PDA

View Full Version : Brady has been mediocre

Vincent
10-16-2009, 12:15 PM
ESPN is disrespecting brady???!!! Did the Sun go dark too?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/4743/not-so-terrific-so-far-hes-been-common-tom

Not too terrific: So far he's been Common Tom

October 16, 2009 8:57 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

They call him Tom Terrific.

He's playing more like Average Joe.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1014/nfl_g_brady01_200.jpg

A third of the way into the season, as much as it might be :jawdrop: sacrilege :jawdrop: to point it out, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has been mediocre.

Statistically speaking, Brady is below average in many categories that don't depend on sheer volume.

Brady leads the NFL in pass attempts, which obviously increases associated stats. He's tied for second in completions and fourth in yards.

Yet when it comes to averages and percentages, Average Joe is outperforming him.

Despite hopeful expectations and a thrilling performance to beat the Buffalo Bills on opening night, Brady hasn't approached his record-setting 2007 form.

His top targets from that season, Randy Moss and Wes Welker, are back. The Joey Galloway signing has failed, but Brady has an array of other tools at his disposal at tight end and in the backfield.

Compared to the average NFL quarterback, Brady has the same completion percentage, a slightly lower yards-per-attempt average and slightly fewer touchdowns. Brady's yardage gives him a better passer rating.
By the Numbers: Tom Brady vs. Joe Average
Player Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD INT Sack Rating
Tom Brady 127 207 61.4 1,344 6.5 6 2 5 85.9
Brady NFL Rank 2t 1 17 4 22 14t 23 27t 19
Player Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD INT Sack Rating
Average Joe
97 158 61.4 1,039 6.6 6 4 10 83.9

"We've all got to play better," Brady said Wednesday at his weekly news conference. "I think, as a whole, we've done it in spurts at times and at other times we haven't. When you play like that, there’s a reason why you end up at 3-2 at this time, and we’re trying to make these improvements."

In situational data compiled by ESPN's Stats & Information, Brady also is treading water.
Tom Brady: By the Numbers
Situation Rating Rank
Third down 94.7 8th
Fourth quarter 95.8 17th
Red zone 96.2 15th
<10 yards 87.5 17th
11-20 yards 85.9 22nd
20 yards 47.4 28th
Shotgun 94.2 14th
-- Source: ESPN Stats & Information

Based on passer rating, he ranks eighth on third down, 17th in the fourth quarter (even with that dazzling finish against the Bills), 15th in the red zone, 15th out of the shotgun, 17th on passes thrown 10 yards or shorter, 22nd on passes thrown between 11 and 20 yards and 28th on passes thrown beyond 21 yards or deeper.

The Patriots' longest pass play has been 36 yards. Brady is tied with Jason Campbell for 21st in the NFL with 11 pass plays of 20 yards or longer.

In the second half of New England's two losses, Brady has completed 38.2 percent of his passes for an average of 64.5 yards, which comes to 3.8 yards per attempt. He's thrown zero touchdowns or interceptions.

Brady still seems to be coping with the aftereffects of knee surgery, and his production has suffered. He has wasted numerous big-play opportunities. He's misfiring downfield with Moss and perhaps relies on Welker too much.

"He doesn't move his feet, set, re-plant and throw nearly as well or as comfortably as he did pre-injury," Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson said. "He seems to be seeing the rush rather than feeling it. I also get the feeling that Brady isn't real comfortable with huge men falling all around his lower body in the pocket.

"He reminds me of Peyton Manning a year ago, and he went on to win the league MVP."

For now, Brady is on pace to throw 19.2 touchdown passes, his fewest since 2001, when he started 14 games after taking over for Drew Bledsoe.

"In some ways we've done some very positive things over the five weeks," Brady said. "In a lot of ways, it's been inconsistent, which reflects in the amount of points that we're scoring.

"If we could be more consistent, we'd be scoring more points. We'd be winning more games, and everyone would be feeling a lot better around here. But because that hasn't happened, we're still searching."

The_WARDen
10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I know, he's hurting my one FF team!

steelreserve
10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
No cheating ... no playoffs.

revefsreleets
10-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Hmmmm....looks like I scooped ESPN by about a week.

I DO think his injury is effecting him a little...but the fact is, his career averages are probably going to be a lot less stellar than people think, because he benefited from just a couple really solid years. The facts are, he's a little better than average overall, and his numbers are down because he's a little tentative getting back into rhythm...he plays in a QB-friendly system, and just about any QB at this level would excel in it.

Nadroj 20
10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Yea i agree Brady is not playing as well as he could be.

When everyone thinks about the best QB's in the NFL its the same 1 and 2 Peyton and Brady....but i think this has changed due to the full season Brady missed last season and his average at best season so far this year.

revefsreleets
10-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Brady is probably only REALLY a top 10-15 QB...

steelreserve
10-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I think a good experiment would be to put Brady on the Raiders or the Rams and then watch him go all Matt Cassel on your ass...

revefsreleets
10-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I think a good experiment would be to put Brady on the Raiders or the Rams and then watch him go all Matt Cassel on your ass...

Cassel already plays for one of the worst teams in the NFL...many of his stats are BETTER than Brady's in spite of that fact.

AllD
10-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Brady is going to turn into a media punching bag going from "What's Hot" to "What's Not". He doesn't have much of a team around him anymore, just a shell. Ever since they lost Vinateri they haven't gone deep. The downhill slide is always more painful than the brutal climb up.

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Ok, so now the "best QB right now" argument, if it doesn't include Brady...does it still List Ben out of the top 3?

Lets see...Manning of coarse...and now I'm hearing Breese is the man...and then there is love for Eli, oh and Palmer...and is Rivers still better than Ben? Oh and lets not forget Favre and the love fest he'll get if they beat the Ravens this weekend.

Well at least Ben is one of the top 10 QBs in the league right now...isn't he? or am I just being a rabid homer?

I mean
Manning
Breese
Manning
Rivers
Palmer
Favre
McNabb (right cause he's awesome in big games)
Romo (or has he finally been called out as the Choker and Fraud we all know he really is?)
Hasselbeck (right cause he's healthy now!)
Brady (cause you know he's still better than Ben right? I mean...come on right!)
Flacco
Ryan
Warner (although he sucks in Odd Number years)
Cassell (sure he has a losing record but he's on the Chiefs, who would't lose there right?)

Yep...Ben just isn't better than Any of those guys at all...in fact...we should trade him now. Maybe we can get Russell or Campbell for him and a draft pick!

Sarcasm Off

Hammer Of The GODS
10-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Don't worry. Good deal will pull somethin out of his ass to keep the pats in the playoff hunt.

steelreserve
10-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Brady is going to turn into a media punching bag going from "What's Hot" to "What's Not". He doesn't have much of a team around him anymore, just a shell. Ever since they lost Vinateri they haven't gone deep. The downhill slide is always more painful than the brutal climb up.

All I can hope for is that Brady sticks around too long with obviously diminished skills and it gets to the point where he's actually preventing the team from winning anything.

And then right after he retires, he admits that he really WAS gay the whole time, and I happen to be in the room at the time so I can say "HA! I knew it!"

Soon afterward, he gets a big check from Matt Cassel for unpaid child support.

Godfather
10-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Brady has always been overrated. I think there's a bit of social concern going on here. The liberal media wants a gay quarterback to do well.

The Patriot
10-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Should have gone with Bledsoe.

revefsreleets
10-18-2009, 08:30 AM
I actually have it:

Brees
Manning
Ben
Rivers
Palmer

The Patriot
10-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Brady: Don't mind me. I just threw 24/28 for 345 yards and 5 Tds in the first half.

http://brightstarlights.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/tom-brady-2.jpg

sharkweek
10-18-2009, 05:01 PM
at home against a Titans team that has completely checked out for the season

as impressive as that offense has been in this game, I'm even more amazed at how bad the Titans have become

naturally the press will focus on it being entirely Brady's doing and nothing about the Titans being utterly dreadful

Edman
10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Let's see Tom Gaydy do it against a team that obviously hasn't given up on the season and sucks.

Gaist
10-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I think the person who started this thread should be ashamed of themselves. How dare you question him.

stlrtruck
10-19-2009, 08:27 AM
I think the person who started this thread should be ashamed of themselves. How dare you question him.

And patriots* should be ashamed of a QB who is afraid to play the game the way it was meant to be played - like a man!

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Brady: Don't mind me. I just threw 24/28 for 345 yards and 5 Tds in the first half.

Amazing how everybody and their brother has been poo pooing our win over the Browns yet the Pats* beating the clueless Titans is the game of the week. :doh:

Let's see them do that to a real team before we talk about miraculous comebacks.

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 09:17 AM
I saw nothing today to suggest that he is any better or worse than just above average. Derek Anderson would have equaled his success today if he was under center for the Pats....plus there really aren't any other NFL teams that would have even left their QB in after they were up by 25+ points.

The Titans are just a putrid excuse for a football team now...

The_WARDen
10-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow! I think Marsha is overrated an everything but some of the comments on here are just stupid.

Saying that Derek Anderson would have put up those numbers as well? Come on!

Marsha may not be elite but he is still a good QB.

:doh:

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Wow! I think Marsha is overrated an everything but some of the comments on here are just stupid.

Saying that Derek Anderson would have put up those numbers as well? Come on!

Marsha may not be elite but he is still a good QB.

:doh:

A) It is an extremely efficient QB system
B) The Titans gave up
C) Most teams would have settled in and just run the ball
D) Up until yesterday, Cassel had the better numbers in several categories playing for one of the worst teams in the NFL

I didn't say Brady was awful... I said he was "above average", and that's what he is. Above average, but not elite...okay, DA comparisons may be a bit of a stretch, but IN THAT SYSTEM there are 20 other QB's who could have done what he did yesterday...

BlastFurnace
10-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Guys....give credit where credit is due. Brady is a great QB and has been one for quite some time. He's already a HOF'r.

He looked great yesterday.

NJarhead
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm just so thankful that he didn't get hurt. This whole foosball thing must be excrutating to his mother and imagine the horror poor coach Belichick has to endure week in and week out. Such a dangerous sport. *wipes sweat off brow* Well, one more week in the books. I'll start praying for Tom's health in next weeks game.

:coffee:

steelreserve
10-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Guys....give credit where credit is due. Brady is a great QB and has been one for quite some time. He's already a HOF'r.

Yeah ... for the Gay Hall of Fame.

No, seriously. They actually have one. I wonder how you nominate people for it.

http://www.glhalloffame.org/

sharkweek
10-19-2009, 12:48 PM
And patriots* should be ashamed of a QB who is afraid to play the game the way it was meant to be played - like a man!

but women and men seeking to become women deserve equal rights! :hug:

Ishkabibble
10-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Joe Montana had a system; called the West Coast Offense, from what I understand. Over the years, Marino has talked at length about the "system" they ran down in Miami. Who could possibly look at the Colts and not think they run a system? Sorgi or whoever just wouldn't execute it as well, that's for certain. QB's don't draw up plays in the dirt. By definition, every QB to ever play in the NFL...good or bad...has been part of a system.

System QB is an oxymoron; emphasis on moron.

Gay Hall of Fame? Mind-numbing. Seriously reserve, are you 5 years old?

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Joe Montana had a system; called the West Coast Offense, from what I understand. Over the years, Marino has talked at length about the "system" they ran down in Miami. Who could possibly look at the Colts and not think they run a system? Sorgi or whoever just wouldn't execute it as well, that's for certain. QB's don't draw up plays in the dirt. By definition, every QB to ever play in the NFL...good or bad...has been part of a system.

System QB is an oxymoron; emphasis on moron.

Thank you for calling me a moron...you may want to re-read what I read, though, since I was basically saying Brady is fine as long as he has receivers 5-7 yards downfield and he's inside a pocket that he can't be touched in...ANY QB would excel in those ideal, bubble-like conditions.

Two words:
Matt
Casell

By the way, care to defend the display of classless running up the score in Foxboro, apologist? I'm dying to hear your psuedo-intellectual nonsense added into the cesspool of idiocy puking out the keyboards of massholes everywhere....

fansince'76
10-19-2009, 02:01 PM
By the way, care to defend the display of classless running up the score in Foxboro, apologist? I'm dying to hear your psuedo-intellectual nonsense added into the cesspool of idiocy puking out the keyboards of massholes everywhere....

Might have to wait a while - he probably has to go visit the other 30-40 team boards he feels the need to frequent to stick up for the bestest, most wonderfulest team ever on. :jerkit: :coffee:

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 02:24 PM
These guys really bother me...everything wrong with sports nowadays...

Gaist
10-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Good post, Ishkabibble. Mind-numbing indeed.

If it's so easy, then why doesn't everyone run the Patriots offense? They aren't the only team with good receievers.

Brady sure dink and dunked his way on those bombs to Moss and Welker.

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 02:56 PM
He averaged 13 yards a completion.

Ben averaged 18...

LOL at "Why doesn't everyone?"

1) You need the commish to be form your organization
2) Cheat
3) Get caught but really suffer almost nothing for it
4) Have a QB that isn't allowed to be touched
5) Have an offensive line that will hold with impunity to protect the QB (who can't be touched...see #4)
6) Be the (conveniently...again, see above) least penalized team in the NFL (57 last year...next closest was 71)
7) Pad stats whenever possible

Gaist
10-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Steelers fans have a slighty inaccurate assessment of what is a hold. According to them, James Harrison gets held on every play (even when he's on the sideline, incredibly enough). You do realize that you can put your hands on a defender to block them, right?

Now, I'd like to see examples of where the Patriots line "holds with impunity". I doubt you've even watched enough games to know what their names are.

Preacher
10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Steelers fans have a slighty inaccurate assessment of what is a hold. According to them, James Harrison gets held on every play (even when he's on the sideline, incredibly enough). You do realize that you can put your hands on a defender to block them, right?

Now, I'd like to see examples of where the Patriots line "holds with impunity". I doubt you've even watched enough games to know what their names are.

You do realize that choke-holds around the neck when the feet are past the defender is a hold right?

Guess not.

Being a Pats* fan, you probably think a foul is whenever Brady whines for one.

revefsreleets
10-19-2009, 03:08 PM

I'm done with you for now...enjoy your "win".

Bottom line remains the same: Big blowouts by classlessly running up the score against bad teams in October mean nothing....and you guys aren't going anywhere in the playoffs this year. Bank it.

Gaist
10-19-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm done with you for now...enjoy your "win".

No examples then? I figured you wouldn't even be able to name the linemen without looking it up.

Bottom line remains the same: Big blowouts by classlessly running up the score against bad teams in October mean nothing....and you guys aren't going anywhere in the playoffs this year. Bank it.

Again, they could have broken the NFL record for points in a game if they wanted.

fansince'76
10-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Again, they could have broken the NFL record for points in a game if they wanted.

This is you, isn't it?

http://www.statshockey.net/sstore/Tom_Brady_Fathead.jpg

steelreserve
10-19-2009, 04:09 PM

No, but I'm spiteful to about the same degree that Brady is gay. That makes me pretty damn spiteful.

Preacher
10-19-2009, 04:12 PM

Oh I see, since he didn't go for EVERY record, he is classy? Hilarious.

No, he went for it on fourth down. He kept trying to put the ball in the endzone. He kept the ball going through the air, and he kept "My career is built on learning by video" Brady in to run up the score.

Compare that the Steelers who, when playing you all, actually took a knee before the game was over and gave the ball back to the Patriots . . . and that score was MUCH closer.

The Patriot
10-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh I see, since he didn't go for EVERY record, he is classy? Hilarious.

No, he went for it on fourth down. He kept trying to put the ball in the endzone. He kept the ball going through the air, and he kept "My career is built on learning by video" Brady in to run up the score.

Compare that the Steelers who, when playing you all, actually took a knee before the game was over and gave the ball back to the Patriots . . . and that score was MUCH closer.

We scored more points in the 2nd quarter than any other team in football scored in their entire game (except the Saints).

Professional football doesn't hold your hand if you are bad. Feeling too entitled to play a full 60 minutes? Fine, we got about a 100 guys behind you who would love to play their hearts out in a real NFL game.

JHSilverback
10-19-2009, 10:29 PM
anybody else read the pre-game injury report?...looks like the titans had both starting corners out along with the starting nickel corner....I mean anyone could of tore that secondary up with half of the starters missing and the mental state the of titans right now...so give me a break about how Brady is back....if hes back where were the record shaking stats the last 5 games?...thats what I thought

The_WARDen
10-20-2009, 07:29 AM
No examples then? I figured you wouldn't even be able to name the linemen without looking it up.

I couldn't name the Pats's linemen cause I could give 2 :poop: about the Cheatriots. Really, who effin cares?

Although, since you are here to annoy us...methinks you have some closet love for the Steelers. Come on, admit it.
:coffee:

stlrtruck
10-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Professional football doesn't hold your hand if you are bad. Feeling too entitled to play a full 60 minutes? Fine, we got about a 100 guys behind you who would love to play their hearts out in a real NFL game.

You're right, they don't hold your hand but there is something called Sportsmanship, and Integrity, and Having Class. Of course these are things I wouldn't expect a patriots* fan to know or comprehend, especially since the team's owner, coach, and most players don't!

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 08:33 AM

Is that Gazelle's pubic hair glued to his head?

revefsreleets
10-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Pretty much all that game did was pad a bunch of stats for Brady and the Pats*...and build up even more bad karma for the franchise.

It'll come back around and bite them on the ass again soon...

The Patriot
10-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Is that Gazelle's pubic hair glued to his head?

Brady's hair cannot be tamed.

X-Terminator
10-20-2009, 09:55 AM
And you guys are still arguing with the Pats* apologists because...?

revefsreleets
10-20-2009, 10:01 AM

......it's fun to measure the depth and breadth of their collective delusion...

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Brady's hair cannot be tamed.

Obviously neither can his schlong.

tony hipchest
10-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Brady's hair cannot be tamed.this is true. in sb 42 his wild yet amazing mane choked him.

and in his next game, his lovely lady locks tripped him up and shredded his knee.

word is he is training with fabio this year so all is well. :thumbsup:

The_WARDen
10-21-2009, 07:47 AM

It's like watching a merry-go-round go around and around and around...

The Patriot
10-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Hey, you guys are the ones with freakin jungle boy. I see birds fly in and out of that thing. How many combs do you think he has lost in there? :chuckle:

http://comethatmidnight.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/troypolamalu_wideweb__470x3130.jpg

Indo
10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey, you guys are the ones with freakin jungle boy. I see birds fly in and out of that thing. How many combs do you think he has lost in there? :chuckle:

http://comethatmidnight.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/troypolamalu_wideweb__470x3130.jpg

Do you know the story of Sampson?
His Power was in his Hair

SteelCityMom
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Lol...difference here though is, Troy doesn't need to use a ton of product in his hair (like a certain metrosexual does) to have the appearance of untamed hair. :flap:

Here's Tom in his pre-product days...

http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/tombrady.jpg

BehindSteelCurtain
10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Am I a traitor to Steeler Nation for trading for Brady in my fantasy league?

NJarhead
10-21-2009, 09:50 PM

Yes. ...and I fart in your general direction.

:chuckle:

steelreserve
10-22-2009, 02:23 AM

Only if you actually root for him to do well. In which case you should hang out here.

http://www.studsf.com/

revefsreleets
10-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Get while the gettin' is good. NE plays two winless teams in a row so Belichick needs as many stats padded as possible before they start playing teams they can't beat again.

After TB, they have a bye, then:
Miami
Indy
Jets
NO
Miami
Carolina
Buffalo
Jax
Houston

They'll be 5-2 going into the bye, lose to Indy, NO and Miami once (6-6), then win all of their last 4 puff games to end up 10-6 and sneak into the playoffs where they'll most likely lose the first game they play away from home...just as I predicted...

Shea
10-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Obviously neither can his schlong.

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Isn't it gross? I just don't see why so many women find him attractive. Something about him just makes my skin crawl.