PDA

View Full Version : Jerome "THE BUS" Bettis says........

SteelerFanInATL
10-15-2009, 08:45 AM
While I was listening to "The Two Live Stews" yesterday (a sports talk radio show here in ATL) Jerome Bettis was on talking about football. When asked about how he felt about MENDENHALL, he mentioned that he likes the young guy and all he needs is more touches and game experience and the only way to get it is to let him play. NIce to here from our future HOF'er. Do you think maybe the coaches could be feeling the same and will FWP be a starter once he comes back from injury???? Two major busts in one draft, I don't think so. One of them will shine and it looks like Mendy will be it if he keeps up his production.

PS- I still haven't given up on SWEED!!!!!!!!!!!!:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

The Lakelander
10-15-2009, 09:11 AM
What you need to understand is that Bettis is BFF's with Willie Parker and it is Bettis who has whispered into Parker's ear about "taking it easy" in 2009 ... a contract year no doubt, but more critically it's the last year of Parker's current contract.

If FWP blows out a knee this year, he's not getting that next contract from any NFL team!

Thus ... "turf toe"!

And then ... "tender hammy"!

And then ... "back spasms"!

By missing games now, Parker gets what he wants ... a "healthy" ticket out of town.

He is running more tentatively than at any point in his short career.

This is troubling only to the extent that Mendenhall would bust and/or the Steelers would have a deep run into the post-season ... both scenarios which Parker dreads!

Childers711
10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
I guess I need to address two things. One, if FWP doesn't play well by running too "safely", then he will not get a good payday by leaving. If he gets injured he doesn't get a good payday.

His only option if he is wanting out of town is to play like his career depends on the next long run, because it really does.

Second, I was at Memorial Stadium in Champaign and watched every Mendenhall home game for the Illini. He will be no bust. He is the real deal. I think he just needed time to get up to NFL speed and get used to not being a super star.

The_WARDen
10-15-2009, 09:28 AM
What you need to understand is that Bettis is BFF's with Willie Parker and it is Bettis who has whispered into Parker's ear about "taking it easy" in 2009 ... a contract year no doubt, but more critically it's the last year of Parker's current contract.

If FWP blows out a knee this year, he's not getting that next contract from any NFL team!

Thus ... "turf toe"!

By missing games now, Parker gets what he wants ... a "healthy" ticket out of town.

This is troubling only to the extent that Mendenhall would bust and/or the Steelers would have a deep run into the post-season ... both scenarios which Parker dreads!

I missed the part where he ran with purpose. It seems soooo long ago.

Texasteel
10-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Thus ... "turf toe"!

I don't know if I am reading this correctly, but it sound like you are saying that

Bettis has told Parker not to play hard.

That Parker is exaggerating his injuries.

That Parker hopes that we do not do well in the playoffs.

Was that you intent?

SteelMember
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Maybe Jerome was explaining how to get placed on IR so he wouldn't get cut. :stirthepot:

tyler289
10-15-2009, 11:31 AM
I hope that if FWP struggles when he comes back, that the team is not afraid to give Mendenhall a lot of touches. The last thing we need is the team hanging on to the hope that Willie will become 2007 Willie.

stlrtruck
10-15-2009, 12:25 PM

This is definitely the year that this has become more evident. Whether he's taking it easy or just not 100% physically or mentally prepared he's going to be seeing the writing on the wall if Mendenhall continues to perform at the level he's at right now.

I guess I need to address two things. One, if FWP doesn't play well by running too "safely", then he will not get a good payday by leaving. If he gets injured he doesn't get a good payday.

There's always Al Davis and a trip to the West Coast.

I hope that if FWP struggles when he comes back, that the team is not afraid to give Mendenhall a lot of touches. The last thing we need is the team hanging on to the hope that Willie will become 2007 Willie.

:iagree: The coach can't be afraid to put FWP in a backup role if it helps the team succeed.

steelreserve
10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Heh, the Raiders comment was exactly what I was thinking. Every player in the league is one lucky play away from winning the Al Davis Lottery.

I still don't buy the theories about Willie "taking it easy" because he doesn't want to get hurt in a contract year. He keeps playing like this, and he'll be out of football next year.

I hope that the coaches are ready to put in whatever running back and whatever offensive scheme is going to help us win, but I still have the feeling that as soon as Parker is declared healthy, it'll be back to Parker-only for the remainder of the season whether he sucks or not. That's become so hard-wired into our thinking that maybe it's all we know. Or maybe we've learned, but old habits die hard, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Angus Burgher
10-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Whether they play Rashard or Willie (or both) this week, I don't know that it will really answer any long-term questions about the running game. This will be the third straight week against a mediocre defense. Don't get me wrong, I hope that we run right over them and rack up a ridiculous score like 56-0 or so... but I really think the next true challege will come when we play the Vikes.

If the Steelers can avoid sacks from Jared Allen and score TDs while holding AP to minimal yards and intercepting Favre... they can beat any team in the league.

MaidenIndiana
10-15-2009, 01:14 PM
How does taking it easy and playing tentively during a contract season going to get you a big payday:noidea: Seems to me that it would be the exact opposite. However if that's what FWP is thinking or if he is really hurting, he might want to remember the name Wally Pip

steelreserve
10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
If the Steelers can avoid sacks from Jared Allen and score TDs while holding AP to minimal yards and intercepting Favre... they can beat any team in the league.

And in other news, 2+2 = 4, and if you eat food, you won't starve.

Dino 6 Rings
10-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Well all I know is Mendenhall better prepare this week as if he's starting. Last time he "flaked" off a game he was benched. That won't cut it on this team so even if Parker is going to start, Mendy needs to prepare as if he's the starter and be ready to carry the rock when his number is called. Otherwise if he slacks off, he is going to be riding the pine again.

revefsreleets
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
How does taking it easy and playing tentively during a contract season going to get you a big payday:noidea: Seems to me that it would be the exact opposite.

You're correct...it's the EXACT opposite.

IF WP doesn't really care about team or football (which I don't believe THAT to be the case either), then he'd play his guts out THIS year, land the big FA payday and THEN take it easy having secured the truly big money from some other team.

You don't get huge contracts by being tentative and sandbagging...

KYsteelfan
10-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I think if he is healthy he will do great when he comes back. The line has finally come together with each other. I really cant believe that FWP would want to take it easy. that gets him no where. the man is an athlete and is competitive, it would rub him bad to just sit there and play bad when he could do better. FWP also knows that he is getting into the back end of his career and that Mendy is the future. but he will play just fine

sharkweek
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
how is faking a bunch of injuries and looking terrible on the field better than trying and risking a real injury?

a bunch of little nagging injuries keeping him out of games suggests to me he's wearing down and becoming more and more injury prone if I'm another team looking at him

revefsreleets
10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
By the way, it's "Da Bus"...get it right!:sofunny:

Sharkissle29
10-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Well all I know is Mendenhall better prepare this week as if he's starting. Last time he "flaked" off a game he was benched. That won't cut it on this team so even if Parker is going to start, Mendy needs to prepare as if he's the starter and be ready to carry the rock when his number is called. Otherwise if he slacks off, he is going to be riding the pine again.

I think Mendy learned his lesson from Tomlin.

Even the o-line has said he plays with a different look in his eyes now

Angus Burgher
10-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah, though it's still early, I see a lot of drive in Mendenhall. I hope he keeps going and has a HUGE year, regardless of where Willie is at or not.

When we play Baltimore, I'd kill to see Mendy stiff-arm Ray Lewis into the dirt and have a 200-yard game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2009, 03:46 PM
This is one of the analysis that I thought was good in Mendenhall's draft year.

Mayock on Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall vs. Arkansas’ Darren McFadden: “Mendenhall translates better to the NFL game. He’s 225 pounds and has great feet and tremendous burst and acceleration for a player of his size. My biggest concern with McFadden is that although he also has great burst and acceleration, I don’t think he has the lower body strength that you’re looking for in a first-round NFL back.”

Mendenhall will be fine, but I think we all have to keep in mind that he spent 2 years playing behind Pierre Thomas at Illinois and left as a junior. He's still developing.

MasterOfPuppets
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
How does taking it easy and playing tentively during a contract season going to get you a big payday:noidea: Seems to me that it would be the exact opposite. However if that's what FWP is thinking or if he is really hurting, he might want to remember the name Wally Pip really...thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard. you don't mail it in when your looking for a new contact unless you've got a strong foothold in the league. parker isn't exactly "established" in the league especially after last year and the mounting injuries. and being 30 doesn't help his cause.

SteelGhost
10-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Maybe FWP has another injury besides the turf toe ... or the toe is torturing him big time :noidea:

steelerdave1969
10-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Thus ... "turf toe"!

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought most people played Harder During Their Contract Seasons... maybe I am wrong, but I dont think so.
This post makes no sense at all to me..

wootawnee
10-15-2009, 05:51 PM
GUARENTEE THE PATRIOTS PICK UP FWP IF HE LEAVES TOWN...........

GUARENTEED........

ricksteelers55
10-16-2009, 12:33 AM
GUARENTEE THE PATRIOTS PICK UP FWP IF HE LEAVES TOWN...........

GUARENTEED........

funny cause i see him more like going to the Arizona Steelers.They have Beenie Wells so FWP could be a good combo with Beenie.

The_WARDen
10-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Maybe FWP has another injury besides the turf toe ... or the toe is torturing him big time :noidea:

or maybe, like many RBs before him, he's hit that wall...

SteelGhost
10-16-2009, 11:01 AM
or maybe, like many RBs before him, he's hit that wall...

Sad but true :horror:

Angus Burgher
10-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I think that the jury's still out on whether his poorer performances are his fault or the fault of the offensive line (there are decent arguments for both) but either way, that day is coming if it isn't here yet.

KeiselPower99
10-16-2009, 12:20 PM
funny cause i see him more like going to the Arizona Steelers.They have Beenie Wells so FWP could be a good combo with Beenie.

They have Hightower.

markymarc
10-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Bettis is dead on when talking about Mendenhall only needing more touches during the games. I love everything FWP has done for the Steelers and know he can still run hard, but Mendenhall is showing that he can be an every down RB for the Steelers!

SteelerFanInATL
10-17-2009, 07:17 PM
By the way, it's "Da Bus"...get it right!:sofunny:

WOW!!!!!!!!!! As if I didn't know:banging::banging:

The Lakelander
10-17-2009, 10:10 PM
How does taking it easy and playing tentively during a contract season going to get you a big payday:noidea: Seems to me that it would be the exact opposite. However if that's what FWP is thinking or if he is really hurting, he might want to remember the name Wally Pip

Parker already had his big payday ...

He's just looking for one last payday now ...

One more contract in the NFL is all he is looking for ...

If he lands a 2 or 3 year contract next year, he can ride into the sunset ...

He's not playing for a bonanza right now ...

And trust me, he's shown enough through his career with the Steelers to land a contract irregardless of how he plays this year.

solardave
10-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Parker already had his big payday ...

He's just looking for one last payday now ...

One more contract in the NFL is all he is looking for ...

If he lands a 2 or 3 year contract next year, he can ride into the sunset ...

He's not playing for a bonanza right now ...

And trust me, he's shown enough through his career with the Steelers to land a contract irregardless of how he plays this year.

There is a lot in what you say. I know him and Jerome are tight. I know Jerome played hurt a lot just to stay with the Steelers. He said that he honestly thought they would have cut, or trade him if they knew how bad he was hurting. And really I think Willie will be on another team next year anyway.Rashard Mendenhal is the future back. Willie won't be the backup. I don't see him getting big money but I see him more as a situational back for another team. Less wear and tear = better production when it comes to FWP.