PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Sweed

SteelersWy
10-13-2009, 07:55 PM
This guy is horrible and needs to go. Way too many drops for a high draft pick. Sucker some team into a trade for a 3-4 round pick.

The Duke
10-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the....ah screw it

Having seen your first post I know you're not likely to contribute much here anyway

BadBradz24
10-13-2009, 08:05 PM
wallace is better but i dont want sweed to go just yet

Pittsky
10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the....ah screw it

Having seen your first post I know you're not likely to contribute much here anyway

:chuckle:

xvdougl
10-13-2009, 08:22 PM
I hated to see that drop in the Lions game. That would have been a tough catch for anyone but Limus has certainly dug himself a hole in his brief NFL career. I'm not sure he can recover with the coaching staff to get on the field for anything but special teams at this point. As a fan I had to peel myself off the ceiling after the drop against the bengals. It was truly a bad bad play and lack of concentration.

If he can work his way back out onto the field he's gonna have to get over this mental block because he's all out of Mulligans. All that being said I think trading him at this point would be a mistake. He seems to have no trouble getting himself open and it's hard for me to believe anyone who's spent this much of his young life on football can't get this thing turned around. I think it's in his head and if he can flush out his helmet he might just be salvageable!

Until then he's not allowed to sit next to Mike Wallace on the bench! Come on Mike! With Ben's pick six that one really cost us!!!

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 08:24 PM
*flush*

(no plunger or butter knife needed for this diahrea.)

TheWarDen86
10-13-2009, 08:25 PM
*flush*

(no plunger or butter knife needed for this diahrea.)

We need a new thread area entitled "Kids Table" for stuff like this. :chuckle:

randy06
10-13-2009, 08:34 PM
No kidding people need to grow up.

ricksteelers55
10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
We need to ask the mods to block any Sweed + words trade,cut,sucks or whatever words that are negative new threads.

There are already thousands of those

xvdougl
10-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry guys, I'm new to this forum and I guess I chose poorly on a place for my thoughts about Mr Sweed. Any Ideas where we can discuss him on a more professional level?

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry guys, I'm new to this forum and I guess I chose poorly on a place for my thoughts about Mr Sweed. Any Ideas where we can discuss him on a more professional level?dont sweat it bro...

theres already a "sweed traded" post on the 1st page and multiple "cut sweed/sweed sucks" posts that have been buried beneath all the other rubbish.

welcome, and have fun. :cheers:

as far as "professional", theres too many knee-jerk haters here as far as sweed is concerned.

TheWarDen86
10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Sorry guys, I'm new to this forum and I guess I chose poorly on a place for my thoughts about Mr Sweed. Any Ideas where we can discuss him on a more professional level?

Nah, you're post about Sweed was fine. :drink:

Spinlcrack
10-13-2009, 09:23 PM
My first post, so I anticipate the flames, however, I was thinking the same thing. I have a suspicion that Sweed 'don't think that good'. Doesn't mean he won't be quality. If he's a head case, IMHO, that's a potential big problem, but let's see how he works at it .

I think the pick6 towards Wallace was a rookie mistake. First time in a specific situation. It'll get fixed.

I never count on the Steelers trading, ever. It happens, bt not often.

Just my thoughts, nice to be here.

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
My first post, so I anticipate the flames, however, I was thinking the same thing. I have a suspicion that Sweed 'don't think that good'. Doesn't mean he won't be quality. If he's a head case, IMHO, that's a potential big problem, but let's see how he works at it .

I think the pick6 towards Wallace was a rookie mistake. First time in a specific situation. It'll get fixed.

Just my thoughts, nice to be here.welcome.

i think evidence shows that sweed is rather bright and the antithesis of a "headcase".

as far as the pick 6, i place that squarely on ben. wallace was where he shoulda been. the throw was lazy and late.

LVSteelersfan
10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Sweed will be kept on this team through hell or high water. No way that Tomlin gets rid of a high draft pick that easily. It is not unusal for young WRs to take awhile to get going. He has not played enough to write him off quite yet. Granted, that one in the end zone was costly but he still has plenty of time to make amends. Please tell me that they are going to trade Hines or Santonio because they have had a few crucial drops as well. Sorry, I don't buy it.

devilsdancefloor
10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
This guy is horrible and needs to go. Way too many drops for a high draft pick. Sucker some team into a trade for a 3-4 round pick.

great 1st post! Seriously you couldnt pick the other hate on sweed threads? I suppose 2 weeks ago you thought we should trade that other 2008 draft pick cause he was a bust too., but now he is almost as good as the bus in your eyes. Folks like yourself never see past the end of your nose. Cutting or trading isnt the steelers way or have you just been a fan since last year? the steelers way of doing things is frustrating at times, but a good percentage of time IT works. So sit back and relax and enjoy the games and the players who play for the steelers, because we might be without football due to a lockout.

TheWarDen86
10-13-2009, 09:48 PM

Just my thoughts, nice to be here.

Ben said it was his own fault (not enough "umph" on the throw).

cubanstogie
10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Sweed will be kept on this team through hell or high water. No way that Tomlin gets rid of a high draft pick that easily. It is not unusal for young WRs to take awhile to get going. He has not played enough to write him off quite yet. Granted, that one in the end zone was costly but he still has plenty of time to make amends. Please tell me that they are going to trade Hines or Santonio because they have had a few crucial drops as well. Sorry, I don't buy it.

I agree they won't get rid of him anytime soon, but if he doesn't show something in the next 11 games he won't be on team next year. 2nd rounder or not. There have been a number of 1st round WR busts. Granted most of them have been by the Lions with Matt Millen as the GM. Every year there are a new crop of receivers who could step up and part of being a successful organization is admitting you screwed up and cut a guy loose. I hope and wish Sweed will produce but I don't see his upside even close to what Santonio's is.

Spinlcrack
10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Fair enough. What I mean by headcase is more like writers's block. That said, I don't think he's Myron Rolle either. And he doesn't have to be. He needs to continue running good, sharp routes and catch the ball. That's all. He's not going anywhere.

As far as the pick6, you might be right, but I feel like MW with more experience will come back to that pass.

xvdougl
10-13-2009, 09:55 PM
dont sweat it bro...

theres already a "sweed traded" post on the 1st page and multiple "cut sweed/sweed sucks" posts that have been buried beneath all the other rubbish.

welcome, and have fun. :cheers:

as far as "professional", theres too many knee-jerk haters here as far as sweed is concerned.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm new here but have been a Steelers fan since 1974. Not from the Burgh but grew up loving the greatest team ever on TV!

Don't know if anyone here is a fan of NFL radio but Pat Kirwan told me he was looking for Sweed to catch 40+ balls before the 09 season. That certainly looks a bit high at this point with the way Wallace has emerged but those guys really do their homework and were at Latrobe this preseason. All he can do is work as hard as he can not to let this problem define him as a player!

tony hipchest
10-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I'm new here but have been a Steelers fan since 1974. Not from the Burgh but grew up loving the greatest team ever on TV!

Don't know if anyone here is a fan of NFL radio but Pat Kirwan told me he was looking for Sweed to catch 40+ balls before the 09 season. That certainly looks a bit high at this point with the way Wallace has emerged but those guys really do their homework and were at Latrobe this preseason. All he can do is work as hard as he can not to let this problem define him as a player!huge fan of nfl radio and probably the biggest pat kirwan disciple on this board. (if you are a regular caller i would know you by name).

kirwan also had sweed ranked as the #1 wr in the 08 draft.

i gotta go with professionals like him and the steelers coaching staff, as opposed to simple OSU homer fan's (who havent even coached high school football) observations in regards to the 12 times sweed was the targeted receiver in 24 professional games.

OneForTheToe
10-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Thing is Sweed is getting the same as Menndehall did just three weeks ago when everybody wanted to trade him. The major difference being that the Steelers need Mendy to be good now, so they are basically forcing him to sink or swim. Sweed isn't needed that much at the moment, so when he @ucks up it is easy to just pull him and let the wolves (fans) at him.

As others have said Limas isn't worth anything in a trade and his rookie salary isn't going save us much money so we might as well keep him. My guess is this year or next he will be forced to play due to injury and we will then see if he can swim.

Welcome to the newbies. Don't sweat the response of some of us old timers. We have been inundated with threads regarding a few select subjects, which is making some of us a little quick to jump. Just be cautious about starting a thread with the subject ________ sucks, or anything to that nature, because it has probably already been done and done.

Spinlcrack
10-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not a "this sucks" sort of guy. I'd rather discuss.
Traditionally, the Steelers don't trade much. I don't see him going anywhere.

xvdougl
10-14-2009, 06:14 AM
huge fan of nfl radio and probably the biggest pat kirwan disciple on this board. (if you are a regular caller i would know you by name).

kirwan also had sweed ranked as the #1 wr in the 08 draft.

i gotta go with professionals like him and the steelers coaching staff, as opposed to simple OSU homer fan's (who havent even coached high school football) observations in regards to the 12 times sweed was the targeted receiver in 24 professional games.

I wish I had time to be a regular caller! I'm sure if you've ever tried to get on Movin' the Chains you know what a popular show it is buy the busy signals you hear. The thing I love about those guys is that they expect the caller to do some homework and bring something to the show (unlike most shows where you basically ask the host for an opinion). They want a 2 way street.

Excellent point about the number of opportunities Limus has actually had. The chains guys also will point out that Sweed did save Benís butt breaking up an interception in last yearís AFC Championship game.

Boomerang
10-14-2009, 06:41 AM
I think Sweed still could be a reasonably decent WR but he has to start taking some steps to improve his general game.

solardave
10-14-2009, 06:57 AM

Thanks for bringing your expert opinion to the site. I'm not the biggest Sweed fan but I'm not ready to scrap the project and I don't think most here are either. You obviously know more than all of us so why don't you enlighten us with your WISDOM. NOT YOUR BULLSHIT!!!:chuckle:

SteelMember
10-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Another one...humph

Great 1st post by the OP....:rolleyes: Thanks for taking the time to register. :doh:

Thing is Sweed is getting the same as Menndehall did just three weeks ago when everybody wanted to trade him.

And I predict it will be the same senerio if Hood dosen't preform in Smith's absence.

Is there some special prize for being the first one who predicts a player as a bust? :cookie: 'Cause there are way too many people in the competition.

Thanks to those who are attempting to salvage a thread re-run, but after two weeks of this...it's getting old. :drink:

Texasteel
10-14-2009, 08:11 AM
And I predict it will be the same senerio if Hood dosen't preform in Smith's absence.

:

Maybe we should start a pool on that.

stlrtruck
10-14-2009, 08:29 AM
I have hope for Sweed. It's like looking at that one player who understands what he needs to do, grasps the offensive concept, but for some reason he's not putting it all together. You see the potential, the player shows flashes of it during practice - even during games, but overall he can't get over the fence.

But I see it, I see that transformation wanting to come out, wanting to make it, and it's that desire that I see that makes me want to keep him around (regardless of the frustration I feel when he doesn't do his job on game day).

43Hitman
10-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Maybe we should start a pool on that.

I got dibs on the second quarter of the Browns game.:chuckle:

Steelerfreak58
10-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Sweed is a second year player with how many balls thrown his way? The problem is the ones he has dropped are really high profile drops that if he had caught this discussion would never have taken place.

Give the KID some time to develop I know its asking a ton from some of you "fans" but some of these players don't turn star over night.

X-Terminator
10-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Now that you've given us your oh-so-wonderful opinion, will you kindly be shagging off now?

Friggin noobs, I swear to God...

SteelMember
10-14-2009, 09:08 AM
I got dibs on the second quarter of the Browns game.:chuckle:

All we have to do is check the gameday thread.

1st missed tackle will equal....that guy sucks! Why did we draft him? What a wasted pick! :wink02:

The Lakelander
10-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm shocked and disappointed in Sweed.

He has great attributes in terms of character and leadership.

He clearly has size and speed and can run good routes.

I saw this kid as someone who was going to make it big in the NFL.

His drops are perplexing at the very least and downright unexplainable at best.

Who's our WR's coach again? Fichtner?

Why is there no progress here?

fansince'76
10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, the first 20 "Sweed sucks" threads weren't enough. :coffee:

Bye bye thread.