PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall is sick

willie_district
10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Sickness sidelines Mendenhall, so Steelers give Parker more work

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall missed practice Thursday with flu-like symptoms, allowing Willie Parker to take more carries with the starters as he returns from a two-week layoff with a toe injury.

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians says he likely will not pick a featured back until game time Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Mendenhall, a first-round draft pick last year, ran for 165 yards against the San Diego Chargers and 77 against the Detroit Lions after Parker injured his left big toe during a Sept. 27 game against the Cincinnati Bengals. The Steelers are hopeful that Mendenhall can practice Friday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8136fcf0&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

BlastFurnace
10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
If that is the case...rest him.

steelpride12
10-15-2009, 08:11 PM
rest him, Parker will do

The Definiti0n
10-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Theory:
Rashard is from Chicago, and more than likely grew up idolizing a certain Chicago sports legend. Micheal Jordan...

What happened every time Micheal Jordan came down with the "Flu"? BUCKETS!!!

I think we might see the rushing record challenged this Sunday.

OX1947
10-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Browns have been sick since 1999. So, things should even out now.

Nadroj 20
10-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Its not like we are going against a very tough D this weekend

I would rest mendy but hey this is only thursday so he could be ready to go sunday.

Angus Burgher
10-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Hope he gets well soon, and if he's not 100%, then they should probably start Willie on Sunday.

Mendy needs to be healthy for Minnesota. I still think it's premature to declare him a star runningback yet, but I'd take him over Parker against a strong defense like Minnesota.

wootawnee
10-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Dwight White had the flu and lost like 20 lbs in the hospital and still played great in super bowl IX......

Its thursday, he'll kick the green stuff by sunday....

Spinlcrack
10-15-2009, 11:20 PM
You better have your playbook with you.

Get well soon.

onefortheotherhand
10-15-2009, 11:36 PM
i was hoping the thread was about how awsome mendy was...

The Duke
10-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Has willie ever had a bad game against cleveland?

Start him. and get mendenhall full speed for the vikes game!

GridironWarrior
10-15-2009, 11:57 PM
I have him and Parker on FF team, who should I start? I'm 5-0 so far.

Preacher
10-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Has willie ever had a bad game against cleveland?

Start him. and get mendenhall full speed for the vikes game!

Bingo.

Let WIllie get back in teh action. THen, hopefully we have two RB's who are ready to go full-tilt when we need them aganst the Vikings just before the break.

steelreserve
10-16-2009, 12:49 AM
We should play Mendenhall as much as possible so he can get the opponents sick.

Browns play the Packers next week, then the Packers play the Vikings the week after, so with a little bit of luck, we can give Brett Favre the flu. Although he's probably already got swine flu from being in Mississippi all summer and rolling around in pigshit.

Preacher
10-16-2009, 01:33 AM
We should play Mendenhall as much as possible so he can get the opponents sick.

Browns play the Packers next week, then the Packers play the Vikings the week after, so with a little bit of luck, we can give Brett Favre the flu. Although he's probably already got swine flu from being in Mississippi all summer and rolling around in pigshit.

:rofl:

I know your willie hatred runs deep... but I LOVE the sense of humor you bring with it!

Galax Steeler
10-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Hopefully Mendenhall will be ready for Sunday. I was wanting to see him carry his hot streak on against the Stains. If not I guess Parker will have to do.

WH
10-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Why not rest both Willie AND Rashard and just start Mewelde....

It's the Browns.

Slick93
10-16-2009, 06:23 AM
i was hoping the thread was about how awsome mendy was...

I actually thought the same thing when I read the title. Imagine my disappointment, if Mendy's not healthy rest him. Let Parker have the start against the Browns and make sure Mendy is healthy for next week, we'll need him a lot more then IMHO.

Steelboy84
10-16-2009, 09:31 AM
He'll be good to go I believe.

Angus Burgher
10-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Why not rest both Willie AND Rashard and just start Mewelde....

It's the Browns.

We should use Mewelde a lot more often, period. The guy is so reliable and I feel like he gets passed over way too often. It was good to see him get utilized a lot more in the San Diego game.

KeiselPower99
10-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Mendenhalls status is in doubt.
Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports the Steelers sent running back Rashard Mendenhall home Thursday because of an illness, putting into question how much he will be able to play Sunday against the visiting Browns.

Mendenhall has started the past two games for the injured Willie Parker (turf toe) and rushed for 242 yards and three touchdowns.

If the illness is a lingering one and limits Mendenhall in the 1 p.m. game, the Steelers will probably be able to lean on Parker.

Parker was a full participant in drills again yesterday

I think we could see Redman brought back up because of Willies toe and Mendenalls illness.

Twizted
10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
The game is against the Browns, why not just rest him. There's really no need in trying to push him back while he's sick or even too soon. :toofunny: Again, it's the Browns for heavens sake. Start Parker and let Moore get some carries as well if need be.

SteelerFanInStl
10-16-2009, 02:33 PM
The game is against the Browns, why not just rest him. There's really no need in trying to push him back while he's sick or even too soon. :toofunny: Again, it's the Browns for heavens sake. Start Parker and let Moore get some carries as well if need be.

Those same Browns took Cinci into OT last week. You can't underestimate anyone in the NFL.

Sharkissle29
10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
wooo mendy practiced today. this is good news

Nadroj 20
10-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Those same Browns took Cinci into OT last week. You can't underestimate anyone in the NFL.

Actually that was 2 weeks ago and i think that reflects the Bengals being overrated not the Browns being underrated. The Browns are not very good at all.

steeltheone
10-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Actually that was 2 weeks ago and i think that reflects the Bengals being overrated not the Browns being underrated. The Browns are not very good at all.
You hit the nail on the head!

Twizted
10-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Bingo! :applaudit: I was about to reply something to that extent as well.

Nadroj 20
10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Bingo! :applaudit: I was about to reply something to that extent as well.

Lol i got your back or anyone's back that makes sense :tt04:

BlastFurnace
10-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Mendenhall is going to start

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/16/mendenhall-expected-to-start-vs-browns/

Despite being laid low Thursday by "flu-like symptoms" running back Rashard Mendenhall is now expected to start and get the bulk of the carries for the Steelers Sunday against Cleveland.

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mendenhall was back at practice Friday and looked "just as he did in the previous two games against the San Diego Chargers and Detroit Lions when he rushed for 242 yards and averaged 5.5 yards per carry."

Willie Parker, who's missed the last two games with turf toe, has practiced all week. So too has safety Troy Polamalu who's been out the past four games with that MCL injury.

Nadroj 20
10-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Mendenhall is going to start

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/16/mendenhall-expected-to-start-vs-browns/

Despite being laid low Thursday by "flu-like symptoms" running back Rashard Mendenhall is now expected to start and get the bulk of the carries for the Steelers Sunday against Cleveland.

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mendenhall was back at practice Friday and looked "just as he did in the previous two games against the San Diego Chargers and Detroit Lions when he rushed for 242 yards and averaged 5.5 yards per carry."

Willie Parker, who's missed the last two games with turf toe, has practiced all week. So too has safety Troy Polamalu who's been out the past four games with that MCL injury.

Great news :thumbsup: :tt02::tt04::tt::tt02::tt04::tt:

markymarc
10-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Continue to shine Rashard :tt02: Keep running hard and I am very happy he is getting his touches now.

SteelerFanInStl
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Yes two weeks ago but the point is still there. Bengals are overrated? Can't argue with that but they also beat the Steelers and beat the Ravens. You can't take ANY team lightly in the NFL, especially a division rival.