PDA

View Full Version : Tight End & 2 OT's visit Steelers this week

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_313055.html

The Steelers will continue playing the role of free-agent host this week, anticipating visits today from New York Giants tight end Marcellus Rivers and New England Patriots offensive tackle Adrian Klemm, and a scheduled visit on Tuesday from Detroit Lions offensive tackle Stockar McDougle.

McDougle is the big fish of the three, figuratively and literally.

McDougle, 6-6 and 335 pounds, is a former first-round pick out of Oklahoma in 2000 (20th overall). He started all 16 games in 2004 and in 2003 at right tackle for the Lions. The Steelers have penciled in 2004 No. 3 pick Max Starks at right tackle now that former starter Oliver Ross has signed as a free agent with Arizona.

McDougle was part of a Lions offensive line that led the league in sacks allowed with 11 in 2003, nine better than the franchise record of 20 set in 2002, a figure that also led the NFL.

He started at right tackle in the second game of the 2002 season and held the job until a toe injury forced him to miss the season's final three games.

McDougle has started 53 of 61 career games.

Klemm is a 6-3, 312-pound former second-round pick out of Hawaii in 2000 (46th overall). He has three Super Bowl rings to show for his service with the Patriots but has never appeared in a playoff game over his injury-plagued career. Klemm has appeared in 26 games overall with 10 starts.

He's started at guard and tackle but has ended up on the injured reserve list three times, including 2004, when he played in the Pats' first two games then missed the rest of the season with a leg injury.

Rivers, 6-4, 250, is a backup who joined the Giants as a rookie free agent out of Oklahoma State in 2001.

He appeared in 16 games in 2004, catching five passes for 36 yards and one touchdown. He has 27 career receptions for 227 yards and four scores.

Rivers set a Giants record with 25 special teams tackles (22 solo) in 2002

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Looks like we are well on our way to addressing that much needed depth we've talked about here on SF. And it would also appear that atleast for now, they aren't totally sold on kranchik as the 2nd TE. so we'll see.

ironcitychef
03-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Would be interesting if that Detroit connection of Colbert's lands us McDougle. I would love that line depth we're getting.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2005, 01:48 PM
That colbert/lions thing has been an issue every offseason, I think kevin has matt millens number on speed dial to check out the stock of FA's .

BB2W
03-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Getting the Tackle Mcdougle would be interesting. I am sure he could compete with Starks.......Being a 1st round draft pick and having 3 more years experience. I would much rather go via-free agency than draft for depth at Tackle.

It does not mention Ty Law? I read an article from Beaver County Times that said he would meet w/Steelers again today. We are definatly interested in Law (pending results from foot injury) and he will play for a contender cheap. He would love to switch to B&G be an impact player and get us over the hump.........Plus its his hometown.

HinesWard4Life8682
03-14-2005, 04:11 PM
yeah... i watch all of mcdougles games with lions. All you see is watch kevin jones run it to his side.... he's a monster.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2005, 04:54 PM
that'll also motivate Starks to elevate his game if he wants to crack the starting lineup this year. Competition breeds excellence so its a win win for us either way.

clevestinks
03-14-2005, 07:29 PM
I really like Starks I think he`ll be alright. but whatever it takes to improve is fine with me

BB2W
03-15-2005, 12:18 AM
McDougle, unlike the other players, stayed overnight and will return to the Steelers' UPMC facility in the morning. They began negotiations with his agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

"There's a huge interest on our behalf," Rosenhaus said. "We're going to do our very best to hopefully make him a Steeler. We'll see what happens."

McDougle, 28, started at right tackle the past two seasons after injuries marred his first two seasons in the league. The Lions drafted him in the first round in 2000 from Oklahoma. McDougle, who will compete with Starks at tackle, began his NFL career as a guard. The Steelers are looking for depth at guard and tackle.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 01:08 AM
Well, if that happens, it could be as big as when we picked up Gandy in FA from the Rams that year. He served us well during his contract stint w/ us.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Klemm said he has an appreciation for what the Steelers are all about because his father, Leo, was born in Squirrel Hill and raised in Homewood, and because his grandparents live in Squirrel Hill.

"I followed the Steelers pretty much all my life," he said.

Klemm has followed the current collection of Steelers well enough to understand that 2004 third-round pick Max Starks has been penciled into the starting right tackle position vacated when Oliver Ross signed with Arizona.

The Steelers will also host Stockar McDougle, a former No. 1 pick in Detroit and the former starting right tackle for the Lions, for a free agent visit today on the South Side.

"Nothing's promised or anything like that, just the opportunity to compete for a starting role, and that's all I can ask," Klemm said. "I don't plan on being a backup; my main thing is I wanted to see the city. It's different coming to visit family and actually coming here to see the facilities, talking to coaches and everything.

"I already know it's a good organization. I just wanted to see what my role would be if I came over here."

Klemm said he has already visited Atlanta and might make one more free-agent stop.

Returning to New England is also an option, he said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_313411.html

ironcitychef
03-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Law and Klemm? I didn't know Pittsburgh was such a tourist attraction to people in the off season.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Yeah its quite a change from the the 90's and the 80's when we couldnt find hardly anyone who wanted to come Pittsburgh in a trade or FA. TRS was falling down, the Steelers didnt have much money, its wasnt pretty. Now, we can play w/ the big boys and attract the names that everyone else does. Nice to have to finally have that option.

JerseySTEEL
03-15-2005, 12:21 PM
rivras is a good tight end but being behind shocky didnt get any play, gaints ferind stell me this and would be a nice fit in pitt.

clevestinks
03-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Love having players from Pittsburgh come home, loyalty got to love it