PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's press conference "Aaron Smith has "potentially significant" shoulder injury

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
just on live - no link up yet

Eason/Hood/Kirschke - come on down

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Well, that sucks a nice big fat one. That's possibly the one guy other than Ben or Troy that we can't afford to lose.

Let's hope our #1 draft pick is ready to do something.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Tomlin scared me this time. It sounds like more tests will determine how long he's out.

Keep your fingers crossed.

We saw what happened to our run D the last time he went down.

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Alright...I'll move this here....

sad...Smith is integral to our defense.

Hope Zig steps up BIG TIME!

Thank Christ we're playing our little bitches this week...

Steel_Bus_24
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Wow, the hits just keep on coming, ..fffing Madden Cover:mad:

we really need him against AP and the vikes

please be ok

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Aaron Smith out with shoulder injury

Tuesday, October 13, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Just as the Steelers welcome the possible return of safety Troy Polamalu this week, it appears they have lost the services of defensive end Aaron Smith.

Smith's right shoulder was injured in Detroit Sunday and coach Mike Tomlin said today it "potentially could be significant."

Tomlin said the injury potentially could keep Smith out for awhile, pending the result of tests today.

The Steelers regard Smith as the best 3-4 end in football.

Tomlin said Ziggy Hood, their first-round draft choice, is not yet ready to replace Smith as the starter and they would do so "by committee."

Jackal
10-13-2009, 12:10 PM
:banging::banging::banging:UURRRRGGGHHHH!!!! :banging::banging::banging:

BlastFurnace
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Not good. Looks like Nick Eason will be active soon.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 12:20 PM
All the injury news from the presser:

Steelers' Polamalu, Parker back, but Smith likely out against Browns

Strong safety Troy Polamalu and running back Willie Parker could return to action Sunday but the Steelers are expected to be without defensive end Aaron Smith when they host the Browns.

And Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Smith may be out for an extended period of time because of a shoulder injury he sustained in last Sunday's 28-20 win over the Lions.

"Potentially could be significant," Tomlin said of Smith's injury.

If Smith is unable to play Sunday the Steelers will use a rotation of Travis Kirschke, Ziggy Hood and Nick Eason, Tomlin said.

Polamalu and Parker are slated to practice tomorrow and Tomlin sounded optimistic that the Steelers will have both players for the game against the Browns.

"It will be really interesting to see how they respond Thursday," Tomlin said of Polamalu and Parker.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_647786.html?feed=9

Dino 6 Rings
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
against Lewis and the Browns offense...I think we should be able to manage without Smith for one game. And in fact, as long as he makes it back in time for the playoffs, I'm not going to panic. I'd like to see our entire defense healthy and geared up for the game in 2 weeks against the Vikings, but if he needs to sit longer, than so be it.

Christian Snyder
10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Hopefully he will be back for the Vikings game....

Dizzle43
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
This is a big blow! Let's hope we can get him back before the end of the season!!

tyler289
10-13-2009, 12:29 PM
If Smith is out, hopefully Ziggy steps up and plays well.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Tomlin said Ziggy Hood, their first-round draft choice, is not yet ready to replace Smith as the starter and they would do so "by committee."

Not much of a confidence vote there

Steelman16
10-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Smith is such a tough nut! Did any of us fans have any clue he was hurt during the game?

I expect he'll be back within 4 weeks. Hopefully sooner.

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Wait, it says Parker's coming back now too? Well, that's equivalent to an injury at the running back position. Do they make #39 voodoo dolls, and can I get one before the end of the week?

GridironWarrior
10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Man this stinks! Hes the best 3-4 DE in the NFL. What time will the results be in? I hope Ziggy can grow up real fast. Hampton and Keisel are going to have to step up as well. Keisel needs to show why he got that extension. Can we clone Troy and move him to DE, lol?

Edman
10-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Pass Defense is shored up (We get Troy back), But Run Defense takes a hit (We lose Smith)

We can replace Keisel and Hampton fine, but Smith is just irreplacable. We all saw what happened in 2007.

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
We can replace Keisel and Hampton fine, but Smith is just irreplacable. We all saw what happened in 2007.

I hope not. I'm just praying that the difference between 2007 and this year is that back then, we just had average generic backups, but this time around, maybe the new guy Hood is able to still play at a high level.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Timmons better be ready - they are gonna run right at him.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 01:51 PM
I expect he'll be back within 4 weeks. Hopefully sooner.

I dunno

I've never heard Tomlin sound so doom&gloom about an injury.

I predict he'll be out for at least 3 months. Maybe be ready for the "playoffs".

Write that down.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I hate it when I'm right

per Wexell on twitter

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Rotator cuff surgery on Friday.

Out for 3 months

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, not good....but I hope that Kirschke is healthy. With a rotation of Kirschke, Hood and Eason they should be able to plug some holes and expect Woodley to step up a bit more.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Smith to undergo surgery
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Oct 13, 2009

The news is in on Aaron Smith, and it's almost as bad as feared.

A source with the Pittsburgh Steelers revealed to SteelCityInsider.com that Aaron Smith will undergo surgery on his right rotator cuff Friday, and that he won't be able to play for at least three months.

That leaves the Steelers' valuable defensive left end out of action until the middle of January, meaning Mike Tomlin will have to make a decision similar to the one Bill Cowher made in 1995 with Rod Woodson, when Cowher left open a roster spot until the Super Bowl that season.

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, this is exactly why we drafted a DL #1...

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Steelers | Rotation will be used to replace A. Smith

Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:48:06 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said DL Travis Kirschke (back), DL Nick Eason and DL Evander Hood would be used to help fill the void left by injured DL Aaron Smith (shoulder).

RunWillieRun
10-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Time for someone to step up!

No excuses.

OneForTheToe
10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
IDK. three months seems a bit early for tater cuff injury. I know people that are down three months who don't have to take on 300+ linemen. Iguess it depends on the extent?

Where is Orpheus Roye right now?

At the very least, I am glad we kept both Kirshkie and Eason along with Ziggy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
My guess is that he ends up on IR and RaShon Harris gets signed.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Calling.....anyone.......Richard Seymour?

Steelman16
10-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Man, didn't think it was a rotater cuff. Ouch. :doh:

We all know what Eason and Kirschke can do; so maybe Ziggy will be a pleasant surprise even in his limited snaps.

I'd have to assume we'd try to sign Harris now.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm patiently waiting for the "trade Sweed" rumors.

RunWillieRun
10-13-2009, 02:24 PM

I'm patiently waiting for the 'Sweed Traded" announcement.

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Why would we trade him? He's not worth anything to anybody (including us). And we CERTAINLY aren't going to replace a stud 3-4 DE with anybody we get in return for a WR who can't actually catch.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Well, we'll have to score 45 pts a game from now on.

The 5 WIDE!!! bandwagon still has a few seats left.

Giddy-up

RunWillieRun
10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Why would we trade him? He's not worth anything to anybody (including us). And we CERTAINLY aren't going to replace a stud 3-4 DE with anybody we get in return for a WR who can't actually catch.

You're such a downer, rev. :flap:

OneForTheToe
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
John Kuhn, defensive end.

steel striker
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Man what a huge loss this is and, I hope someone steps up to fill in. Aaron get well soon. We will miss you.

El-Gonzo Jackson
Calling.....anyone.......Richard Seymour?

Nah, Al Davis wants to watch him live out his contract and sign elsewhere just so he can get zero value for his trade........just like the Randy Moss deal.

I say we live with Hood, Kirschke, Eason and sign RaShon Harris.

revefsreleets
You're such a downer, rev. :flap:

I supported Ike when no one did.

I supported Timmons when others wouldn't.

I supported Mendy when others (who hadn't even seen him really run!) called him a bust.

I'm currently sticking up for Woodley as he's getting (wrongly) attacked.

I've supported Parker.

I've lent Starks support while others were busy blasting away.

But Sweed has shown me NOTHING.

TheWarDen86
10-13-2009, 02:42 PM
John Kuhn, defensive end.

:rofl:

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd have to assume we'd try to sign Harris now.

He turned us down the last time and re-signed onto the Panthers practice squad.

Cheppy
10-13-2009, 02:47 PM
This is terrible.

TheWarDen86
10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
He turned us down the last time and re-signed onto the Panthers practice squad.

Would've had to have been been the active roster (which I believe it was). Otherwise, unless I'm mistaken, we can go get him.

Nick Eason has the size and experience to fill the spot. Granted, he's no where near the caliber of player that Aaron is, but hopefully he can at least occupy a couple blockers so to give Woodley a shot at the QB.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Just when the pass defense might get Troy back to stop the bleeding - the run defense blows a motor.

How depressing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Would've had to have been been the active roster (which I believe it was). Otherwise, unless I'm mistaken, we can go get him.

Nick Eason has the size and experience to fill the spot. Granted, he's no where near the caliber of player that Aaron is, but hopefully he can at least occupy a couple blockers so to give Woodley a shot at the QB.

I'm with you that all we need is a combination of Hood, Kirschke and Eason to eat up some blockers and they can do that job. Smith is better than all 3, but they can handle the loss.

I guess Sonny Harris has a better shot with the Panthers than the burgh long term.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 03:07 PM
:banging:

anyone notice when he got hurt? i dont recall him leaving the field for any significant time.

last time he had his shoulder injured he finished the game and didnt really miss a beat.

dude is tough as nails and hopefully the steelers take on a "win 1 for the gipper" mentality.

heres hoping ziggy hood shows some "mike wallace" rookie flash.

revefsreleets
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't see Harris ON the Panthers roster...he WAS active for at least a couple games with them, so we couldn't sign him from their active roster, but it looks like he's back on their PS now.

Only an IDIOT would stay on a teams practice squad with an offer to sign and play for another team.

GridironWarrior
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Keisel better show why he got that extension. Man this is sad to hear. Bad year for injuries so far.

Steel_Bus_24
10-13-2009, 03:21 PM
man its that ffffffffing Madden Cover...........

its about time that sh** to switch to the Cards now...its wrecked enough damage on us for the year

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't see Harris ON the Panthers roster...he WAS active for at least a couple games with them, so we couldn't sign him from their active roster, but it looks like he's back on their PS now.

Only an IDIOT would stay on a teams practice squad with an offer to sign and play for another team.
he was on thier active roster and got a few reps for i think 2 games, then they cut him and signed him to the ps.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
:banging:

anyone notice when he got hurt? i dont recall him leaving the field for any significant time.

last time he had his shoulder injured he finished the game and didnt really miss a beat.

dude is tough as nails and hopefully the steelers take on a "win 1 for the gipper" mentality.

heres hoping ziggy hood shows some "mike wallace" rookie flash.

I noticed Hood in what i thought was the late 3rd or early 4th quarter. He seemed to be handfighting with the O lineman and not getting upfield much. I thought they were just getting him some playing time.

I think Hood likes to get upfield, but still needs to learn to get upfield and drag an O lineman with him in the process. Tough to replace Smith, but confident of the group we have backing up.

Cheppy
10-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Tomlin's Press Conference: http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoid=102437

Depressing.

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 03:51 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. We present him with a chance to be on the active roster for real -- you know, actually "make the team" for the rest of the year -- and he'd have to be a fool to pass it up.

Not to mention, long-term, the Steelers should be an excellent opportunity for him to transition into a starting job (assuming he's got what it takes). All three of our line spots need to be replenished soon.

And I hate to say it, but that makes two severe, probably season-ending injuries for Smith in three years. You have to worry if maybe the wear and tear really is taking its toll, and we'll need to find a replacement sooner than we want to. I hope not, but I've seen the same thing happen to other players enough times to be VERY concerned.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 03:56 PM
I noticed Hood in what i thought was the late 3rd or early 4th quarter.yeah, thats the 1 time i really noticed him in there because there was a great shot of the #96 on his back as he was chasing down the runner. (he was coming from b. kiesels side).

i didnt think much of it other than "woah, ziggy hoods first (?) play". i dont even know if smith was out after that (you think it would be announced just like when essex left the field- which it wasnt).

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 04:04 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. We present him with a chance to be on the active roster for real -- you know, actually "make the team" for the rest of the year -- and he'd have to be a fool to pass it up.

from jim wexell on oct. 6-

@cdhe Steelers had another chance to sign Harris to 53, but chose Eason instead. In fact, they could do it today, any day, if they wanted.

and oct. 3-

RaShon Harris spurned an offer to sign with the Steelers' practice squad to instead sign with Carolina's.

nothing against the steelers, he just felt his best opportunity to see the field would be with the panthers. even if he was on the roster with the steelers, he would still be considered a project and be buried on the depth chart.

Cheppy
10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Smith to undergo surgery

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/77717/478584.jpg

A source with the Pittsburgh Steelers revealed to SteelCityInsider.com that Aaron Smith will undergo surgery on his right rotator cuff on Friday, and that he won't be able to play for at least three months.
That would leave the Steelers' valuable defensive left end unavailable until the middle of January, meaning Mike Tomlin must make a decision similar to the one Bill Cowher faced in 1995, when he did not put Woodson on season-ending injured reserve and left open a roster space for Rod Woodson, who made it back for that season's Super Bowl after tearing an ACL in the opener.

Tomlin said Smith suffered the injury Sunday against the Detroit Lions, but was not specific. Smith, typically a three-down player, first left the game with 12:14 remaining in the third quarter on a 3rd-and-15 play. Travis Kirschke and first-round draft pick Ziggy Hood replaced Smith for the next three snaps, but Smith returned with 9:52 left in the third and played four snaps, including a field-goal attempt during which Smith raised his right arm in an attempt to block the kick.

With 6:00 left in the third, a quarter in which the Steelers had only five offensive snaps, Smith returned, and at times extended only his left arm. He was replaced by Hood with 4:30 left in the third, returned with 2:47 left in the third for one play, and was again replaced by Hood. Smith came back for a final play with 1:25 left in the third on 3rd-and-7, which the Lions converted with a run by fullback Jerome Felton. Smith was blocked easily on the play and didn't return.

Tomlin was asked today whether Hood would replace Smith in the starting lineup Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

"He's a young guy that's on the come," Tomlin said. "He's got a lot of talent. He's not out of the oven yet ... By no means is Ziggy Hood a replacement for Aaron Smith at this point. It'll probably be a committee of bodies who'll try to fill that void?"

A committee?

"The usual suspects: Travis Kirschke, Nick Eason, Ziggy Hood," Tomlin said.

Smith, 33, missed the last three games of the 2007 regular season, and then the playoff game, with a torn biceps. The Steelers lost three of the four games when Eason, then a newcomer, and Kirschke split up the replacement duty and the defense allowed an average of 28 points per game. Both Kirschke and Eason, according to line coach John Mitchell, have improved significantly since that time.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 04:21 PM
thanks cheppy.

smith has got balls of steel.

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
nothing against the steelers, he just felt his best opportunity to see the field would be with the panthers. even if he was on the roster with the steelers, he would still be considered a project and be buried on the depth chart.

As opposed to staying with the Panthers and being buried to the point where he's not even ON the depth chart? Sorry, but I guess I don't understand the logic behind that.

Also, signing to an active roster would have the added benefit that if he sticks around for 6 more games, he'd have enough service that he'd be guaranteed an active roster spot from then on by whoever signed him. No more practice squad for him, ever. You only have to look as far as Jason Capizzi or Justin Vincent to know that if you get the opportunity to make that jump, you ought to take it.

Preacher
10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
I am wrong to be excited about this in a positive way?

I think this is a great chance for Ziggy to show himself. Will we be as strong without Smith as with him? Nope. But the engine'll keep turning!

Come on Ziggy!

http://beachcave.net/comics/Ziggy-2004.07.03.gif

OX1947
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM

I think this is a great chance for Ziggy to show himself. Will we be as strong without Smith as with him? Nope. But the engine'll keep turning!

Come on Ziggy!

I wish I could be as hopeful, but we are talking about the best defensive lineman for the steelers since the steel curtain. When Aaron Smith isn't playing, teams run on us like we are the colts. I am praying they can cover this time.

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Come on Ziggy!

The only thing I can think of is the end of the 2007 season, when our run defense just fell apart. I'm dreading how things will go if that happens again.

I do think we're better prepared to handle it now than we were two years ago, but I wouldn't call myself "excited" about seeing Hood. More like "nervous" with a little bit of hope thrown in. I'm sure Hood will show us good things at times, but this is not how I would've liked it to happen.

Ahh well, what's done is done, so nothing to do but watch what happens and hope for the best. C'mon, Ziggy!

stillers4me
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
This is huge.

I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks just how big this really is.

I'm so depressed. Get well soon, Big Aaron.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
many people hoped we would/could have taken the 7th highest rated tackle or the 3rd best center in the draft with the 32nd pick.

many wondered why we would take ziggy hood. this is exactly why.

p. jerry is out for the year, and im not sure exactly what impact bj raji has had for the packers.

im taking the positive approach and hoping z. hood is afforded the opportunity to prove he was the best DT (now playing DE) available in the draft.

its time to make our FO and coaching staff look like geniuses. (for those who remember, a. smith spoke very highly of z. hood in camp and pre-season).

:tt02:

steeltheone
10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
May be some fall off due to experience But you can't tell me a 30 something dl is that much better than a rookie number one.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
May be some fall off due to experience But you can't tell me a 30 something dl is that much better than a rookie number one.not in physical skill...

its just that lebeaus system is so complex and tough to learn.

good thing hood is smart.

LukesDad88
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Ok, we'll have to go with Kirschke, Eason, and Hood in a rotation keeping them fresh. Hopefully, having fresh lineman in late in the game will help make up for the skill that Smith brings to the table.

Timmons is going to have to play more of a run support role than he has, I still trust Farrior in that role, too. We may have to dial down some of the more exotic blitzes with Polamalu and keep him in centerfield a little more.

The good news is that it appears we have an offense that can keep up with any other offense in the league right now. This really puts more pressure on Ben and Mendenhall. I wasn't one calling for Mendenhall to become the starter after two good games against two bad defenses, especially as Parker looked pretty decent in his last game. I was hoping for a little more of a split between the two, but I think that Mendenhall has a better chance of responding to the pressure better than Parker, and this injury definitely puts more pressure on the offense to produce.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 05:27 PM
As opposed to staying with the Panthers and being buried to the point where he's not even ON the depth chart? Sorry, but I guess I don't understand the logic behind that.

I think the logic is that in Pittsburgh, Harris will be a DE that, in the long run is behind #1 Pick Hood, Keisel with a new contract, Aaron Smith for at least 1 more year and Eason.

In Carolina Harris probably has a chance to start next season at DT if he can learn their system and beat out Nick Hayden.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 05:31 PM
not in physical skill...

its just that lebeaus system is so complex and tough to learn.

good thing hood is smart.

I think John Mitchell still has to knock a lot of the old habits from Hood. IMO, Ziggy is used to playing a 4-3... 1 gap, getting upfield and causing havoc in the backfield if possible.

He's only had 3 months to get used to playing 2 gaps in a 3-4, being responsible for gap cancellation, rather than just picking a gap and going. Kirschke really impressed last season in the time he had and Eason has improved. I think the 3 of them will be a decent rotation to fill in for Smith.

AllD
10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Tune-up against the Clowns will show us something.

BlastFurnace
10-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Come on Ziggy!

I think we can look at it as a positive that Hood will get more playing time that rookies on defense usually don't get with us. It will make him more prepared for next year.

We may not feel that way when Adrian Peterson runs against us though.

The unfortunate thing is that Kirschke has back problems as well. Not sure how serious, but he has them.

It's going to be the Nick and Ziggy show primarily. I have confidence in Eason.

As Tomlin says...it's a game of attrition. Injuries happen. The Steelers will just have to fight through it.

Steel_Bus_24
10-13-2009, 05:49 PM
This is a huge blow, and Im already uneasy thinking about some of the run games we'll face

AP is a freak, Balt(Most Importantly) has a pretty nasty stacked/unbalanced line formation, and Mia is legit with the wildcat

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM

I think this is a great chance for Ziggy to show himself.
Come on Ziggy!

Sign me up for the Ziggy prayer breakfast.

What the hell - he doesn't need to rush the passer - just stand stout at the line and don't let anyone pass.

Timmons and Woodley better step up on the left side of the defense and make some plays.

I have spoken

Psyychoward86
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
oh god, i hope our defense doesnt break down like in '07 when we lost him...

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I think John Mitchell still has to knock a lot of the old habits from Hood. IMO, Ziggy is used to playing a 4-3... 1 gap, getting upfield and causing havoc in the backfield if possible.

He's only had 3 months to get used to playing 2 gaps in a 3-4, being responsible for gap cancellation, rather than just picking a gap and going. Kirschke really impressed last season in the time he had and Eason has improved. I think the 3 of them will be a decent rotation to fill in for Smith.thats a great point. kirschke has paid his dues, been in this system for a number of years and is well regarded and trusted by his teammmates. like some talking head said last week, the lions would love to have him back.

a rookie learning a new system will not unseat him as the primary back up.

the rotation will be strong. i guess ziggy will probably be brought in on known 3rd and long passing downs (a roll many predicted he would have before a. smiths injury).

steelreserve
10-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I think the logic is that in Pittsburgh, Harris will be a DE that, in the long run is behind #1 Pick Hood, Keisel with a new contract, Aaron Smith for at least 1 more year and Eason.

In Carolina Harris probably has a chance to start next season at DT if he can learn their system and beat out Nick Hayden.

I guess. But maybe not, too. Who knows, maybe Carolina drafts another DL or signs one as a free agent. Or maybe Smith doesn't come back, or Hampton leaves and we try to use Hood as a stopgap NT, or any number of about 20 different possibilities that could give him an opportunity with Pittsburgh. Hell, what if Harris himself gets injured while on the practice squad and comes away with nothing to show for it?

Not saying I'm banking on any of those things actually happening, but the point is if he knows anything, he ought to know that predicting where opportunities will open up in the NFL is a crapshoot at best. If I was in his shoes, I'd say if you're offered the chance to crack an active roster, you've got to seize it then and there, or else who the hell knows, it might never come again. That's all I'm saying here.

OneForTheToe
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
May be some fall off due to experience But you can't tell me a 30 something dl is that much better than a rookie number one.

You are talking about the best 3/4 defensive end (along with Seymore) in the league, IMO. So, yes, I'd say he is that much better. Being a number one draft pick doesn't mean diddly doo to me unless you prove it on the field, which hopefully Ziggy will someday.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I guess. But maybe not, too. Who knows, maybe Carolina drafts another DL or signs one as a free agent. Or maybe Smith doesn't come back, or Hampton leaves and we try to use Hood as a stopgap NT, or any number of about 20 different possibilities that could give him an opportunity with Pittsburgh. Hell, what if Harris himself gets injured while on the practice squad and comes away with nothing to show for it?

Not saying I'm banking on any of those things actually happening, but the point is if he knows anything, he ought to know that predicting where opportunities will open up in the NFL is a crapshoot at best. If I was in his shoes, I'd say if you're offered the chance to crack an active roster, you've got to seize it then and there, or else who the hell knows, it might never come again. That's all I'm saying here.

I'm not trying to understand Harris' situation and make judgement. Just suggesting that his choice to stay in Carolina does make some sense.

The Chargers and Dolphins had a backup QB from Montana that was 1/2 a season away from qualifying for an NFL pension......Dave Dickinson chose to quit holding a clipboard in the NFL and go play in Canada for probably $300-400k a season. Some would say he made the wrong decision quitting the NFL and the money, but he just wanted to play.

X-Terminator
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
To say that this is not good would be an understatement.

Other guys are going to have to step up. It's as simple as that.

Preacher
10-13-2009, 06:52 PM
thats a great point. kirschke has paid his dues, been in this system for a number of years and is well regarded and trusted by his teammmates. like some talking head said last week, the lions would love to have him back.

a rookie learning a new system will not unseat him as the primary back up.

the rotation will be strong. i guess ziggy will probably be brought in on known 3rd and long passing downs (a roll many predicted he would have before a. smiths injury).

Yep... I can see that same thing... plus Ziggy getting a few series under his belt here and there.

However, I like the idea of Ziggy on long passing downs. That kid is FAST. You can possibly even drop him into coverage against some of the TE's that have been burning us, with a LB playing the short middle zone to cover over top.

WindyCitySteelerFan
10-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, this sucks...

LVSteelersfan
10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Too bad we can't put all three of them in there at the same time. That might make up for the loss of Smith. He is that good. I remember Fred Taylor and MJD torching us a couple years ago when Smith was not playing. I hope that is not the case when we play the Vikings. AP could have a big day.

klick81
10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Jeez man...someone better step it up here. Smith is invaluable.

steeltheone
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
He is 33 going on 34 years old. I'm just not sold that he is as key as this board makes him out to be.

klick81
10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
He is 33 going on 34 years old. I'm just not sold that he is as key as this board makes him out to be.

Have you been watching the past 30-50 games?

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Don't get me wrong.

Troy and Aaron Smith have proved they are the linchpins in the pass and run defenses.

This is not a good thing.

MillerMania83
10-13-2009, 08:31 PM
BIG TIME BUMMER, THIS IS NOT GOOD AT ALL....But as the coach says, NO EXCUSES....Time for someone to step up and make the plays, OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS....Smith is a special player, it ain't gonna be easy, but HOPEFULLY someone takes advantage of being given this chance....Hood and Eason, ehhh, I'll say Kirschke GETS THE JOB DONE!!!

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 08:37 PM

production matters.

just as troy matters.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Nick Eason will be Defensive Player of the Week - you watch

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Nick Eason will be Defensive Player of the Week - you watch

in the voice of kenny mayne... "he's young".

(not to mention the coaches will scheme him to perfection... its just up to him to execute to the level of a. smith)

steelpride12
10-13-2009, 09:48 PM
sighhh the most underrated and the best IMO 3-4 defensive end out for possibly a long amount of time shoot. Well last season the back up's held their own and I hope again they can help the D line out!

devilsdancefloor
10-13-2009, 11:49 PM
well everyone wants to trade limas... well why not go get glenn dorsey (that sound you hear is a big sigh) This is huge Im guessing he goes on IR and if Harris removes his head from his rectum he would realize he would be better of in the burgh.... anyway depressed about the news especially since we face the vikings in 2 weeks.. heal fast big man! Prayers for you on a speedy recovery & a safe surgery!

Galax Steeler
10-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Wow this is a huge loss for us we are just going to have to work through this. We need guys to step up and play some hard nosed football. This will also be a chance for Ziggy to get some playing time which is good but he didn't need it because of this.

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Steelers' worst fear confirmed: Aaron Smith out for the season

Tests taken Monday on Aaron Smith's right shoulder confirmed the worst for the veteran defensive end and the Steelers.

Smith sustained a season-ending injury, and the Steelers placed him on injured reserve. Sonny Harris was signed to take Smith's place on the 53-man roster.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow this is a huge loss for us we are just going to have to work through this. We need guys to step up and play some hard nosed football. This will also be a chance for Ziggy to get some playing time which is good but he didn't need it because of this.

Like I said before - Timmon and Woodley have to hold the line on the left side.

Prepare to get run on....which could be a good thing considering how bad our pass defense has looked.

steelreserve
10-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Also, does anyone worry that this is the second major, season-ending injury Smith has suffered in the past three years? I hope he's not slowed down permanently or even has to retire. Either one of those is a scary thought.

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Also, does anyone worry that this is the second major, season-ending injury Smith has suffered in the past three years? I hope he's not slowed down permanently or even has to retire. Either one of those is a scary thought.

Nope - not worried at all.

Unrelated injuries.

He tore a biceps muscle in 2007, now it's a shoulder.

Not something that can't be repaired and come back 100% yet again.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Said this elsewhere, but bears repeating. Let the subs play to their respective strengths. I think Hood should get the bulk of the 3rd down/passing down looks. Of course, according to some, since I haven't even coached High School, my opinion means nothing, but that pretty much means nobody else's around here does either...

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
my opinion means nothing, but that pretty much means nobody else's around here does either...

boo-hoo

Don't even try and drag the rest of us down to your level.

I was wrong once - it was a couple of years ago, so I can't really remember...

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 01:37 PM
boo-hoo

I was wrong about Ryan Leaf.

I MAY be wrong about Flacco...that's still TBD. What's important is that I have some high school coaching experience. Why no one else has to have in order to prognosticate, I'm not sure of, but I can only speak for myself...

Cheppy
10-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Of course, according to some, since I haven't even coached High School, my opinion means nothing, but that pretty much means nobody else's around here does either...

Sounds ironically familiar.

steelreserve
10-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Nope - not worried at all.

Unrelated injuries.

He tore a biceps muscle in 2007, now it's a shoulder.

Not something that can't be repaired and come back 100% yet again.

It's not that I'm worried about a specific recurring injury derailing him. More like the possibility that he's taken such a beating for so long that it's wearing him down in general. As in, this year it's a shoulder injury, next year it's a stress fracture in your foot, then a nagging knee injury or a nagging back injury, and for no reason other than all the fighting and colliding has added up and stressed a lot of your body near the breaking point.

Obviously I'm not a doctor and I don't know whether or not any of that is the case, but that's what you worry about. That or the possibility that he decides screw it, I don't want to go through the punishment of the season again, and just walks away on his own. Which, again, I admit I have no idea about, but as a fan, that's what you worry about.

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 01:43 PM
As a fan - I worry about winning our division THIS year.

Next year will take care of itself.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Of course, conversely, to some, coaching high school equates to possessing football wisdom and acumen above question, so...I don't know. i think I'll just ignore the snide jackass remarks and carry on carrying on...

The_WARDen
10-14-2009, 01:48 PM
boo-hoo

I mistakenly thought I was wrong once.

steelreserve
10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
As a fan - I worry about winning our division THIS year.

Next year will take care of itself.

Fair enough. No sense worrying yourself silly about the future, which is unpredictable as hell in the NFL anyway.

But as a fan, you also root for the players you've come to know and love, which is probably why I feel that way. Yeah, the team may be prepared to deal with it, and eventually we're going to see Smith hang it up anyway, but whenever and whyever that happens, that won't make it any less weird to see him .. you know, NOT in the game anymore. I guess you just hope for guys to do as well as they can and stick around for as long as they can. Except Parker.

Is "whyever" even a real word?

Cheppy
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
I was in good spirits just yesterday with the thought of Troy coming back to shake off some rust against the Browns before their big game against the Vikings. Then this happens.

Going to work sucked this morning.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Fair enough. No sense worrying yourself silly about the future, which is unpredictable as hell in the NFL anyway.

But as a fan, you also root for the players you've come to know and love, which is probably why I feel that way. Yeah, the team may be prepared to deal with it, and eventually we're going to see Smith hang it up anyway, but whenever and whyever that happens, that won't make it any less weird to see him .. you know, NOT in the game anymore. I guess you just hope for guys to do as well as they can and stick around for as long as they can. Except Parker.

Is "whyever" even a real word?

I like Smith too as a player, but next season is gonna be something like his 12th in the NFL and its his final year of contract. I think he probably comes back for 1 more season at least, but think the Steelers have already decided the DE's of the future will be Keisel and Hood.

steelreserve
10-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I like Smith too as a player, but next season is gonna be something like his 12th in the NFL and its his final year of contract. I think he probably comes back for 1 more season at least, but think the Steelers have already decided the DE's of the future will be Keisel and Hood.

Yeah, I know. He wasn't going to be around too much longer no matter what. You just hate to lose a guy suddenly, and it would suck if it turned out he can't go out on his own terms.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I know. He wasn't going to be around too much longer no matter what. You just hate to lose a guy suddenly, and it would suck if it turned out he can't go out on his own terms.

IDK...11 years in the NFL, 2 SB rings, a pro bowl........for a 5th round pick from a small school who grew up in poverty, I would say he's probably appreciative of every second of it. He will be back next season.

steelreserve
10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
IDK...11 years in the NFL, 2 SB rings, a pro bowl........for a 5th round pick from a small school who grew up in poverty, I would say he's probably appreciative of every second of it. He will be back next season.

I don't doubt it. What would suck is if his body just gives out again because he's taken too many beatings over he course of 20-some years of football. Not saying that IS going to happen, but it would suck and I'm just a little worried for the guy, is all.

Cheppy
10-14-2009, 04:07 PM
I like Smith too as a player, but next season is gonna be something like his 12th in the NFL and its his final year of contract.

2011 is the final year of his contract.

LukesDad88
10-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Keisel isn't exactly a young gun, either. Only two years younger than Smith. No, you might have a year (maybe two) with Hood & Keisel, but the Steelers DE's of the future are Hood and somebody we haven't drafted yet.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
2011 is the final year of his contract.

Thanks, I thought 2010 was it, but I guess not. Either way, I dont know if he is gonna make it thru 2011, but I hope so.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Keisel isn't exactly a young gun, either. Only two years younger than Smith. No, you might have a year (maybe two) with Hood & Keisel, but the Steelers DE's of the future are Hood and somebody we haven't drafted yet.

Yeah, but Keisel has only really been starting for maybe 3 years now. The guy probably has another 4-5 years of playing ability left. I think Coach Mitchell said that he isnt exactly young, but isnt exactly worn down by years of play yet either.

Cheppy
10-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Keisel's been injury prone. Let's pray he doesn't go down for any length of time.

I need to rewatch Super Bowl XLIII.

Cheppy
10-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Steelers Locker Room: The Loss Of Aaron Smith

http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoid=102442

steelreserve
10-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Keisel's been injury prone. Let's pray he doesn't go down for any length of time.

I need to rewatch Super Bowl XLIII.

We do OK without Kiesel. He's good, but not indispensible like Smith. Kiesel was out for like 6 games last year and Hoke/Kirschke filled in for him just fine.

Having said that, I really hope we don't lose him THIS year. That would really f*** us up. Even with two good guys coming out of the draft, we'd be over a barrel.

Fire Haley
10-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Kirshke sucks - he can fill in for a play or two but that's about it. He was getting blown off the line by the Lions in the second half.

It will by Ziggy's job to fill that spot.

Cheppy
10-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Having said that, I really hope we don't lose him THIS year. That would really f*** us up. Even with two good guys coming out of the draft, we'd be over a barrel.

That's what I was referring to.