PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins fan here. Can anyone tell me about Mike Mularkey?

Jamester23
01-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Hey guys! I'm a big Dolphins fan (On Sunday though I'll be a Steelers fan). My team is looking at hiring Mularkey as an Offensive Coordinator. Can you guys tell me about him? Would love all the info you can give me!

Go Steelers! Beat the Broncs!

Suitanim
01-21-2006, 09:01 AM
This is what I remember most about Mularkey. We had a 1st and goal, and somehow ended up at like the 1 with a 3rd and goal, and, instead of trying a PA pass, or running the Bus up the middle, we tried a double reverse and lost like 15 yards.

Too gimmicky.

Prosdo
01-21-2006, 09:05 AM
I agree Suit. He likes to go flashy instead of smart sometimes.

Chronicgaming
01-21-2006, 09:29 AM
All that I can remember about Mularkey was that he loved to call a horrid shotgun draw play on third and long. It never worked (well, it might have a couple times), and that left me questioning his style. He did lead the team to top 5 rankings in 2001 & 2002 on offense, so that might be good news for a team looking to hire him as coordinator.

Jamester23
01-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys. Besides those flashy plays. Was he good? Did you like him? Would you have considered your "O" Balanced?

Jamester23
01-21-2006, 10:09 AM
The Phins look like they might bring in TO. Does Mularkey pass a lot? Run a lot? Both?

With our RB's, we'll look forward to playing you guys in the playoffs next year.

Sharkissle29
01-21-2006, 12:18 PM
well for the steelers...its a mix, doesnt matter who ur offensive coordinator is, we run and pass. therefor i couldnt really tell you what he really "likes" to do, bc steeler football made him balance the play calling if you get what im saying...

DIESELMAN
01-21-2006, 12:27 PM
hes iffy.....he developed an offensive scheme around K.Stewart and he did good for a year or two....he can be too predictable in his play calling...he makes some bonehead play calls........bottom line I threw a party when he left the Steelers!!..:helmet:

Steelersfan
01-21-2006, 12:32 PM
So did I Diesalman. He was way too predictable. Wasn't his last year with us the year Cowher decided to open up with Maddox and we went 6-10 and missed the playoffs?

BlackNGold203
01-21-2006, 12:36 PM
I believe he was the coordinator in 2001 when we lost to NE...seemed like NE knew every play we were gonna run...he's creative for sure...but that didnt help him in Buffalo

Chronicgaming
01-21-2006, 12:43 PM
I believe he was the coordinator in 2001 when we lost to NE...seemed like NE knew every play we were gonna run...he's creative for sure...but that didnt help him in Buffalo

Yep, he was named offensive coordinator in 2001 after being the tight end coach for the Steelers. Before that, he was the tight end coach for the Steelers since 1996 (he had NFL experience playing TE before a career ending knee injury in 1991).

DIESELMAN
01-21-2006, 12:48 PM
So did I Diesalman. He was way too predictable. Wasn't his last year with us the year Cowher decided to open up with Maddox and we went 6-10 and missed the playoffs?

Yup.....and we finished damn near last in the league with our bread and butter the running game.......:helmet:

SteelersNation7
01-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Average at best and that's being,probably nice.

Mr. Clean
01-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Pittsburgh's offensive problems in 2003 were in large part due to the injury-wracked offensive line. Mularkey fell in love with the passing game with Maddox at QB and his play calls in the Jets game in the snow were beyond belief.

In 2001 and 2002, Mularkey did a good job. Pittsburgh won 13 games with Korkie at QB. Belicik figured them out. Korkie couldn't play QB against a zone.

Mularkey could be a very good OC for the ?Fins if he goes with their strengths. Buffalo blew chunks because Tom Donahoe was doing the drafting and Buffalo's offensive line stinks.