PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the nod this week?

Sharkissle29
10-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Seems like it could be debated weekly, but who gets the nod at RB this week....

IMO, i think it is mendenhall again. Willie still didnt look like himself, a bit tentative to hit the holes. He is lacking confidence, and the fumble doesnt help (mendys was BS if you ask me).

the thing that i like mendenhall is that he ALWAYS seems to fall forward and rarely gets tackled in the back field. i can recall one time against the browns that he did, but he had 3 guys attacking him.

mendenhall didnt have the greatest game, but he was productive. i think the browns game-planned against the run and were fairly successful. however, they failed to game-plan against our stud QB, which as you saw, completely destroyed their secondary.

it is pretty easy to see that mendenhall is our future back and willie will either sign elsewhere, or take a discount...

The Definiti0n
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Mendenhall is 100000X better at blitz pick up than Willie Parker is and was. See the Hines Ward TD for proof.

Mendenhall FTW

stillers4me
10-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Mendenhall.

Willie was tripping over his own feet.

Preacher
10-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Mendenhall.

Willie was tripping over his own feet.

Wilie tripping over his feet is probably due to those shoes... which is one reason why Mendy should start.

Fact of the matter is, I am VERY happy and comfortable with the way the runs went yesterday. They both averaged the same amount of yards, split carried (mendy getting more, which he should being both young and healthy), and played well except for that horrid 3rd quarter fumble-a-thon (which probably won't happen again for quite some time).

Sharkissle29
10-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Wilie tripping over his feet is probably due to those shoes... which is one reason why Mendy should start.

Fact of the matter is, I am VERY happy and comfortable with the way the runs went yesterday. They both averaged the same amount of yards, split carried (mendy getting more, which he should being both young and healthy), and played well except for that horrid 3rd quarter fumble-a-thon (which probably won't happen again for quite some time).

They just had a little talk about the Steelers imbalance on offense, but since mendy has been starter, have we really been that imbalanced?

We didnt run for a whole lot of yards, but we also didnt attempt to run that much. I think if we want to run the football we really can, and this offense is more balanced than people think.

wootawnee
10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
We got Willie some playing time this week to get him back into the fold.........He will get better as he heals......Mendy is way healthy at the moment..........Mendy is more of a complete back who can catch.........

Psyychoward86
10-19-2009, 06:43 PM
They just had a little talk about the Steelers imbalance on offense, but since mendy has been starter, have we really been that imbalanced?

We didnt run for a whole lot of yards, but we also didnt attempt to run that much. I think if we want to run the football we really can, and this offense is more balanced than people think.

uh.....yeah we did. Our pass attempts and rush attempts were almost equal. Bruce Arians called a great game

Nadroj 20
10-19-2009, 06:44 PM

NO we arent unbalanced at all the game against cleveland the box score has us running 36 times and throwing 35.....seems very balanced to me....

WindyCitySteelerFan
10-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Mendy, but overall I think our O looked good.

I can name 20 other teams that would love to have all of the options that Ben has right now.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Mendenhall is now the starter in Pittsburgh.

Vincent
10-19-2009, 07:17 PM
I'd like to see the ball thrown to Mendy some more. This is NOT a gripe. I love to see him catch and go. He's good in space, not great yet but he will be.

With defenses trying to get to Ben as they do we can torch them with screens.

Jmat
10-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Mendenhall picks up the blitz better, he is better catching the ball out of the backfield, he attacks the hole better and he's a more powerful runner.

Fast Willie Parker in my opinion is the third best running back on this team behind Mendy and Moore.
He's in his last season as a Steeler.

Vincent
10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Mendenhall picks up the blitz better,

He can be a devastating blocker (LB in the SD game). I'm looking forward to him planting McStabbin. You know it's going to happen.

Fast Willie Parker in my opinion is the third best running back on this team behind Mendy and Moore.

Memo is a gem. What doesn't he do well? FWP hit his stride and was a good Steeler for a few years. He was never going to be a 10,000 yard back.

Mendy could be.

steelwalls
10-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Mendenhall gets the start (without a doubt IMO), but Willie gets a few touches.

tony hipchest
10-19-2009, 09:44 PM
uh.....yeah we did. Our pass attempts and rush attempts were almost equal. Bruce Arians called a great game

NO we arent unbalanced at all the game against cleveland the box score has us running 36 times and throwing 35.....seems very balanced to me....lets not confuse 1 qb sneak and 5 ben scrambles on passing downs as "balance".

it really equates to a passing play being called 40 times vs. 31 rushing attempts.

then again, stats can say whatever we want to believe.

Angus Burgher
10-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Mendy gets my vote. If the O-Line can provide some good blocks, I think he can more than trump what Ray Rice did against the Vikes this week.

Nadroj 20
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
lets not confuse 1 qb sneak and 5 ben scrambles on passing downs as "balance".

it really equates to a passing play being called 40 times vs. 31 rushing attempts.

Thats still pretty balanced for a team people has now labeled as "passing" oriented

MasterOfPuppets
10-19-2009, 09:54 PM
i don't care who gets in the game first, but when one of the backs has 15 carries and 20 yds.....well its time to let someone else give it a try...:popcorn:

Preacher
10-19-2009, 10:11 PM
lets not confuse 1 qb sneak and 5 ben scrambles on passing downs as "balance".

However, when it is all said and done, a Ben scramble is as effective as a called run, because it Still makes the LB's and DB's react to a run.

We have no idea if the next play to be called would have been a run, and then it was changed because of a scramble.

tony hipchest
10-19-2009, 10:18 PM
However, when it is all said and done, a Ben scramble is as effective as a called run, because it Still makes the LB's and DB's react to a run.

We have no idea if the next play to be called would have been a run, and then it was changed because of a scramble.

like i said, stats can say whatever we want to believe. technically it was 36-35.

and just to emphasize your point, bens scrambles are just as effective as a sack.... (especially when you take away his long of 13 yds and see he netted -2 yds on 5 others inclucing a 4th and 1 sneak which was an obvious fail, yet gift from the refs).

:hunch:

im not bitching about, or questioning the play calling at all. but those who profess that we finally achieved "balanced" playcalling are simply mistaken.

31 rush.

40 pass.

it is what it is (and i am fine with it).

Nadroj 20
10-19-2009, 10:48 PM
I dont feel you are mistaken if you feel it was a balanced called game.

For a team that is now thought of as being better at the pass (which is what we have become).....40-31 is pretty good

Its just my opinion however

sharkweek
10-20-2009, 02:54 AM
if they play the two like they did against the Browns then it doesn't really matter who starts as they switched them up so frequently it seemed like they were each getting a turn on every other series.

Of course things could change considering how I believe Parker struggled a lot more than Mendy against the Browns (Parkers stumble and fumble was far more inexcusable)

Galax Steeler
10-20-2009, 04:47 AM
You have to go with Mendenhall. The guy is getting the touches he needs so he can get better in the nfl. I like his pick up on blitzes and he is catching the ball well on screens. He is our future give him the ball.

X-Terminator
10-20-2009, 05:07 AM
NO we arent unbalanced at all the game against cleveland the box score has us running 36 times and throwing 35.....seems very balanced to me....

That's deceiving - 2 of those rushes were scrambles by Ben, 1 was a QB sneak and the other 3 were kneel downs at the end of the game. Plus, he was sacked 3 times, and those are considered pass plays. So they actually called 40 pass plays and 31 official rushes - not really all that balanced. It doesn't matter to me, though - they are playing to their strength, which is their passing game.

EDIT: Tony already covered this above.

Anyway, on topic - they should start Mendenhall again, no question. I think he will have more success against the Vikings' front 4 than Parker would, simply because of the kind of runner he is. I'm not saying he'll run for 100 yards, but he has a chance to gain 50-60.

solardave
10-20-2009, 05:08 AM
i don't care who gets in the game first, but when one of the backs has 15 carries and 20 yds.....well its time to let someone else give it a try...:popcorn:

you're right and when the one you put in picks up the blitz and catches well out of the backfield you go with him. That would be either Rashard or Memo.

steelballs
10-20-2009, 07:50 AM
I vote for Mendenhall. He simply brings more to the table than Willie.

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Mendy gets the start, but I'd like to see both RB's contribute, as I think the two-headed monster can rack up some yards against the Vikes run D.

revefsreleets
10-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Mendy.

steelballs
10-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Mendy gets the start, but I'd like to see both RB's contribute, as I think the two-headed monster can rack up some yards against the Vikes run D.

I want Willie to play as well, but Mendy definitely gets the start. If Willie is still hobbled, I'd rather see Mewelde as his hands add another dimension that Willie doesn't.

SteelMember
10-20-2009, 11:17 AM
I think we will do the same thing this week. Start Mendinghall (that's how the announcer said it last week anyway. :chuckle:) and alternate series with Parker.

No matter who officially gets the start, we are going to need everyone this week.

scsteeler
10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I think we will do the same thing this week. Start Mendinghall (that's how the announcer said it last week anyway. :chuckle:) and alternate series with Parker.

No matter who officially gets the start, we are going to need everyone this week.

So true we need both backs. You are much better when you have 2 people contributing instead of 1 in the back field and with Moore we have 3 guys that can add to the offense.

Steelboy84
10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Mendy

theplatypus
10-20-2009, 08:10 PM
According to Tomlin Mendenhall has passed Parker on the depth chart. As per ESPN a few minutes ago.

MACH1
10-20-2009, 08:19 PM
According to Tomlin Mendenhall has passed Parker on the depth chart. As per ESPN a few minutes ago.

I heard that on Sirius today too.

tony hipchest
10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
I heard that on Sirius today too.good day on sirius today. in addition to tomlins and woodleys regular tuesday appearance they had on hines ward. :thumbsup:

from those who havent seen it, this is directly from the horses mouth in tomlins presser today-

http://pit.scout.com/2/911167.html

Q: Is Rashard your No. 1 back now?

A: At this point it’s ongoing, but I will acknowledge that Rashard has earned the right to take the majority of snaps as we proceed. I think that’s how we approach a lot of what we do. Who’s going to give us the best chance to win on a week-to-week basis? Rashard has had the hot hand the last several weeks. He’s been given the opportunity due to the injury to Willie Parker, and he’s really taken advantage of it. It’s great to have Willie back. We have several capable runners that we’re comfortable giving the ball to. Rashard has the hot hand right now, so in the short term we’ll proceed in the manner that we have in the last several weeks. If and when that changes, we’ll let you know.

sounds like a changing of the guard to me....

MACH1
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
good day on sirius today. in addition to tomlins and woodleys regular tuesday appearance they had on hines ward. :thumbsup:

Hines was the only one I had time to listen to. "Its like the turkey bowl" :chuckle:

stillers4me
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
good day on sirius today. in addition to tomlins and woodleys regular tuesday appearance they had on hines ward. :thumbsup:

I heard Hine's interview. Classy way to represent the Steelers! :tt02: