PDA

View Full Version : Ravens seek to regroup after another defeat

mesaSteeler
10-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Ravens seek to regroup after another defeat
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_647677.html
By The Associated Press Tuesday, October 13, 2009

OWINGS MILLS, Md. The difference between the unbeaten Baltimore Ravens of two weeks ago and the team currently mired in a two-game losing streak isn't dramatically significant.

The Ravens (3-2) would still be undefeated if they finished off a late drive against New England on Oct. 4 and prevented the Cincinnati Bengals from marching 80 yards for a touchdown in the waning minutes of a 17-14 loss Sunday.

Then again, Baltimore might be a sub-.500 team if linebacker Ray Lewis didn't make a game-saving tackle in San Diego in Week 2.

"The bottom line is this: We make a couple plays we didn't make and we're 5-0. We don't make a couple plays in one other game and we're 2-3," coach John Harbaugh said Monday. "That's the nature of the NFL. If we want to be in the hunt, we've got to win games like this. But no matter what happened in the last couple of weeks, we're still the same team we would have been. All the things we're trying to become as a football team, those things are intact."

In the wake of the 27-21 loss to the Patriots, Harbaugh tried to deflect questions about several key penalties that went against Baltimore. He made it clear Sunday that, even though the Ravens were flagged three times during Cincinnati's final drive, that is not why they lost.

The players agreed.

"If you are going to make those penalties, you'd better play well enough on other downs to make up for them," linebacker Jaret Johnson said. "We didn't do that."

The Ravens yielded 120 yards rushing to Cincinnati's Cedric Benson, the first time a running back has eclipsed 100 yards against Baltimore in 40 games.

"That's something we take pride in," Johnson said. "We put it on our backs, that, 'Hey, you're not going to run the ball on us.' And when a team is able to do that, yeah, it's hard. We have to get it fixed."

And quickly, because the Ravens face Adrian Peterson and the unbeaten Minnesota Vikings this Sunday.

"We have to do a better job of tackling and filling the holes," tackle Haloti Ngata said.

Other problems against Cincinnati: The defense permitted the Bengals to cover 80 yards in less than 2 minutes with the outcome hanging in the balance; the offense managed only one touchdown; and quarterback Joe Flacco threw for only 186 yards and two interceptions.

If the Ravens are to get back to the AFC championship game, these things must be corrected. Even if Baltimore beat the Patriots and Bengals, the final 11 weeks wouldn't be any easier.

"We're the same team, basically, at 3-2 or 5-0," Harbaugh said. "Essentially we've got the same issues, and the same things we're doing well."

When the players gathered Monday to watch game film and discuss this week's upcoming game against Minnesota, there was no lamenting opportunities lost.

Running back Ray Rice, who ran for 69 yards and caught seven passes for 74 yards and a touchdown against the Bengals, said, "We came here in good spirits. ... If we were 5-0 we'd be riding a high horse right now, but I think this is right where we need to be because we still have things to work on.

"It's not like we got blown out of the stadium. These are games where, in the fourth quarter, there were one or two plays that if we make the play, we win the game," Rice added. "Those things get corrected. It's not a lack of effort, it's not a lack of intensity, it's not a lack of (being) physical."

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Save the read...The Cliff's notes are: The Rats are vastly overrated.

AllD
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
They are doomed since they were the "insider" pick by many analysts to win the division and go to the Super Bowl. The rest went with the Pats.

Ravnet
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
We were 2-3 last year, with a rookie Flacco, a rookie Harbaugh, and a rookie Ray Rice.

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Snuck up on some people last year, hence the nice final record.

Not this year...

Ravnet
10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Snuck up on some people last year

I love made-for-TV meaningless rhetoric, too.

We share something in common!

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I love made-for-TV meaningless rhetoric, too.

We share something in common!

I'm sorry you are having trouble digesting that I think your team is very average....and it's fine if you want to lash out at me about that, but it does nothing to change the fact that, well, your team is STILL very average.

They had a nice year in 2008. You should be happy about that...it was cute seeing that old defense and that young QB win some games....

rbryan
10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Ratbirds are hamstrung by Dirty Ray Ray. I knew it would be thier downfall when they drank the kool aid and resigned him to a big contract.

Regardless of the media slurping, Lewis's best days are long behind him. Look a little closer at the opposing teams highlights and you'll find way more footage of him two steps behind the play than there is of him making plays. Watching him flounder around in pass coverage is comical. It's going to end very badly for Ray Ray and the Ratbirds.....

Edman
10-13-2009, 11:15 PM
That hot 3-0 start seems like a distant memory now. Just as the Steelers' 1-2 start seems to be the same way.

But still, a lot can happen in a span of two weeks.

Crow-Magnon
10-14-2009, 09:06 AM
It's a long season. With a long way to go.

I'm a little concerned at the lack of depth at CB, but that's about it.

Dino 6 Rings
10-14-2009, 12:36 PM

This weekends game against the Vikings is a very big game for the Ravens for sure, they can not afford a 3 game losing streak, it'll wear on the Psychi of that team for sure. And god help them if they lose and there is a "controversial" or "bad" call by the refs.

It'll be interesting to watch that game, I know I'll be watching it to scout both teams.

For the Record, the biggest loss for the Ravens in my opinion this offseason was the FB Neal. I don't see them "dominating" the running game this season like they did last year.

Dino 6 Rings
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
See, I can talk "football" about the Ravens without being rude.

AllD
10-14-2009, 01:00 PM
At least one out of Pitt, cincy, and Baltimore will not make the playoffs.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
What about the giant white elephant in the Rats living room?

That VERY average defense...not a reason for concern?

SteelerEmpire
10-14-2009, 02:05 PM
There was all this hype earlier in the season that the Ravens were a new team... but when I finally got to see them play against the Pats.... they looked like the same ol' ravens to me.... Don't believe the hype...

Crow-Magnon
10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
This weekends game against the Vikings is a very big game for the Ravens for sure, they can not afford a 3 game losing streak, it'll wear on the Psychi of that team for sure. And god help them if they lose and there is a "controversial" or "bad" call by the refs.

It'll be interesting to watch that game, I know I'll be watching it to scout both teams.

For the Record, the biggest loss for the Ravens in my opinion this offseason was the FB Neal. I don't see them "dominating" the running game this season like they did last year.

It's hard to dominate a running game when you run the ball 30%-35% of your offensive plays. Why is Cameron calling so few running plays? I don't know-only he and Harbaugh know that. McClain can handle the job of FB as pertains to blocking for the RB (which is not what he did last year, but he can do it) and Rice and McGahee are certainly capable of getting yardage and scoring. But I'm guessing Cam wants to show that Flacco can throw the ball and the Ravens don't have to rely on the ground game. The past two games don't really bear that out, but who the hell am I? Not an OC, that's for sure.

I'd like to say that I believe the Ravens are going to rush a little more against Minnesota this Sunday and try to control the clock more, but if Flacco throws 42-48 passes, I won't say I'll be surprised. Maybe if we had better WR's I could see it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Yeah, I didnt think Frank Walker and Foxworth were gonna be that good in your secondary. Nor did I think Barnes and Johnson were gonna be much of a factor at LB.

I do like the look of how Michael Oher is pass protecting, but havent seen him much in the run game.....but the kid is looking good for a rookie. Still a long way to go, but you gotta come thru against the Vikings.

tony hipchest
10-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I do like the look of how Michael Oher is pass protecting, but havent seen him much in the run game.....but the kid is looking good for a rookie. Still a long way to go, but you gotta come thru against the Vikings.ive heard a few talkin heads on sirius saying he should be the offensive rookie of the year, (even though it will most likely go to sanchise by default).

hood looks like a good pick for us now, but it sure woulda been nice to move up for oher.

Crow-Magnon
10-14-2009, 08:27 PM
ive heard a few talkin heads on sirius saying he should be the offensive rookie of the year, (even though it will most likely go to sanchise by default).

hood looks like a good pick for us now, but it sure woulda been nice to move up for oher.

I've been watching NFL football for a long time and I cannot recall seeing a rookie OL play as well in their first five games as I have Oher. Especially when having to switch from RT to LT after 4 games. He is big, fast and smart.

But yeah, you watch. Sanchise will win by default unless he really blows it the rest of the season.

Ravnet
10-14-2009, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Crow-Magnon;680237] McClain can handle the job of FB as pertains to blocking for the RB (which is not what he did last year, but he can do it) [/QUOTE

Sure, he can, but I don't understand why you would take an up and coming, possibly premiere, powerback and switch him to a position where he gets two touches a game.

I'm guessing the Ravens didn't trust McClain's work ethic enough to make him a full-time RB, or they simply didn't want to have to split the ball between three guys, but McClain was a huge, huge factor in our playoff run last year, and besides goaline situations where he is still effective, his offensive role is now nonexistent.

McClain's blocking isn't much worse than Neal's, and that is not the problem, but I just don't like the fact that we basically removed a really good running back from our offense.

I was kind of excited this offseason as I thought that McClain would actually get 5 - 10 carries a game from the fullback position with Rice/McGahee on the field as well, but that clearly has not happened, which is likely a result of Heap now not being used for blocking, and Rice/McGahee doing so well. But again, McClain's style complemented Willis' which completed Rice's, which threw defenses off.

tony hipchest
10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
I've been watching NFL football for a long time and I cannot recall seeing a rookie OL play as well in their first five games as I have Oher. Especially when having to switch from RT to LT after 4 games. He is big, fast and smart.

But yeah, you watch. Sanchise will win by default unless he really blows it the rest of the season.if the steelers woulda drafted oher, i bet he woulda never sniffed the field barring a rash of injuries to 2-3 more veteran players.

i guess i cant complain about having a deep pecking order though.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
ive heard a few talkin heads on sirius saying he should be the offensive rookie of the year, (even though it will most likely go to sanchise by default).

You pretty much knew he was gonna be a great pass protector, but I still wanna see him in the run blocking game as that wasnt emphasized much at Ole miss for him.

As for the quote that he is "smart".......read "The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis and you will see that Oher could not read a playbook his freshman year, so I dont know if he is splitting the atom any time soon.

I still might have wanted to trade up and get him, then Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd, but I was fine with the selection of Hood. Oher is already probably better than either of our OT's.

Crow-Magnon
10-14-2009, 09:16 PM
You pretty much knew he was gonna be a great pass protector, but I still wanna see him in the run blocking game as that wasnt emphasized much at Ole miss for him.

As for the quote that he is "smart".......read "The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis and you will see that Oher could not read a playbook his freshman year, so I dont know if he is splitting the atom any time soon.

I still might have wanted to trade up and get him, then Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd, but I was fine with the selection of Hood. Oher is already probably better than either of our OT's.

I mean "football" smart, not intellectual smart. :chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
10-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Sure, he can, but I don't understand why you would take an up and coming, possibly premiere, powerback and switch him to a position where he gets two touches a game.

I'm guessing the Ravens didn't trust McClain's work ethic enough to make him a full-time RB, or they simply didn't want to have to split the ball between three guys, but McClain was a huge, huge factor in our playoff run last year, and besides goaline situations where he is still effective, his offensive role is now nonexistent.

McClain's blocking isn't much worse than Neal's, and that is not the problem, but I just don't like the fact that we basically removed a really good running back from our offense.

I was kind of excited this offseason as I thought that McClain would actually get 5 - 10 carries a game from the fullback position with Rice/McGahee on the field as well, but that clearly has not happened, which is likely a result of Heap now not being used for blocking, and Rice/McGahee doing so well. But again, McClain's style complemented Willis' which completed Rice's, which threw defenses off.

I don't understand why McGahee is getting such few touches when he was leading the league in rushing TD's with 5 after three games.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I mean "football" smart, not intellectual smart. :chuckle:

I really still wonder about that. In the book, they had to use dining room chairs to simulate players and get him to understand where to block. He needed the visual example instead of being able to see it on paper.

Either way, its a pretty great story and he's a good looking player. I still hate him and everybody that wears purple though. :wink:

Crow-Magnon
10-15-2009, 09:18 AM
I really still wonder about that. In the book, they had to use dining room chairs to simulate players and get him to understand where to block. He needed the visual example instead of being able to see it on paper.

Either way, its a pretty great story and he's a good looking player. I still hate him and everybody that wears purple though. :wink:

That's true, but it is a well-known fact that some people cannot learn by reading; they either need to hear it or see it in action. I think his level of play so far (especially moving from RT to LT in the NFL after 4 games) shows Oher has the ability to learn the schemes and play at a high level.

Dino 6 Rings
10-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I can't believe a Ravens fan is complaining about the RBs not getting enough touches in the offense this season. I swear its like reading the front page of this board about the Steelers offense!!!

:chuckle::rofl:

revefsreleets
10-15-2009, 01:52 PM
I wonder if the Rats forums are littered with ignorant posters who know little or nothing about football clamoring to "Fire Cam Cameron!"

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I wonder if the Rats forums are littered with ignorant posters who know little or nothing about football clamoring to "Fire Cam Cameron!"

Of course they do. :rofl:

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/14357-when-will-cam-cameron-stop-vying-for-a-head-coaching-spot-in-his-play-calling-and-actually-care-about-the-ravens/

Ravnet
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM

What is this a reference to?

Crow-Magnon
10-15-2009, 04:16 PM
What is this a reference to?

Look at all the "Fire Arians!" threads in the Steelers Forum. :chuckle:

revefsreleets, three minutes after Cincy walked off the field I saw a "Fire Cam, Mattison and Harbaugh!" thread. :rofl:

X-Terminator
10-15-2009, 04:58 PM

revefsreleets, three minutes after Cincy walked off the field I saw a "Fire Cam, Mattison and Harbaugh!" thread. :rofl:

Nice to know we aren't the only ones who have a bunch of crybaby whiners on their message board. :chuckle:

Preacher
10-15-2009, 05:05 PM

:rofl:

I gotta agree with X-term here. Sure is nice to know we aren't the only ones with that problem!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Preach, check out that link to the Ravens forum......its like the bizarro world SF message board. :eyecrazy:

MasterOfPuppets
10-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Nice to know we aren't the only ones who have a bunch of crybaby whiners on their message board. :chuckle:
i've tried to tell ya that before... just go to ANY message board..particularly after a loss and you'll find they're all the same. idiots are world wide...:popcorn:

Ravnet
10-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I thought those threads were last year, when Pittsburgh's offense actually was not good until the final few minutes of each game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I thought those threads were last year, when Pittsburgh's offense actually was not good until the final few minutes of each game.

Nah, if we lose to the Bears, its because there was no running game to close out the lead and we passed too much. Then the next loss was because we didnt pass enough and run up a bigger lead.

Its weird that some people just cant ENJOY being a fan of a team and feel better if they yell irrational absurdities. :noidea:

Crow-Magnon
10-15-2009, 07:50 PM
i've tried to tell ya that before... just go to ANY message board..particularly after a loss and you'll find they're all the same. idiots are world wide...:popcorn:

True, but one thing you are lucky about here is that real trolls are exorcised out real quick. The one Ravens forum I frequent is the worst moderated (no, make that unmoderated) forum I've ever been on. There are so many trolls it's not funny. A win and they disappear; a loss and they all come out to gloat.

One reason I like this forum is because you can be outsider but still discuss the game with intelligence (mixed with a little heated ribbing on your team), but the gang of idiots are kicked out ASAP.

Preacher
10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Preach, check out that link to the Ravens forum......its like the bizarro world SF message board. :eyecrazy:

:rofl: Its the OC. We need to run the ball more. No, we need to pass the ball. No, we just need to win. No, its THE EXECUTION.

HILARIOUS. It is JUST like this board!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2009, 10:22 PM
True, but one thing you are lucky about here is that real trolls are exorcised out real quick. The one Ravens forum I frequent is the worst moderated (no, make that unmoderated) forum I've ever been on. There are so many trolls it's not funny. A win and they disappear; a loss and they all come out to gloat.

One reason I like this forum is because you can be outsider but still discuss the game with intelligence (mixed with a little heated ribbing on your team), but the gang of idiots are kicked out ASAP.

Yeah, the mods kick ass here!! But speaking of trolls.........for a Browns game week, there has been nobody around poking their head in yet.

43Hitman
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah, the mods kick ass here!! But speaking of trolls.........for a Browns game week, there has been nobody around poking their head in yet.

They know what is going to happen this Sunday Bloody Sunday. :tt03: