PDA

View Full Version : Does losing Smith for the season change our expectations ?

billybob
10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I steadfastly say no it does not . It should not even affect how we approach our games . I do not expect any drop off in our run defense .We have had the most steady defense for the last few years , and i believe one of the best , if not the best coordinators of all times .
We have a goal to reach , and it takes 53 men to meet that goal . We all knew that going in , and the front office knew that going in , and "Mike ; injuries are part of the game Tomlin " , knows it also .
I think it actually makes the season more interesting to see how we compensate for such a loss . Teams are sure to test that aspect of our game . That is what the NFL is all about , take advantage of the other teams weaknesses . Who is to say it is a weakness at this point ? I believe we have the personel to still maintain our focus on our goal . Bringin home # 7 !

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

steelreserve
10-14-2009, 01:31 PM
If losing one guy costs you any chance of winning the Super Bowl ... then either you didn't have that good of a team in the first place, or you have a gay quarterback who's only good when he's helped by cheating.

BlastFurnace
10-14-2009, 01:32 PM
The only catestophic loss we could lose would be Ben. If we lose Ben, then yes, my expectations change.

Edman
10-14-2009, 01:40 PM
The Steelers are still a capable team without Aaron. They're just a tad weaker on Defense.

BF is correct. The one absolute player the Steelers cannot afford to lose for a lengthy time is Ben. He gives us the chance to compete and win. Even if we don't win, we still have a shot. We don't win XLIII or even make the playoffs without him. Pure and simple.

I hope I didn't jinx it...

SteelGhost
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
If losing one guy costs you any chance of winning the Super Bowl ... then either you didn't have that good of a team in the first place, or you have a gay quarterback who's only good when he's helped by cheating.

.... and get "the roughing the puss-ier call" ? :chuckle:

billybob
10-14-2009, 02:02 PM
We have plenty of other players ready to make their splash , if you will . Now is their chance to do just that . Maybe special teams pick up their game another notch , maybe the offense becomes even more assertive , maybe the players taking over for Smith actually makes a name for themselves .
The point i want to make is that there is more upside , than downside to this scenerio .

AllD
10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Smith has a lot of mileage on him and his career may be shortened.

Every team gets injuries, so there is no excuse. However, there is only one more superstar left on defense without injury. One door closes and another one opens. Winning easy will never be a Steelers' trademark.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-14-2009, 02:13 PM
There will be a drop off in our defense. The question will be... How much? You cant lose a player that is as good as Smith...replace him with a backup and NOT expect some drop off.

The question then becomes...With the expected loss in production from that side, are we good enough as a defense to stay near the top of the NFL?

I think we are. If for no other reason then that Lebeau will find a way to scheme our defense to overcome for most deficiencies. If Lebeau can somewhat scheme for the loss of Troy, he will somewhat scheme for the loss of Aaron.

Rick5895
10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
This is when we find out how good Ziggy is. I remember 2007, Smith lost late in the season and our run D went down the toilet. Hopefully Hood, Eason and Kirscke can step up but Smith is the best 3-4 end in the NFL and this loss hurts!!

steelreserve
10-14-2009, 02:18 PM
We have plenty of other players ready to make their splash , if you will . Now is their chance to do just that . Maybe special teams pick up their game another notch , maybe the offense becomes even more assertive , maybe the players taking over for Smith actually makes a name for themselves .
The point i want to make is that there is more upside , than downside to this scenerio .

I don't think that's true, at least in the short term. Player development is great, but not at the expense of losing a Pro Bowl caliber defender in a year when you have a serious shot at the Super Bowl.

Yes, Smith was probably going to retire anyway after a couple more years, and we need to find a successor, but the bottom line is that if you're trying to win a championship, you want to put the best players RIGHT NOW on the field at every opportunity.

I don't think this will kill us as much as it might have in years past, but it's still a big monkey wrench in our plans.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Absolutely false...Losing Smith is NOT a plus for a team. Its just a matter of how much of a loss this is.

I think (and hope) we can remain near the top...but losing Smith is in no way something that we can say has MORE upside than downside.

Cheppy
10-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't expect the defense to be as good. So yeah...

I'm clinging to the hope that their run D can play well enough & that the offensive strides they've made are enough to make up for the loss of one of the most underrated players in the sport.

We'll get some answers on the 25th.

billybob
10-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Some rookies step right in and make their case . Some do not . Kierski is no rookie , neither is Eason . Hood has a chance , no matter the lack of experience . There seems to be plenty of tutors on that whole team . I just can not see a big fall-off this time around because of Smith's absence . Not like before . Maybe Dick changes the linebackers duties now ?

PalmerSteel
10-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Absolutely false...Losing Smith is NOT a plus for a team. Its just a matter of how much of a loss this is.

I think (and hope) we can remain near the top...but losing Smith is in no way something that we can say has MORE upside than downside.

i definately agree with that. it just has a POSSIBLE silver lining in our 1st draft pick this year was his position and might be able to soften the blow enough to where it wont affect us as much as it did a couple years ago when he was out.

billybob
10-14-2009, 03:03 PM
We have plenty of upside due to this injury . You have to know where to look to see it !

:tt02: :tt02:

:tt02:

:tt02: :tt02:

Steel_Bus_24
10-14-2009, 03:12 PM
yeah it kinda does, though this feeling has been buidding since the season started

Ive now thrown out the idea of us winning easy in a dominant fashion.........but I'll still be hoping for a 05 type of year where we were never the favorite, yet got hot an shocked the world

I think Im about done worrying about all the ways we could be better this year.......instead I'll just hope for the best an let the chips fall where they may

43Hitman
10-14-2009, 03:12 PM

I completely agree with this. There will be a drop off in play along the line with him not being there. You just can't take an All Pro lineman out of the game and expect everything to be hunkey-dorey, that's just not realistic at all. I think Hood better live up to all the hype he was getting from Smith this pre-season, because if he doesn't, it could be a rough road in the run defense.

revefsreleets
10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
The question is does this change our expectations. The answer is a resounding "no!". Our expectations are to contend for a Super Bowl title every year.

Does this change our chances? Sure...but adversity creates both opportunity and character. I expect the rotation of subs who are asked to step up in Smith's place will do a fine job filling his shoes.

billybob
10-14-2009, 03:16 PM
The question is does this change our expectations. The answer is a resounding "no!". Our expectations are to contend for a Super Bowl title every year.

Does this change our chances? Sure...but adversity creates both opportunity and character. I expect the rotation of subs who are asked to step up in Smith's place will do a fine job filling his shoes.

Thats what i'm talkin about .

Steelboy84
10-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Goal is still the same:

Lombardi Trophy #7.

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drink: :drink: :drink: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :hatsoff:

43Hitman
10-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Oh and to answer the OP. I don't think this changes our expectations at all, just the path to the goal is all that changes.

Kvnfaber
10-14-2009, 03:22 PM

These are my thoughts exactly.

stlrtruck
10-14-2009, 03:28 PM
It does't change my expectations at all. While Coach T may not be as high on Hood or other replacements for Smith, he also stated that our #2 is not a #2 but just an extension of the #1.

I believe that someone will step up and make a play. It happens year in and year out for the Steelers and this year should be no different!

billybob
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Other phases of our game must step up to counter what some believe is now a weakness .
Special teams , like i said may be a contributor , the offense could carry the weight now , or the defense may simply adapt .
I believe that all three could be the case , so maybe even the coaches could step their games up a "playoff " like notch .

SteelC7
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
last time we lost smith for a few games, our run defense plummeted, and sorry everybody, but it probably will again, obviously hood isnt ready, and kirschkes old, and eason is average, so everybody get ready to start ur negative, were done, we suck posts after we allow some extra rushing yds

lilyoder6
10-14-2009, 08:39 PM
be interesting to see how hood plays.. and if harris will get some playing time..

b/c travis k.. is getting rid old.. and see where eason is

devilsdancefloor
10-14-2009, 08:52 PM
i think the troy or ryan will cheat over to the left side and Lamarr is going to have to not take himself out of the play and leave cut backs like he has this year. I can forsee alot of screens to that side. BUT my expectations have not changed at all for this team it is the super bowl!

sharkweek
10-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I think Tomlin is just playing down Hood to keep expectations low as well as to continue to show respect to Smith by giving him a vote of confidence in that he would be the unquestioned starter next season. Tomlin truly is a master of saying all the right things as a coach (and he certainly walks the walk pretty damn good as well)

We drafted Hood #1 precisely for this reason, its just that we'll be seeing him play sooner than we may have liked. Granted the last time a #1 pick had to come in prematurely was when Ben replaced Maddox and that season went pretty well. My hopes are still high. It could have been worse though, at least we get a warm up game with the Browns prior to the Vikings, and then a bye to iron some kinks out before the home stretch.

billybob
10-14-2009, 09:52 PM
last time we lost smith for a few games, our run defense plummeted, and sorry everybody, but it probably will again, obviously hood isnt ready, and kirschkes old, and eason is average, so everybody get ready to start ur negative, were done, we suck posts after we allow some extra rushing yds

Last i knew we had more than one person on this team . There are other ways to win games besides on the defensive side of the ball . Kierski is old ? How old is he ? How old is Smith ? Oh i thought so .
Defensive plans can be altered also , just ask Dick , and the rest of this defense could tell you . When was the last time you saw Eason (eason) start a game ?
(kirschkes) will be a valuable player , wait and see . Hood has never started a game in the NFL and coaches sometimes use language such as , he is not ready for the job as a starter for this team at this time .....for a motivating tool .
Tomlin is no stranger , when it comes to the defensive side of the ball . Unless you forgot that . Along with Dick , i think you will see what this defense is capable of in the face of all the adverse predictions that a lot of people are thinking .

ricksteelers55
10-14-2009, 10:28 PM
There will be a drop off in our defense. The question will be... How much? You cant lose a player that is as good as Smith...replace him with a backup and NOT expect some drop off.

The question then becomes...With the expected loss in production from that side, are we good enough as a defense to stay near the top of the NFL?

I think we are. If for no other reason then that Lebeau will find a way to scheme our defense to overcome for most deficiencies. If Lebeau can somewhat scheme for the loss of Troy, he will somewhat scheme for the loss of Aaron.

totally agree.I think that with Troy,Aaron is the most important player on defense.It will be tough but we dont have the toughest schedule and now have some valuable backups that can step up and make some plays.

hopefully it doesnt hurt our chances of going to the big 12

WarBus
10-14-2009, 11:09 PM
guys (and girls) listen......for anyone thinking this is going to be no drop off or little drop off in our D you are sadly mistaken. Aaron Smith will have a larger impact on our defense than Troy or any other defender we have. He frees up our athletic linebackers namely lamaar woodle and james farrior. Hood will be good but not yet. Aaron smith is an absolute dominant end that teams must double team if they run to the left side of our defense. That will no longer be the case. Woodley is already having his worst year and I think he is fantastic but he can give half his numbers in the league right now to aaron smith cause he allows woodly to be one on one with a running back or te on a regular basis. This loss is devastating to our team I no longer feel we can repeat as a SB champ without him and in our division we will have a hard time making the playoffs I feel. I am not trying to be doom and gloom here but without Smith we will see a sever drop off in our defense that has been struggling somewhat this year. When he was out in 07 we lost 4 of the last 5 games including one and done in the playoffs versus jaguars. Hood i hope can use his motor to be a starter throughout the year because travis and nick eason cant get it done lets be honest. I hope i am wrong but this will be an injury we will be looking at all year as our enormous weak link.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-14-2009, 11:18 PM
There are no backups on this team, just starters in waiting.

While losing Smith sucks, it's not the death of this season. We can damn sure still win the division and get to and win the Super Bowl.

We drafted an defensive lineman in the first round. While he isn't going to start, at least not right away, he will get into the rotation. If he has success, he will be in there regularly.

Losing Smith sucks, he is one of my favorite players in the NFL. I hope he gets a full recovery and comes back next year and plays out of his mind.

HometownGal
10-14-2009, 11:56 PM

I didn't need to read any further in this thread. LLT - that's as good as it gets. You nailed it. :drink::thumbsup:

LVSteelersfan
10-15-2009, 12:25 AM
All you naysayers please go away. I believe the defensive players that are left along with the return of Troy will make up for the loss of Aaron. It is a blow, but I believe in Lebeau. If nothing else, maybe we will stay in the no huddle offense all game and just try to outscore the other team. We may lose to a couple teams but we do have an easy schedule. I think this will be good for Ziggy's psychie playing against the Clowns this coming week. Minnesota and Denver not so much. All I know is this puts a lot more pressure on Ben to perform and not throw those stupid pick six throws that get us in trouble.

billybob
10-15-2009, 12:39 AM
All you naysayers please go away. I believe the defensive players that are left along with the return of Troy will make up for the loss of Aaron. It is a blow, but I believe in Lebeau. If nothing else, maybe we will stay in the no huddle offense all game and just try to outscore the other team. We may lose to a couple teams but we do have an easy schedule. I think this will be good for Ziggy's psychie playing against the Clowns this coming week. Minnesota and Denver not so much. All I know is this puts a lot more pressure on Ben to perform and not throw those stupid pick six throws that get us in trouble.

Nay sayers suck ! Confidence and the will to achieve is what we have to bring now .
The defense already was lacking in the 4th quarter all season anyway . Even with Aaron in the line up .
Now the next player has got to step up . It's like that every year .

Steelers & I
10-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Some rookies step right in and make their case . Some do not . Kierski is no rookie , neither is Eason . Hood has a chance , no matter the lack of experience . There seems to be plenty of tutors on that whole team . I just can not see a big fall-off this time around because of Smith's absence . Not like before . Maybe Dick changes the linebackers duties now ?

Eason played well in a few games last season. Of course it was spot duty but he shined on a few plays. We'll see if he can handle extended playing time.

Cheppy
10-15-2009, 01:09 AM
If nothing else, maybe we will stay in the no huddle offense all game and just try to outscore the other team.

So you want the defense to stay on the field longer? Brilliant strategy..

Steelers & I
10-15-2009, 01:14 AM
guys (and girls) listen......for anyone thinking this is going to be no drop off or little drop off in our D you are sadly mistaken. Aaron Smith will have a larger impact on our defense than Troy or any other defender we have. He frees up our athletic linebackers namely lamaar woodle and james farrior. Hood will be good but not yet. Aaron smith is an absolute dominant end that teams must double team if they run to the left side of our defense. That will no longer be the case. Woodley is already having his worst year and I think he is fantastic but he can give half his numbers in the league right now to aaron smith cause he allows woodly to be one on one with a running back or te on a regular basis. This loss is devastating to our team I no longer feel we can repeat as a SB champ without him and in our division we will have a hard time making the playoffs I feel. I am not trying to be doom and gloom here but without Smith we will see a sever drop off in our defense that has been struggling somewhat this year. When he was out in 07 we lost 4 of the last 5 games including one and done in the playoffs versus jaguars. Hood i hope can use his motor to be a starter throughout the year because travis and nick eason cant get it done lets be honest. I hope i am wrong but this will be an injury we will be looking at all year as our enormous weak link.

Sorry about Aaron's luck but really, at this point nobody cares about Aaron Smith. It's time to leave him behind and move on with what we have. I for one will not sit around week after week and concern myself with the absence of Aaron Smith. Hell the Steelers defense hasn't played extraordinarily well this season WITH Smith in the lineup. Who knows, maybe one of the backups will find himself out of position and actually break up one of the screen passes that have been run down the Steelers throats thus far this season.

steeltheone
10-15-2009, 04:17 AM
I agree. No drop off at all. We should have never re signed him. you can only have so many 30 somethings...Go Steelers

stlrtruck
10-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I agree. No drop off at all. We should have never re signed him. you can only have so many 30 somethings...Go Steelers

I can't agree with that shouldn't have resigned him comment. I mean really it takes 11 people on defense to coordinate the efforts that we had last year and even the ones this year. I compare him to the same thing as Foote. He knows his role and he plays it well. When you have a player like that, you do have somewhat of a drop off as new players can often try too hard to be perfect when in reality they only need to follow their assignments. Aaron Smith knew his assignments and he carried them out very well. While I don't think we'll have a drop off, it does become hards to replace someone who understands the defensive scheme and their role within the combined unit!

steelballs
10-15-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm sure Tomlin will be the first to say no, but losing Smith is huge.
Aaron has gone unnoticed for most of his career, but his impact in stopping the run will definitely be noticed.
I'm not going to say that 1 player will change our aspirations for #7, but Aaron is a beast and the tandem of Kirschke, Harris , Eason and Ziggy will have their hands full trying to keep the level of play even.

solardave
10-15-2009, 08:43 AM

I half agree with you. Losing Troy changed our defensive scheme. Losing Aaron shoudn't ,but that is where the committee has to step up. I agree with Brady being gay!!!:chuckle:

Childers711
10-15-2009, 08:58 AM
I have to say that my expectations will not change. However, I think we all have to be realistic. I just hope that the defense compensates better with this loss than the loss of Troy. Maybe having Troy back will help.

See you all Sunday!

The_WARDen
10-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Nope. 14-2 is still on...for a couple of more weeks at least.

steeltheone
10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
I can't agree with that shouldn't have resigned him comment. I mean really it takes 11 people on defense to coordinate the efforts that we had last year and even the ones this year. I compare him to the same thing as Foote. He knows his role and he plays it well. When you have a player like that, you do have somewhat of a drop off as new players can often try too hard to be perfect when in reality they only need to follow their assignments. Aaron Smith knew his assignments and he carried them out very well. While I don't think we'll have a drop off, it does become hards to replace someone who understands the defensive scheme and their role within the combined unit!

I'm not saying he did'nt have a role and i think he did do well. I just believe you need to update on a regular basis. We have been good at doing this thru the years, but now we have (3) 30 something DL'S a MLB and Clark is turning 30 soon. You can believe what you want, but they are not getting better at this point so this means they are on the downside. I hate to see injurys to anybody. I just don't feel it will be that noticable. Lets hope not.

gameface75
10-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Travis Kirschke,Tony Eason,Ziggy Hood ,like it or not they have to share playing time to fill Smiths shoes .however in Labeaus schemes i think if they are properly rotated on plays they will be ok.

Slick93
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Ziggy in action, I'm curious to see what he'll bring to the table now and for the future as well.

stlrtruck
10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm not saying he did'nt have a role and i think he did do well. I just believe you need to update on a regular basis. We have been good at doing this thru the years, but now we have (3) 30 something DL'S a MLB and Clark is turning 30 soon. You can believe what you want, but they are not getting better at this point so this means they are on the downside. I hate to see injurys to anybody. I just don't feel it will be that noticable. Lets hope not.

I'll agree to disagree :drink:

I believe when you have such a high standard at certain positions you are more inclined to see an immediate decrease in production (albeit ever so slight) but because of the grooming, it won't be a sustained absence - say such as what happens when other teams attempt to buy their team's success.

But even with that being said, it still doesn't change my expectations for success!

St33lersguy
10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Aaron Smith is an important cog on that defense and the run D is mediocre at best. Kirsche and Eason are not Aaron Smith and who knows what Ziggy does.?

St33lersguy
10-15-2009, 06:59 PM

Aaron Smith doesn't play for the patriots:chuckle:

steelreserve
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Aaron Smith doesn't play for the patriots:chuckle:

And he's not a gay quarterback either, a least as far as I know.

But I don't think this completely crushes our championship hopes either, like losing Gay Brady did. We're a lot more solidly built team all-around.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-17-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Ziggy in action, I'm curious to see what he'll bring to the table now and for the future as well.

Excellent attitude...being that losing Aaron is now a forgone conclusion, ..I appreciate the "moving on in a positive manner" outlook.

We will take our lumps in losing Smith, but can and should enjoy Hoods progression.

markymarc
10-17-2009, 04:05 PM
I have complete faith in Kirschke, Eason and Hood helping this defense while Smith is out. Time for them to earn their paycheck! It will be interesting to see if our run defense becomes suspect just like in 2007.

billybob
10-17-2009, 07:45 PM
True that , Smith has been a rock in our defensive schemes , and you know he will be missed . To say that we are not the same team without him though, may be taking it a stretch too far .Kierski , and Eason are here for just this reason . Also we have a monster waiting in the wings that Tomlin hand picked himself.........and ya know he did too !
We are back to 53 players on our squad , and that is what it takes to win even one super bowl , let alone bringin home # 7 .