View Full Version : Aaron Smith OUT for season placed on IR

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:31 AM
http://steelers.com/article/112109/

Aaron Smith placed on IR
Wednesday, October 14, 2009

By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com
During his regular weekly news conference yesterday, Coach Mike Tomlin revealed that Aaron Smith had injured his right shoulder, and that the situation “potentially could be significant.”

It turned out to be precisely that, and the Steelers placed Smith on the injured reserve list because of the shoulder injury. The injured reserve list means Smith’s season is over.

When asked yesterday about the team’s options in light of Smith’s injury, Tomlin said, “The usual suspects. Travis Kirschke, Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood.”

To take Smith’s spot on the roster, the Steelers signed Sonny Harris from the Carolina Panthers’ practice squad. Harris was the Steelers’ sixth-round draft pick last April, and when he came to training camp the hope was that he would develop sufficiently to contribute as a practice squad player as a rookie.

But after a summer in which Harris showed consistent improvement and concluded the preseason in Carolina with a nice game that included a sack, the Panthers claimed him when the Steelers put him on waivers. Because of needs at other positions, Harris subsequently was waived and signed to the Carolina practice squad. The Steelers also had plans to work out veteran Orpheus Roye.

As the team’s most recent No. 1 draft choice, Hood naturally is attracting the most attention, and Tomlin was asked about the rookie’s readiness for an expanded role.

“He has played in just about every football game he’s had a helmet on,” said Tomlin. “He has played on special teams in some games, he has had more defensive snaps in others. He played a pretty significant portion of the game this past week (in Detroit). He’s a young guy who’s on the come. He’s got a lot of talent. He’s not out of the oven yet, if you will. We acknowledge that, he acknowledges that. As long as we continue to do that, he’ll continue in the right direction. He’ll continue along those lines in terms of participation, but by no means is Ziggy Hood a potential replacement for Aaron Smith at this point. It will probably be a committee of bodies trying to fill that void.”

Make no mistake, no Aaron Smith creates a void. Smith has been with the Steelers longer than any players except Hines Ward and Deshea Townsend and long has been considered a key ingredient to the Steelers 3-4 alignment.

When Smith was injured late in the 2007 and was forced onto the injured reserve list after the seasons 13th game, the Jaguars, Rams and Ravens rushed for 224, 90 and 180 yards, respectively over the last three weeks of the regular season. Smith’s teammates regularly call him the most underrated player on the defense.

Through five games this season, Smith had 13 tackles, two sacks and 14 pressures, and he also blocked a field goal attempt during the Steelers’ 13-10 win over Tennessee on Sept. 10.

The_WARDen
10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Put in the next guy and move forward.

Hopefully, he can come back 100% next year!

viva la ben
10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
In 07 when Aaron went down we didn't have a first round pick to rotate in.
Sonny Harris was also signed from Carolina's practice squad.
There will be a dropoff, but it won't be as bad as having just Nick Eason

Steelerfreak58
10-14-2009, 09:41 AM
God Damn it!:banging::banging::banging:

Christian Snyder
10-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Nooooo!!!!:banging::banging::banging:

Tankus_Maximus
10-14-2009, 09:58 AM
It's time to get Ziggy with it.

XxKnightxX
10-14-2009, 10:11 AM
HUGE, HUUGE blow to the Defense. As good as Eason, Kirschke, and Hood are, they just cant replace Smith. Hes a Force on that line. Lets just hope the replacements can catch up to the program since its still early in the season.

cubanstogie
10-14-2009, 10:16 AM
In 07 when Aaron went down we didn't have a first round pick to rotate in.
Sonny Harris was also signed from Carolina's practice squad.
There will be a dropoff, but it won't be as bad as having just Nick Eason

I like the optimism for sure, having 2 of our top 3 defensive players out just might light a fire under the rears of the rest of the D. Cleveland is a good start for Ziggy since it will be more like a scrimmage than a real game.

BlastFurnace
10-14-2009, 10:17 AM
God Damn it!:banging::banging::banging:

Is that really necessary. Do you really know what you are saying! It's not God's fault that Aaron tore his rotator cuff.

Texasteel
10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
This is the last thing I wanted, but think we are better suited for this than the last time.

The one good thing is that Harris is back on the team, something many of us hoped for, and will have a legitimate chance to to earn a spot on this team.

Get yourself well Aaron.
Give um hell Sonny.

SteelMember
10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, Damn!

This is not the way I was hoping to get Harris back on the squad. :banging:

BlastFurnace
10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
This really stinks, but I am thrilled to have Harris back with us.

Roye would have been a decent option as well. He knows the nuances of the 3-4 DE and when he played last year, he was pretty good.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, just making the best of a bad situation. I really like our D line depth better than the other side of the ball though.

This just kind of sets up the possibility that next season that Harris could take the place of Eason or Kirschke in 2010.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, the fact that Hood will likely be the 2nd or 3rd option to replace Smith in the rotation means he will not be under the pressure to replace right away.

Kind of a way to ease him into playing rather than a trial by fire, so to speak.

SteelMember
10-14-2009, 10:26 AM
MIssed it by that much.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39996

And if it matters to anyone, Ed Bouchette said it's Sunny.

Ed Bouchette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09286/1005182-66.stm): Hello, Madrid. I'm not sure Harris -- he says now, by the way, that it's spelled Sunny

:hunch:

BlastFurnace
10-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah, just making the best of a bad situation. I really like our D line depth better than the other side of the ball though.

This just kind of sets up the possibility that next season that Harris could take the place of Eason or Kirschke in 2010.

With Kirschke's lingering back issues, I am surprised that he hasn't hung up the cleats by now.

Yes, it's bad to lose Aaron...I think we all remember 2007...but....if we can find a silver lining in all of this, it's nice to get Harris back.

tunes4life
10-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow, that really hurts. I'll be interested to see who steps up big in the coming weeks. And I have to admit, I'm very happy to have Sunny (Bouchette said that is how he likes it spelled) back on the team. I'm not exactly sure why but I have a good feeling about him.

:uhh:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM
This is the last thing I wanted, but think we are better suited for this than the last time.

The one good thing is that Harris is back on the team, something many of us hoped for, and will have a legitimate chance to to earn a spot on this team.

Get yourself well Aaron.
Give um hell Sonny.

Exactly....very significant loss. Thank goodness that we have the Browns this weekend and we can rotate some guys in and out for reps.

Good to have Harris back, even if it is under these conditions. Time to make lemonade out of the situation.

1) Hood will get reps for his future starting slot.
2) We got Harris back who will get some experience instead of being on the practice squad for a year...I really think that he has a legitimate future with the team.

Does this suck...sure. But it is what it is.

bradness113
10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
through adversity...character will show...

and this team has character.

The Lakelander
10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm excited!

Seriously ...

I foresee a youth renaissance movement across our D-Line over the next few months!

This is great news!

Getting these kids NFL starting reps is going to help us down the road ... especially into next season!

This is not an old team!

There are "old" starters in Farrior, Smith and Hiines ... and there old substitutes in Deshea and Kirschke ...

But the rest of this team is relatively young!

Getting these kids across the D-line into some level of game experience is going to be awesome!

I'm more excited than ever! I fully expect these kids to show up large over the balance of the season!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Probably the best 3-4 defensive end in the league and most underrated out for the rest of the season is a huge blow. Last season the defense filled in for him well, but with the defense struggling a little I hope this doesn't hurt us that bad!

The Lakelander
10-14-2009, 11:06 AM
This is not so bad!

Aaron Smith is kind of a local folk legend in Steelers Country. We all respect his solid play and his demeanor!

Let me tell you all what I respect ...

I respect when our defensive linemen get in the face of the QB and cause pressure.

I love the sacks from our outside LB's ... but I LOVE the sacks from our D-linemen!

Aaron Smith is great against the run and average against the pass.

I'd rather give up a little something against the run and gain a little more pressure up the middle against the pass.

I believe this is exactly what will happen! ... more sacks!

The Definiti0n
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
IM SOOOOO HOOOOOOOOODDDD!!!!

Get Ziggy With It NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Let me tell you all what I respect ...

I respect when our defensive linemen get in the face of the QB and cause pressure.

I love the sacks from our outside LB's ... but I LOVE the sacks from our D-linemen!

Aaron Smith is great against the run and average against the pass.

I'd rather give up a little something against the run and gain a little more pressure up the middle against the pass.

I believe this is exactly what will happen! ... more sacks!

Please tell me what Steeler DE in the past 20 years has been an impact by making sacks. Kevin Henry, Brentson Buckner, Orpheous Roye, Ray Seals, Kimo Von Olhoffen, Aaron Smith, Brent Keisel???

Maybe Seals was the most accomplished sack artist of that bunch, but basically a 3-4 DE doesnt get the kind of sacks that a DE in a 4-3 does. If anything, the loss of Smith could result in less sacks since it may free up an O lineman to help elsewhere, if Smith's replacement doesnt occupy 2 O linemen.

Dino 6 Rings
10-14-2009, 11:37 AM
At least it happened early enough in the season for us to make adjustments now and not have it effect us late in the season during the Playoff Push.

KeiselPower99
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
This hurts but its time now for Ziggy to step up and with the news that Sonny Harris is coming back we should be fine.

tyler289
10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
This hurts, but this is why we drafted Ziggy. If he can step up, we're still in good shape.

Without Smith, we're much more vulnerable to the run. Remember Tomlin's first year, when Aaron was hurt? Luckily a guy like Ziggy should be able to make some plays.

SteelGhost
10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Maybe Keyaron Fox will see more playing time to help stuffing the run :noidea:

I hope Tomlin's DL Commitee can step up and have a good season.

Edman
10-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Bad news just got worse.

We've proven we can replace Keisel and Hampton okay. They have capable backups.

There are NO proven capable backups for Aaron. Hopefully the Run D won't be hurting too much like in 2007. Whatever the case may be, teams are going to be running at that side even more. This hurts with Adrian Peterson and the Vikings O-Line coming around the corner. Hell, even Jamal Lewis at his age could do damage Sunday.

But no use crying about it now. The standards do not change. Only the cast. Someone is going to have to step up.

FacemeIke
10-14-2009, 12:09 PM
We are lucky we are so deep at every position. None of them can fill the shoes of Smith, but Eason is a solid player and we get the chance to see what Hood has now too. As Tomlin always says, "it doesn't matter who is in there, the level of accountability for your play is the same"

devilsdancefloor
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
im bummed about it, but i aqm sure that coach will have them ready.. at least he better in 2 weeks AD.

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
This sucks. I remember the end of '07 far too well. At least Ziggy will get some more playing time now. Hopefully him and the rest of the guys can step it up.

stairway27
10-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Al Davis is willing to trade anyone on the Raiders. He loves Receivers. We need a D-End... Let's trade Sweed for Greg Ellis. If they want to play hardball, we can throw in FWP too, since we'll lose him to free agency next year. May as well get something for him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Bottom line:

Its okay to be upset about Smith...we just lost one of the best 3-4 DE's in the game and one of the big reasons that our OLB's are as effective as they are.

Its also okay to be excited about Hood and Harris. Hood is a stud in the making and I am so pleased that we got Harris back and didnt lose our 6th round draft choice from last year.

But keep in mind. We are going to have to experience some"pain" in this scenario. Not with Hood who will be played sparingly until he understands how to play at the NFL level...and not with Harris who wont dress for most games (Eason will get that honor)...but with Travis Kirschke who is a VERY solid wave player...but is NOT Aaron Smith.

steelreserve
10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Like others have said, at least we're better prepared this year than we were in 2007. Nothing we can do about it except hope the new guys are up to the challenge.

IF Harris and Hood both turn out to be future starters, I'd say getting two defensive linemen in one draft would be a pretty good silver lining.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm guessing Hood gets the nod on obvious passing downs and they rotate the other guys accordingly...

The Duke
10-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Al Davis is willing to trade anyone on the Raiders. He loves Receivers. We need a D-End... Let's trade Sweed for Greg Ellis. If they want to play hardball, we can throw in FWP too, since we'll lose him to free agency next year. May as well get something for him.

And greg ellis helps our dline how exactly?

3-4dline, 4-3 dline. Big difference

Glad to have sonny back. I don't expect a meltdown like 07 since eason's been here for 2+ years, ziggy is 1st round pick, harris is not bad at all, and Kirschke, while old, is very solid

Besides, the whole 07 team was drained out anyway after tough practices and TC. I would never blame that meltdown on smith's injury alone. Clark was out, troy was out of sync and out every other game, haggans was starting....

LVSteelersfan
10-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I am extremely upset about Smith. He is the one player besides Polomolu that I was concerned about losing to injury. He wasn't hiding in the background on that stupid Madden game was he? BUT, for those of you who screamed that we should have gone Oline in the early rounds. This is why the Steelers FO is so good and the naysayers don't work for them. We got a potential great player in Hood and the Oline is playing pretty well so far this year. Getting Harris back from Carolina is icing on the cake. He may not dress at first but if someone else gets hurt, we have great depth on the Dline.

Psyychoward86
10-14-2009, 05:53 PM

for realzies? :coffee:

Vincent
10-14-2009, 06:01 PM

265 lbs is too light to play DE in our system.

steelerchad
10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I hate losing Smith as it really hurt us last time he was out. But, I'm excited about the possibility of our 1st round pick getting some playing time he wouldn't normally be getting.

Many great players have gotten their start sooner than they should have due to another player's injury. Look no further than Roethlisberger for that when he started his 3rd game ever and led his team to a 15-1 season. If Maddox had stayed healthy that year, Ben probably would have rode the bench all year and likely would not have been seasoned enough to take us to the SuperBowl the next season.
Everything happens for a reason. Maybe it's Ziggy's turn and maybe Smith's family needs him more than we do right now.

wootawnee
10-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Aaron can't play forever........This might be it for him.......

I hope he doesn't have to hang em up.......

Everybody retires though.........

Someones gonna have to step up.......

We'll see who.....

St33lersguy
10-15-2009, 06:52 PM
:banging::banging: Remember the last time Smith was out? How can I forget Fred Taylor steamrolling the defense in the snow.

43Hitman
10-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Aaron can't play forever........This might be it for him.......

I hope he doesn't have to hang em up.......

Everybody retires though.........

Someones gonna have to step up.......

We'll see who.....

Please don't take this the wrong way but sometimes your posts sound like someone on the other end of a robot, just inputting random statements as that's all the 8bit memory can handle. Now I know that I am not the most eloquent writer or even a great poster, but could you at least string those thoughts into a coherent paragraph or sentence please. Thanks, the whole board will appreciate it.

DANGER!! WILL ROBINSON DANGER!! :chuckle:

Oh and while I think we will see the loss of production that A. Smith brings to the line, it will be nice to see what we have in the younger guys. I remain confident that by the end of the season we will be in better shape than we are now. Even if we don't do as well as last year.

revefsreleets
10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Problem with rotator cuff is that he may never regain all his strength...I'm very concerned about this injury.

stlrtruck
10-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Problem with rotator cuff is that he may never regain all his strength...I'm very concerned about this injury.

I understand the point but usually with the training they go through, with the doctors on staff, and the amount of rehab that he has access to, unless he broke something in the joint of the shoulder, I really don't see him not gaining his strength back, especially since he's done for the season.

Preacher
10-16-2009, 05:13 PM
And greg ellis helps our dline how exactly?

3-4dline, 4-3 dline. Big difference

Glad to have sonny back. I don't expect a meltdown like 07 since eason's been here for 2+ years, ziggy is 1st round pick, harris is not bad at all, and Kirschke, while old, is very solid

Besides, the whole 07 team was drained out anyway after tough practices and TC. I would never blame that meltdown on smith's injury alone. Clark was out, troy was out of sync and out every other game, haggans was starting....

Bingo. I remember the same thing happened ot he O line.... The sacks in the second half was SIGNIFICANTLY more than in the first half.

THat is why Tomlin let up in camp the second year, and in practice.

Indo
10-16-2009, 05:16 PM
The "Rotator Cuff" actually isn't a single muscle----it's a group of 4 muscles that surround the shoulder joint and provide its motion. For those of you that care, the names of the 4 muscles are recalled by the mnemonic "SITS"---(the rotator cuffs SITS around the shoulder). The muscles are :

Supraspinatus
Infraspinatus
Teres Major
Subscapularis

It's the supraspinatus that gets torn
It generally requires surgery to repair it if one is a professional athlete who doesn't want to lose strength or range-of-motion...that's why it's a season-ending injury---especially if it's a complete tear

For the rest of us (non-professional athletes) it doesn't necessarily need an operation
Incidentally, I have a left rotator cuff tear---I did not have the operation and it hurt like a b*tch for about 5 months. My sholder strength is definately not what it used to be---but it really doesn't matter---I couldn't take the time off work to have the surgery

Here's a good diagram

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00064

markymarc
10-17-2009, 03:50 PM
This definitely hurts our run defense. Get well Aaron! At least we got back Harris now.