PDA

View Full Version : Post-Cleveland thoughts

mesaSteeler
10-19-2009, 08:27 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Post-Cleveland thoughts

I've covered every game Ben Roethlisberger has played at quarterback and can tell you without a doubt, he's playing the best football of his career.

Roethlisberger still makes an occasional dumb throw - like his second half interception, what was he thinking? but he's playing quarterback better than anybody in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There, I said it. Roethlisberger is better than Bradshaw. Better than Layne. Better than O'Donnell. Better than Stewart. You get the idea.

The run defense didn't really suffer this week without Aaron Smith as Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, with a little bit of rookie Ziggy Hood thrown in, helped shut down the running lanes for the Browns pretty well.

We'll see this weekend, when the Steelers host the Vikings, if they can kick that into the next gear.

Following Sunday's game, the Heinz Field maintenance crew began tearing up the center of the field to re-sod it. It's supposed to be completed by the morning.

Cleveland is so bad that even the usually cheerleader-laden Browns media is looking ahead at how this team can get the No. 1 pick in next year's draft.

All of those people who spent all of those years screaming for the Steelers to throw the ball to the tight end have to find themselves a new mantra.

Heath Miller is playing Pro Bowl football. With Tony Gonzalez now playing in Atlanta, this might be the year that Miller gets his due.

But let's be honest, despite all of the lobbying of previous years, he really didn't deserve it. Yeah, he's a pretty good blocker and reliable receiver, but the Pro Bowl is about production.

He's got that this year.

The Steelers offensive line is playing outstanding football but will be facing its biggest test of the season against the Vikings.

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu and left tackle Max Starks both had to be helped off in the first quarter and while both returned, you don't want to be at anything less than 100 percent facing that Minnesota defensive line.

People who were worried about this team's receivers coming into this season didn't realize that Hines Ward found the fountain of youth.

Welcome back Troy Polamalu. Two games, two interceptions.

Outside of Josh Cribbs, Shaun Rogers and Joe Thomas, I don't know who on Cleveland's roster would play for the Steelers.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 10:50 PM 7 comments Links to this post

sharkweek
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Ben is on pace to break 5000 yards and a 72+ completion percentage, that's not just better quarterbacking than in Steeler history, its better than NFL history.

Granted, Peyton is currently on pace for higher, although I'd wager both will drop off once winter weather starts up. And also because I just jinxed both of them by bring this fact to attention :flap:

scsteeler
10-19-2009, 09:08 AM
This Steeler Offense is getting better and better each week. If this team could quit shooting themselves in the foot most games would not look as close as they are.

Also glad that my statement about the O-line being a strength of this team this year is holding True but a lot of football to play. Damn do we blame Arians for this too LOL

solardave
10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
This Steeler Offense is getting better and better each week. If this team could quit shooting themselves in the foot most games would not look as close as they are.

Also glad that my statement about the O-line being a strength of this team this year is holding True but a lot of football to play. Damn do we blame Arians for this too LOL

I guess we who doubted BA (and there are plenty of us) need to start a BA is the man thread. I know he's making a believer out of me.Next week will be our biggest challenge so far. My hats off to him.

scsteeler
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Solar Dave I think I am gone leave the BA threads alone, there are enough out their now. LOL

I am just glad to see this Team getting wins and I will take them by 1 point or 100.

:tt04::tt04:

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Terry = 4 Superbowls + 2 Superbowl MVPs

Ben = 2 Superbowls

Ben still has work to do. Bottom Line.

Moment of silence to recognize the greatness of Terry Bradshaw...shhhhhhh............................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...there we are.

The_WARDen
10-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Terry = 4 Superbowls + 2 Superbowl MVPs

Ben = 2 Superbowls

Ben still has work to do. Bottom Line.

Moment of silence to recognize the greatness of Terry Bradshaw...shhhhhhh............................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...there we are.

in fairness to Ben, if his last name was Manning he would have gotten the MVP for last year's SB ala Eli.