PDA

View Full Version : Steelers kicker Reed cited for public intoxication

nojobny
10-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Steelers kicker Reed cited for public intoxication
Monday, October 19, 2009
By Dan Gigler, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was given a citation for public intoxication and disorderly conduct around 9 p.m. last night outside of McFadden's bar on the North Shore, according to Pittsburgh Police.

Police said that he will be mailed a summons to Pittsburgh City Court.

The incident occurred several hours after Reed kicked two field goals in the Steelers 27-14 win over Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Earlier this year, Mr. Reed, pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after police said he damaged a paper towel dispenser and harassed employees at a Sheetz convenience store in New Alexandria in February.

In that incident, witnesses told police that Mr. Reed, 30, went into the store bathroom and then became infuriated that there were no towels in the dispenser. He began banging on the dispenser and hurling profanities at employees, even after leaving the store.

Mr. Reed received a summary citation and was fined $543.50, which includes $210 in restitution to the store.

Read more: link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006696-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0UMdTEyKp)

toughsticks87
10-19-2009, 02:24 AM
Is it wrong that I find this funny?

steeltheone
10-19-2009, 02:30 AM
C'mon Jeff. Nothing wrong with getting bombed. But stay off the front page.

redst3
10-19-2009, 02:47 AM
He needs to grow up

Preacher
10-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Ok.

I have to ask, what in the world is happening that he is getting busted for pub. intox. when there are literally hundreds of people getting drunk?

Is he acting out? Making a fool of himself?

I gotta agree, its time to grow up a bit. Its also somewhat hilarious that our kicker is the bad-boy of the team...

solardave
10-19-2009, 03:01 AM
Ok.

I have to ask, what in the world is happening that he is getting busted for pub. intox. when there are literally hundreds of people getting drunk?

I gotta agree, its time to grow up a bit. Its also somewhat hilarious that our kicker is the bad-boy of the team...

Every team has at least one.I'm surprised he didn't get cited for public intoxication and beating the crap out of a dispenser. You are right though, he needs to grow up. Get his Sheetz together. Sorry had to do that.:chuckle:

Fire Haley
10-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Don't be "the guy" in the headlines, that's what Tomlin says.

Preacher
10-19-2009, 03:36 AM
Every team has at least one.I'm surprised he didn't get cited for public intoxication and beating the crap out of a dispenser. You are right though, he needs to grow up. Get his Sheetz together. Sorry had to do that.:chuckle:

:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
10-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Maybe that is why he missed those field goals against the Bears and Bengals he might have been intoxicated.:alcoholic

Preacher
10-19-2009, 03:49 AM
Maybe that is why he missed those field goals against the Bears and Bengals he might have been intoxicated.:alcoholic
or he might not have been!

BlastFurnace
10-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Jeff...I think you're a great kicker....but you need to grow up a little bit. If you're looking for a new contract from the Steelers...this is not the way to do it.

solardave
10-19-2009, 05:44 AM
or he might not have been!

Like his field goals it could go either way.

HometownGal
10-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Jeff...I think you're a great kicker....but you need to grow up a little bit. If you're looking for a new contract from the Steelers...this is not the way to do it.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

I luv ya Skippy and have no problem with you partying after a game, but getting into trouble with the 5-0 isn't going to show you the way to the Rooneys' wallet. :shake02:

KeiselPower99
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I laughed when I read this. I gotta admit though it didnt sound like he was doing anything to draw attention to himself. And I dont know how the PI law is in Pittsburgh but here in my town its a joke. Its not illegal to go into a bar. Not illegal to drink in a bar but once you go on the street and the police see you your caught for PI. Its a BS law that the cops use to their advantage.

memphissteelergirl
10-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Amen to that!

Jmat
10-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Skippy has issues. It's not funny anymore. He's our lush kicker the way that Vanderjagt was the Colts' lush kicker.

Kvnfaber
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Ok.

I agree. But the most violent he has been has been against a paper towel dispenser...:chuckle:

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Skippy has issues. It's not funny anymore. He's our lush kicker the way that Vanderjagt was the Colts' lush kicker.

I wish Dan were here. He needs to sit down with that young man. Have a good talk. :wink02:

steelballs
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Jeff needs to surround himself with people that make sure this kind if thing doesn't happen. If he's gonna go out in public to drink, make sure someone's running interference for him.
I'm certainly not going to call him out as a drunk, but he needs to be smarter.

SteelerFanInStl
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM

:iagree: He's not doing himself any favors.

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I wish Dan were here. He needs to sit down with that young man. Have a good talk. :wink02:
i dont know stillers, i wouldnt want to have to face tomlin after this.. i think he might be worse :wink02:

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
i dont know stillers, i wouldnt want to have to face tomlin after this.. i think he might be worse :wink02:

I have a feeling you're right. :sofunny:

WindyCitySteelerFan
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
You've GOTTA be blasted out of your mind to be singled out in the sea of hundreds in front of McFaddens hours after a Steeler game...

I mean, c'mon man!

steelerchad
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM

We'll know Skippy has a problem if the next time Ben is interviewed he refers to Reed as our Drunk, Idiot Kicker 4 or 5 times.

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 09:37 AM
We'll know Skippy has a problem if the next time Ben is interviewed he refers to Reed as our Drunk, Idiot Kicker 4 or 5 times.
i dont think we will hear that in a public interview from ben. he seems to not like throwing his teammates under the bus like another certain qb does... peyton :chuckle:

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
i dont think we will hear that in a public interview from ben. he seems to not like throwing his teammates under the bus like another certain qb does... peyton :chuckle:

Especially since Ben has his own issues to deal with. :coffee:

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Especially since Ben has his own issues to deal with. :coffee:
exactly, which i am getting tired of hearing about..lol... maybe we should just give jeff a few kegs of beer to go take the psycho out???:thumbsup:

steelpride12
10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Now this is a guy who has been under fire this season and wants a lot of money to return next season and he goes out and does something stupid again? Why

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 09:49 AM
exactly, which i am getting tired of hearing about..lol... maybe we should just give jeff a few kegs of beer to go take the psycho out???:thumbsup:

Not a good idea. He's probably sleep with her. :horror:

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Not a good idea. He's probably sleep with her. :horror:
well then she could drop one lawsuit for another :wink02:. well, at least he would have an excuse.. he was drunk..... i am still waiting on what ben's excuse was...lol:chuckle:

Steelboy84
10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
We really don't need this type of junk. We're not the Dallas Cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 10:02 AM
We really don't need this type of junk. We're not the Dallas Cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no they were the crackwagon.. we just have sexual assaults and public drunkeness..:chuckle: lol

RoethlisBURGHer
10-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Okay, I don't know why they chose him and not someone else. The article didn't say if he was drawing any attention to himself...but he very well might have been.

This is what, the third or fourth time in his career he has been in the paper for something other than his play on the field?

I have a feeling we won't be offering him a contract, and if the Steelers do it will be a low-ball offer.

While this is not as big as things some other players have done, he doesn't need Goodell's eye turned towards him.

And as for public intoxication laws...if you drink a single beer at the bar and then leave 10 minutes later...you can be cited for public intoxication. You don't have to be legally drunk to be cited for this.

And that is the reason, ladies and gents, that I drink at home.

Angus Burgher
10-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Geez, Jeff... watch yourself.

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 10:13 AM
And that is the reason, ladies and gents, that I drink at home.
exactly. if i am going to drink, i do it at home, that way i dont worry about having to drive home drunk or be in public drunk

RoethlisBURGHer
10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
exactly. if i am going to drink, i do it at home, that way i dont worry about having to drive home drunk or be in public drunk

I wasn't drunk in public, I was drunk in a bar. They THREW me into PUB-LIC! Arrest them.

X-Terminator
10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
He was cited for disorderly conduct as well as public intox...which means he evidently did do something to draw attention to himself.

I'm sure Mr. Tomlin is going to want to have a word with Mr. Reed, and I've a feeling that will not be a pleasant conversation. I'm sure he was told after the last incident to cut out the silly stuff and stay out of trouble. I'm not going to go so far as to say he's ruined his chances at a new contract, but this certainly doesn't help his case.

LambertLunatic
10-19-2009, 10:24 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648769.html

According to the Trib, Matt Spaeth was taking a leak outside a bar when the cops caught him. Reed interfered, refused to get back into his (or Spaeth's) vehicle when ordered to do so, and brought his fists up toward a cop.

Spaeth peeing on his SUV's tire is no big deal, and was charged with public urination.

Reed crossed the line, however, and was charged with simple assault, resisting arrest, both misdemeanor counts, as well as disorderly conduct and public intoxication. I look for a suspension from Goodell, probably 3-5 games. I also look for the Steelers to let him go free agent next year. This incident by itself MIGHT have saved Reed from Goodell's wrath, and possibly even the team's willingness to sign him, but after his paper towel episode, he's shown a pattern. Color him gone next year.

Fire Haley
10-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I'll be the first to buy Skippy a beer.

You drunken hypocrites will be the first crying when we hire some scrub off the street and he loses a game.

I bet Ravens fans wish they had Stover back.

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
While I cringe at the thought of not having him, especially with as close as games have been this year, he deserves what he gets.

I bet Donte Stallworth wishes someone had kept him from getting into his car that day.

Goodell seems to be happy with letting the Steelers handle situations like this. How does facing the Vikes without Jeff Reed make you feel???? As close as our games have been, I'm not liking that scenario.

Was a win over the Browns worth it, Jeff?

fansince'76
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
http://www.maurylaws.com/Heatmiser.jpg

+

http://www.comedycentral.com/images/events/nycomedy/nycf_m4_andrew_dice_clay.jpg

+

http://pssht.com/images/booze_bottles.gif

=

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/jeffreed.jpg

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 10:40 AM
LMBO

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Let's see who's laughing next week. We all know Tomlin could not give a rat's ass who we are are playing when he benches someone.

Edman
10-19-2009, 10:46 AM
I'll be the first to buy Skippy a beer.

You drunken hypocrites will be the first crying when we hire some scrub off the street and he loses a game.

I bet Ravens fans wish they had Stover back.

Matt Stover wasn't a party animal lunatic that got in trouble with the law. Reed may be a clutch kicker, but it isn't worth the headache anymore.

Peter Czech, come on down.

jjpro11
10-19-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648769.html

According to the Trib, Matt Spaeth was taking a leak outside a bar when the cops caught him. Reed interfered, refused to get back into his (or Spaeth's) vehicle when ordered to do so, and brought his fists up toward a cop.

Spaeth peeing on his SUV's tire is no big deal, and was charged with public urination.

Reed crossed the line, however, and was charged with simple assault, resisting arrest, both misdemeanor counts, as well as disorderly conduct and public intoxication. I look for a suspension from Goodell, probably 3-5 games. I also look for the Steelers to let him go free agent next year. This incident by itself MIGHT have saved Reed from Goodell's wrath, and possibly even the team's willingness to sign him, but after his paper towel episode, he's shown a pattern. Color him gone next year.

he's not getting 3-5 games for that.. i don't even know if he will get suspended one game.

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
he's not getting 3-5 games for that.. i don't even know if he will get suspended one game.

Tomlin will suspend him for next week. He did it to Santonio ( and that was also a misdemeanor) and we were playing the Giants. Goodell will say, good enough, just like he did for Tone. The Steelers take care of their own problems.

No Skippy next week. Book it.

Thank you very much, Jeff.

Shoes
10-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Yep, Peter Czech will be back in town.

Steelboy84
10-19-2009, 11:03 AM
no they were the crackwagon.. we just have sexual assaults and public drunkeness..:chuckle: lol

lol

XxKnightxX
10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
He probably will not play, and whos gonna be our Kicker now ? Sepulveda? I heard Timmons can Kick too haha

Shoes
10-19-2009, 11:10 AM
http://www.maurylaws.com/Heatmiser.jpg

+

http://www.comedycentral.com/images/events/nycomedy/nycf_m4_andrew_dice_clay.jpg

+

http://pssht.com/images/booze_bottles.gif

=

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/n_mckeown/jeffreed.jpg

Hey Gary....you forgot this one :chuckle:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/thumbnailaspx.jpg

arge5809
10-19-2009, 11:14 AM

:doh: :rofl: :flap: :sofunny: :funny: :hasign:

Angus Burgher
10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Yep, Peter Czech will be back in town.

He kicked during the preseason, right? Is he any good?

steelreserve
10-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Whatever. I fully support having a drunken kicker. It adds character to the team.

To everyone who thinks he's going to be suspended next week: Who else is going to do the kicking? Nobody we have on the roster now, that's for sure. And if you think it's Czech, who would we cut to get him a roster spot? Do you REALLY think we'd do that just because the kicker got hammered?

SteelerEmpire
10-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Reports are coming in saying that Spaeth was caught taking a leak near an SUV downtown. The police saw him and when they approached him, Reed got out and they found out he was drunk.... LINK: http://www.tmz.com/ (scroll down... also, go down 2 posts and read the one about "Dead Air..." the nerve of that guy.....).
I KNEW this guy looked like he had a hangover during that Chicago game (Remember, he missed several important FG's). Come on Reed..... get it together man....!!! :doh:

Fire Haley
10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Spaeth was the one peeing in public.

I''ll buy Skippy two beers for sticking up for his bud.

tunes4life
10-19-2009, 11:48 AM
The article that I read said that he was beating the living daylights out of a parking meter out side the pub. It wouldn't take his Canadian quarters.

:poop:

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 12:02 PM
He probably will not play, and whos gonna be our Kicker now ? Sepulveda? I heard Timmons can Kick too haha
well we know HTG wouldnt mind some more Sepulveda time :chuckle:

Jmat
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Does Skippy realize he's a Steeler? Does he realize he's being a dumb ass? Does he realize he's effen himself?

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Does Skippy realize he's a Steeler? Does he realize he's being a dumb ass? Does he realize he's effen himself?
maybe he had a brain cramp and thought he was a bengal:wink02:

Shoes
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
He kicked during the preseason, right? Is he any good?

Hard to say, he kicked a 52 yard FG under mike t. pressure in training camp, hit a 34 yard fg and missed one from 40 in the same game against the bills in preseason. I think the kid has potential. Have to see how this pans out with wild reed.

PolamaluPower
10-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Hilarious picture :applaudit:

As for Reed, he needs to go. He's making the Steelers look disgraceful. This is also his second run in with the law. He needs to make peace with paper towels and Spaeth needs to find a restroom.

AllD
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
He needs to quit drinking because he cannot handle it and it will affect his health. His judgement is off evidenced by the two outbursts.

pepsyman1
10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
It makes you wonder....how drunk would Reed have to be in public before the police actually felt it necessary to give him a citation? Usually the cops give these guys quite a bit of slack and flexibility. Must have been quite a spectacle...lol

steeltheone
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Bringing fist up to Police is no laughing matter. Should at least get one game off.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Well to raise a fist at a police officer, he had to be pretty hammered.

He's lucky he didn't get charged with threatening a police officer, and the only reason he wasn't charged with that is because he's the Steelers kicker. If he was one of us, he would have been cuffed and hauled off to jail.

I am not saying he should be suspended or shouldn't be resigned.

But he needs to get his shit together and stop being a damn dumbass. Not only is it a one-way ticket out of Pittsburgh....it's a good way to not get signed at all in the offseason.

WeegiesWarriors
10-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Dude has a problem. Anybody really party anymore after beating the Browns? I don't and I live in Northern Ohio. If you are then you're just looking for your next drink.

Step 1 is realizing you are partying after beating the Stains.

hindes204
10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I really dont think its that big of a deal, he had some beers, stuck up for a friend, and the cops got pissed

Angus Burgher
10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't know if this is true, but it says on wikipedia that the Steelers released Matt Spaeth over this.

Preacher
10-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Sigh.

Spaeth... if you are going to pee on a car, find one with a Browns bumper sticker first.

Reed... Grow up.

HometownGal
10-19-2009, 03:16 PM
well we know HTG wouldnt mind some more Sepulveda time :chuckle:

You're right, but I love Skippy and can only hope he gets his off-the-field act together fast and in a hurry. I'd still take Reed over any PK in the league. However, not smart to get cited twice in a 6 month span in a contract year. :shake02:

Preacher
10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Well, the league is getting involved now.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1859&line=155829&spln=1

Anyone wanna bet the seriousness of the league's penalty will far exceed the seriousness of the charge as compared to oh...say... videotaping?

wootawnee
10-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Makes me wanna puke that cops treat Steelers like this.............
Back in the 70's they would have drove them home and carried them up the stoop......
Then again the Steeler players back then were not making much more money than the cops......

I still find it like our society does not care as much for each other these days.........

He is my take on how the people in the media want players to act...........

1. Play your game, then go home and be quiet.......
2. Do charity work to get good press.......
3 Do not go out and have a good time like normal people........

HometownGal
10-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Makes me wanna puke that cops treat Steelers like this.............
Back in the 70's they would have drove them home and carried them up the stoop......
Then again the Steeler players back then were not making much more money than the cops......

I still find it like our society does not care as much for each other these days.........

He is my take on how the people in the media want players to act...........

1. Play your game, then go home and be quiet.......
2. Do charity work to get good press.......
3 Do not go out and have a good time like normal people........

:jawdrop: So - you expect professional athletes to be cut slack when they break the law? :jawdrop:

I have no problem whatsoever with Skippy partying after a game, but what I do have a problem with is his defiance towards the police. He sharts in the john just like you and I do and he shouldn't be cut any slack just because he is a member of our beloved Steelers. Period.

CPanther95
10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
There's a guy (in Mass. IIRC) that got caught urinating in public and because of the charge, he has to register as a sex offender for life.

SqhillSteeler
10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
At the game yesterday someone made a comment to Reed after his kickoff resulted in a Cribbs return. Reed proceeded to respond to the fan, motioning for the man to come down to the field and put a jersey on. Later after Reed did his job and kicked short so Cribbs couldnt return the kick, another fan mad a comment. Reed responded to the a fans criticisim once again. This time he made a motion, indicating that the man should go get another beer. Anyone ins section 132-133 rows A through L should be able to attest to such behavior.

Sad conduct from another immature professional athlete.

Granted the man does his job well, but well he is just a kicker and therefor should be subject to the same if not stricter standards that the Rooneys hold their employees to.

steelreserve
10-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't know if this is true, but it says on wikipedia that the Steelers released Matt Spaeth over this.

I noticed that too. Doesn't say anything about it anywhere else yet, though.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they let Spaeth go, though. He's pretty much played his way off the depth chart anyway -- I think he's only even seen the field in three games. Maybe we were even looking for an excuse.

If it's true, seems like it would conveniently free up a roster spot for a second kicker if we or the league decides to give Reed some time off. Then whenever that's over, we could just bring up that guy from the practice squad if we really needed three TEs.

I still cannot stress how funny I think it is that out of all the guys on the team, it's the kicker that keeps getting arrested.

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 03:57 PM
James Harrison said he'd give it shot.

Angus Burgher
10-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah, Spaeth hasn't been much of a factor, I guess... but it may just be because Miller is typically the TE that Ben throws to if he's going that route. TE is such a hard position to judge since it's kind of half-blocking/half-receiving. Is Spaeth a good blocker?

Jmat
10-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Spaeth sucks as a blocker.

As for Wikipedia, you can't believe what you read there seeing as anyone can write anything they want there.
You have to wait to see it confirmed from a reputable source before you ever believe what you read on Wikipedia.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-19-2009, 04:05 PM
So will Reed be suspended/cut? What do you guys think?

Burghfan58
10-19-2009, 04:12 PM
So will Reed be suspended/cut? What do you guys think?

Suspended for a game or two by the NFL Gods and let go by the Steelers after this season. As for Spaeth, he is a lousy blocker and they throw to him sparingly. I can't imagine they can't find someone better.

steelreserve
10-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Suspended for a game or two by the NFL Gods and let go by the Steelers after this season. As for Spaeth, he is a lousy blocker and they throw to him sparingly. I can't imagine they can't find someone better.

They already did find someone better. Johnson is getting most of the work as the second-stringer these days, I think. When McHugh comes back next season, I really don't like Spaeth's chances. Which is why I wonder if we don't just get it over with now.

I don't think the team is going to suspend Reed; the NFL would have to. It's a much messier situation to suspend a kicker, because you'd not only have to find a replacement, you'd have to make a roster move. Anyone else gets suspended, and you just bring in their backup who's already on the roster. But then again, how often do you see the kicker get suspended? Not something you normally worry about.

Indo
10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
The NFL is looking at it

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006696-66.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX

Edit:
OOPS!

Sorry. I thought that this was an extension of the OP's story
My apologies

steelreserve
10-19-2009, 04:38 PM

I also wonder if that "report" isn't just a mistake by someone who saw that Spaeth was "cited and released" and thought "released" meant the team let go of him, but really it just meant the police released him from custody. That would be dumb.

But I still wouldn't be surprised either way. Sort of surprised. Not a lot, though.

Shoes
10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
I also wonder if that "report" isn't just a mistake by someone who saw that Spaeth was "cited and released" and thought "released" meant the team let go of him, but really it just meant the police released him from custody. That would be dumb.

But I still wouldn't be surprised either way. Sort of surprised. Not a lot, though.

I believe this is the case here.

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
This certainly puts things in a different light.

Article Tools
EmailPrintNFL will review incident involving Steelers' Reed, police
Monday, October 19, 2009
By Dan Gigler and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jeff ReedThe NFL said today it is investigating an incident last night in which Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was wrestled to the ground by Pittsburgh police officers, placed under arrest and given multiple citations after a drunken confrontation outside a North Shore bar.

Mr. Reed's Atlanta-based agent, Don Henderson, said today, however, that his client was wrongfully detained.

"We're contesting it," Mr. Henderson said. "It involved somebody else on the team, he got out to try to help and basically got attacked by the police. He was with his parents. He got out and tried to help and evidently they didn't want to hear that. We're definitely going to contest it. It was somebody else trying to do something and Jeff ended up getting slammed in the middle."

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said today that the team "is still gathering details and will not have a comment until we have more information." The NFL is also investigating the incident, according to a league spokesman.

According to police, the incident occurred around 9 p.m. outside McFadden's bar, several hours after Reed kicked two field goals in the Steelers 27-14 win over Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Police had been dispatched to the 200 block of North Shore Drive for an unrelated incident when the responding officers noticed a man, later identified as Steelers tight end Matthew Spaeth, urinating outside a large, white SUV parked nearby.

The officer went to Mr. Spaeth to issue a citation when, police said, the Steelers kicker got out of the vehicle.

He refused to get back into the vehicle, which was driven by his father. Instead, Mr. Reed put up his fists and got "into a fighters stance," according to a police affidavit.

The confrontation was swift as one officer put Mr. Reed in an arm lock while a second officer forced him to the ground.

Mr. Reed continued to resist as the officers struggled to get his hands behind him to be put in cuffs, the affidavit said.

Police said the kicker smelled strongly of alcohol and he appeared to be intoxicated.

After the suspect calmed down, police issued a citation for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness. He was released at the scene to his father's custody, police said, and will receive a summons in the mail that will order him to court to face the charges.

It is the second time this year that Mr. Reed has had a run-in with police. Earlier this year in Westmoreland County, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after police said he damaged a paper towel dispenser and harassed employees at a Sheetz convenience store in New Alexandria in February.

In that incident, witnesses told police that Mr. Reed, 30, went into the store bathroom and then became infuriated that there were no towels in the dispenser. He began banging on the dispenser and hurling profanities at employees, even after leaving the store.

Mr. Reed received a summary citation and was fined $543.50, which includes $210 in restitution to the store.

The NFL fined Mr. Reed $10,000 for that incident.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006696-66.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX#ixzz0UQEB7OOe

So they were with Jeffs parent's and Spaeth was taking a leak outside the car??

Alrighty then.

steeltheone
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Spaeth took a a piss outside. That is no BIG deal. We all have done this. What we all have not done is throw fist up at Police and have to be wrestled to the ground and cuffed. The mans 30.

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 05:12 PM
The police claim he did that. I wonder what the witnesses will have to say. I firmly support police officers and appreciate the job they do. But sometimes, they can get a little overaggresive. Maybe Reed deserved what he got..........or maybe he just lifted his hands and the police overreacted because they smelled alcohol. Who really knows...we weren't there.

For now, I give the officers the benefit of the doubt until further details are released, while keeping an open mind to what might have happened.

jjpro11
10-19-2009, 05:31 PM
This certainly puts things in a different light.

Article Tools
EmailPrintNFL will review incident involving Steelers' Reed, police
Monday, October 19, 2009
By Dan Gigler and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jeff ReedThe NFL said today it is investigating an incident last night in which Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was wrestled to the ground by Pittsburgh police officers, placed under arrest and given multiple citations after a drunken confrontation outside a North Shore bar.

Mr. Reed's Atlanta-based agent, Don Henderson, said today, however, that his client was wrongfully detained.

"We're contesting it," Mr. Henderson said. "It involved somebody else on the team, he got out to try to help and basically got attacked by the police. He was with his parents. He got out and tried to help and evidently they didn't want to hear that. We're definitely going to contest it. It was somebody else trying to do something and Jeff ended up getting slammed in the middle."

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said today that the team "is still gathering details and will not have a comment until we have more information." The NFL is also investigating the incident, according to a league spokesman.

According to police, the incident occurred around 9 p.m. outside McFadden's bar, several hours after Reed kicked two field goals in the Steelers 27-14 win over Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Police had been dispatched to the 200 block of North Shore Drive for an unrelated incident when the responding officers noticed a man, later identified as Steelers tight end Matthew Spaeth, urinating outside a large, white SUV parked nearby.

The officer went to Mr. Spaeth to issue a citation when, police said, the Steelers kicker got out of the vehicle.

He refused to get back into the vehicle, which was driven by his father. Instead, Mr. Reed put up his fists and got "into a fighters stance," according to a police affidavit.

The confrontation was swift as one officer put Mr. Reed in an arm lock while a second officer forced him to the ground.

Mr. Reed continued to resist as the officers struggled to get his hands behind him to be put in cuffs, the affidavit said.

Police said the kicker smelled strongly of alcohol and he appeared to be intoxicated.

After the suspect calmed down, police issued a citation for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness. He was released at the scene to his father's custody, police said, and will receive a summons in the mail that will order him to court to face the charges.

It is the second time this year that Mr. Reed has had a run-in with police. Earlier this year in Westmoreland County, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after police said he damaged a paper towel dispenser and harassed employees at a Sheetz convenience store in New Alexandria in February.

The NFL fined Mr. Reed $10,000 for that incident.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006696-66.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX#ixzz0UQEB7OOe

So they were with Jeffs parent's and Spaeth was taking a leak outside the car??

Alrighty then.

that is one bizarre night. lol

seriously though.. that douche bag on the Panthers only got one game for one of the worst cheap shots you will ever see in a football game. if Reed gets more than that, something is seriously wrong. Goodell's punishments are ridiculously inconsistent. that guy should have been given the rest of the season off without pay.

tony hipchest
10-19-2009, 05:36 PM

appearantly someone has posted some cellphone video footage of skippy picking fights with patron's inside the bar, before the incident with the cops-

ea2Lb_WOBD0

this is clearly him at the 45 second mark-

FpHIIE9Lois

:sofunny: @ jeff dirt!

i'd buy him a beer too. (and props to m. spaeth for dropping trou infront of skippys mom). seriously, atleast it sounds like they had a designated driver, unless mom and dad were hammered too. good job guys. :thumbsup:

Psyychoward86
10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I liked it better when he was destroying paper towel dispensers

wootawnee
10-19-2009, 05:44 PM
:jawdrop: So - you expect professional athletes to be cut slack when they break the law? :jawdrop:

I have no problem whatsoever with Skippy partying after a game, but what I do have a problem with is his defiance towards the police. He sharts in the john just like you and I do and he shouldn't be cut any slack just because he is a member of our beloved Steelers. Period.

I just think that this is going on too much in the country.......Police are way too eager to lock up, than to help out..........Helping out is much better for our communities than locking up........Unless it is a felony......

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Jeff Dirt. :toofunny:

He reminds me peopleofwalmart.com

wootawnee
10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Jeff Reed has a good heart.........This stuff can't keep him down........The league would be way out of line taking any action here.........These kinda offenses are always one word against another..........

I would say the parents are the ones who can clear this up........

lilyoder6
10-19-2009, 05:58 PM
the cop that arrested reed was young.. he is probably trying 2 make a name for him..

whats worse.. was that his parents were in another vehicle when all of this went down..

and 2 me.. it did not seem he curled his fists

Shoes
10-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Jeff Reed has a good heart.........This stuff can't keep him down........The league would be way out of line taking any action here.........These kinda offenses are always one word against another..........

I would say the parents are the ones who can clear this up........

Maybe the parents were busy tearing out paper towel dispensers when this was going on :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
or mom was busy checking out other sites in the city..lol :chuckle:

Kvnfaber
10-19-2009, 06:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Steelers-do-everything-as-a-team-including-?urn=nfl,196894

The Pittsburgh Steelers' tradition of success is often credited to a family-style, all-for one, one-for-all type of attitude that runs from the top of the organization down to the bottom.

It appears that that attitude spreads off the field, too. Into bars, even. Into the parking lots of those bars. And to the vehicles next to which backup tight ends are urinating.
Steelers kicker Jeff Reed(notes), never noted for his shy behavior, was arrested last night and charged with simple assault and resisting arrest. According to Pittsburgh's TribLive, Reed was coming to the aid of teammate Matt Spaeth, who was urinating next to a white SUV. Here's the report:

Police responded to an unrelated incident at McFadden's, a North Shore bar and restaurant across a parking lot from Heinz Field, around 9 p.m., [police Sargeant Tina] Davidson said. While there, officers spotted a man urinating outside a white sport utility vehicle and began to give the man ó identified as Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth(notes) ó a ticket when Reed exited the vehicle, Davidson said.
"The officers told him several times to get back in the vehicle, but he did not listen," Davidson said. "Mr. Reed then squared up with an officer by bringing his fists up."
Officers tackled Reed and cuffed him at the scene, Davidson said.
"He smelled of a strong odor of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated," Davidson said.

Ah, Jeff Reed. Leave it to him to get in trouble when he's not even the one doing the public urinating. Exactly how was he defending Spaeth? Police saw him peeing. What can he possibly say? Was it the old, "Come on, officer, this guy's got really clean pee" defense?

Kicker or not, no one can ever say that Jeff Reed isn't there for his teammates.

Kvnfaber
10-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Can you move this into the thread that was already started, I'm sorry I missed it.

tony hipchest
10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
in other news...

najeh "dookie" davenport was not on the premises.

Polamalu Princess
10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I love the guy, but I just do not get this - maybe he needs a time-out in the corner. :doh:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Maybe he didn't raise fists. Maybe he just raised his hands in a "I mean no hard" gesture and the cop flipped. It easily could have been what happened, especially with a young cop who is very inexperienced.

SteelStang
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Who was the kid we had in training camp? Name escapes me. He looked pretty solid, bring him until Quadzilla gets himself straight.

As for Spaeth, ironically enough, his blocking makes me peed off.:pissed:

Shoes
10-19-2009, 07:03 PM
in other news...

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

4xSBChamps
10-19-2009, 07:21 PM
He needs to tell his hair stylist to lay-off the industrial-strength bleach next month

corrected for factual-content

steelwalls
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
He's a character.... one of a kind for a kicker...

Angus Burgher
10-19-2009, 08:10 PM
in other news...

You didn't see him squatting in the corner? :chuckle:

lilyoder6
10-19-2009, 09:51 PM
and the whole situation could of been handled differently..

the 1st responders instigated some shit.. and it was bad..

stop trying 2 make reed out like he is a bad guy.. he was trying 2 defend a friend/team-mate.. i would say all of us has done something like that 4 a friend

LVSteelersfan
10-19-2009, 10:37 PM
He better get his act together on the field in my opinion. The Clowns got the ball on the 40-50 yard line repeatedly after his kickoffs. And don't give me that crap about kicking to keep it away from Cribbs. If he would kick the ball into the end zone like most kickers do instead of to the 10 yard line, the other team wouldn't get such great field position all the time. If that happens against the Vikings, we may be in trouble. He should be working out in the offseason to strengthen that damn leg instead of beating up towel dispensers. He seems like a real d-bag to me. Personally I don't care if he gets a new contract next year.

mesaSteeler
10-19-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648863.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers kicker Reed's agent denies charges

By Jason Cato and Scott Brown
TRIBUNE REVIEW
Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The agent for Steelers kicker Jeff Reed said his client will fight charges stemming from his arrest outside a North Shore bar Sunday night.

Authorities said Reed, 30, attempted to fight Pittsburgh police officers hours after helping the Steelers beat the Cleveland Browns at nearby Heinz Field. It was his second scrape with the law in eight months.

A police report stated that Reed "squared up with (an officer) by bringing his fists up and going into a fighter's stance." Within seconds, officers gang-tackled the two-time Super Bowl champion and placed him under arrest.

Reed is charged with simple assault and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors, as well as disorderly conduct and public intoxication.

Donal Henderson, Reed's Atlanta-based agent, said the police report is untrue.

"You think he'd put his hands up to fight a police officer? You've got to be kidding me," Henderson said. "That's ridiculous. Jeff Reed wouldn't fight anybody, so we disagree with the police and what happened. We'll try to take care of it as cleanly as we can."

Reed declined comment. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is "looking into" the incident, which could subject Reed to punishment for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy a second time.

The incident happened shortly after 9 p.m., said police Sgt. Tina Davidson, when officers responded to an unrelated disturbance at McFadden's, a bar and restaurant near Heinz Field. While there, officers spotted a man urinating outside a white sport utility vehicle and began to give the man ó identified as Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth ó a ticket when Reed exited the vehicle, Davidson said.

"The officers told him several times to get back in the vehicle, but he did not listen," Davidson said.

The police report states that Reed "smelled of a strong odor of alcoholic beverage and appeared to be intoxicated."

Henderson said it is not Reed's "personality" to put up his fists, particularly to a police officer.

"He may try to talk him to death, but he's not going to try to hit him," Henderson said. "That's just not his personality at all. He's about as non-confrontational a person I know."

The commander of the Zone One/North Side police station could not be reached for comment in response to Henderson's allegations.

Police released Reed into the custody of his father, Morris Reed of Charlotte, N.C. Spaeth, 25, was cited and released at the scene, Davidson said.

The Steelers declined comment until more information becomes available, spokesman Dave Lockett said.

In February, Reed damaged a paper towel dispenser during an early-morning tantrum at a Westmoreland County convenience store. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief charges for the Feb. 17 incident at a Sheetz in New Alexandria. He paid $543 in fines and restitution. The NFL fined him $10,000.

Henderson said Reed knocked over the dispenser while trying to retrieve a paper towel and offered to pay for the damage.

"You name one person that you know that if they were in a similar situation when they hit the side of a machine to get the paper towels to come out, and all he did was hit it, and the machine fell," Henderson said.

Reed joined the Steelers in November 2002. He is in the final year of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent following the season. He makes $1.43 million per season.

This season, Reed has made seven of 10 field-goal attempts. He has made 82 percent of attempts for his career and entered this season ranked second on the Steelers' all-time scoring list with 733 points.

devilsdancefloor
10-19-2009, 11:20 PM
He better get his act together on the field in my opinion. The Clowns got the ball on the 40-50 yard line repeatedly after his kickoffs. And don't give me that crap about kicking to keep it away from Cribbs. If he would kick the ball into the end zone like most kickers do instead of to the 10 yard line, the other team wouldn't get such great field position all the time. If that happens against the Vikings, we may be in trouble. He should be working out in the offseason to strengthen that damn leg instead of beating up towel dispensers. He seems like a real d-bag to me. Personally I don't care if he gets a new contract next year.

um he was trying to keep it away from cribbs after the TD... im a little confused aboutr your comments on the kickoffs NOT every kicker gets into the endzone. We pay skipy for FG accuracy not the abiolity to put it 8 yards deep intot he endzone. Also i think he has been doing a good job on kickoffs. I am not happy he did what he did, but if he stood up for matt good for him (band of brothers). None of us will know what happened except those who where there. I do think this cost him a big pay check and maybe a few games. Maybe even a huge payday net year either with the steelers or another team. Im jsut wondering if bob krafts puppet wil make him go into the drug rehab program....

Preacher
10-19-2009, 11:59 PM
In related news,

Rodger Good-deal took away the Steelers first and third draft pick for such outrageous behavior. To compensate in the draft and not leave a rookie that should have been drafted in the first round with less money, Good-deal gave the 1st and 3rd round picks to the Patriots.

bozz723
10-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Just re read some of these posts and it seems some of you want to blame the police for this, they did their job !

If you have been around the crowds after the game, you know the cops take no shit with anyone. They really don't have the time or the room to put up with it.

When I was in the military we had to learn crowd tactics and one of the first rules is you take down the first loud mouth. If you let him run the crowd gets worse, especially if he mouthing off at the cops. It can get out of hand in a hurry.

Yea, I'm sure there are a bunch of dissenters just waiting to piss on a building with Jeff Reed because he is the loudest. People will always piss publicly if they have to go while drunk, it does not matter what the police say.

It's literally pointless to cite someone for pissing while drunk, it is useless.

LVSteelersfan
10-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Recon, Danny boy has the leg to Kick Off? Didn't Atlanta's punter do that a few years?

I agree. The Vikings used to have their punter do kickoffs when Gary Anderson couldn't get the ball into the end zone. I am sure Sepulveda could do the job. I don't know why people want to defend Reed so much. He has missed several absolutely critical field goals this year that cost us two games and probably any chance at home field advantage this year. He acts like an absolute jerk out in public (the Steelers organization does not put up with this crap very long) and he kills our field position on at least half of his kickoffs. I could care less what he did in the past. He needs to perform now.

Spaeth is nothing special. He will be gone by next year as well. What an idiot.

steelreserve
10-20-2009, 02:23 AM
I agree. The Vikings used to have their punter do kickoffs when Gary Anderson couldn't get the ball into the end zone.

Ironically, the name of that Minnesota punter who used to do kickoffs was Mitch Berger. He was an Aussie Rules guy; he could do whatever he wanted.

I don't know why people want to defend Reed so much. He has missed several absolutely critical field goals this year that cost us two games and probably any chance at home field advantage this year. He acts like an absolute jerk out in public (the Steelers organization does not put up with this crap very long) and he kills our field position on at least half of his kickoffs. I could care less what he did in the past. He needs to perform now.

Spaeth, I think is headed out the door regardless. He's a free agent at the end of the year, he's not doing what you'd hope from a 3rd-round pick, and we may already have three tight ends who are better once McHugh comes off the disabled list next year.

I don't know what to make of Reed, but he sure seems like he's turning into a headcase. The drinking part really doesn't bother me, but he's also missing field goals, and he's really just had a lot of kicks that have gone in from close, but still looked like shit and had me worried he shanked them, which he may well have. Put together, it just seems like it might (stress, "might") be a whole ball of drama going on, which is not what you need from the KICKER.

Preacher
10-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Yea, I'm sure there are a bunch of dissenters just waiting to piss on a building with Jeff Reed because he is the loudest. People will always piss publicly if they have to go while drunk, it does not matter what the police say.

It's literally pointless to cite someone for pissing while drunk, it is useless.

That wasn't what J. Reed was cited for. He was cited for squaring up with a cop and putting his fists up as if to fight.

That is an entirely different ball game. He deserves to be cited and arrested for that.

Sorry.

bozz723
10-20-2009, 03:03 AM
That wasn't what J. Reed was cited for. He was cited for squaring up with a cop and putting his fists up as if to fight.

That is an entirely different ball game. He deserves to be cited and arrested for that.

Sorry.

Correct.

X-Terminator
10-20-2009, 03:08 AM

OK, it's one thing to criticize what he does off the field, but don't just make things up about his performance ON it. If you know anything about football, then you would know that whenever a kicker pooch-kicks it like he did, that decision usually comes from the ST COACH, not the kicker. He is only doing what he is asked to do, which the last time I checked is part of his job description. When your boss asks you to do something, do you say "hey boss, I'm not going to do that, I'm going to do this instead?" Somehow I doubt it, and you would not have a job for very long. Every kicker in the league regardless of how strong their leg is on kickoffs has been asked to do the same thing at one point or another. Billy Cundiff did the same thing when he pooched it to Spaeth in the 3rd quarter - are you going to blast him for doing it? Probably not. So you're going to blame someone for that, blame Bob Ligashesky - it was HIS decision. And he has cost us exactly ONE GAME with missed FGs this year, a game in which he kicked in wet conditions on an unfamiliar field. This was after he was lauded as everyone's hero - and probably by you too - for kicking the GW FG against the Titans just 10 days earlier.

Take the emotion out of your response, and use your brain. You know better than that.

X-Terminator
10-20-2009, 03:42 AM
I know he is asked to pooch it when we are having coverage issues, but he has never been known for driving it deep on kick offs.

I wouldn't say he's a bum, but turning into not much special.

Yes I know that, and I said during the game that I wish he could kick it out of the end zone instead of pooching it, but it is what it is. Not every kicker in the league consistently kicks the ball into the end zone on kickoffs either, so he's not the only one.

And it's absolutely amazing how quickly the fans can turn on a player. Last year and every year before, everyone loved him because he was Mr. Clutch. This year, he has one bad game, and now he's "not much special." When I say Steelers fans are fickle as hell, I'm speaking the truth.

steelballs
10-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Who was the kid we had in training camp? Name escapes me. He looked pretty solid, bring him until Quadzilla gets himself straight.

As for Spaeth, ironically enough, his blocking makes me peed off.:pissed:

Last name was Czech...I think.

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 06:59 AM
And it's absolutely amazing how quickly the fans can turn on a player. Last year and every year before, everyone loved him because he was Mr. Clutch. This year, he has one bad game, and now he's "not much special." When I say Steelers fans are fickle as hell, I'm speaking the truth.

Sad but unfortunately true. Some Steelers "fans" turn on their players as fast as a rattlesnake when they have a once in a blue moon bad game. :shake02:

Texasteel
10-20-2009, 07:19 AM
I agree. The Vikings used to have their punter do kickoffs when Gary Anderson couldn't get the ball into the end zone. I am sure Sepulveda could do the job. I don't know why people want to defend Reed so much. He has missed several absolutely critical field goals this year that cost us two games and probably any chance at home field advantage this year. He acts like an absolute jerk out in public (the Steelers organization does not put up with this crap very long) and he kills our field position on at least half of his kickoffs. I could care less what he did in the past. He needs to perform now.

Gee, I thought it was Sweed's dropped balls that cost us the game, or a defense that can't stop a drive in the 4th quarter, or Arians stupid plays before he became a genius. I'm sure there were a few others I can't remember right now.

Get a grip people. Very few losses belong to one person.

SteelStang
10-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Last name was Czech...I think.
That's it! Thank you steelballs

Why did I feel dirty typing 'steelballs?'

KeiselPower99
10-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Either way both charges are misdemeaners. What drunk hadnt peed in a parking lot when leaving a bar?

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Gee, I thought it was Sweed's dropped balls that cost us the game, or a defense that can't stop a drive in the 4th quarter, or Arians stupid plays before he became a genius. I'm sure there were a few others I can't remember right now.

Get a grip people. Very few losses belong to one person.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/images/applause.gif

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
What drunk hadnt peed in a parking lot when leaving a bar?

I've never been a drunk, but I can honestly say I haven't. :chuckle:

I'm going to merge this with the other thread on this topic.

mulldog24
10-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Either way both charges are misdemeaners. What drunk hadnt peed in a parking lot when leaving a bar?

Exactly!!!! You know this is gonna get blown out of proportion.:coffee:

Texasteel
10-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99

Try being 60 years old, a long ways from a restroom, franticly looking for a tree.

Jmat
10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
You know what you do when confronted by the police?
You keep your mouth shut and only answer the questions the cop is asking. You stay calm and courteous and answer with yes sir, no sir, or ma'am or officer.
You don't attempt to defend a friend unless the cop asked you to give your side of a story.
You stay in your car unless told to get out or you get back in if the cop tell you too.
Being confrontational with the police is no way to get on their good side or to expect a simple resolution to the problem.
Your friend was taking a piss where he shouldn't have been and got busted. Oh well.

In this day and age the cops have to presume and prepare for the worst.
Alcohol makes everyone brave and stupid.

If you have a problem with the way a cop handled a situation that's fine but deal with it at a later time.

Too many people want to be bad ass, tough guys or girls in dealing with the police especially when loaded.
Guess who's going to lose?

nojobny
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
You know what you do when confronted by the police?
You keep your mouth shut and only answer the questions the cop is asking. You stay calm and courteous and answer with yes sir, no sir, or ma'am or officer.
You don't attempt to defend a friend unless the cop asked you to give your side of a story.
You stay in your car unless told to get out or you get back in if the cop tell you too.
Being confrontational with the police is no way to get on their good side or to expect a simple resolution to the problem.
Your friend was taking a piss where he shouldn't have been and got busted. Oh well.

In this day and age the cops have to presume and prepare for the worst.
Alcohol makes everyone brave and stupid.

If you have a problem with the way a cop handled a situation that's fine but deal with it at a later time.

Too many people want to be bad ass, tough guys or girls in dealing with the police especially when loaded.
Guess who's going to lose?

I think Reed has a 'Don't you know who I am?!" complex when he drinks and doesn't like it when he treated like everyone else.

lilyoder6
10-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I think Reed has a 'Don't you know who I am?!" complex when he drinks and doesn't like it when he treated like everyone else.

no he does not.. he is far from it... i have seen/and been around him when he is drunk and he is not like that... now farrior in the other hand.. is a dif story.. lol..

and u have to look at the fact that the 1st responders were instigating some shit they shouldn't have... i will say both sides were wrong.. and the.. he squared up 2 fight is total bullshit....

fansince'76
10-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Try being 60 years old, a long ways from a restroom, franticly looking for a tree.

:horror: :chuckle:

SteelMember
10-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99

:laughing:

I see your point.

And if there's no trees, a trashcan will do in a pinch.

As cover, and as a receptacle. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2009, 11:19 AM
If you are on another team...you might get away with a pattern of drunken confrontations. If you are on the Steelers and are able to man-up and admit that you have a problem and will seek help..you might get a pass. If you are on the Steelers and are irreplacable...you might get a pass.

However.... If you are on the Steelers, have a history of drunken confrontations that are "someone elses fault" and think your value is greater then it actually is in reality...???

Well then..."With their 5th round pick in the 2010 draft, the Steelers choose ...Aaron Pettrey, Kicker, out of Ohio State."

Steelboy84
10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP)óPittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says kicker Jeff Reed will play in Sundayís home game against the Minnesota Vikings despite a recent brush with the law.

Reed is charged with simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness for allegedly scuffling with Pittsburgh police outside a bar near Heinz Field in the hours after Sundayís win over the Cleveland Browns.

Police were citing Reedís teammate Matt Spaeth (spayth) for allegedly urinating outside the bar when Reed intervened. Police say Reed took a ďfighting stanceĒ and challenged the officers. Reedís agent denies that.

Reed is expected to receive a court summons in the mail.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jeffreed-intoxication&prov=ap&type=lgns

Steelboy84
10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Go Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

Nadroj 20
10-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I really do not think this will affect his play or anything, but he needs to keep his butt out of trouble it better not happen again or the team may decide to suspend him.

Jmat
10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I listened to Mike Tomlin's press conference when he announced Skippy would play.
I wonder what Santonio thinks about that?
I can't say that I agree with Mike on this issue even after hearing his explanation but he knows a lot more about it than I do.

Steelboy84
10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I really do not think this will affect his play or anything, but he needs to keep his butt out of trouble it better not happen again or the team may decide to suspend him.

We're not the Dallas Cowboys! Someone needs to drill this into his head!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're the classy organization, the one everyone else envies. Let's keep it that way!!!!!!!!!

Steelboy84
10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
C'mon Jeff. Nothing wrong with getting bombed. But stay off the front page.

lol

Nadroj 20
10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
We're not the Dallas Cowboys! Someone needs to drill this into his head!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're the classy organization, the one everyone else envies. Let's keep it that way!!!!!!!!!

Thats what im saying lol :tt04::tt04::tt04:

Steelboy84
10-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Thats what im saying lol :tt04::tt04::tt04:

lol

Fire Haley
10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Whole lotta crap about nothing - Skippy will play

Reed will play in Steelers game Sunday

Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said today that kicker Jeff Reed will play Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings even though he was cited by police last Sunday night on several charges after a confrontation outside a North Side bar.

Last year, Tomlin made starting wide receiver Santonio Holmes inactive for a game against the New York Giants after Holmes was given a citation by police for marijuana possession on the Thursday night before the game.

In describing the differences, Tomlin said the Holmes incident was a possible distraction because it occurred later in the week and he deactivated him to minimize the distraction. He said it was "not punitive". Because Reed's incident happened on Sunday, they have "an opportunity to address it," Tomlin said.

Reed was cited for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkeness after he confronted police outside a North Side bar as they were issuing a citation for disorderly conduct to tight end Matt Spaeth for urinating in a parking lot.

Jmat
10-20-2009, 02:04 PM
A long as Skippy keeps a very low public profile, stops boozin' and doesn't miss another FG this year I'll be fine with him.

As for Spaeth. Trade his worthless ass.

GeneralRobinson
10-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Whole lotta crap about nothing - Skippy will play

Reed will play in Steelers game Sunday

Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said today that kicker Jeff Reed will play Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings even though he was cited by police last Sunday night on several charges after a confrontation outside a North Side bar.

Last year, Tomlin made starting wide receiver Santonio Holmes inactive for a game against the New York Giants after Holmes was given a citation by police for marijuana possession on the Thursday night before the game.

In describing the differences, Tomlin said the Holmes incident was a possible distraction because it occurred later in the week and he deactivated him to minimize the distraction. He said it was "not punitive". Because Reed's incident happened on Sunday, they have "an opportunity to address it," Tomlin said.

Reed was cited for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkeness after he confronted police outside a North Side bar as they were issuing a citation for disorderly conduct to tight end Matt Spaeth for urinating in a parking lot.

In my opinon, Santonio was benched because he admitted that he was wrong, something I admire in that he took responsibility. The only reason Reed is not being benched is because the charges are in dispute. For his and the team's sake, I hope that he is not found guilty of the charge later in the season when Pittsburgh is in the playoffs or battling for a playoff spot and is suspended for a more critical game.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Well Reed surrounded himself with Spaeth. Hardly a thug.

As far as Holmes versus Reed goes. Quite a big difference.
Marijuana is illegal, even in Pittsburgh. No matter what quantity you ingest or hold
Alcohol is not, no matter what quantity you ingest. But being a good boy while ingesting is something you might consider. So instead of letting Spaeth get a ticket for pissing into the wind, he is the headline because he thought he was larger than life. Its called just plain old being stupid. Regardless a suspension or benching is not warranted, but some form of internal discipline probably is. Have all the boys go piss on the floor in one of the restrooms and have him go clean it up.

steeltheone
10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I agree....Challenging any officer of the law should not be tolerated....Should be suspended this week.

steelreserve
10-20-2009, 03:24 PM
In my opinon, Santonio was benched because he admitted that he was wrong, something I admire in that he took responsibility. The only reason Reed is not being benched is because the charges are in dispute. For his and the team's sake, I hope that he is not found guilty of the charge later in the season when Pittsburgh is in the playoffs or battling for a playoff spot and is suspended for a more critical game.

Not to mention that "benching" a kicker would require you to make a roster move in order to create a spot for the temporary kicker.

"OK ... Mundy, Foster, Frazier -- sorry, but one of you is off the team because the kicker got too drunk."

Yeah, THAT would be real likely to produce a positive outcome.

Preacher
10-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Not to mention that "benching" a kicker would require you to make a roster move in order to create a spot for the temporary kicker.

"OK ... Mundy, Foster, Frazier -- sorry, but one of you is off the team because the kicker got too drunk."

Yeah, THAT would be real likely to produce a positive outcome.

LOL...

How in the world do you bench a guy that usually sits on the bench 57 minutes of the game anyway?

See.. This is why we should have kept John Kuhn. HE could have taken over kick duties for us!

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Yet, no one has mentioned Spaeth (Spayth) peeing in public... Wonder why this hasn't gotten any press?

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Spaeth peeing in public = priceless

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree....Challenging any officer of the law should not be tolerated....Should be suspended this week.

Technically yes and so should Spaeth. However, we need Skippy to kick FG's (even though he missed twice earlier in the season with the game on the line) and we don't have a backup veteran kicker (though we could use Czech) to utilize in most likely the Steelers toughest matchup of the season. Sadly for Jeff, though (and he is one of my fave Steelers) he most likely won't be franchised next season as I had originally thought. :shake02:

P.S. I am merging this thread with the other thread on this topic. Folks - please - anything having to do with this most recent bout of Skippy fubarism - post in the original thread started on this subject. Thanks. :drink:

steelwalls
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I wish punters werent such sucky kickers, with Sepulveda's leg I bet he could from 45+ with ease............. oh well...

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Gotta disagree with you there, HTG. We can't make allowances for how valuable a player is on the field. The short-term advantage against Minnesota is outweighed by the long-term damage to team discipline and image (which is important for attracting new talent).
I'd rather lose every game this season than turn into a haven for problem children.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be disciplined, Slash. I don't condone Troubled Toms being a part of the teams I love and support, but I think at this point - Skippy's discipline is going to be not being offered a contract or franchised at the end of the season. Right now, imho, we need him. It's not like we have a viable replacement for him in such an important game that could help to make or break us this season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Yet, no one has mentioned Spaeth (Spayth) peeing in public... Wonder why this hasn't gotten any press?

Probably because 80% of the men in the country have done this before. Probably more common than jaywalking.

tony hipchest
10-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Probably because 80% of the men in the country have done this before. Probably more common than jaywalking.and i have easilly made up for the 20% who havent. :monkey:

Texasteel
10-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Probably because 80% of the men in the country have done this before. Probably more common than jaywalking.

I have an idea that 80% is a little on the light side. This is including those in law enforcement.

The_WARDen
10-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Why is this news? Athletes drink? I'm shocked...

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2009, 10:10 AM
The more reading I do on this the more I think Jeff may not even have been drinking.

:noidea:
Based on what? His attorney denied that his client was aggressive but NOONE has denied that he was drinking.

Jeff is driving by with his parents and sees this and stops to say hey wait a minute or hey can I help take him home. The cops see a known bad drunk offender and over react, ba da bing.

Out of all the players in this drama..only ONE has a history of overreacting. That is a fact...the rest of your story is just theory.

If jeff was drunk and wanting to fight cops, one cop would not have taken him down.

1) You do realize we are talking about Jeff Reed?...the kicker?
2) The story said it was two cops
3) As a cop, I liked them sober or REALLY drunk..."kinda" drunks are the worst to deal with. Drunk enough to think they are invinsible but sober enough to fight with some coordination.

IDK, but I'll give the benefit of doubt for now. If he didn't have a past history of this behavior, it probably would be a deal

He does have a history, and the benefit of a doubt should be given to those who do not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Why is this news? Athletes drink? I'm shocked...

Probably because he chose to fight the cops. :chuckle:

Instead, Mr. Reed put up his fists and got "into a fighter's stance," according to a police affidavit.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09293/1006810-66.stm#ixzz0Ub2CQyKi

Drunk or not. Most sane people choose to not bring fists to a gunfight, taser-fight, or anything that sober cops want to fight with.

steeltheone
10-21-2009, 02:18 PM
The more reading I do on this the more I think Jeff may not even have been drinking.

Let me get this straight. Matt is peeing along side an SUV, so at least he is trying to cover(like we all do when we are stuck without easy acces to a potty) and the cops are writing him up. Jeff is driving by with his parents and sees this and stops to say hey wait a minute or hey can I help take him home. The cops see a known bad drunk offender and over react, ba da bing.

If jeff was drunk and wanting to fight cops, one cop would not have taken him down.

IDK, but I'll give the benefit of doubt for now. If he didn't have a past history of this behavior, it probably would be a deal.

Wow...Were you drinking?

SteelCityMom
10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Probably because he chose to fight the cops. :chuckle:

Instead, Mr. Reed put up his fists and got "into a fighter's stance," according to a police affidavit.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09293/1006810-66.stm#ixzz0Ub2CQyKi

Drunk or not. Most sane people choose to not bring fists to a gunfight, taser-fight, or anything that sober cops want to fight with.

I'm not saying the cops are lying, but I just can't picture this in my head. Who does this? I don't know, I just giggle everytime I think of him "putting his fists up" lol.

Put 'em up, put 'em up!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2007/01/lion_costume.jpg

Edit...I just laughed some more picturing Spaeth as Dorothy back there by the tree, peeing (obviously). I think I may just be easily amused today lol.

kirklandrules
10-21-2009, 02:51 PM
After reading some of these posts that think "Skippy" got the shaft, please let me know if I have this straight:

The guy gets bombed and attacks a paper towel dispenser, then insults the Sheetz staff like he was the Super Bowl MVP. Then he blows off the Steelers contract offer because he's obviously worth much more than what they think he is. Then he gets man-handled by the cops because he believes Spaeth has a right to piss all over the North Shore. Then he's released on the spot to his daddy's care (the only thing missing here is his mommy getting out of the back of the SUV with a little blanky and a bottle of milk and saying "Skippy, you stop being a naughty boy").

I'll be the first to admit that when he kicks a 48 yarder in the mud and blowing snow of the open end of Heinz in December ... I cheer his athleticism. But let's not confuse talent with personality. And his personality is that of a little d-bag with a small johnson.

So did I get this right?

Where's Jack Lambert when we need him to fly to the rescue and duct tape this little weasel to his locker and beat him with a wet towel.

GeneralRobinson
10-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Jeff Reed apologizes

By SteelCityInsider.com | Posted Oct 21, 2009

Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was charged Sunday night by Pittsburgh police with simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, and public intoxication. Here's what he had to say to Pittsburgh reporters Wednesday before practice:

Q: Your agent said youíre going to fight it. Are you?

A: Iím not going to answer any questions about it. I told my agent to keep his mouth shut because he doesnít know whatís going on. So if you guys ask him, I told him to tell you the same thing.

Q: Are you satisfied with the way Mike Tomlin and the organization handled this?

A: Very satisfied. I was kind of shocked to hear people ask if I was going to play or not. Stuff like this you just got to deal with. It makes you tougher. And Iím a captain of this team. It may not sound like it when something like this comes up but I like to represent this team as well as I can. You know that through all the charity stuff I do.

Q: Will this ever be a distraction for you?

A: I apologize for being a distraction to this team. For me, now I can move on. There are other players that have done this and played well, so itís not an excuse. My job is to make points, kick field goals, and kick off for this team, and I will always do my best.

Q: Are you worried about a suspension from the league?

A: Not at all. Once all the investigation is done, whatever happens happens, but as for right now itís going to be a long process.

Q: Is it disappointing that something like this comes up at this point in the season?

A: Very disappointing. You know, after the Chicago game I was down. Iím coming around. The teamís doing great now and Iím contributing like I should. Thatís part of it. Itís disappointing but weíll move forward.

Q: What has been the response by your teammates?

A: All of them told me to keep my head up, donít worry about it, we need you. Stuff like that keeps me going.

Q: What do you say to the fans?

A: To the fans, I went to the hockey game last night and everybody was real complimentary and real nice to me. They know that I love this community, I love Steeler Nation, so I if I need to apologize to them, I do apologize to them and I will never let this city down.

Q: What investigation are you talking about?

A: Iím not going to answer that.

Q: Is the best way to get past this by putting yourself in the Baltimore kickerís shoes and make a kick?

A: The best way to get past this is to go to work today and move on. Iím not going look and compare myself to Ė Iíve been in his shoes before. If it wasnít Baltimore, man, Iíd really feel for him. We need guys in our conference to not do as great, but for him, Iíve been in his shoes before Ė obviously this year Ė and I know how that feels. Iím not looking to hit a game-winner, but if itís necessary, yes.

Q: This game could come down to your leg, couldnít it?

A: Yeah. And I actually approach every game like that. We always have a bulls-eye on our backs, or chests. But itís one of those situations where you can call it a distraction all you want. I apologize to the community and to this team and to this organization because thatís very important to me and my family. Itís been embarrassing to be in the news like that, but at the same time my job is to kick field goals and extra points and kick off for this team, and I will.

Q: Is it bad timing for this to happen when youíll soon be looking for another contract?

A: Not at all. You canít think like that. Somebody asked me after Chicago that, since itís a contract year, does (missing two kicks) affect how much money youíre going to make. I mean, come on, give me a break.

http://pit.scout.com/2/911566.html

Interesting interview. I'm just speculating here, but I translate the comments about his agent and "whatever happens happens" to mean that he is resigned to the fact that sanctions against him are a real possibility.

Jmat
10-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Everyone was buying beers for Skippy at the Pens game.

TackleMeBen
10-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Everyone was buying beers for Skippy at the Pens game.
so how many towel dispensers is mario going to have to replace now :chuckle:

AllD
10-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Does that mean if he gets suspended that Harrison is going to be the emergency kicker?