PDA

View Full Version : View From The Press Box - Changing of the guard

mesaSteeler
10-20-2009, 10:59 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/10/20/changing-of-the-guard/

Changing of the guard
October 20th, 2009

Bruce Arians said recently that he would welcome the problem of finding enough carries to keep Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall both effective and happy.

Looks like the Steelers offensive coordinator got what he wanted.

Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed today what had become evident over the last couple of weeks: Mendenhall has supplanted Parker as the Steelers’ primary ball-carrier.

“Rashard has earned the right to continue to take the majority of the snaps as we proceed,” Tomlin said at his weekly news conference. “I think that’s how we approach a lot of what we do, who’s going to give us the best chance to win on a week to week basis.”

Mendenhall and Parker must not even be close in the eyes of the Steelers’ coaches. After all, Mendenhall would more readily accept a supporting role since his time as the Steelers’ feature back would have come no later than next season.

Now the Steelers have to hope that Parker, the third-leading rusher in franchise history, will willingly accept a reduced role — and at a time when the two-time Pro Bowler probably wants to showcase himself to other teams since he is in the final year of his contract.

If the Steelers coaches want Parker, who is still battling a case of turf toe, to fall into line all they have to is show him the tape.

He hasn’t been the same since breaking his leg near the end of the 2007 season, and Mendenhall is clearly the better back right now.

Parker should also keep in mind that a lot can still happen over the rest of the season, and Mendenhall has not put a stranglehold on the starting job.

At least not yet.

“Rashard has the hot hand,” Tomlin said, “so we’ll continue to do what we’ve done for the last couple of weeks.”

Merchant
10-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Good. Don't get me wrong, I love Parker, he's been great for us in the past, but IN THE PAST are the key words in that sentence. I don't know if it's his injuries or what.. he's just not running with confidence anymore.

And what about Logan? isn't he a RB? let's give him some Darren Sproles type screens once or twice every game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Been all part of the plan since Mendenhall was drafted. Next season its Mendenhall, Moore, Logan, Redman or Summers (and likely another draft pick. Its also the last year of Moore's contract.

2011 will likely see Mendenhall, Logan, the 2010 rookie and either Redman or Summers.

Galax Steeler
10-21-2009, 04:59 AM
Just keep feeding Mendenhall the ball. He will only get better hopefully by the end of the year we will be saying Willie who.

The Lakelander
10-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Pah-lease!

This is exactly what Willie Parker wanted.

He gets out of town now with less wear and tear.

Jerome Bettis coached Parker right into a backup role!

steeltheone
10-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Again Mendy has looked ok. But the Browns, Lions and Charger Defense could make anybody look good.

Twizted
10-21-2009, 08:55 AM
See, this is why I love Mike Tomlin. The man gets it. It's simple, as he said, you go with the hot hand. The one that gives you a better shot at winning each week. So many coaches play the favorites game and it ends up costing them in the long run. I'm glad to see Mendy now starting the guy has been great the past few weeks. Let's hope he keeps it up and continues to show why he deserves this.

mulldog24
10-21-2009, 09:08 AM
I really like what Mendy brings to the table as far as his versitility and being able to do more things to help the team. I was in DA BURGH this past sunday and it really wasn't pretty watching Parker fall down after the catch or the way he carried the ball loosely thru the middle of the line resulting in a fumble. These were just mental mistakes that a pro shouldn't make. I'm not trying to bash Parker but he shouldn't do things to hurt the team if he really wants out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Pah-lease!

:screwy:

kirklandrules
10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I really loved watching Parker rip those long runs with his blazing speed. Unfortunately, he is at a point in his career (and contract) where he really needs to find that competitive attitude or some anger that will get him running hard again. Seeing RM consistently get 2-3 yards when there's no running room when Parker is usually lucky to get back to the line-of-scrimmage shows me who wants it more. And if Parker wants to go to another team, it is only in his best interest that he runs hard here ... otherwise he's going to lose that big contract and will be signed for a few bucks as either a backup or the primary for a cruddy team with a shortage of backs. I can forgive the tentativeness he is showing because he's had injury problems, it's heartless to think just because he's a professional that he should have no reservation due to his injuries. Where I knock the guy is the perception that he is not being the player/coach to RM as Bettis was with him (and Hines is with Limas and Wallas and Potsy is with Timmons and etc, etc). He really comes across as an every man for yourself type guy and that's not what the Steelers are about.

steelreserve
10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed today what had become evident over the last couple of weeks: Mendenhall has supplanted Parker as the Steelers’ primary ball-carrier.

“Rashard has earned the right to continue to take the majority of the snaps as we proceed,” Tomlin said at his weekly news conference. “I think that’s how we approach a lot of what we do, who’s going to give us the best chance to win on a week to week basis.”

Mendenhall and Parker must not even be close in the eyes of the Steelers’ coaches.

Well, if any of YOU have any head coaching experience, and if YOU get to see the players in practice every day, let me know, but I think I'll go ahead and listen to the coaching staff because they obviously know more than I do. I mean, we're just fans and it's easy to play Madden and be a Monday Morning quarterback, but these are the REAL coaches, so I'm just going to go ahead and trust their judgment.

... wow, it feels weird to be on the other side of that. Ironic, isn't it?

MACH1
10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Pah-lease!

:footinmou

Psyychoward86
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Pah-lease!

wtf. 3 straight 1,200 yard seasons says he didnt

truesteelerfan
10-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I don't have a problem going with the hot back right now....The current successful teams who can run the ball in the NFL have to have more than one capable back....Look how great the Jags were a year or two ago with Taylor and Jones-Drew....This year with one feature back, they're not the same. I hope Mendy can stay hot-its good for our team, but hopefully if he does cool off, Tomlin can put Willie back out there and not try to make Mendy fit if he's not producing.