a worthwhile thread?

Texasteel
10-13-2009, 07:48 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/11iee4h.jpg

this is nto even gonna happen if they give wilie reid time to not develop they will give sweed the same benefit

Unfortunately, people forget to flush.

SteelMember
10-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately, people forget to flush.

...and sometimes the crap keeps floating to the top.

Texasteel
10-13-2009, 07:58 AM
What exactly, in your definition, is a worthwhile thread?

A worthless thread is one that should be a post in another thread. This was posted at 9:16 PM last night in another Sweed Thread.

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Not gonna happen.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Lombardi and his bogus "National Football Post" is another two-bit rumor mill from a guy who wants to be like Florio.

Throw enough crap and some might stick to the wall.

I won't believe it till PFT reports it - hahahahahaha

KeiselPower99
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
If anyone on this team needs traded its our worthless qb. Man could win a big game to save his life.:toofunny:

WH
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
If anyone on this team needs traded its our worthless qb. Man could win a big game to save his life.:toofunny:

Sad thing is someone is going to take you seriously.

Steelboy84
10-13-2009, 11:25 AM
This isn't even legitimate if it's not on twitter. :chuckle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I'd take a second-round pick for him.

heh.

Steely McSmash
10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
wen was the last time the steelers traded anyone or picked up anyone? ridiculous, obviously its a joke...o and hell never become a star, and tone wont be leaving for big money cuz well pay him...write it down ahahahaha

Last trade I recall was Mahan for a 7th rounder. Last trade after week 5?? I'd love to know.

Part of being a stand-up organization to the Steelers seems to be cutting players instead of trading them so they can choose their own next step. And they do this...in the offseason.

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
A WR who apparently can't see (hence the offside penalties) and can't catch isn't going to garner much value on the trade block...

We're stuck with him.

Dino 6 Rings
10-13-2009, 01:25 PM
I wonder how long after Sweed catches that 70 yard TD that his jersey will be one of the top 10 being sold in the NFL in Pittsburgh...hmmmmmm

Kind of like how Holmes beat the bengals with a big catch his rookie year after he was being declared "bust" or "wasted draft pick"

Is Wallace on the Trade Block? Or is he too fast to catch to tell him he's in trouble for dropping a game exploding open touchdown?

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I wonder how long after Sweed catches that 70 yard TD that his jersey will be one of the top 10 being sold in the NFL in Pittsburgh...hmmmmmm

Kind of like how Holmes beat the bengals with a big catch his rookie year after he was being declared "bust" or "wasted draft pick"

Is Wallace on the Trade Block? Or is he too fast to catch to tell him he's in trouble for dropping a game exploding open touchdown?
I don't recall Santo getting benched for sucking in his second year...

Sweed has 6 catches for like 80 yards in 21 regulars season games, 3 playoff games...he averages 1 catch every FOUR games.

pitt0wns
10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I would trade Sweed. What is he worth to PIT? Nothing, he had his shot and blew it.

Wallace is way better anyways

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 04:12 PM
That's the whole point...if the guy has NO value, why would anyone trade anything OF value for him.

At this point I doubt we could even get a 7th rounder for him.

stlrtruck
10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
That's the whole point...if the guy has NO value, why would anyone trade anything OF value for him.

At this point I doubt we could even get a 7th rounder for him.

The same reason someone would trade for Braylon Edwards when in Cleveland he couldn't catch a freakin' cold to save his arse!

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
im pretty sure sweed can catch and see.

What's your proudest moment in football? Proudest moment off the field?

My proudest moment in football was the Ohio State catch because it helped my team keep the national championship dream alive; Off the field, graduating from college.

:chuckle:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/limas-sweed?id=322#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-qa

while it is no excuse, i remember "plexiglass" struggling mightily with the dropsies for several years after his wrist injury. however he was still afforded #1 wr opportunities ahead of hines ward.

burress proved to be a valuable commodity in the league. being that sweed actually has brains, i still feel he has more upside than what burress showed.

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
The same reason someone would trade for Braylon Edwards when in Cleveland he couldn't catch a freakin' cold to save his arse!

It was amazing how much better Braylon caught the ball after being traded. :toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2009, 05:05 PM

good point....:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
It was amazing how much better Braylon caught the ball after being traded. :toofunny:

Yeah, its only one game, but I think getting out of Cleveland is a positive career move for most NFL players.

LukesDad88
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I wonder how Sweed would do as a defensive back?

WindyCitySteelerFan
10-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Tomlin said on the press conference today that he does well in special teams.. That's where he should stay until he figures out how to catch.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I wonder how Sweed would do as a defensive back?

from above link-

Sweed lettered three times as a wide receiver and free safety at Brenham High School. He was a Class 4A second-team All-State and first-team All-Greater Houston selection on offense and an All-District honoree on both sides of the ball as a senior, playing in the 2003 U.S. Army All-American game. He also earned 4A honorable mention All-State and All-District honors as a junior, and while primarily playing defense he was tabbed the District's Sophomore of the Year in 2000.

Nearly half of his 72 catches (31) in his final three seasons went for touchdowns. Sweed also averaged 23.4 yards per reception (72 for 1,684 yards), as he helped lead the team to a 14-2 record and a berth in the Texas 4A Division II Championship game in 2002. He caught 38 passes for 796 yards and 12 touchdowns, adding 44 tackles and five interceptions on defense that year.

Sweed had 22 receptions for 656 yards and 13 scores and added a pair of interceptions as the team posted an 11-2 record during his junior season. As a sophomore, he recorded 89 tackles and three interceptions, adding 12 catches for 232 yards and six touchdowns that season

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 06:39 PM
The kid had 124 receptions in 39 games, which ranks 5th all time at the U of Texas. I just don't understand how its possible that he cant catch.

I think he has lost confidence. I doubt that he is going anywhere.

LukesDad88
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Everybody keeps saying that he just needs more balls thrown his way to gain confidence. I'm sorry but where are those balls going to come from? Would you rather see those throws coming to him instead of Hines, Holmes, Heath, or Wallace? When every throw is so critical (even moreso now that Smith is out), you have to have confidence in your receivers to catch them. While it's obvious that the coaching staff sees promise there, it's also obvious that they and Ben don't have much confidence, otherwise he would be getting more balls thrown his way.

So, he's a project. How long do you spend on a project receiver? Two years? Three? Ward's off to his best start in years, and should still have enough in his tank for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. Holmes is tied up through 2011, and Miller and Wallace beyond that. We have plenty of time remaining to find another receiver. In the meantime, we have a gifted, big, and fast athlete that can lay a pretty good hit on somebody, and can't catch the ball right now. We've got him under contract, why not take a shot with him as a defensive back? Right now, it looks like that could be his best shot at becoming a star in this league.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
The kid had 124 receptions in 39 games, which ranks 5th all time at the U of Texas. I just don't understand how its possible that he cant catch.

I think he has lost confidence. I doubt that he is going anywhere.miles austin had 10 catches for 250 yds and 2 td's (after rebounding from a horrible drop).

im pretty sure had he been a cowboy, that woulda been sweed. then again, the cowboys wr's suck and the steelers dont.

its all about the opportunities to build that confidence. i think sweed woulda been showcasing his skills and afforded the opportunities to make the typical rookie mistakes if he was drafted by washington, the rams, or dallas.

but he is expected to be perfect for the steelers even though he is 4th on the depth chart. :rolleyes:

i guess steeler FANS are spoiled that way. i do respect the FANS assessment of his skills, though. even the ones who have never even coached HS football, yet still have the expertise to say he has shown "nothing".

(as if they know more than the FO)

Preacher
10-13-2009, 08:05 PM
miles austin had 10 catches for 250 yds and 2 td's (after rebounding from a horrible drop).

im pretty sure had he been a cowboy, that woulda been sweed. then again, the cowboys wr's suck and the steelers dont.

its all about the opportunities to build that confidence. i think sweed woulda been showcasing his skills and afforded the opportunities to make the typical rookie mistakes if he was drafted by washington, the rams, or dallas.

but he is expected to be perfect for the steelers even though he is 4th on the depth chart. :rolleyes:

i guess steeler FANS are spoiled that way. i do respect the FANS assessment of his skills, though. even the ones who have never even coached HS football, yet still have the expertise to say he has shown "nothing".

I am constantly amazed at how much we disagree in the political forums, and think almost EXACTLY alike in the football forums!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

steeltheone
10-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Drops can't happen in the NFL. The talent is to equal. If you can't catch another tall fast guy will.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Drops can't happen in the NFL. The talent is to equal. If you can't catch another tall fast guy will.

yea but you cant teach 6'4" and 4.4 speed.

SteelCityMan786
10-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Just kidding, but he is on the trading block according to michael lombardi. He is going to get traded and become a star, and the steelers will regret it when santonio leaves for big money and ward retires. Write it down

It's yellow journalism at it's finest by Mr. Lombardi.

WH
10-14-2009, 03:07 AM
miles austin had 10 catches for 250 yds and 2 td's (after rebounding from a horrible drop).

:applaudit:

Willie Reid got 2 years to try and show himself, and his upside was what? We get a new Antwaan Randel El? pfft.:banging:

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 01:40 PM
He's signed to a 4 year 3.3 million dollar deal.

No other team is really interested in him.

THAT'S the reason we are stuck with him.

WR is a position notorious for being hard to project college skill into NFL potential. Troy Edwards caught 22 passes against Nebraska, parlayed that into a 1st round selection by the Steelers, and look what happened to him. Wayne Chrebet played at Hofstra, walked onto the Jets and ended up second on their all-time receiving list.

But, I know, rather than face the increasingly obvious facts, instead, blast ME for pointing out the inconvenient truth...yeah, that's the ticket!

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 01:44 PM
baby steps

• Tomlin said he hasn't decided whether Limas Sweed or Shaun McDonald will serve as the Steelers' No. 4 wide receiver against the Browns.

"It's really going to be week-to-week as we proceed with those two from here on out," Tomlin said.

The two, who have just one catch between them this season, have alternated as the fourth wideout in the Steelers' past two games. Sweed, Tomlin, said is a more valuable special teams player.

"But we also acknowledge that Shaun McDonald's a guy that's capable of separating at break points, getting open, and moving chains," Tomlin said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_647853.html

WH
10-14-2009, 01:49 PM
They should just get up on Cleveland 32-3 and put Limas in and throw him a few.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I guess the prevailing logic here is that if we throw ENOUGH passes at Sweed, eventually he'll catch one. 20 more passes? 30? I don't know...

That really wouldn't work as a productivity strategy at my place of work, but, again, I haven't even coached High School, so what do I know?

Rick5895
10-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Sweed is a very talented player with great size and speed. However, he is from Texas and recent history shows that Texas offensive players seem to struggle in the NFL. It is said that the Texas guys are babied too much and can't handle the pressure of the NFL. Roy Williams and Vince Young are examples of this.
If we can be patient with Limas, I am sure he will eventually come around, the emergence of Wallace should reduce the pressure on him from the team to produce. Hopefully Hines can get in his head so he doesn't put too much pressure on himself.

MasterOfPuppets
10-14-2009, 02:30 PM
drew brees wasn't worth a bucket of warm piss his first 3 yrs in the league. the chargers gave up on him a little to soon. i'd just hate to see the steelers make the same mistake.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 02:37 PM
It is said that the Texas guys are babied too much and can't handle the pressure of the NFL. Roy Williams and Vince Young are examples of this.

Yeah, so too are Earl Campbell, Cedric Benson, Priest Holmes, Phil Dawson, Jamaal Charles, Casey Hampton, Michael Huff, Cedric Griffin, Quentin Jammer, Bo Scaife, Shawn Rogers, Corey Redding, Nathan Vasher, Selvin Young, etc. :doh:.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Vince Young was just stupid as a bag of hammers.

Could that be it?

I'm not sure what IQ has to do with catching a football, though...

Rick5895
10-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, so too are Earl Campbell, Cedric Benson, Priest Holmes, Phil Dawson, Jamaal Charles, Casey Hampton, Michael Huff, Cedric Griffin, Quentin Jammer, Bo Scaife, Shawn Rogers, Corey Redding, Nathan Vasher, Selvin Young, etc. :doh:.

Quote the whole post, I said recent and referred to offensive players, defensive players have a different mind set. Mack Brown offensive players are babied too much, there are always exceptions to the rule, Benson is doing well now but what about the first few years in the league, Charles is doing nothing in KC
Although I should maybe re state, WR's and QB's. However Tony Hills is roving to be a wasted 3rd round pick as well.
Anyway just 1 guys opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Quote the whole post, I said recent and referred to offensive players, defensive players have a different mind set. Mack Brown offensive players are babied too much, there are always exceptions to the rule, Benson is doing well now but what about the first few years in the league, Charles is doing nothing in KC
Although I should maybe re state, WR's and QB's. However Tony Hills is roving to be a wasted 3rd round pick as well.
Anyway just 1 guys opinion.

OK, the recent Texas WR's and QB's of note in college were who again??? Major Applewhite, Chris Simms, Roy Williams and Limas Sweed. Its like me saying that most Wisconsin RB's never pan out(Ron Dayne and Michael Bennet), so it stands to reason that John Clay sucks.

BTW, Tony Hills is a 4th round pick in his 2nd year. The 3rd round pick OT that was judged "a wasted pick" was Trai Essex from Northwestern............and it took him 5 years to ever see the field.

tony hipchest
10-14-2009, 09:21 PM
I guess the prevailing logic here is that if we throw ENOUGH passes at Sweed, eventually he'll catch one. 20 more passes? 30? I don't know...

That really wouldn't work as a productivity strategy at my place of work, but, again, I haven't even coached High School, so what do I know?

:chuckle: @ your job being compared to a professional athelete.

but i catch your drift.

p. manning threw 28 interceptions as a rookie. according to your infinite wisdom, he woulda thrown less interceptions, thus benefitted more, if he were limited to just 10 passes a game.

shaquille o'neal sucks at free throws, so he should be removed from every game in the 4th quarter to assist his development.

manny ramirez strikes out too much, so fewer at bats will make him a better player.

BRILLIANT!

revefsreleets
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
:chuckle: @ your job being compared to a professional athelete.

but i catch your drift.

p. manning threw 28 interceptions as a rookie. according to your infinite wisdom, he woulda thrown less interceptions, thus benefitted more, if he were limited to just 10 passes a game.

shaquille o'neal sucks at free throws, so he should be removed from every game in the 4th quarter to assist his development.

manny ramirez strikes out too much, so fewer at bats will make him a better player.

BRILLIANT!

What gawdawful analogies...really piss-poor examples:

-Peyton Manning also threw for 3739 yards and 26 TD's his first year.
-Shaq was the most dominant center top ever play the game in almost every facet, plus big men are notorious for being poor FT shooters.
-Manny is one of the best hitters in the history of baseball

Sweed is a WR who can't catch. That makes him comparable to Ryan Leaf as a QB, Sam Bowie in the NBA, or Bryan Bullington in the MLB.

I know some people REALLY want Sweed to succeed even in the face of the increasingly overwhelming evidence that he's simply not NFL material, and that's fine, but let's keep it real. You just tried to compare Peyton Manning to Limas Sweed. Please try harder...

Dino 6 Rings
10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Sweed is a very talented player with great size and speed. However, he is from Texas and recent history shows that Texas offensive players seem to struggle in the NFL. It is said that the Texas guys are babied too much and can't handle the pressure of the NFL. Roy Williams and Vince Young are examples of this.
If we can be patient with Limas, I am sure he will eventually come around, the emergence of Wallace should reduce the pressure on him from the team to produce. Hopefully Hines can get in his head so he doesn't put too much pressure on himself.

Yeah...What He Said :)

Dino 6 Rings
10-15-2009, 12:12 PM

He's talking about under Mack Brown and the current coaching staff. Vince Young, Michael Huff, and so on. And Cedric Benson has spent years Sucking. Ricky Williams...lots of kids out of Texas Epic Fail at the NFL Level.

tyler289
10-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I think Sweed still has a shot, but he keeps taking steps backwards with his failure to catch a pass in key moments. It's all mental. We've all seen what he can do. Hopefully he can figure it out and we can line him up with Wallace more.

Angus Burgher
10-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure what the deal is with Sweed. I remember catching bits an pieces of the preseason and seeing him make some Lynn Swann-esque leaping catches in heavy coverage. Yet when he gets thrown a ball in the regular season (when he's wide open) he drops it.

Maybe Ben should only throw to him when there's a dangerous chance of an interception? I don't know. I think that the guy probably has some talent but unfortunately, he might have blown his chances of ever showing it. I mean, if Ward or Holmes are open, is Ben really going to take a chance throwing to Sweed now?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
He's talking about under Mack Brown and the current coaching staff. Vince Young, Michael Huff, and so on. And Cedric Benson has spent years Sucking. Ricky Williams...lots of kids out of Texas Epic Fail at the NFL Level.

I just think its got no correlation between who a guy played for and how he is gonna perform at the next level. We can say that Derrick Brooks played for Bobby Bowden, so Alonzo Jackson should have been dominant. Same thing with Chris Speilman and Andy Katzenmoyer.

I just dont think you can say its as simple as where a guy went to play college ball that determines he can or cant succeed.

Steelman16
10-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok, seriously. Remember how long it took Nate to "catch" on? Everyone wrote him off and then he became a force last year for us.

Limas:

- has had very few starts and playing time
- came into the league with readjusted vision (someone here try that for me and play WR and see how ya like it)
- is still young, very young. has plenty of time to develop
- is our 4th string receiver

So what's the big deal? Oh, he was a second-rounder and he ain't startin' yet, TRADE HIM! Funny. :chuckle:

Michael Vick's Dog
10-15-2009, 07:06 PM
We'd be selling so low right now that it probably isn't worth it to trade him.

His value in terms of a draft pick is nowhere near the 2nd we spent on him. I'd imagine the Steelers would take a 3rd if it were offered, but I doubt anybody would even offer that right now and it's not worth it to trade him for anything less.

His value in terms of a player is his equal and that is any other young, highly drafted (1st or 2nd rounder) that's off to a slow/bad start to his career and might need a change of scenery. If the Steelers wanted to trade their young, highly drafted, underachieving WR for another teams young, highly drafted, underachiever at another position that's more of a need for the Steelers then I'd be fine with that, but it's still unlikely to happen, imo.

steelreserve
10-15-2009, 07:10 PM
I bet we'd trade him for Kuhn.

OneForTheToe
10-15-2009, 08:51 PM

If we are going to do that we need to get the first born son. "Son of Kuhn" would be a Hall-of-famer for sure.:thumbsup:

Preacher
10-15-2009, 08:57 PM

There is NO WAY we can trade Sweed for the HOF shoe-in Kuhn! Matter of fact, I heard that he was about to win the Nobel Peace Prize for his future work in the HOF!

stlrtruck
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Ok, seriously. Remember how long it took Nate to "catch" on? Everyone wrote him off and then he became a force last year for us.

Nate was also an undrafted free agent vs. a Rd#2 pick (that some say could have gone in the first). The expectations are different.

revefsreleets
10-16-2009, 10:55 AM
You know, maybe I'm just being to hard on Sweed. He does seem like a nice kid. He blocks well. He runs decent patterns and gets open.

I'll go ahead and say Limas Sweed is the greatest WR who can't actually catch passes to ever play in the NFL.

Angus Burgher
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
LMAO

tony hipchest
10-17-2009, 04:26 PM
What gawdawful analogies...really piss-poor examples:

I know some people REALLY want Sweed to succeed even in the face of the increasingly overwhelming evidence that he's simply not NFL material, and that's fine, but let's keep it real. You just tried to compare Peyton Manning to Limas Sweed. Please try harder...

WHOOOSH!!! nice strawman. you call 3 dropped passes "overwhelming evidence"? :sofunny: only in revsworld.

now since you cant understand a simple analogy, i wasnt comparing sweed to manning. i was comparing obvious flaws they had in their games, and what was done to correct them.

you think manning fixed his interception problem by less reps, throws, and practice? did the colts hancuff him by putting him on an in game pitch count? no.

does shaq spend less time at the stripe to compensate for his poor FT shooting.

are you suggesting manny is one of the greatest hitter because he spends less time in the batting cage and they only bat him situationally? according to your immensly flawed logic, manny would be a DH at best, and a pinch hitter at worst because he is just an average fielder.

willie parker had an extremely bad case of fumblitis in 06. did the steelers reduce his opportunities? no. he was just one of 2 or 3 backs to average 20+ carries per game and was leading the league in rushing yards before breaking his leg. oh and his fumblitis is cured.

try harder the next time you try to mask blind homerism and hateritis with "overwhelming evidence".

i think you just show an extreme lack of understanding in sports psychology and the dynamics behind what makes these pro athelets tick.

sweed seems to have no problem catching the short to mid-range, leftwich like lazer balls ben throws to him. then again, sweed spent the most of his career running with the second team. perhaps more time with the starters would benefit him.

less time simply isnt the answer or solution. since passing off opinion as fact is now apropos, fact is had sweed ran the past 2 years with cutler or romo, he would be looking like a budding young superstar right about now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Sweed needs to spend some time after practice catching balls in every possible position. Similar to the practice methods of Raymond Berry, Torry Holt, Jerry Rice.

To use a quote from a sport psychologist Dr. Bob Rotella (author of "Golf is not a Game of Perfect")......"the mind doesnt understand the word "don't". Fred Couples was at the masters and had hit a previous drive in the water, then said to himself on the same tee box the following day "dont hit it in the water". Couples then proceeded to hit it into the water.

Sweed probably gets open and thinks "don't drop this pass", and then drops it. Once he replaces the fear of failure with the belief of success, he will be back to what made him the 5th all time leading receiver in Texas school history.

silver & black
10-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, its only one game, but I think getting out of Cleveland is a positive career move for most NFL players.

Just like going to Cleveland would be a positive career move for Oakland players.

silver & black
10-18-2009, 12:41 PM
It's yellow journalism at it's finest by Mr. Lombardi.

Mike Lombardi sucks d***. :chuckle:

silver & black
10-18-2009, 12:47 PM
You know, maybe I'm just being to hard on Sweed. He does seem like a nice kid. He blocks well. He runs decent patterns and gets open.

I'll go ahead and say Limas Sweed is the greatest WR who can't actually catch passes to ever play in the NFL.

He'd have a little competition from DHB. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
10-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Limas Sweed: The evidence (ignoring the usual AH attack from the same old tired source of AH attacks).

20 regular season games, 3 playoff games:

7 catches
69 yards
Avg: 9.9 YPC
TD's: 0
Fumbles: 1
PR: 1
PRY: 0
Potential TD passes dropped: 3
Times benched for sucking: 1 (so far)

Sometimes even the Steelers miss in the draft...nobody is perfect.

tony hipchest
10-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Limas Sweed: The evidence (ignoring the usual AH attack from the same old tired source of AH attacks).

20 regular season games, 3 playoff games:

7 catches
69 yards
Avg: 9.9 YPC
TD's: 0
Fumbles: 1
PR: 1
PRY: 0
Potential TD passes dropped: 3
Times benched for sucking: 1 (so far)

Sometimes even the Steelers miss in the draft...nobody is perfect.

dude...

anytime anyone contradicts you, you call it an AH attack.

you are the KING of AH attacks.

quit whining, or i will put you back on the bench.

btw, nice sig. LMAO! :toofunny:

verks36
10-19-2009, 02:38 AM
every single part of that statement is flat out wrong

1. The steelers will never trade Limas for two reasons
a. When was the last time steelers traded away a player
b. What team would want Limas

2. Limas no matter what team he is on will EVER be a star. He could be a good role player but never a star.

3. If any one knows anything about the steelers is that they resign there great young stars aka Holmes

Steelers & I
10-19-2009, 03:55 AM
dude...

anytime anyone contradicts you, you call it an AH attack.

you are the KING of AH attacks.

quit whining, or i will put you back on the bench.

btw, nice sig. LMAO! :toofunny:

You better be careful Tony, he'll put you on his ignore list. :binky:

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Correction: Sweed has now been benched TWICE for sucking, since he didn't dress for the Browns game.

As for AH, this IS AH...

Try harder the next time you try to mask blind homerism and hateritis with "overwhelming evidence".

i think you just show an extreme lack of understanding in sports psychology and the dynamics behind what makes these pro athelets tick.

Nothing attacking the argument, all about attacking me.

As for "overwhelming evidence, Sweed is not even ACTIVE... THAT is overwhelming evidence that he is rapidly heading for bust land.

As usual, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting....and LOL at "Timmons bust boy" chiming in...if there is a single idiot on the board LESS qualified to be commenting in this thread, I'm not sure who it might be.

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Actually, this link is pretty comical...it's lonely on the "I suck so I'm inactive" page of thew Steelers website...

http://news.steelers.com/article/112128/

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Actually, this link is pretty comical...it's lonely on the "I suck so I'm inactive" page of thew Steelers website...

http://news.steelers.com/article/112128/

All righty then.

When Tomlin speaks...........he speaks definitively. :popcorn:

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 11:10 AM
But...but....Sweed just needs more time!

This is stupid...he's benched for a reason. It's silly to keep apologizing for him...

Tone's Toes
10-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Tomlin seemed to indicate in his press conference last week that he felt Shaun McDonald was a great match up against CB's that play a lot of press coverage like the Browns supposedly do. (Tomlin's claim so I'm sure it's true.)

Also, the people that apologize for him are no more ridiculous than the people that want to run every player that's off to a slow start to their career out of town. Patience has paid off with other players and it could pay off with Sweed too. I can't guarantee it, but you can't guarantee it won't either.

Preacher
10-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Tomlin seemed to indicate in his press conference last week that he felt Shaun McDonald was a great match up against CB's that play a lot of press coverage like the Browns supposedly do. (Tomlin's claim so I'm sure it's true.)

Also, the people that apologize for him are no more ridiculous than the people that want to run every player that's off to a slow start to their career out of town. Patience has paid off with other players and it could pay off with Sweed too. I can't guarantee it, but you can't guarantee it won't either.

Exactly.

There comes a time to cut bait and leave. I think it is foolish to makes decisions about that time after only being targeted 14 times in the NFL, over 2 seasons.

At this point in the game, NO ONE KNOWS whether he is the next Stallworth or the next Gibson.

Vincent
10-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Exactly.

There comes a time to cut bait and leave. I think it is foolish to makes decisions about that time after only being targeted 14 times in the NFL, over 2 seasons.

At this point in the game, NO ONE KNOWS whether he is the next Stallworth or the next Gibson.

I think it would be very foolish to give up on this kid, especially with no good reason to do so.

I am NOT a TO fan, but he dropped passes all over the place early in his career and cried like a little girl. Sweed shows the mental toughness to suck it up and get back into the game (AFCCG), and back into his career (Texas).

Here's hoping for another John Stallworth.

tony hipchest
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
As for AH, this IS AH...

As usual, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting....and LOL at "Timmons bust boy" chiming in...if there is a single idiot on the board LESS qualified to be commenting in this thread, I'm not sure who it might be.

fixed.

http://news.steelers.com/article/112128/ know whats even more hilarious? your boy mcdonald has been on said list 4 times this season! :toofunny:

thats almost as many times in street clothes as teams he's been on. i guess according to your yahoo logic, he sucks twice as bad as sweed.

either that or you simply know better than dozens of coaches and professional staff in the nfl. :noidea:

take up HS coaching atleast and then try a bit harder next time, skippy. :scholar: (UT beat OSU... time to get over it).

Steeldude
10-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Nothing attacking the argument, all about attacking me.

oh the hypocrisy :doh:

revefsreleets
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Well, we ARE stuck with him for two more years (although if continues to be worth less than a bucket of warm piss they'll cut him next year), so he has the time the Sweed apologists are asking for.

Won't matter though...

As for AH on S&I, the kid, as far as I can see, has never even put forth a single argument that wasn't borderline retarded, so there's really no argument to attack. At this point I'm just hoping he'll go post on another board...

Steelers & I
10-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Well, we ARE stuck with him for two more years (although if continues to be worth less than a bucket of warm piss they'll cut him next year), so he has the time the Sweed apologists are asking for.

Won't matter though...

As for AH on S&I, the kid, as far as I can see, has never even put forth a single argument that wasn't borderline retarded, so there's really no argument to attack. At this point I'm just hoping he'll go post on another board...

Purdue beat the Ohio State Buckeyes :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:, get over it. It's not my fault that OSU's QB BLOWS! Don't take it out on me Sandy. PENN STATE!

revefsreleets
10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
That's it? Purdue/OSU? Sandy?

Nothing in that to refute my earlier assertions about the general acumen displayed in your posts.

Furthermore, wouldn't it make more sense to wait until AFTER the OSU/PSU game to talk this kind of smack? If OSU sucks so badly, what will it mean for PSU if OSU beats them?

Glloydfan
10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Stop hatin on sweed. He's tall and fast and very young. He'll be fine given a little more experience. At least we have time to develop him. Wallace is special though.

revefsreleets
10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
So is Usain Bolt...but he's not going to become an NFL receiver either.

You need to be able to catch to do that...

Angus Burgher
10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
LOL, we were talking about what it would be like if Usain Bolt took up football. I would watch every game he played in, regardless of what team he was on. You've got to admit, it'd be interesting.

revefsreleets
10-22-2009, 02:22 AM
So will Sweed even dress this week? Hard to embark on a Pro-Bowl/HOF career when you can't even get off the pine.

Perhaps his benchwarming abilities is why Tony so vehemently defends the bum...it's a trait they share in common, being 5th stringers...

steelreserve
10-22-2009, 03:27 AM
LOL, we were talking about what it would be like if Usain Bolt took up football. I would watch every game he played in, regardless of what team he was on. You've got to admit, it'd be interesting.

I think that question was pretty much settled when James Jett played for the Raiders. It's not that exciting.

On a related note: Wow, this thread is still going?

Steelers & I
10-22-2009, 06:39 AM
That's it? Purdue/OSU? Sandy?

Nothing in that to refute my earlier assertions about the general acumen displayed in your posts.

Furthermore, wouldn't it make more sense to wait until AFTER the OSU/PSU game to talk this kind of smack? If OSU sucks so badly, what will it mean for PSU if OSU beats them?

Didn't you mean to say "the general lack of acumen?"

revefsreleets
10-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Didn't you mean to say "the general lack of acumen?"

Sir, you do not want to get in a battle of wits with me...you will lose...badly.

Acumen:
Quickness, accuracy, and keenness of judgment or insight.

I have already made my position quite clear as to the quickness, accuracy, and keenness or insight of your posts: All our GENERALLY lacking...and that was implied.

I also wanted to address the horrifically flawed strawman argument of bring OSU into these posts: It couldn't be more irrelevant.

Anyway, back to the nonsense...please enlighten us all with the theories of how a WR who is #5 on the depth chart and currently riding pine midway into his second year because he can't actually catch a football is STILL a star waiting to break out...

HometownGal
10-23-2009, 08:17 AM
So will Sweed even dress this week? Hard to embark on a Pro-Bowl/HOF career when you can't even get off the pine.

Perhaps his benchwarming abilities is why Tony so vehemently defends the bum...it's a trait they share in common, being 5th stringers...

C'mon guys - knock it off with the snide remarks - ALL OF YOU!!! Stay on the topic of this thread or I'll have no choice but to lock it down. Enough is enough. :buttkick:

vasteeler
10-23-2009, 09:15 AM
C'mon guys - knock it off with the snide remarks - ALL OF YOU!!! Stay on the topic of this thread or I'll have no choice but to lock it down. Enough is enough. :buttkick:

:applaudit:

revefsreleets
10-23-2009, 11:36 AM
OK...back on topic:

Sweed was never trade bait, because as the word "bait" implies, this would be a lure, an enticement, a temptation for another team, and Sweed is absolutely enticing NO ONE right now as an NFL WR who drops 50% of the passes thrown to him.

Does anyone know if he's even dressing this week?