PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: Don't pass judgment on Browns

mesaSteeler
10-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Steelers: Don't pass judgment on Browns
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer, dlolley@observer-reporter.com
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/10-16-Steelers-defending-Browns
This article has been read 168 times.

Much has been made in the last few weeks of the 55 points the Steelers have given up in the fourth quarter of their five games.

For the Cleveland Browns, 55 is also a very significant number. It's the number of points they have scored all season.

Though Cleveland (1-4) has not been shut out, the Browns are treating the end zone like a DMZ. They only make an occasional trip in to make sure things are secure.

Cleveland has scored just four touchdowns and is averaging only 248.4 yards per game.

In last week's 6-3 snoozefest win over Buffalo, Browns quarterback Derek Anderson completed one more pass (2) to his teammates than he did to the Bills.

It was the kind of game that was tough to scout on video for the Steelers as they prepare to host the Browns Sunday at Heinz Field.

"You don't throw it out, you watch it," said Steelers safety Ryan Clark. "You also realize when you watch the tape that there were a lot of drops. It wasn't like he threw 15 bad passes that nobody could catch. They dropped some balls. I expect them to be better.

"You don't pass judgment on Derek Anderson from watching the film of that game."

Anderson was only two-for-17 for 23 yards against Buffalo as the Browns played their first game without wide receiver Braylon Edwards, a former No. 1 pick who was traded to the New York Jets last week.

That left Anderson throwing to a group of receivers that included rookies Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie, and former college quarterback Joshua Cribbs, who had just 14 career receptions heading into this season.

Cleveland's receivers dropped nine passes aaginst the Bills.

"We've got some young guys in there but I'm confident in their abilities to make plays for us," said Anderson.

The Steelers are wary about that happening this week.

"They didn't catch the ball last week, but we know that we're going to get their best shot based on the nature of the rivalry," said Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu, who will return this week after missing the last four games because of a sprained knee.

The Steelers faced a similar situation when they played Chicago in the second week of the season. Bears quarterback Jay Cutler struggled the week before, throwing four interceptions in a loss at Green Bay. Cutler rebounded to throw for 236 yards and two touchdowns against the Steelers in a 17-14 Chicago win.

"Like I said when we played Jay Cutler, everybody was all excited because he had just thrown all of these picks," said Clark. "I said, 'We won't see that guy.' Coaches won't let their guy sink like that. We're going to see screens, we're going to see short passes - just to get him into the flow of the game. Then they'll come out and try to hit us deep and do some other things."

But can the Browns do enough of that to get into the end zone and challenge the Steelers?

"We expect their best shot," said Clark. "It's Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland."

Odds and end zones

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall was ill Thursday and did not practice. ... Linebacker Andre Frazier was limited Thursday by a thigh injury. ... Guard Trai Essex (ankle), linebacker James Farrior (elbow) and defensive end Travis Kirschke (back) all returned Thursday after sitting out Wednesday.

Steelboy84
10-16-2009, 08:44 AM
"We expect their best shot," said Clark. "It's Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland."

And we need to come out with a sense of urgency!!!!!!!!

4xSBChamps
10-16-2009, 08:53 AM
"It's Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland."

..... we need to come out with a sense of urgency!!!!!!!!

"... we need to jump on them...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/ErnieHolmesChuckNollwLombardiTrophy.jpg

... like a herd of tanks!!!"

~ Ernie 'Fats' Holmes, 1976 ~

Steelboy84
10-16-2009, 09:08 AM
"... we need to jump on them...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/ErnieHolmesChuckNollwLombardiTrophy.jpg

... like a herd of tanks!!!"

~ Ernie 'Fats' Holmes, 1976 ~

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :applaudit: :drink: :popcorn:

SteelC7
10-16-2009, 01:39 PM
hahahahaha their best shot is only losing by 3 oints, not 0, but hey this might be another one of those games like detroit that we manage to let get too close, like the bears, bengals, and the chargers and lions

steeltheone
10-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Screw the Browns...They really think they have a shot? Only if we give it to them.

The_WARDen
10-16-2009, 02:18 PM
It's not a judgement. It's a known fact that they suck!

Nadroj 20
10-16-2009, 02:27 PM
:sign03: enough said

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Screw the Browns...They really think they have a shot? Only if we give it to them.

Screw the Steelers...They think we don't have a shot? Only If we don't show up.....again. :chuckle:

Go Browns! :).

Fire Haley
10-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Crush DA into pulp, bring in back-up boy Brady and make him cry.

I can't wait.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Crush DA into pulp, bring in back-up boy Brady and make him cry.

I can't wait.

Let's bring back Slow Willie McGinest and scare Big Ben again. :rofl:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/willie%20mcginest%20roethlisberger/tziller/BigBen-1.jpg

I know, I know. We lost. Just joining in on the fun though.

Fire Haley
10-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Ben better come out and kick ass.

that is all

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-16-2009, 07:40 PM

that is all

He probably will. I think he's John Elway's illegitamate son or something the way he plays against us.

markymarc
10-17-2009, 02:57 PM

that is all

That would definitely help our chances in winning tomorrow :chuckle: