PDA

View Full Version : A letter to the Cleveland Browns

Ohio Steeler
10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Dear Cleveland Browns,

We are writing to you to express our concerns and frustration.

There was a time when Steelers-Browns week was circled on everyoneís calendar. Beating the Browns meant more than any other victory (except the Super Bowl, of course). It was kind of like Michigan beating Ohio State, or USC beating UCLA. There were bragging rights involved.

But now, that is no longer the case. The Steelers have beaten the Browns so many consecutive times that everyone here in Pittsburgh has lost count. How many times has it been? 11? 15? 30? 50? I canít even remember how many times weíve beaten you, but I know it is too many.

Once upon a time, Steelers versus Browns was an epic battle on the scale of the Sharks versus the Jets. Nowadays, it is more analogous to sharks versus seals. And the Browns are the seals. They are little more than snacks for the hungry Steelers.

Iím going to let you in on a little secret. We really WANT you to beat us. No, Iím not joking. Itís true.

In the overall history of the series between the Steelers and the Browns, the Steelers lead 59-55. Thatís pretty close. You have beaten us almost as many times as we have beaten you. That is what made the series great. Each time we played, the game was important. We knew that any time we stepped onto the field with the Browns, we could leave the game with a loss.

Even in the 70ís when we were the most dominant team of the decade, the Browns were an opponent that we could never take lightly. Fans in Pittsburgh may have hated the Browns, but we always had to respect them.

That is why we are concerned about the current state of the Browns. You are not upholding your end of the deal. We want you to be better. We really do.

Sure, it was fun beating you the first 5 times in a row. But after 11 straight wins, itís getting rather monotonous.

We want you to beat us. And while youíre at it, beat the Ravens and the Bengals a few times. You see, if you were able to do that, it would be good for everyone.

The Cincinnati Bengals seem to have shed their losing ways, and currently sit atop the AFC North. The Steelers and Ravens are always competitive. It is only the Browns that are holding the AFC North back. If the Browns were better, the AFC North would undoubtedly be the most competitive division in the NFL. Iím sick of hearing NFL analysts brag about how tough the NFC East is. I want the AFC North to be king. And you are preventing that from happening.

The sad part is that you have the best fans in the NFL outside of Western Pennsylvania. You have no idea how much I hate verbalizing that, but itís true. The fans in Cleveland are tremendous. They deserve better than what you are giving them.

That is why we make this collective plea. Please beat us. We want you to beat us. No, we NEED you to beat us. Just donít do it this week. We still have ground that we need to make up on the Cincinnati Bengals.

Sincerely,
Pittsburgh

Link (http://networkedblogs.com/p14761364)to story

warddj86
10-16-2009, 03:21 PM
It used to be the greatest sports rivalry, it's quite a shame, Clevelanders have given up on the possibility of a succsessful Browns season, while the Steelers expect greatness annually.

8-8= awful season for PIT
8-8= great season for CLE

Jmat
10-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I spend a lot of time up at Pymatuning Lake in Andover Ohio. I just came down to Pittsburgh today.
Up at Pymatuning you used to see a good mix of both Steelers and Browns fans. The last two seasons there are way fewer Browns fans or at least people that will admit to being Browns fans and showing it.

The Steelers Nation has taken over up at Pymatuning. You see plenty of people wearing their Steeler shirts and hats and Steeler signs and flags on their homes.

The Browns have ruined their fan base.

stb_steeler
10-16-2009, 04:45 PM
If the Browns were to beat us this week (by luck).....Everyone on here would be screaming, whats wrong with the Steelers. Cant even beat the clowns. I cant see all the threads posted now!. I for one aint settling for a loss to anyone!!!!!
:tt02:

steelersfanman92
10-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah I really don't want the Browns to win regardless if it would make it a better rivalry

Ohio Steeler
10-16-2009, 05:28 PM
this letter is in a way very true, the old days this game was it, however since the old browns team went to bmore there has been no rival between us and them. I do look forward to the days when this game does mean something again myself. Living in Ohio it really is no fun because all browns fans are well hiding. I like the old days the days when this game was well a game and not just another sunday.

rich4eagle
10-16-2009, 05:37 PM
This kind of thread breeds ..................a note on the wall...........

and an upset in the making

never punch a sleeping dog in the face

Vincent
10-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Why would anyone write something so stupid?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-16-2009, 07:09 PM
It really should be Browns V. Steelers every year for the AFC North title, with an occasional upset or two by the Cincy Bengals to make things interesting.

You have to admit that this rivalry has produced some classic moments, from Turkey Joe Jones and Jack Lambert slamming QB's into the turf in '76 to the '93 Eric Metcalf game to the Josh Cribbs 100 yard return game in 2007.

One day it'll be back. Probably not this year, but maybe soon. The NFL needs this.

LVSteelersfan
10-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Screw the Clowns. I don't care if they ever win again. Why would anyone write this kind of drivel? With the current ownership they have become an embarrasment. They never should have gotten an expansion team to begin with. And yes, they are an expansion team whether Cleveland fans admit it or not. They say there are 5 or 6 teams in the running to move to LA. I am assuming they are one of them.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Screw the Clowns. I don't care if they ever win again. Why would anyone write this kind of drivel? With the current ownership they have become an embarrasment. They never should have gotten an expansion team to begin with. And yes, they are an expansion team whether Cleveland fans admit it or not. They say there are 5 or 6 teams in the running to move to LA. I am assuming they are one of them.

You're pretty clueless aren't you.

Cleveland has a great history with Football and our stadium still sells out regardless of how bad the team is.

People here are Diehards.

Take a look at me, I still buy Browns stuff and happily will go to a game no matter how terrible the team is.

And yes, they are an expansion team, but it's not our fault. Modell was a moron at finances, the old lady on the lake was constantly filled to capacity even during the worst of years, yet Modell still lost money because he's a moron.

Also, you're thinking of "Jacksonville" as a team that should have probably never gotten a team, they can't sell out even when the team is half-way decent.

Moving the team to LA would be one of the stupidest mistakes the NFL could make. LA would never support as team as bad as the Browns, Cleveland on the other hand will go to those game rain or shine.

Also, if the NFL were to EVER pull off that stunt, they can kiss my money good bye. I will refuse to ever watch another game again, spend money on merchandise or do any of the sort. I will stickl to watching my Buckeyes and Boilermakers, and support the Cavs and Tribe.

SteelC7
10-16-2009, 07:57 PM
screw that, dont want them ever beating us, but it doesnt matter what i say, they cant beat us, its literally impossible

LVSteelersfan
10-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Glad you have stuck with your team. I have been a diehard Steelers fan through thick and thin even in the Stoudt, Malone, Kordell years. I am glad you can root for the Buckeyes, Boilermakers, Cavs and Tribe. It really sucks when your favorite team sucks and have no hope of winning anything. I quit watching baseball completely because the Pirates suck so much.

Fire Haley
10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd be willing to offer some helpful advice - we'll trade you straight up, Spaeth for Cribbs.

Take it while it's hot.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Glad you have stuck with your team. I have been a diehard Steelers fan through thick and thin even in the Stoudt, Malone, Kordell years. I am glad you can root for the Buckeyes, Boilermakers, Cavs and Tribe. It really sucks when your favorite team sucks and have no hope of winning anything. I quit watching baseball completely because the Pirates suck so much.

Good to hear.

The Diehard fans are what make this rivalry be around as long it has. :drink:

Believe me, I think that my Tribe and the Pirates would be so much better off of if there was a revenue sharing and a salary cap, as without those we've become the Yankees/Red Sox minor league teams.

HometownGal
10-16-2009, 09:32 PM
The fans in Cleveland are tremendous. They deserve better than what you are giving them.

Hmmmm. Are ya sure the Browns don't masquerade as the Pirates come April? :chuckle:

I miss the Steelers/Browns rivalry. Those sure were the days.

Ohio Steeler
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Hmmmm. Are ya sure the Browns don't masquerade as the Pirates come April? :chuckle:

that they where :tt02:

Jmat
10-17-2009, 09:54 AM

Indeed they were.