View Full Version : Steelers WR Holmes on his way to 1,000

mesaSteeler
10-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Steelers WR Holmes on his way to 1,000
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_648870.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Santonio Holmes is well on his way to accomplishing something that has eluded the Steelers' wide receiver going back to high school: having a 1,000-yard receiving season. The MVP of Super Bowl MVP has 438 yards on 28 catches. If he maintains the pace he has set through the Steelers' six games, Holmes will finish with 1,168 receiving yards.

"I'm not even focusing on that right now. I've got one touchdown," Holmes said. "I want to score touchdowns as opposed to getting 1,000 yards."

Holmes' only touchdown came in the Steelers' 13-10 win against the Titans in their season opener.

Brett Keisel almost had his first interception since high school in the Steelers' 27-14 win against the Browns. The starting defensive end batted a Derek Anderson pass into the air, and he got his hands on the ball but couldn't come up with catch in the second quarter.

"I didn't even know it was there until I heard the crowd," Keisel said of the batted ball, "and I turned around and it was right there, and I just reached, and it wasn't meant to be."

The Steelers' run defense will get tested early and often Sunday when the Minnesota Vikings visit Heinz Field for a 1 p.m. game. Adrian Peterson leads the NFL in rushing with 624 yards.

"He has a very good (offensive) line in front of him so we have to go in there with a single focus of shutting down the run," Steelers defensive tackle Chris Hoke said.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright 2009 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.

tony hipchest
10-20-2009, 12:22 AM
WOOHOOO! the 4th year pro (and #1 wr taken in the '06 draft) might finally crack 1000 yds.

im sure if he played for UT or USC some of the savants here wouldve already declared him a first round "bust".

santonio does a hell of a job opening up the offense. heres to hoping he doesnt expect to be the next highest paid wr in the league.

if so, mcdonald, sweed, and wallace are always waiting int the wing....

MasterOfPuppets
10-20-2009, 12:37 AM
WOOHOOO! the 4th year pro (and #1 wr taken in the '06 draft) might finally crack 1000 yds.

im sure if he played for UT or USC some of the savants here wouldve already declared him a first round "bust".

santonio does a hell of a job opening up the offense. heres to hoping he doesnt expect to be the next highest paid wr in the league.

if so, mcdonald, sweed, and wallace are always waiting int the wing....
bu...bu...but he gets all the double coverages...:noidea:
if wallace keeps it up, i'd have no problem with them letting him walk if he's looking for top 10 money..... he certainly drops his share of balls and about 30 % of his games thus far he's had 3 catches or less ...:popcorn:

SteelC7
10-20-2009, 02:30 AM
holmes is very valuable to the offense, if he was gone our passing attack would go to hell in a handbasket, he is a first down machine, and COMBINED with wallace, we have a great trio of receivers, if holmes was gone, and they double covered wallace, who would catch passes, ward wil be retired or almost retired

Galax Steeler
10-20-2009, 05:12 AM
I don't see why he wouldn't get his 1,000 plus yards this year. He should have more then what he has if he hadn't dropped some easy passes. But that is the game of football.