PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger's status cut in stone

mesaSteeler
10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Roethlisberger's status cut in stone
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/10-19-Steelers-Browns-column
This article has been read 198 times.

PITTSBURGH - For much of the past decade, the Mt. Rushmore for quarterbacks included the faces of Brett Favre, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

They were, and probably still are, considered the holy trinity of quarterbacking in the new millennium.

But if Ben Roethlisberger's second Super Bowl victory last February wasn't cause for the stone masons to start carving a new face on the mountainside, his play thus far this season certainly has.

Roethlisberger put together another ridiculous performance Sunday in the Steelers' 27-14 victory over Cleveland at Heinz Field, completing 23 of 35 passes for 417 yards and two touchdowns.
"He's really good. He's in total control of the offense," said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. "It's fun to watch at times."

At other times, you can only watch in awe as another opponent is picked apart by an offense that is supposed to thrive on the running game alone.

The Steelers had a rushing attack against the Browns, gaining a season-high 140 yards on the ground, but it was on the right arm of Roethlisberger - as has been the case all season - on which this game was won.

"I think our quarterback is a pretty special player and we like it when the ball is in his hands," said tight end Heath Miller.

With a 72.5 completion percentage, and 1,887 yards passing through six games, Roethlisberger is on pace to shatter pretty much every single-season team passing record except touchdown passes. And those, too, are likely to start coming more often if the Steelers continue to throw the ball at their current pace.

Right now, the only thing stopping the Steelers are turnovers.

With four more - one interception, three fumbles - the Steelers have committed 12 turnovers in six games. That's way too many and something this team must rectify.

"I was disappointed that we got some short fields and we fumbled the ball away and dropped two touchdown passes right before the half," said Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "We've still got a lot of work to do. The points didn't match the performance. When we put it all together, we can be pretty doggone good."

They can indeed.

No longer can opponents load up to stuff the run and stop the Steelers.

Nor can they simply double team wide receiver Hines Ward and shut down Pittsburgh's passing game.

At their current pace, the Steelers will have three 1,000-yard receivers in Ward, Santonio Holmes and Miller. This from a team that often struggled to have only one 1,000-yard receiver.

And running back Rashard Mendenhall, despite getting only a handful of carries in Pittsburgh's first three games, is on pace for almost 1,000 rushing yards. He will likely get 1,000, if he stays healthy.

But everything the Steelers do comes back to Roethlisberger, the trigger man for this offense.

"This is the best I've seen him play," said Miller. "I've seen him play pretty darn good sometimes. I just think that the more you do something, the more comfortable you are with it and Ben has full command of this offense. ... He just keeps getting better and better."

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

Steelboy84
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
"But if Ben Roethlisberger's second Super Bowl victory last February wasn't cause for the stone masons to start carving a new face on the mountainside, his play thus far this season certainly has."

Start the cutting boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

WindyCitySteelerFan
10-19-2009, 06:48 PM
No doubt. The "cutting" as you said is already being etched, or at least its being drawn.

Personally, I can't imagine the team without Ben. I wouldn't trade him for any single other QB in the league.

I'm totally sold, and wacko-for-Ben-O

Psyychoward86
10-19-2009, 06:54 PM
No doubt. The "cutting" as you said is already being etched, or at least its being drawn.

Personally, I can't imagine the team without Ben. I wouldn't trade him for any single other QB in the league.

I'm totally sold, and wacko-for-Ben-O

nice try :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
10-20-2009, 05:22 AM
Just another great article on Ben. Thanks for the read Mesa.

memphissteelergirl
10-20-2009, 08:57 AM
"Right now, the only thing stopping the Steelers are turnovers.

With four more - one interception, three fumbles - the Steelers have committed 12 turnovers in six games."

Ouch....not good. :shake02:

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
As I recently stated in another thread - Big Ben IS the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt03::applaudit::hatsoff: There isn't another QB in this league who makes a hair on his hiney. :thumbsup:

Texasteel
10-20-2009, 09:14 AM
As I recently stated in another thread - Big Ben IS the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt03::applaudit::hatsoff: There isn't another QB in this league who makes a hair on his hiney. :thumbsup:

I agree completely, but there are still some morons out there that still think of him as a game manager. I actually heard Michal Irvin say if Ben throws over 30 times the Steelers are in trouble, just a week ago.:banging: Luckily I only had a towel in my hand and it didn't hurt the TV at all.:mad:

solardave
10-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree completely, but there are still some morons out there that still think of him as a game manager. I actually heard Michal Irvin say if Ben throws over 30 times the Steelers are in trouble, just a week ago.:banging: Luckily I only had a towel in my hand and it didn't hurt the TV at all.:mad:

Michael Irvin: recovered Crack Head. Or is he? There are some players who had a lot of God given talent (and never pushed off-wink wink) but that doesn't make them a football analyst He's T.O. with people skills.
:coffee:

Hammer Of The GODS
10-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Michael Irvin: recovered Crack Head. Or is he? There are some players who had a lot of God given talent (and never pushed off-wink wink) but that doesn't make them a football analyst He's T.O. with people skills.
:coffee:

Irving is a POS! You hit the nail on the head. 90% of his catches came off him pushing the defender away to make the catch.

Don't get me started about the crack use!

Steelboy84
10-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Irving is a POS! You hit the nail on the head. 90% of his catches came off him pushing the defender away to make the catch.

Don't get me started about the crack use!

Yea, try telling my uncle that.

Irvin is the reason for "offensive pass interference".

fansince'76
10-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I actually heard Michal Irvin say if Ben throws over 30 times the Steelers are in trouble, just a week ago.:banging:

Umm, he's exceeded 30 pass attempts in 5 out of 6 games this season so far, and he threw exactly 30 in the 6th. :rolleyes: Of course, Irvin is a crack-addled idiot, so.... :yawn:

sharkweek
10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
The Steelers had a rushing attack against the Browns, gaining a season-high 140 yards on the ground, but it was on the right arm of Roethlisberger - as has been the case all season - on which this game was won.

wtf? Mendenhall had more than that on his own in the Chargers game...165 yards for him and 177 yards for the team.

someone was short-sighted in their attempt to sensationalize Ben's performance...

steel striker
10-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Here is what cracks me up when Ben throws for over 300 yards and, has over 30 pass att. people are saying the steelers are in trouble. No one says anything when Lord Manning or King Brady has high passing numbers without a running game. They all go crazy for any qb not named Ben Roethlisberger . They are a bunch of haters. Screw them all!!