PDA

View Full Version : blackout in cin city sunday?

devilsdancefloor
10-14-2009, 09:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Despite-great-start-Bengals-could-face-TV-black?urn=nfl,195741

Back in the first half of the decade, when the Bengals were a hopeless franchise that hadn't qualified for the playoffs since 1990, it made sense that the team often played to thousands of empty seats. But now that the team is a surprise 4-1 (and just one fluke play away from being undefeated), you'd think fans in Cincinnati would be clamoring to see the squad that could put the Bengals back in the playoffs for just the fifth time since the bicentennial, right? Wrong.

Despite winning consecutive games over its biggest rivals and currently sitting atop the brutal AFC North, the Cincinnati Bengals said today that its home game Sunday versus the Houston Texans is unlikely to sell out and, as a result, will be blacked out on local television. There are approximately 7,000 seats still remaining and it will take a "significant increase in sales" to avoid the blackout and the snapping of the team's 46-game sellout streak.

Sellouts and blackouts usually don't interest us too much (we'll leave that for other sites), because they usually involve teams that either aren't worth paying money to see or play in cities long known for football apathy. But it's a bit vexing that a team which has sold out every home game since 2003 may get a game blacked out as they're in the midst of one of the best opening stretches to a season in franchise history.

Crow-Magnon
10-14-2009, 09:20 PM
That's freakin' ridiculous.

Christian Snyder
10-14-2009, 09:31 PM
That's both hilarious and ridiculous.

Crow-Magnon
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
That's both hilarious and ridiculous.

Well.....that, too! :drink:

Godfather
10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow, you would think someone would step up. If not individual fans, local businesses.

I got free Saints tickets a couple of times because my company bought tickets to help the team sell out.

tony hipchest
10-14-2009, 09:48 PM
even if they are above .500 the fans still know they suck.

devilsdancefloor
10-14-2009, 10:06 PM
I am wondering if it is the economy or they know it is s fluke?

tony hipchest
10-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I am wondering if it is the economy or they know it is s fluke? heres a post i found on a bungles board after they lost the 1st game of the season to the broncos (im pretty sure they know it is a fluke and dont want to be crushed by the inevitable collapse)-

We didn't deserve the win & the football gods did this to us because we suck.

Our town sucks, our team sucks, our coaches suck, our fans suck, our owner sucks, we all suck.

It isn't meant to be for this city, we fans, this owner, these coaches, these players, nobody.

I'm done.

The last worthless afternoon i spend with this pathetic franchise.

I hope we lose the team, I hope they move.

I hate this ****ing team & I'm absolutey done.

I am officially a Pittsburg Steeler fan forever.

That City is meant for champions.

Our City is for losers.

Later Losers.

devilsdancefloor
10-14-2009, 11:25 PM
tonyu i am willing to bet that guy is back to being a bengals fan. Hell here a few guys i had no clue where bengals fans have shown up with bengals gear on. :noidea:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-14-2009, 11:51 PM
The Browns have sold out every game since they came back in 1999. They sold out a ton of games before the team was uprooted and moved to Baltimore.

The Bengals have an exciting, young, good defense. They have a very good franchise QB. The offense isn't bad, it isn't the 2005 Bengals offense but it isn't the inept offense it was last year either.

Cinci fans suck, but we already knew that!

X-Terminator
10-15-2009, 01:19 AM
even if they are above .500 the fans still know they suck.

This. The fans aren't buying the hype. They know that they could just as easily be 0-5 instead of 4-1.

stillers4me
10-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Cinci fans suck, but we already knew that!

The fans aren't buying the hype. They know that they could just as easily be 0-5 instead of 4-1.

There was an article in the the sports section about how "conflicted" the Cinci fans are. :doh: What a bunch of imbiciles.

They are the biggest bunch of bandwagon fans you ever saw. For the last few years, you would see a few Bengals shirts in the stores on game days. Now.....the entire freaking city has gotten their Palmer jerseys out of the mothballs. I even saw one brand spanking new, sparkly white, only worn for one week "division championship" hat at Walmart. :sofunny:

They can actually wear their Bengals coats, now that the Bengals are winning (an actual quote from a bungal fan just today). :chuckle:

steelreserve
10-15-2009, 03:52 AM
There's a guy at my work who lives in Cincinnati and has season tickets to the Bengals. He's been bitching for years, d it's funny to see how this year, he's optimistic, but so cautious. Like some prey animal poking its head out of a burrow hardly daring to believe it's all clear outside. It will be fun watching his hopes get crushed.

Ravnet
10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
The Chargers were 2,000 short before our game a few weeks back, and that was pretty sad considering how successful their franchise has been, but 7,000 in Cincinnati? That is pathetic.

revefsreleets
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
They should have built a stadium that holds about 45,000...like a baseball sized venue...

Edman
10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Becuase Bengal fans secretly know that if they keep buying tickets, it'll give Mike Brown tenure and an excuse to keep up what he's been doing for the past several years. And as we all know, the Bengal fans hate Brown with a passion.

AllD
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Their fans suck worse than the bandwagon Cardinal fans.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Their fans suck worse than the bandwagon Cardinal fans.

I don't think the Bengals would need a 24 hour extension to sell out a damn playoff game.

43Hitman
10-15-2009, 08:38 PM
heres a post i found on a bungles board after they lost the 1st game of the season to the broncos (im pretty sure they know it is a fluke and dont want to be crushed by the inevitable collapse)-

We didn't deserve the win & the football gods did this to us because we suck.

Our town sucks, our team sucks, our coaches suck, our fans suck, our owner sucks, we all suck.

It isn't meant to be for this city, we fans, this owner, these coaches, these players, nobody.

I'm done.

The last worthless afternoon i spend with this pathetic franchise.

I hope we lose the team, I hope they move.

I hate this ****ing team & I'm absolutey done.

I am officially a Pittsburg Steeler fan forever.

That City is meant for champions.

Our City is for losers.

Later Losers.

It's sad really. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

stlrtruck
10-16-2009, 08:44 AM
They should have built a stadium that holds about 45,000...like a baseball sized venue...

What do you mean, their stadium only holds 45,000 bungals fans for a home game. The remaining seats are sold to visiting team's fans.

revefsreleets
10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
What do you mean, their stadium only holds 45,000 bungals fans for a home game. The remaining seats are sold to visiting team's fans.

They could bring in 40,000 temporary seats for when they play the Steelers...there would be 10,000 Bungals fans, and 75,000 Steelers fans...

HometownGal
10-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Crotcho Stinko saves the day. :jerkit:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/16/child-please-ochocinco-helps-bengals-avoid-blackout/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fnfl.fanhouse.com%2F200 9%2F10%2F16%2Fchild-please-ochocinco-helps-bengals-avoid-blackout%2F

Child, Please! Ochocinco Helps Bengals Avoid Blackout

Posted Oct 16, 2009 3:05PM By Dan Graziano (RSS feed)

CINCINNATI -- Chad Ochocinco is taking some of the credit for the fact that Bengals fans in this area will be able to see the team play on TV on Sunday, and it appears he does have something to do with it. On Thursday the Bengals asked for (and got) a one-day extension of the league's deadline for selling out Sunday's home game against the Houston Texans. Had they not done so by Friday afternoon, the game would have been blacked out in the local market. And as of Thursday night, about 3,000 tickets remained unsold.

But at 1:08 p.m. Eastern time, Ochocinco announced on his Twitter page that he and Motorola had bought the remaining tickets and would be giving them away. Problem solved.

"Attention: On behalf of Motorola and Esteban Ocho Cinco we've purchased the remaining tickets for Sundays game= no blackout" the announcement read. It was followed by a tweet that told followers to "stay tuned" to find out how to get the tickets. Four minutes later came this:

"Again there will be no blackout this Sunday, special thanks to Motorola and The Interesting One"

He does keep things interesting, and for a while this seemed as if it were just Ocho being Ocho. But the Bengals release announcing the sellout confirms their star receiver's involvement. It appears he aided in the purchase of 1,200 of the remaining tickets.

"Motorola will give away 1,200 tickets (600 pairs of tickets) to Bengals fans for free, starting at 11:30 am Saturday at the North Ticket Office at Paul Brown Stadium," the release reads. "Motorola is a long-time sponsor of the Bengals and has a newly aligned partnership with Bengals WR Chad Ochocinco."

Ochocinco has recently been using his Twitter account as a way to give away things to fans. He's met people out for dinner at local restaurants, and later Friday night he's offering free tickets to the first 40 people to join him at a showing of "Law Abiding Citizen" at an area movie theater.

Earlier in the day, when Ocho was speaking about the way in which he's using Twitter to distribute free stuff, a Cincinnati reporter asked him for a quote about it. As expected, he delivered one:

"Oprah who?" he said.

CantStop85
10-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Crotcho Stinko saves the day. :jerkit:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/16/child-please-ochocinco-helps-bengals-avoid-blackout/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fnfl.fanhouse.com%2F200 9%2F10%2F16%2Fchild-please-ochocinco-helps-bengals-avoid-blackout%2F

Child, Please! Ochocinco Helps Bengals Avoid Blackout

Posted Oct 16, 2009 3:05PM By Dan Graziano (RSS feed)

CINCINNATI -- Chad Ochocinco is taking some of the credit for the fact that Bengals fans in this area will be able to see the team play on TV on Sunday, and it appears he does have something to do with it. On Thursday the Bengals asked for (and got) a one-day extension of the league's deadline for selling out Sunday's home game against the Houston Texans. Had they not done so by Friday afternoon, the game would have been blacked out in the local market. And as of Thursday night, about 3,000 tickets remained unsold.

But at 1:08 p.m. Eastern time, Ochocinco announced on his Twitter page that he and Motorola had bought the remaining tickets and would be giving them away. Problem solved.

"Attention: On behalf of Motorola and Esteban Ocho Cinco we've purchased the remaining tickets for Sundays game= no blackout" the announcement read. It was followed by a tweet that told followers to "stay tuned" to find out how to get the tickets. Four minutes later came this:

"Again there will be no blackout this Sunday, special thanks to Motorola and The Interesting One"

He does keep things interesting, and for a while this seemed as if it were just Ocho being Ocho. But the Bengals release announcing the sellout confirms their star receiver's involvement. It appears he aided in the purchase of 1,200 of the remaining tickets.

"Motorola will give away 1,200 tickets (600 pairs of tickets) to Bengals fans for free, starting at 11:30 am Saturday at the North Ticket Office at Paul Brown Stadium," the release reads. "Motorola is a long-time sponsor of the Bengals and has a newly aligned partnership with Bengals WR Chad Ochocinco."

Ochocinco has recently been using his Twitter account as a way to give away things to fans. He's met people out for dinner at local restaurants, and later Friday night he's offering free tickets to the first 40 people to join him at a showing of "Law Abiding Citizen" at an area movie theater.

Earlier in the day, when Ocho was speaking about the way in which he's using Twitter to distribute free stuff, a Cincinnati reporter asked him for a quote about it. As expected, he delivered one:

"Oprah who?" he said.

What a terrible, terrible human being.

43Hitman
10-17-2009, 03:43 PM

No one said he was a terrible person. A douche noozle maybe, but not a terrible person.

HometownGal
10-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Who the hell said he is a terrible human being? He's an asshole, a douchenozzle and an attention ho but he obviously does have a heart.

hindes204
10-17-2009, 05:32 PM
hes an idiot.......albeit, an idiot witha good heart......but still an idiot

RoethlisBURGHer
10-17-2009, 11:26 PM

Well, it's true. Forcing the television network to carry something that nobody is going to watch! :flap:

Nah, it's cool what he did. I love that the fans are getting the tix free of charge, first come-first serve.

revefsreleets
10-18-2009, 09:33 AM
This is just more self-serving nonsense...if the game isn't televised, there will be less people to watch Stinko's self-centered attention whoring jackassery, and he simply can't have that...

stillers4me
10-18-2009, 11:39 AM
This is just more self-serving nonsense...if the game isn't televised, there will be less people to watch Stinko's self-centered attention whoring jackassery, and he simply can't have that...

Ding ding ding! Another winner!

Assholio has plans to crowd surf this week....can't have a blackout!

steelerohio
10-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Poor bengals fans... got forced to watch their teams lose to the Texans... and the end wasn't even heart attack worthy...

stlrtruck
10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd like to remind people of his antics with the 'Car Raffle' a few years ago when he just gave the thing to his g/f instead of actually raffling it off.

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I'd like to remind people of his antics with the 'Car Raffle' a few years ago when he just gave the thing to his g/f instead of actually raffling it off.

Bingo!

He was a complete jerk last year on and off the field. Remember how he just sat on the field after fumbling the ball, scrambling to get it back? He has punched coaches and teammates, and bad mouthed the team and it's fans on national radio and Marv has enabled him the entire time. His whiney, juvenile antics to get traded last year didn't work so this year his phoney, "ain't I just a great human being" act is being swallowed hook, line and sinker by the pathetic fanbase desperate for any sign of life in their football team.

I live here so I see it everyday.

Just wait until the Bungals season completely falls apart and you will see the real OchoAssholio trying to get outa town again.