PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland players still call Steelers a rivalry, and look to exorcise demons Sunday

mesaSteeler
10-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Cleveland players still call Steelers a rivalry, and looking to exorcise demons Sunday
October 15, 2:29 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m10d15-Cleveland-players-still-call-Steelers-a-rivalry-and--looking-to-exorcise-demons-Sunday

CLEVELAND - It is one of the most storied rivalries in the NFL, the oldest in the AFC North, but since the Browns returned in 1999 it has been a one-sided black and gold fest at best.
During that period, the Steelers have won two Super Bowls and had two coaches in Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin, the Browns have been to the playoffs just once, losing to the Steelers and they have had three, Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel

Cowher went 21-5 against the Browns,Tomlin is 4-0, and well the Browns guys? They've won just three of 19 contests. So much for the turnpike rivalry.

But the Browns, now under the guidance of a new coach in Eric Mangini, with many new faces are looking for some payback, if not a little respect.

"With the Steelers, I think everybodyís excited to get working on it," Mangini said. "Everybody appreciates the rivalry, the intensity, the passion, especially playing in their stadium and the type of environment that is and the challenges it creates."

The last time the Browns faced the Steelers at Heinz Field it was a debacle. They lost 31-0 and were completely listless. But it was a much closer game in week two, when the Steelers eked out a 10-6 win in Cleveland during a driving rain storm with hurricane force winds.

In 2008 the Steelers smacked the Browns around during the opener in Cleveland, 34-7, but at Heinz Field, won 31-28.

"The games that I have played in, we just havenít finished. We have played pretty well and we just havenít finished the ball game," Browns quarterback Derek Anderson said. " I donít want to get too involved in the story about us not beating them 11 times in a row or anything like that. Itís a new season. Itís a new year. We are different players then they have had in the past. We are a different team."

So yes, the Browns have come close to beating the Steelers and have played well at times, but close is good only in hand grenades and horseshoes. When it comes to past history of playing the men of steel, there seems to be some kind of jinx hanging over the Browns.

Back in the early 1980's former coach Sam Rutigliano discounted that notion, telling reporters after a loss in Pittsburgh; "That jinx baloney is for Halloween. Naive questions like that deserve naive answers." and that philosophy seems to be the approach the current Browns are taking to Sunday's game.

"There is no mental block," left tackle Joe Thomas said. "This is a new team this year and there are a lot of new faces, guys who have never even played the Steelers. It all comes down to doing your assignments and making plays like any week."

While many of the current Steelers don't look at the game as being the rivalry it used to be, many of the Browns who have been around realize the significance and meaning of it and what a win would do for a city that has come upon hard times.

"I think the excitement of the game, the rivalry," Anderson said. " Kellen (Winslow) and Joey Porter going at it. Him stiff arming Joey and all of that. The emotion that is in the game. I think both teams understand the rivalry. Obviously, I have a sour taste in my mouth from the time when we had them down, up there a couple years ago. I will never forget that.Ē

Josh Cribbs, who has been the one constant thorn in the Steelers side since donning a Browns uniform, added this about the rivarly.

"I believe so. You can ask any Browns fan," Cribbs said. "That will make their life, their day, their week, however you want to look at it, if we can beat this football team. Theyíre a great football team.

"They went to the Super Bowl in the past three years numerous times. Theyíre a great football team, great quarterback, great defense. We have to be on our game to match up with them."

stlrtruck
10-15-2009, 08:50 AM
A new coach
A new set of beatings
Nothing new in the results

The_WARDen
10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Sorry, it's no longer a rivalry when they can't beat the Steelers. Somewhere down the road they can renew the rivalry but right now the Steelers own them and have for a decade.

XxKnightxX
10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Uhhhhhhhh.......No. Nuff said

WeegiesWarriors
10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
You don't know how big of a game this is for Steeler fans in Northern Ohio. Watching the two Super Bowls will be the ultimate thrill for me as a fan, but right behind that is this winning streak over the Stains. Browns fans disgust me.. for this week that includes my in-laws.

Christian Snyder
10-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry, it's no longer a rivalry when they can't beat the Steelers. Somewhere down the road they can renew the rivalry but right now the Steelers own them and have for a decade. Agreed.:tt04::tt02:

Nadroj 20
10-15-2009, 02:55 PM
This can not be a rivalry. Both teams have to be pretty even and both teams should have their fair share of victories against each other and its not even close.

MasterOfPuppets
10-15-2009, 03:32 PM
well the way the steelers have been mailing in the second half and playing down to the competition, i'm not putting a check in the W column just yet. remember back in the 90's they used to wear those shirts that said 60 minutes ?

xfl2001fan
10-15-2009, 03:43 PM
It used to be a rivalry...and I wish it would be again (starting on Sunday.) However, until we can prove that we can win, it's not a rivalry. It's just another beating.

Edman
10-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, the true rivalry with the Browns moved to Baltimore and became a shade of purple. Thanks Fart Modell. Steelers/Browns before the move was becoming pretty heated and the games were ALWAYS close. Just like Steelers/Ravens today. When the Browns left, the spirit left. The New Browns had a good start in reigniting the rivalry (Beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh in 1999, and again in Cleveland in 2000) but since have been unable to recapture that spirit.

Even if the Browns pull off the upset Sunday, it's still a while to go before it becomes a nasty rivalry again.

wootawnee
10-15-2009, 05:52 PM
THE BROWNIES NEED SOMEONE LIKE MIKE SINGLETARTY UP IN THERE........

HANG IN THERE CLEVELAND.......

LVSteelersfan
10-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Sorry, I don't consider the EXPANSION Browns a rivalry. The rivalry is still with the old Browns in Baltimore. Just because they called them the same thing and let them keep their old records does not make them the old Cleveland Browns. They are the EXPANSION Cleveland Clowns and will remain so as long as the current regime keeps hiring Belicheat disciples.

Dino 6 Rings
10-15-2009, 05:59 PM
The Browns ARE still a Rivalry.

Want Proof?

1999 their first year back. Opening Game, the Steelers beat the living snot out of the "new Browns" 43-0 and embarressed them on their new home field.

Fast forward to November 14, at OUR Stadium, the Browns beat us on a last second field goal 16-15. That's right. The "new" team that we destroyed in week one came back and got their 2nd win and last win of the Season against their Hated Rivals.

That's Right. Ask West Virginia what happens when you don't take a rivalry seriously. Ask Pittburgh 99 what happens when you don't take it seriously.

The Browns are OUR Rival. The current record is Steelers 57 Wins Browns 55 Wins. THAT is a Fcking Rivalry and if anyone tries to look past the Browns we will all be puking our guts up this Sunday after losing to them. Remember how it feels to lose to the Browns? Well I DO and IT SUCKS! I'll have NONE OF IT! NONE!

Angus Burgher
10-15-2009, 06:10 PM
I agree and it had damn well be 58 after Sunday.

The way I see it, every team in your division is a rival. The real question is, which rival do you hate the most?

I hate the Ravens more than the two Ohio teams simply because I worked in Baltimore when the Steelers went 8-8 after winning Super Bowl XL. Believe me, that was rough. I wanted to punch someone every Monday at the office. More than usual, I mean.

Also, I lived in York for a while, which is an area split three ways between Steelers, Ravens and Eagles fans. Still, that wasn't too bad last weekend, when I came home to visit. I was in a bar full of douche Ravenites that all left pissed off after they lost. :)

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-15-2009, 07:18 PM

Want Proof?

1999 their first year back. Opening Game, the Steelers beat the living snot out of the "new Browns" 43-0 and embarressed them on their new home field.

Fast forward to November 14, at OUR Stadium, the Browns beat us on a last second field goal 16-15. That's right. The "new" team that we destroyed in week one came back and got their 2nd win and last win of the Season against their Hated Rivals.

That's Right. Ask West Virginia what happens when you don't take a rivalry seriously. Ask Pittburgh 99 what happens when you don't take it seriously.

The Browns are OUR Rival. The current record is Steelers 57 Wins Browns 55 Wins. THAT is a Fcking Rivalry and if anyone tries to look past the Browns we will all be puking our guts up this Sunday after losing to them. Remember how it feels to lose to the Browns? Well I DO and IT SUCKS! I'll have NONE OF IT! NONE!

This

Also, who has given the Steelers their worst loss in history?

The Browns on opening day in '89 and if you talked to every Browns fan who was alive during that time they probably enjoyed every minute of it.

As much as some Steeler fans would like to believe that the Ravens are the new "main" rivals and such, it's not.

I like to compare this to another rivalry that involves Ohio, in the TOSU-Meatchicken. For a long, long time during the '90's cooper couldn't/didn't get the rivalry and what followed was the Bucks getting hammered by the evilness of Tim Biabituka and Desmond Howard, but suddenly in '01 the Tide changed and Tressel has owned Michigan.

Ironically at the time in the 90's Meatchicken fans claimed that MSU was their true rival and OSU wasn't, their tune sure changed this decade. ;).

Is the rivalry in a down period for us Browns fans? Sure, but we used to hammer you guys in the early days and then most of the '80's, and I believe the pendulum will swing back one day.

I hate the Steelers (no disrespect, just how i was raided), and would like nothing more than one win from them. That would make my season as a Browns fan.

We've hated the Steelers, it's how we've been raised, like we hate the Yankees/Sox and Michigan. It's nothing to do with jealously, just pure old fashioned hatred. :). And we'd like nothing more to one day bring that hatred back to the other side instead of it being a joke.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I HATE THE BROWNS.

I hate most of their fans.

I hope we destroy them 70-0 on Sunday.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

Edman
10-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Even though Cleveland sucks. We've still come pretty close to losing to them these past years. We were THIS close to losing the AFC North to them in 2007 if it weren't for Ben's heroics. They're going to get one over on us someday, so enjoy the current winning streak against them while we can, and hope it continue Sunday. Hell, Mangina once coached a 1-8 Jets team to beat us back in 2007. So anything can happen Sunday. We may be in for a surprise.

The Cleveland fans have done a great job keeping up the hatred. The Browns team may not be hateable... yet.... but their fans sure are. They'll be even more annoying if the Browns win.

So **** you Cleveland.

mulldog24
10-15-2009, 09:33 PM

Want Proof?

I agree with you 100% especially since I am gonna be there sunday and I don't want to drive 6 damn hours back home with a bad brown's victory hanging over my head!!! NO WAY!!!! NO DAMN WAY!!!!!!!:banging:

wootawnee
10-15-2009, 11:11 PM
I like the browns way better than the bungals........

Godfather
10-15-2009, 11:41 PM
A hammer and nail are not rivals.

Steelers & I
10-16-2009, 01:51 AM
I don't view the Browns as a rival. Even when the Browns have decent seasons, like in 1994 and 2002, the Steelers still beat their A$$ES in the playoffs. I view the Ravens, Patriots, and Titans as Steelers rivals, the Browns blow.

Preacher
10-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Is there a dislike? Yeah. hatred? Sure... least a sports hatred.

However, there is no rivalry now. Our rivals are the Ravens and the Pats right now.

Not even the Bungles and their last second win constitutes them as a rivalry. Just lucky.

redst3
10-16-2009, 03:16 AM

That's one of my personal worst memories. That one is right there with the year the Chargers stopped the Steelers on the 3 yard line in the AFC Championship. I say its still a rivalry

Galax Steeler
10-16-2009, 04:33 AM
No way is this a rivalry now. It is not like it was a few years back when we would play in Cleveland in the dog pound days. It used to be good games between the two teams but now it is just another game.

4xSBChamps
10-16-2009, 06:32 AM
... I have a special fondness for my Browns fan friends. I feel sorta protective of them, like the kid brother who can't help but lick windows.

"..... Cleveland is the only place in America, where when you see a couple, walking down the street carrying their groceries.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/MyronCopeon-airatWTAE1250.jpg

..... their neighbors think they have matching-luggage!!!!!"

xvdougl
10-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey remember last season when the undefeated Giants 5-0 went to visit the Browns? They probably liked their chances for an easy W too. We’re -4 in turnovers this season and continuing that trend can get us into trouble in a game we should and must win. Going down 0-2 in the division would almost certainly put us into the “hope we can get a wildcard” scenario.

1) Rashard needs to watch his ball security!
2) Ben doesn’t need to force any balls (we won’t need him to throw for 400 yds).
3) Special teams, special teams, special teams!

We take care of the above, we win this game by double digits!

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2009, 09:45 AM
No way is this a rivalry now. It is not like it was a few years back when we would play in Cleveland in the dog pound days. It used to be good games between the two teams but now it is just another game.

yeah, Mountaineer fans were saying the same shiiiit 3 years ago...and over looked their Rival in the BackYard Brawl and it cost them a shot at the national title.

Ef that! The Browns are our RIVAL and if we lose this weekend, anyone thinking otherwise will remember why they hate the freaking Browns!

markymarc
10-17-2009, 03:32 PM
The Brownies and Steelers aren't even close to being a rivalry anymore. The only team in our division that is a rivalry is the Ravens. The demons will still be exorcising the Brownies tomorrow.