PDA

View Full Version : Miller's in the 'Money'

Galax Steeler
10-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Tuesday October 13, 2009 12:10 AM

Several Steelers have catchy nicknames, but none more fitting than Heath Miller’s.

Ben Roethlisberger is “Big Ben.”

James Harrison is “Deebo.”

Brett Keisel is “Diesel.”

Casey Hampton is “Big Snack.”

But when Miller’s teammates at the University of Virginia started calling him “Big Money,” they gave him a very appropriate nickname.

When he played for the Cavaliers, Miller was a pass-catching machine with 71 receptions as a junior and 41 as a senior when he won the Mackey Award as the best tight end in the country.

Since coming to Pittsburgh as a first-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, the Steelers have long regarded him as one of the most complete tight ends in the league.

Through his first four pro seasons, Miller has posted respectable pass-catching numbers while excelling as a blocker. This year, Miller has been outstanding in both areas.

Since signing a lucrative contract extension right before the start of training camp, Miller has indeed been “Big Money.”

With 29 catches, he ranks seventh in the NFL. He also leads the Steelers with three touchdown catches.

He is proving the Steelers right for signing him to a six-year extension worth $35.3 million, a $12.5 million signing bonus included.

After signing his new deal, the soft-spoken Miller was asked if he would demand that more passes be thrown in his direction.

“No,” said Miller, who’s caught 39, 34, 47 and 49 passes, respectively, the past four years. “But I did negotiate for less media time.”

With the way he’s playing, Miller will likely get more press.

Right now, the only tight end in the league with more catches is Indianapolis’ Dallas Clark with 35. San Diego’s Antonio Gates isn’t far behind with 24, and the Chargers didn’t play this past weekend.

Still, this could be the year Miller finally makes it to the Pro Bowl.

“I’ve always felt he’s the best tight end in the AFC,” Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said.

“When he’s blocking, he’s like another lineman, and when he’s out in pass patterns he’s another receiver,” Roethlisberger said. “We’ve been throwing the ball a lot, and he’s been a focal point of this offense. He’s been getting open.”

At his current pace, Miller would finish with 93 catches. That would shatter the Steelers’ record for a tight end set in by Eric Green when he caught 63 passes in 1993.

While that projection of 93 is 44 more than he caught last year, the Steelers have become a passing team. Roethlisberger is second in the league in passing yards, first in completion percentage and he’s spreading the ball around to wide receivers Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace, and to Miller.

“To tell you the truth, I haven’t even thought about the Pro Bowl,” Miller said. “That’s too far down the line. If it happens, that would be great. But I’m more concerned about helping this team win and helping us get back to the Super Bowl.

“The way I look at it, when you get your opportunities, you make the most of them.”

So far, “Big Money” is doing just that.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/october/13/millers-in-the-m

stillers4me
10-13-2009, 05:44 AM
Heath and Melwelde Moore are 2 of my favorite unsung heroes on this team.

jev7452
10-13-2009, 06:05 AM
HEEAAAATTTTHHHHHH!! love this guy and i think this is what all steelers fans have been saying for awhile

VinnySteel
10-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I was watching the replay of the San Diego game and on one of Mendenhall's long runs, Heath was down field blocking for him, which was awesome enough. But they showed the alternate angle replay, and Heath blocked a guy to spring Mendenhall at the line. So this guy blocks at the line, then runs downfield to get another block! Amazing! How many times do you see blockers block their guy until the back runs past then stand around and watch? That to me just exemplifies team player and he is a huge asset to this team.

fansince'76
10-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I remember when we resigned Miller a couple of months ago, a few people thought we gave up to much to keep him. Don't see them here now.

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2009, 08:55 AM
There isn't a TE in the NFL that I'd trade Heath for.

Christian Snyder
10-13-2009, 08:57 AM
There isn't a TE in the NFL that I'd trade Heath for. Agreed.:tt04:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-13-2009, 09:17 AM
After signing his new deal, the soft-spoken Miller was asked if he would demand that more passes be thrown in his direction.

“No,” said Miller, who’s caught 39, 34, 47 and 49 passes, respectively, the past four years. “But I did negotiate for less media time

:chuckle:

sherlock
10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I`d always thought his nickname was HEEEEAAAAATH! :chuckle:

Indo
10-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Arians is wrong

Heath is the Best TE in the League

cape
10-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I like miller... great hands, great blocker, great man... I want to get a 83 shirt for my little kid (17 months) but I don't know where can get it here in Italy, for the shipping...

sherlock
10-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I like miller... great hands, great blocker, great man... I want to get a 83 shirt for my little kid (17 months) but I don't know where can get it here in Italy, for the shipping...

Hello cape
If Italy`s anything like the UK it will be very difficult to get an 83 jersey(especially a child`s) so you will probably have to get one in the States....then pay shipping and import duty!:doh:

There`s a youth 83 here.
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3123512&cp=716704.2237732.2238707&page=2&page_bucket=0&PAGES_PER_BUCKET=10&pageType=family&num_buckets=1&pageNum=1&pageDisplay=actfam&totalProductsCount=39&hasPagination=false&pageBucket=0&int_prevBucket=-1&showSizeSearch=false&PRODUCTS_PER_PAGE=9&int_nextBucket=0&pageCount=5&parentPage=family

cape
10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
thanks... from us the shipping cost are more than shirt price! :chuckle:

MillerMania83
10-13-2009, 08:46 PM
][/B][/I]There isn't a TE in the NFL that I'd trade Heath for.

TOTALLY AGREE, Heath is the BEST TE in the league IMO, and when he's ot on the field, he is $$$$.

onefortheotherhand
10-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Arians is wrong

Heath is the Best TE i-...

hey imma let you finish but heath miller is the best tight end IN THA WORLD.

:noidea:

Galax Steeler
10-14-2009, 04:13 AM
It is great to see Heath having a great year. I hope he continues to get passes thrown his way. He for sure ranks up there with the best tight ends in the league.

gosteeler
10-14-2009, 09:35 AM
a couple months ago i posted on here that heath would leave after his first contract was up!! around here in his home town all his family members and friends kept saying he was leaving but I told them to not count on it!! its hard to leave a team with a great QB and a chance to win a super bowl every year!!

I hoped he would resign and retire a steeler!!!

couldn't be happier

Angina
10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Personally, I like Miller's work ethic and humility. There's so much arrogance in professional athletes these days, it's an added benefit being a Steeler fan and being able to point out players like Heath Miller and Troy Polamalu and others to our son.

Steelers Rock!!!! :tt02:

Angina