PDA

View Full Version : The Best DT in the 2010 Draft

Steeldude
10-19-2009, 04:59 AM
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010nsuh.php

Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh

College: Nebraska
Height/Weight: 6-4, 295 - 305

Suh is a four-year player and three-year starter. He was one of the top high school players in 2005 and ended up going to Nebraska from Oregon because he had family in the state. Suh was Nebraska's leading tackler in 2008 -- the first defensive lineman to lead the team in tackles in 35 years. He also holds the record for interceptions and interceptions returned for touchdowns by a defensive tackle. Suh has outstanding quickness and strength for the position, is a very good athlete and will be a top 10 pick.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57327&draftyear=2010&genpos=DT

2008: 13 GP; 13 GS; Rec: 1-2-2-1; 39 Sol-76 TT, 16 TFL, 7.5 SK, 2 INT, 3 PBU, 6 QBH, 1 FF, 2 BLK; Second team All-Big 12. In 2008. First Nebraska defensive lineman to lead the team in tackles since 1973. His 19 tackles for loss were the eighth-best total in school history. His play helped Nebraska finish second in the Big 12 in total defense at 349.8 yards per game, an improvement of 126 yards per game from the 2007 campaign. Intercepted a pair of passes and returned both of them for touchdowns, including a dramatic game-clinching score in the regular-season finale against Colorado. He had a career game against Kansas (12 tackles, 4 TFL, 2.5 sacks) that earned him Big 12 Defensive Player-of-the-Week honors. Became a fixture as a fullback in short-yardage situations late in the season, and against the Jayhawks he showed his athletic ability when he caught a two-yard touchdown pass. Showed no ill effects from knee surgery that kept him out of spring practice. His sack and tackle for loss numbers led the team. His 5.8 tackles per game led all Big 12 defensive linemen. 2007: 12 GP; 11 GS; 22 Sol-34 TT, 6 TFL, 1 SK, 2 PBU, 4 QBH, 1 BLK; Had knee surgery in early March will sideline him for the spring season. Played a key role in NUís 20-17 win at Wake Forest, recording two tackles for loss - one forced Wake to kick a field goal and the other helping result in a game-saving interception in the fourth quarter. 2006: 14 GP; 0 GS; 12 Sol-19 TT, 8 TFL, 3.5 SK, 1 INT, 2 QBH, 1 FF; Among the team leaders in both tackles for loss and sacks. He also saw time on special teams as a blocker on the place-kicking unit. 2005: 2 GP; 0 GS; 0 Sol-1 TT; Suh was one of a school-record 13 true freshmen to see action in 2005. He played in the first two games and had an assisted tackle against Wake Forest before missing the remainder of the season after undergoing knee surgery to fix torn meniscus suffered his senior year in high school playing basketball. Personal: Suhís mother, Bernadette, is from Jamaica, while his father, Michael, hails from Cameroon. In the Ngema tribe in Cameroon, Ndamukong means "House of Spears."

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2010-nfl-draft/ndamukong-suh.html

Ndamukong Suh has become the best player in all of college football. The man can do things that no other can. At times, he looks like Superman swatting flies. Donít pencil him in as the #1 overall pick; put it in permanent marker and laminate it. If the NFL team that has the first pick in the 2010 NFL Draft passes up on Suh, it's just because they think their future franchise quarterback is looking them in the face.

The man is simply incredible. Not a mammoth man like a Terrance Cody, Suh packs a lot of power and natural strength into his 6í 4Ē 305 pound frame and, frankly, college lineman are just no match for the force that is Ndamukong Suh. Possessing a fantastic burst and quickness of the snap, Suh is in your backfield before youíve gotten up in the morning. He regularly beats lineman to the corner on traps and pulls, nullifying the play before itís really even started.

And just to mix things up, he simply moves you where he wants to go and tosses you aside with sheer beastly strength. His bull rush is better than that of many NFL linemen.

An elite athlete, Suh has multiple pass rush moves and can spin either way to get free. His hand punch is like a sledgehammer on concrete, keeping blockers away from his body and allowing him to easily disengage to make tackles. His 5.5 TFL and 3 sacks donít tell the whole story but Suh opens things up for the rest of the Husker defence, regularly drawing double-teams and pushing the action towards fellow defenders. He is a presence that needs to be accounted for on every snap.

He is generally quite instinctive and reads plays quickly. He makes linebacker type plays in the box, on the edges and at the sidelines and will hustle down the line and chase the ball all over. Even when fooled, he has the quickness to get back into the action. His athletic ability also lends him to shifting over at times to the edge and would make a prototype 3-4 end as well.

There is very little to nitpick about Suh. His technique doesnít always match his physical gifts but that can be corrected with a little bit more attention to detail. Injuries derailed the start of his college career, a torn meniscus suffered in high school forced him to take a medical redshirt after two games in 2005 and knee surgery in spring of 2007 hampered him that year. He will wear down at times but that could be due to his all-out effort and hustle more than poor conditioning.

Suh played only two games as a freshman but was a key backup during the 2006 season, playing in 14 games and totaling 19 tackles, 8 TFL and 3.5 sacks. The knee surgery hampered him as a sophomore in 2007 as he totaled only 34 tackles, 6 TFL and 1 sack. The light turned on for Suh in 2008 as the DT led the Huskers in tackles with 76, the first Nebraska lineman to do so since 1973, notched 19 TFL and posted 7.5 sacks. Displaying the elite athleticism that has scouts (and people like me) drooling, Suh snared two INT and returned both for TD, one of which clinched a dramatic victory over Colorado in season-finale. His 5.4 tackles/game led the Big 12 lineman by nearly a tackle and a half. Suh also gets used on short yardage plays and caught a 2-yard TD against Kansas.

Texasteel
10-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Not that it means that much, but I have seen him play twice so far this year, and I agree. He is the best player in the game. Can't see him going later than 2.

sharkweek
10-19-2009, 07:00 AM
hypothetically speaking, where would he fit on our DL?

JHSilverback
10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Personally I'd rather get Terrence Cody from Alabama...dude def has the size and talent to replace Big Snack...heres his Bio 6-5 and 365 pounds....one word "beast"

MasterOfPuppets
10-19-2009, 11:06 PM
keisel and smith aren't gonna play forever...:noidea:

Texasteel
10-20-2009, 04:54 AM

He doesn't have the size we like at NT ( I believe he is just over 300 lb.), thats not saying he couldn't do it, but I think would fit best a DE.

Steeldude
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM

anywhere, but most likely on the end.

Steeldude
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Personally I'd rather get Terrence Cody from Alabama...dude def has the size and talent to replace Big Snack...heres his Bio 6-5 and 365 pounds....one word "beast"

one word - FAT -

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2009, 11:38 AM
one word - FAT -

I would take Jamaal Wiliams as a NT in a heartbeat and he is 6′3″, 350 pounds....our own Casey Hampton is 6'1" and 325.

Terrance Cody at 6'5" 365 lbs is hardly vaulted into the "fat" category in comparison.

MasterOfPuppets
10-20-2009, 01:23 PM
I would take Jamaal Wiliams as a NT in a heartbeat and he is 6′3″, 350 pounds....our own Casey Hampton is 6'1" and 325.

Terrance Cody at 6'5" 365 lbs is hardly vaulted into the "fat" category in comparison.ummmm...actually they're all fat....:noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2009, 02:02 PM
ummmm...actually they're all fat....:noidea:

I think we can agree that there is a "fat" category that means "out of shape"....and a "fat" category that means "Beast"

Granted...the line is sometimes very grey...especially with Casey.:chuckle:

SteelMember
10-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Ndamukong Suh is a great player...that we'll never see in a Steelers uniform.

Projected top 5, and a strong candidate to possibly go #1.

One thing that may be overlooked, is this behemoth gets his hands up. He already has 8 passes defended, with 7 broken up and has 1 pick. He had 2 picks last year.
To put that into perspective, on a list of the top 100 players in the passes defended category, he is ranked tied for #12 on the list dominated by DB's. He is also only one of two DL on that list. The other is Andre Watson/Southern Miss. Tied for 86th.

AMAZING!

I too would settle for the "fat man" Cody. In fact, forget settle, I would be ecstatic, but this year it will probably unfold that we finally get our center of the future. :hunch:

devilsdancefloor
10-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Tonight i got to watch eric norwood for the first time! He is a beast and would be nice to get, but i doubt he will make it to our pick:noidea:

Steeldude
10-26-2009, 08:56 AM
my post wasn't about the steelers being able to get him. i was just making conversation........but perhaps the steelers can get Ndamukong Suh if they give a lot.

anyone know how many picks the steelers will receive or at least projected to receive in 2010?

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-26-2009, 10:09 AM
my post wasn't about the steelers being able to get him. i was just making conversation........but perhaps the steelers can get Ndamukong Suh if they give a lot.

anyone know how many picks the steelers will receive or at least projected to receive in 2010?

Of course that wont be decided until the owners meeting, but most projections I have seen give us an additional #3 and a #5.

Texasteel
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Of course that wont be decided until the owners meeting, but most projections I have seen give us an additional #3 and a #5.

I believe a 3rd and a 5th would be fair as well. This means the Pantywaists will get an extra 2nd and 3rd for our losses. Thank you Mr. Goodell.

SteelMember
10-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm guessing we would get 2 because of the losses of BMac and Foote, but wouldn't we lose one for signing Ratliff? or McDonald?

And how do they figure the round?
I know we got next to nothing for Faneca because he was a 10 year vet.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-27-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm guessing we would get 2 because of the losses of BMac and Foote, but wouldn't we lose one for signing Ratliff? or McDonald?

And how do they figure the round?
I know we got next to nothing for Faneca because he was a 10 year vet.

I think alot of that has to do with how much those that you signed contribute. I wont even try and act like it can be completely figured out here....being that our front office wasnt aware of (or had forgot about) the "Faneca" rule.

mulldog24
10-30-2009, 09:35 AM

With Suh's strength and all out effort I think he could play anywhere on our defensive front. We rotate alot of guys in including Hoke who is only 305 lbs and it seems that he is making just as many plays as snacks these days. I believe I read about Tomlin saying about "ZIGGY" that he could play NT and DE and he is 300 lbs so if that is true then I think Suh could do that as well.:thumbsup:

gameface75
10-30-2009, 09:41 AM
It would be great to have a big young DT of that status join the Steelers Nasty D.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I have been intriqued by DT Jared Odrick from Penn State. He would play DE for us at 6'4 298 lbs. Not sure if Tomlin wouls look past his Disorderly Conduct arrest earlier this year, but he seems to be a player.

SteelMember
11-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I have been intriqued by DT Jared Odrick from Penn State. He would play DE for us at 6'4 298 lbs. Not sure if Tomlin wouls look past his Disorderly Conduct arrest earlier this year, but he seems to be a player.

He's a very good player. I can't recall a game in which he didn't have his name mentioned at least once. Good motor, and strong.

I don't think disorderly conduct would be a big issue, but it would be interesting to see if he could attack the gaps with the same success at DE.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
He's a very good player. I can't recall a game in which he didn't have his name mentioned at least once. Good motor, and strong.

I don't think disorderly conduct would be a big issue, but it would be interesting to see if he could attack the gaps with the same success at DE.

Here is an analysis that "seems" to indicate that Odrick would be a good 3-4 DE...a comparison is made to Fili Miola from last years class. (who a lot of draftniks thought would be drafted by a 3-4 defense as a DE)

Penn State DT Jared Odrick Analysis:

Pass rush: His height, agility and length make him a nice pass rush prospect. Has some shiftiness and is able to penetrate with an inside-out move when one-on-one. Also bowls over smaller centers with his bull rush. Uses his hands to discard linemen once he gets to their shoulder. Affects passing lanes with his long arms and big hands when keeping his eye in the backfield. Can accelerate to the quarterback after initial contact but does not have elite quickness to come back and make the sack or chase down plays in the backfield.

Run defense: Usually holds his ground inside or pushes back, even against double-teams. Disengages from blocks to grab backs on their way through or help on tackles four or five yards downfield. Not quick enough laterally to prevent linemen from getting an angle to keep him out of the hole. Must work on protecting his knees from cut blocks.

Explosion: Fair quickness but better pop off the snap; able to knock his man back a step or two into the pocket. Needs to improve the consistency his get-off to be a pass rush factor at the next level.

Strength: Stacks his man and rips off in either direction to fill a hole. Pushes the pocket as a pass rusher, even when doubled. Plays tall but still controls the line on almost every snap when straight-up. Needs to play with better leverage, keep his feet and disengage better when moving laterally.

Tackling: Solid wrap tackler inside because of his strength and length at the point. Lacks the closing speed, change of direction ability and hustle to regularly rein in elusive ball carriers or make plays from behind.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117620

SteelMember
11-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Some good info LLT.

"Elite speed"?

ok, probably not, but the guy has better than average speed and persues plays pretty well. More importantly, is that the guy dosen't give up after an initial move like some others. That is what I meant by motor. He stays in the play until the whistle. He'll get knocked around, but he'll pick himself up and keep coming.

All that being said, his first moves are where he has his most success. Which I think is reflected in this evaluation.

It dosen't take long to find him in a crowd. He'll find you. :chuckle:

SteelersTilIDie
11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Suh would be a DE and Cody would be good but they'll both probably be gone by the time we get up

Steely McSmash
11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
What do you guys think about Brian Price from UCLA as a NT prospect? I think he's got the right overall shape and he's been having a productive season.

6-2 300lbs

He seems to be ranked anywhere from a 1 -3 rounder but his stock will be climbing in my opinion. From what i've read he's been disruptive, has some good TFL stats and is drawing double and triple teams. He's on a lot of nomination lists for awards as well. Lombardi trophy for one.

SteelMember
11-20-2009, 02:37 PM
He is a Junior, and from the sounds of it, he may not come out early.

“I want to finish school and have a degree, something to rely on to make my mom proud,” he said. “Having her son graduate from college is real big.”

last April, he said he’d return for his senior year, no matter how this season goes. “Right now, I’m just focusing on school and football, and focusing on getting UCLA back to black-tie events, as coach Neuheisel would say,” Price said.

But there's always next year... you know what I mean.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I am still praying that we can get Cody...if not, I am not real excited about any NT's outside of Dan Williams.

Here is a list of top NT's, with some of my thoughts and predictions

1. Terrence Cody, Alabama- 6’ 5 365 lbs....Stud...Will be an NFL beast. Unless he does poorly in senior bowl games or at the combine, he will be gone in the first half of the 1st round of the draft. Trade up possibility? He would be worth it.

2. Phil Taylor, Baylor (JR)- 6'4 355 lbs, Big fat tackle...Transferred from Penn state to Baylor. Not as athletic as Cody, If he can handle his weight, he is a Shaun Rogers type of NT...I have seen him ranked from late 1st round to mid 4th round. History of character problems with multiple suspension due to an arrest and with his grades might eliminate him from Steelers consideration, but I still see him going to some team by the end of the 2nd, due to the lack of legitimate 3-4 NT's in the college ranks.

3.Dan Williams, Tennessee-6'2 327 lbs...Started the season as and overlooked prospect . even with two solid years of production in 2007 & 2008. Once a projected 7th round pick, Williams has now rocketed to late 1st-early 2nd consideration. He has been virtually unblockable with 52 total tackels so far...24 solo 28 assists and a sack. This is a guy that should be there for us at the end of the 1st, and though not a "sexy" pick, I would be VERY happy to draft him.

4. Jeff Owens, Georgia Tech- 6'3 306 lbs...Not as impressed with Owens as some, but admittingly I have only seen him in spot duty. He put up respectable numbers in 2007, and then sat out 2008 with an injury. Smart player by all accounts. pegged as late as the 6th round in some draft boards. Round may be based on questions about the shoulder. I think he is probably a 5th rounder unless he shines during workouts.

5. Boo Robinson, Wake Forest- 6'1 295lbs...Started the season near the top of most NT lists...Like Owens he is coming into 2009 off of a shoulder injury and recovery from a surgery. Hasnt made a huge splash on the field in 2009, and only seems to dominate against lesser opponants. Probably a 4th to 6th round pick unless he can prove to scouts that the shoulder is good.

Steely McSmash
11-21-2009, 08:11 PM
He is a Junior, and from the sounds of it, he may not come out early.

But there's always next year... you know what I mean.

Too bad... Maybe he'll have an economics class this year and change is mind!

Aussie_steeler
11-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Good List LLT - it definitely looks like the mid rounds are where we will stand a good chance of getting a NT.
Williams or Powe at the back end of the 2nd might be around the mark at the moment.

I currently have the list at

1. Mt Cody - Bama
2. Williams - Tennessee
3. Jerrell Powe - Ole Miss ( Junior 6'2 340") no chance of drafting as I have been pimping him. Sorry.
4. Taylor - Baylor
5. Robinson - Wake
6. Owens - Georgia
7. Cam Thomas - North Carolina

I caught the Tennessee vs Ole Miss game last week and I must say that IMO Williams and Powe had very similar games.

From that list I am sure we could find one NT come draft time.

Texasteel
11-22-2009, 04:38 AM
I am one that likeS Owens, but then I also like Cody, Williams, and Powe. I have also started looking at Cam Thomas.

If we can land any one of these I think I will be happy. Of course you know that someone is going to jump out of no where to grab a lot of interest, it seems to happen every years.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Cam Thomas, North Carolina: 6'3 328 lbs...Not matching the numbers he put up last year..stock dropping a bit. Seems to play better against good teams. One of those players that would be well worth taking a gamble on in the 6th-7th rounds. Good coaching and and a fire lit under his ass could make him a late round steal. Less of a gamble then those ranked above him that have character issues.

Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss: 6'2 340 lbs...IF he declares he is a possible 2nd-3rd round prospect due to being a junior with only one solid year of college production. He needs to prove that he is a legit NFL prospect, and that wont be easy without the benefit of senior bowls to prove his worth. Dropped from 385 to 340 lbs and it showed in his increased production. He struggled with remaining elgible, but in my opinion, the ability and desire to shed the weight and to work at his studies shows a player with some determination. Appears to be a humble hard worker on the field, much in the mold of "Ziggy" Hood. A very solid player. Legitimate combine numbers could put him near the first round.

Aussie_steeler
11-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Cam Thomas, North Carolina: 6'3 328 lbs...Not matching the numbers he put up last year..stock dropping a bit. Seems to play better against good teams. One of those players that would be well worth taking a gamble on in the 6th-7th rounds. Good coaching and and a fire lit under his ass could make him a late round steal. Less of a gamble then those ranked above him that have character issues.

Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss: 6'2 340 lbs...IF he declares he is a possible 2nd-3rd round prospect due to being a junior with only one solid year of college production. He needs to prove that he is a legit NFL prospect, and that wont be easy without the benefit of senior bowls to prove his worth. Dropped from 385 to 340 lbs and it showed in his increased production. He struggled with remaining elgible, but in my opinion, the ability and desire to shed the weight and to work at his studies shows a player with some determination. Appears to be a humble hard worker on the field, much in the mold of "Ziggy" Hood. A very solid player. Legitimate combine numbers could put him near the first round.

I think the assessments are both spot on LLT. Unless we get our guy in the first 2 rounds I can see someone taking late. Much in the mould of Chris Hoke ( a UDFA i think) someone who can learn the position the steelers way.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I think the assessments are both spot on LLT. Unless we get our guy in the first 2 rounds I can see someone taking late. Much in the mould of Chris Hoke ( a UDFA i think) someone who can learn the position the steelers way.

I am positive that we will take a DT in this draft...and think that we might take a DE also. This year has shown us that even with Harris and Hood on the roster, we are painfully thin at the position. Our existing DE's are very capable but their bodies can only take so much. We have to bring in youth or find a younger FA to bolster the edges.

Texasteel
11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I am positive that we will take a DT in this draft...and think that we might take a DE also. This year has shown us that even with Harris and Hood on the roster, we are painfully thin at the position. Our existing DE's are very capable but their bodies can only take so much. We have to bring in youth or find a younger FA to bolster the edges.

I think you may be right. I am starting to adjust my drafting opinion accordingly.

I think the last couple games may have also shown us that the OL is not as far along as we thought.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I think you may be right. I am starting to adjust my drafting opinion accordingly.

I think the last couple games may have also shown us that the OL is not as far along as we thought.

This is going to be a great year for those teams drafting around the #15 slot in each round.

Texasteel
11-23-2009, 12:27 PM
This is going to be a great year for those teams drafting around the #15 slot in each round.

And this is one reason I might like to move out of the 1st round and try to pick up a couple of those picks.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-23-2009, 12:42 PM
And this is one reason I might like to move out of the 1st round and try to pick up a couple of those picks.

:thumbsup:

Same scenerio we talked about earlier in the season, but with a few changes due to rise/fall of specific players.

I might have to revisit that draft and update it.

19ward86
11-26-2009, 04:06 PM
he is gonna be gone in the top 5 depending on his workout so i wouldnt worry bout him....

MasterOfPuppets
11-26-2009, 05:20 PM
well they take one almost every year. its just a question of what round. up until hood, its traditionally been a late pick (4-7)...the equivalent of just throwing shit at a wall to see if anything sticks. practice squad fodder. if they're seriously hunting for a future player, ala hood, then someone, (kirshkie, eason), gets the boot. the question is, do they feel comfortable enough with hoods progress should he have to come in and replace keisel or smith should they go down with an injury. if they wanna keep harris on the roster in addition to both kirshke and eason, they are gonna have to adjust thier roster.so to add another rookie, and keep harris, both kirshke and eason would probably have to go. i think if they're happy with harris, they let kirshke go, take another late flyer on a DE for the practice squad , get hood and harris another year of experience, then maybe look for someone to take eason roster spot. :noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-27-2009, 04:05 AM
well they take one almost every year. its just a question of what round. up until hood, its traditionally been a late pick (4-7)...the equivalent of just throwing shit at a wall to see if anything sticks. practice squad fodder. if they're seriously hunting for a future player, ala hood, then someone, (kirshkie, eason), gets the boot. the question is, do they feel comfortable enough with hoods progress should he have to come in and replace keisel or smith should they go down with an injury. if they wanna keep harris on the roster in addition to both kirshke and eason, they are gonna have to adjust thier roster.so to add another rookie, and keep harris, both kirshke and eason would probably have to go. i think if they're happy with harris, they let kirshke go, take another late flyer on a DE for the practice squad , get hood and harris another year of experience, then maybe look for someone to take eason roster spot. :noidea:

I agree with that.

I can see us taking a player like Alex Carrington with either our 2nd third rounder...or with our 4th round pick.

MasterOfPuppets
11-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree with that.

I can see us taking a player like Alex Carrington with either our 2nd third rounder...or with our 4th round pick.
well it seems 3rd rounders always make the team by default. i think kirshke goes and harris stays after this year. but if they use a 3rd on a DE , and if he gets the default status, then eason or harris goes. the fact that they went back after harris instead of a guy with some experience tells me they really like him . i just don't see them going with a rookie and 2 players with one year under thier belt as the only backups. i also don't see them using a 3rd or 4th on a guy with the intentions of putting him on the PS. .. :noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-28-2009, 03:58 AM
well it seems 3rd rounders always make the team by default. i think kirshke goes and harris stays after this year. but if they use a 3rd on a DE , and if he gets the default status, then eason or harris goes. the fact that they went back after harris instead of a guy with some experience tells me they really like him . i just don't see them going with a rookie and 2 players with one year under thier belt as the only backups. i also don't see them using a 3rd or 4th on a guy with the intentions of putting him on the PS. .. :noidea:

You may be correct. I they believe that Hood and Harris are the future, we may be able to hold off a year or two to add more depth through the draft. If true, we might want to take a good strong look at who is going to be a FA DE this next year. Probably more of a wave-type player than a starter.

Reggie Hayward from the Jacksonville Jaguars, will be 31 next year, and is coming off an injury. At 6'5 280 he might be the type of player that we could sign and slip into the rotation...especially if we free up some money by not resigning some our FA's

MasterOfPuppets
11-28-2009, 03:51 PM
You may be correct. I they believe that Hood and Harris are the future, we may be able to hold off a year or two to add more depth through the draft. If true, we might want to take a good strong look at who is going to be a FA DE this next year. Probably more of a wave-type player than a starter.

Reggie Hayward from the Jacksonville Jaguars, will be 31 next year, and is coming off an injury. At 6'5 280 he might be the type of player that we could sign and slip into the rotation...especially if we free up some money by not resigning some our FA's
thats what i'm, sayin ....they should keep eason around till they're comfortable with viewing hood and harris as potential starters in case smith or keisel go down. no need to look elsewhere for a backup just give eason another 2 year deal.

Aussie_steeler
11-28-2009, 08:22 PM
thats what i'm, sayin ....they should keep eason around till they're comfortable with viewing hood and harris as potential starters in case smith or keisel go down. no need to look elsewhere for a backup just give eason another 2 year deal.

I too would be surprised if a DE was taken early. It would only eventuate if an extremely high rated player fell in the first 2 rounds and it truly became a BPA pick.

NT, FS and LB have to be a much bigger priority given the depth issues that exist.

Hood, Harris, Smith, Keisel and Eason make for a pretty strong unit next year leading me to agree with you guys.

I think this draft might be like Tomlins first draft, where he has very strong views on what ( then who....Timmons) he wanted. I think he may want to trade up, I would lean towards trade down.

At this stage I would love to find a way to have multiple picks in rounds 2 and 3. Get a bucket load of young talent that could take time to develop, play backup up roles and possibly step in for an emergency.

Steely McSmash
11-29-2009, 10:51 AM
IMO NT is a much bigger priority than DE and much harder to find. It seems like there are a lot of guys this year who look like good DE prospects so I could see the team picking one up late to compete with Harris for the 5th roster spot at DE with Eason or Kirschke hitting the road.

Sunny Harris hasn't been active for a game yet so he can't be doing ridiculously well.

Also, they dropped McLendon from the PS in the process of adding Palko to the roster. Haven't filled that 8th spot yet. Maybe bring back McLendon, Woods or shopping for somebody else?

SteelMember
12-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Here is an analysis that "seems" to indicate that Odrick would be a good 3-4 DE...a comparison is made to Fili Miola from last years class. (who a lot of draftniks thought would be drafted by a 3-4 defense as a DE)

Odrick Selected AFCA All-American (http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120309aaa.html)
Standout Defensive Tackle Is Penn State's 94th First Team All-America Selection

The standout was selected to the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) All-America Team, the first All-America squad to be announced for the 2009 campaign. The AFCA, which chooses one team, has selected an All-America team annually since 1945.

The 2009 Big Ten Defensive Player and Defensive Lineman of the Year, Odrick is the 80th Penn State football student-athlete to earn first team All-America recognition, a total of 94 times, dating back to W.T. (Mother) Dunn's selection to the Walter Camp All-America squad in 1906.

Odrick is the Nittany Lions' 77th first team All-American under Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno. Penn State has had at least one All-American in 39 of his 44 years as head coach, with eight first team All-America selections in the past five seasons.

Odrick is Penn State's sixth defensive lineman to earn first team All-America honors in the past 10 years, joining Courtney Brown, Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy, Tamba Hali and Aaron Maybin.

Draft stock going up??

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by SteelMember

Odrick Selected AFCA All-American

Standout Defensive Tackle Is Penn State's 94th First Team All-America Selection

The standout was selected to the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) All-America Team, the first All-America squad to be announced for the 2009 campaign. The AFCA, which chooses one team, has selected an All-America team annually since 1945.

The 2009 Big Ten Defensive Player and Defensive Lineman of the Year, Odrick is the 80th Penn State football student-athlete to earn first team All-America recognition, a total of 94 times, dating back to W.T. (Mother) Dunn's selection to the Walter Camp All-America squad in 1906.

Odrick is the Nittany Lions' 77th first team All-American under Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno. Penn State has had at least one All-American in 39 of his 44 years as head coach, with eight first team All-America selections in the past five seasons.

Odrick is Penn State's sixth defensive lineman to earn first team All-America honors in the past 10 years, joining Courtney Brown, Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy, Tamba Hali and Aaron Maybin.

Draft stock going up??

Oh yeah!!

Middle 1st to early 2nd round pick.

Steeldude
12-10-2009, 11:23 AM
i'd rather sell the farm and get Ndamukong Suh.

just for fun, if you were in charge what would you give to get Ndamukong Suh?

i would give first 3 picks for Ndamukong Suh, but i doubt the team with the first pick would take it. from the rumblings i have heard the steelers might get an extra 3rd round pick.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
i'd rather sell the farm and get Ndamukong Suh.

just for fun, if you were in charge what would you give to get Ndamukong Suh?

i would give first 3 picks for Ndamukong Suh, but i doubt the team with the first pick would take it. from the rumblings i have heard the steelers might get an extra 3rd round pick.

Depending on who picks first...Suh could concievably be the first overall pick. That pick is worth 3000 points and if we pick at around 20 (worst case scenario) He would cost us our entire draft.....and picks from next year

Our 1st pick (850 points)...
our 2nd (350 points)...
our 3rd (170 points)...
another 3rd at the end of the round (116 points)....
our 4th (62 points)..................etc.

Suh is a beast but a 6'4 302 lbs, he is a tweener and might be a DE for us. If that is the case I would keep the #20 pick at take Odrick...if we want him as a NT...I would still stay at #20 and pickup Cody or Williams.

Steely McSmash
01-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Too bad... Maybe he'll have an economics class this year and change is mind!

looks like Brian Price did change his mind and intends to declare!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-football-fyi30-2009dec30,0,3156169.story

Walter Football describes him as a 4-3 under tackle only but I'n not sure I buy that. He only weighs 300 lb but he's very short for the weight. He might be more of a second round look.