PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1977 playoff

3 to be 4
01-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Who out there remembers the 1977 Steelers at Broncos playoff game. Didnt Mean Joe Greene karate chop somebody in the stomach? :sofunny:
And how about some details on the other matchups. 1984. I know Mark Malone and Louis Lipps were the stars. 1989? Merrill Hoge and Bubby Brister? WAsnt that a real close game?

3 to be 4
01-21-2006, 10:28 AM
oh, i forgot one. didnt they kick the crap out of Denver at Three Rivers in 1978?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2006, 10:30 AM
I remember before the start of the 89 season I think it was, the talk of town was how bubby came into camp the first day and wrote on the chalk board, Playoffs !! , and damned if we didnt get there to only fall short of the SB by THIS much.

3 to be 4
01-21-2006, 10:33 AM
that was GREAT, last hurrah coaching job by Chuck Noll.

DIESELMAN
01-21-2006, 02:11 PM
oh, i forgot one. didnt they kick the crap out of Denver at Three Rivers in 1978?

it was like 33-10 then they dropped the oilers and beat the cowgirls for ring#3 :helmet:

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Who out there remembers the 1977 Steelers at Broncos playoff game. Didnt Mean Joe Greene karate chop somebody in the stomach? :sofunny:
And how about some details on the other matchups. 1984. I know Mark Malone and Louis Lipps were the stars. 1989? Merrill Hoge and Bubby Brister? WAsnt that a real close game?

Greene was tired of getting held so, after "warning" the guard to stop, Mean Joe flattened Denver guard Paul Howard by punching him in the stomach. Game was played on Christmas Eve. I do not recall if the refs saw it, but Greene stayed in the game.

Steelers came back several times to tie the game (last tie at 21) but Denver then pulled away to win 34-21. At the time I thought that was going to be the end of the run for the Steelers of the 1970s before they came back and re-invented themselves as a deep passing team to win two more Super Bowls.

tony hipchest
01-21-2006, 03:04 PM
i remember 89 best. merril hoge had a career day going over 100 yds and bubby brister killed a drive in the endzone late in the game. sealed a victory for the broncos. that was in the old mile-high and the noise definitely caused the fumble. 12th man won that one for them.

Ambridge
01-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Greene was tired of getting held so, after "warning" the guard to stop, Mean Joe flattened Denver guard Paul Howard by punching him in the stomach. Game was played on Christmas Eve. I do not recall if the refs saw it, but Greene stayed in the game.

I was thirteen years old and I vividly remember that particular game because I got a case of the stomach flu on the morning of Christmas Eve and I was sick as a dog while trying to watch the game.

drewcary
01-21-2006, 04:06 PM
"They wern't calling it, and i told him to stop' was Joe's justification.

Mr. Clean
01-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I remember the 34-21 game, too. It was tied, 21-21, in the fourth quarter. Terry threw two picks to Tom Jackson in the fourth quarter, and Denver won going away.

In the final regular season game of 1978, the Steelers took a 21-0 lead in Denver and Noll sat the starters. Denver went for it on fourth and goal from inside the one on the game's final play, trailing 21-17. Lonnie Perrin was stopped in his tracks.

Pittsburgh then skunked Craig Morton and the Broncos, 33-10.

The 24-17 win in Denver in 1984 was sweet, indeed. Mike Merriweather was all over John Elway the entire game.

Pittsburgh led for most of that playoff game in 1989. Elway, as he did so often, brought the Broncos back in the end.

Suitanim
01-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Wasn't that '77 team really beset by injuries?

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Wasn't that '77 team really beset by injuries?

More beset by dissension than injuries - Lambert & Blount both held out in preseason (back in the day when there was nowhere else to go) and Ernie Holmes came back after being acquitted for possession of cocaine fat & out of shape (he was cut after that year).
I do recall J.T. Thomas was diagnosed after the season with some sort of blood disorder, which resulted in a drop off in his play and prompted the Steelers to draft Ron Johnson to play CB for the last 2 Super Bowl teams.

Steelers were lucky to make the playoffs that year - they were blown out at Baltimore & Denver in the regular season, lost at Cincy the next to last week of the regular season, and were going to miss the playoffs if Houston had not beaten Cincy the next week in the last game of the regular season.

Normally, a team's run would have ended at that point, as the defense was starting to slip -however, the rule changes in 1978 that loosened pass defense came in at the same time Swann, Stallworth & Bradshaw were at their peak, leading to 2 more Super Bowls.

Stlrs4Life
01-21-2006, 10:28 PM

Yes we did, I was at that game on the Broncos side, about 11 rows back. The Old Orange Crush days. We won 33-10. Also beat them in Denver that year also, the last game of the season, 21-17.

3 to be 4
01-21-2006, 10:43 PM
during the 1977 regular season didnt the Steelers beat Dallas at Three Rivers? Back in those days whenever i wasnt rooting for the Patriots I was rooting AGAINST Dallas. I HATED Dallas and I loved the Steelers for being the one team that wasnt intimidated by all that America's Team crap.

Stlrs4Life
01-22-2006, 09:48 AM
during the 1977 regular season didnt the Steelers beat Dallas at Three Rivers? Back in those days whenever i wasnt rooting for the Patriots I was rooting AGAINST Dallas. I HATED Dallas and I loved the Steelers for being the one team that wasnt intimidated by all that America's Team crap.

Yes we did, 28-13. Right before Thanksgiving.