PDA

View Full Version : The Bengals are who we thought they were...

Raynestorm
10-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Or...they're not who they thought they were.

As good as it must have felt for them to be 4-1, I knew it wasn't for real. Both their O and the D are in the bottom half of the NFL. O is #17 and D is #19. Carson is ranked 21st out of 32 QB's. Yes, I know Ced Ben is in the top five, but he has a couple monster games that got him there (Green Bay and Baltimore). The others were pedestrian at best with 70 yards or so...and only managed 44 against the Texans.

Their stats don't support the 4-2 record.

Their wins weren't by legitly going out and beating people, but by relying on the other teams to blow it.

Remember 2005 when the Bengals went 11-5? They led the league in getting turnovers that year and I knew that wouldn't work come post season. You can't rely on other people making mistakes. I knew that if we went into Cincy and didn't kill ourselves, we'd win.

We did.

The Texans beat the Bengals by not collapsing...their QB had just one INT and that's ok if you throw for 4 TD's.

I knew that, sooner or later, they'd have to line up and play someone straight up that didn't make mistakes. They wouldn't be handed the game. The Texans did that to them this past week and it was obvious how bad the Bengals really are.

And it's not going to get any easier any time soon....Chicago this week, bye, then hosting Baltimore for the revenge match, then they're in our house for our turn at revenge. To end the year, they're in Mini-soda, in San Diego, hosting KC then wrap it up by going on the road against the Jets.

These are not teams that are going to collapse and hand them anything.

The Bengals are the Bengals, and always will be. :tt:

CantStop85
10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes, I know Ced Ben is in the top five, but he has a couple monster games that got him there (Green Bay and Baltimore). The others were pedestrian at best with 70 yards or so...and only managed 44 against the Texans.
So you're saying take away his big games like you have to take away Willie Parker's big runs and he's a pretty average running back. :chuckle:

Their wins weren't by legitly going out and beating people, but by relying on the other teams to blow it.
The NFL is a pretty parity-filled league. You don't see Patriots-Titans blowouts as the norm. Usually the team that makes the least mistakes wins...is this something out of the ordinary?

The Texans beat the Bengals by not collapsing...their QB had just one INT and that's ok if you throw for 4 TD's.
The Texans have one of the more explosive offenses in the NFL and were simply the better team on Sunday. The Bengals offense had been underachieving thus far...something that I think will get better as the season goes on; they certainly have the talent to be very good. The defense is regressing a bit with a lot of players banged up, most notably Antwan Odom out for the season, but also Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, and Pat Sims battling some injuries. A lot will depend on how some of the backups are able to come in and produce.

I knew that, sooner or later, they'd have to line up and play someone straight up that didn't make mistakes. They wouldn't be handed the game. The Texans did that to them this past week and it was obvious how bad the Bengals really are.
I don't think the fact that the Bengals have been winning games in the final minutes makes them a bad team. It's not like they don't show up for 58 minutes and then the other team makes a mistake that hands the game to them. They've been able to play well enough to stay close until the end of games and either wait for the other team to make a mistake or take advantage of an opportunity to make a big play. In my mind, that's pretty solid football.

Let's not forget that the Bengals have also come up on the short end of the stick in a similar fashion on a last second play by the now 6-0 Broncos.

And it's not going to get any easier any time soon....Chicago this week, bye, then hosting Baltimore for the revenge match, then they're in our house for our turn at revenge.
The Bengals have a tough stretch of 3 games coming up (Chicago, Baltimore, Pittsburgh). Hopefully they can pull out 2 wins there and at the very least 1 divisional win. We'll get to see what the team is made of.

If they can survive that stretch, they then have a pretty easy 3 game stretch against Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit...all of which are potential wins.

Then they have another tough 2 games with Minnesota and San Diego...hopefully they can win 1 out of 2 there.

They then have somewhat of a break as they play Kansas City before they end the regular season with a tough game against the Jets. Again, hopefully they should take 1 out of 2 there.

So in summation if they can win just one of Chicago, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh; sweep Oakland, Cleveland, and Detroit; split between Minnesota and San Diego; and split between Kansas City and the Jets, they will be looking at a 10-6 record and at least a wildcard. That's not terribly inconceivable. :noidea:

revefsreleets
10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
The Bengals will lose their next 3 (4-5), then beat 2 of 3 bad teams they face (not sure who yet) (6-6), then drop both to Minny and SD (6-8), then beat KC and lose to the Jets to be 7-9.

That's still 3 wins more than I would've given them at the outset...

Raynestorm
10-21-2009, 01:59 PM
So you're saying take away his big games like you have to take away Willie Parker's big runs and he's a pretty average running back. :chuckle:

The NFL is a pretty parity-filled league. You don't see Patriots-Titans blowouts as the norm. Usually the team that makes the least mistakes wins...is this something out of the ordinary?

The Texans have one of the more explosive offenses in the NFL and were simply the better team on Sunday. The Bengals offense had been underachieving thus far...something that I think will get better as the season goes on; they certainly have the talent to be very good. The defense is regressing a bit with a lot of players banged up, most notably Antwan Odom out for the season, but also Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, and Pat Sims battling some injuries. A lot will depend on how some of the backups are able to come in and produce.

I don't think the fact that the Bengals have been winning games in the final minutes makes them a bad team. It's not like they don't show up for 58 minutes and then the other team makes a mistake that hands the game to them. They've been able to play well enough to stay close until the end of games and either wait for the other team to make a mistake or take advantage of an opportunity to make a big play. In my mind, that's pretty solid football.

Let's not forget that the Bengals have also come up on the short end of the stick in a similar fashion on a last second play by the now 6-0 Broncos.

The Bengals have a tough stretch of 3 games coming up (Chicago, Baltimore, Pittsburgh). Hopefully they can pull out 2 wins there and at the very least 1 divisional win. We'll get to see what the team is made of.

If they can survive that stretch, they then have a pretty easy 3 game stretch against Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit...all of which are potential wins.

Then they have another tough 2 games with Minnesota and San Diego...hopefully they can win 1 out of 2 there.

They then have somewhat of a break as they play Kansas City before they end the regular season with a tough game against the Jets. Again, hopefully they should take 1 out of 2 there.

So in summation if they can win just one of Chicago, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh; sweep Oakland, Cleveland, and Detroit; split between Minnesota and San Diego; and split between Kansas City and the Jets, they will be looking at a 10-6 record and at least a wildcard. That's not terribly inconceivable. :noidea:

You can't rely on the other team making mistakes. You have to be able to line up and just beat people, even if they don't make mistakes. The Bengals haven't done that this year.

The Bengals have been involved in close games....and if it weren't for the other team collapsing, they wouldn't have won them. I'm saying you can't rely on that.

Can the Bengals win games if the other team doesn't hand the game to them? They didn't Sunday and I don't think they can. Your O and D are ranked in the bottom half of the NFL.

CantStop85
10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Can the Bengals win games if the other team doesn't hand the game to them? They didn't Sunday and I don't think they can. Your O and D are ranked in the bottom half of the NFL.

I believe so. Now a question for you. Do you think the Steelers can get a win against a team that isn't terrible?

So far their only wins have come against the Titans (0-6), San Diego (2-3), Detroit (1-5), and Cleveland (1-5).

The Bengals aren't the only team with question marks. :coffee:

revefsreleets
10-21-2009, 04:12 PM
The same problem the Bengals ALWAYS must confront rears it's ugly head yet again: If ONLY the season could just last about 5 games, and they count the preseason, you'd have MULTIPLE championships!

Right NOW the Bengals look like a quality foe...but at seasons end 8-8 or 7-9 will prove that to be erroneous...as usual....

tony hipchest
10-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I believe so. Now a question for you. Do you think the Steelers can get a win against a team that isn't terrible?
::huh: did you watch any steeler games last year? have you watched any steelers football in the past 5 years? how bout the past 8? the steelers have been beaten teams that arent terrible this entire decade, to the tune of 13-3, 15-1, 12-4, record seasons, multiple division titles, 4 afc champ games and 2 superbowl victories.

doubting thomases kill me. the doubt lies with the bungles, not the steelers.

stillers4me
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Bengals fans....I'm around them everyday.

They were all thumping theirr chests last week. They lost one game and they are all back to " our team sucks" again. LOL. I have to teach them everything.

devilsdancefloor
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Bengals fans....I'm around them everyday.

They were all thumping theirr chests last week. They lost one game and they are all back to " our team sucks" again. LOL. I have to teach them everything.

ever since we lost to them i have been getting notes at the office that say who-dey from a co-worker moday i left one on his desk that said Texas-dey & soon We-dey

Raynestorm
10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
#5 for total offense without Fast Willie. (403 yards/G)
#2 passing offense (297 yards/G)
#3 for total defense without Polamalu. (275 yards/G)
#2 for rushing defense (75 yards/G)
We're not exactly stinkin' up the joint.

Same defense as last year.. Worked pretty well for us as I recall. Except now we have an offense that can go toe to toe with anybody in the league.

Yeah, I think we can hold our own. :coffee:

And these are the stats that Bengal fans don't want to see. We're better than our record indicates. Any team in the top ten that many times is going to win most of their games. We just happened to have let a couple slip away from us and need to get that 'collapse' thing under control.

The stats the Bengals really hate is where their O and D are in the bottom half of the NFL as well is Carson, he's in the bottom third! When you add that up, you get a team that shouldn't have a winning record. The fact that they do means they're not as good as they think they are. They're going to come crashing down to earth soon.

CantStop85
10-22-2009, 03:11 PM
And these are the stats that Bengal fans don't want to see. We're better than our record indicates. Any team in the top ten that many times is going to win most of their games. We just happened to have let a couple slip away from us and need to get that 'collapse' thing under control.

The stats the Bengals really hate is where their O and D are in the bottom half of the NFL as well is Carson, he's in the bottom third! When you add that up, you get a team that shouldn't have a winning record. The fact that they do means they're not as good as they think they are. They're going to come crashing down to earth soon.

The Steelers have also racked up those stats against teams who are a combined 11-23.

Conversely, the Bengals' opponents are a combined 20-15...not too shabby.

I'm not trying to say the Steelers aren't good, but comparing two teams stats is a little pointless when considering they've played a largely different schedule with differing levels of talent.

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2009, 05:26 PM

So far their only wins have come against the Titans (0-6), San Diego (2-3), Detroit (1-5), and Cleveland (1-5).

The Bengals aren't the only team with question marks. :coffee:
ok...you have 2 teams at 4-2...one of them was 12 - 4 and won a super bowl last year and the other was ...4-12 ? and had the 6th pick in the draft... now which one is most likely to be a fluke...:noidea:

billybob
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Holy mother of God , is there some point here i am too retarded to comprehend ? Dude , or chick , go back into the abyss of your normal losing a$$ ways . You had your brief moment in the sun . Now that reality is setting in you can;t let it go . Kind of hard to absorb ? Don't know why . As much as you guy's lose , you should be used to it by now . You are pathetic .
Win just one superbowl , and then come around and brag some . You have absolutely no case to stand on . You have guts though , i will give ya that much .
From winners of 6 , to losers of all , let it alone . You will not be able to handle the heat , nor the pain you have coming to you . Let it alone ! I beg of you !

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
:tt02:
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

CantStop85
10-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Holy mother of God , is there some point here i am too retarded to comprehend ?
Yes.

revefsreleets
10-23-2009, 10:24 AM
The Bengals start strong and end weakly...this year they are peaking a little later then usual (it's usually in game 3 of preseason)...

That's reason for celebration in Bungle-land where .500 is considered success...

Raynestorm
10-23-2009, 11:04 AM
The Bengals start strong and end weakly...this year they are peaking a little later then usual (it's usually in game 3 of preseason)...

That's reason for celebration in Bungle-land where .500 is considered success...

And you can see it in the way the teams react to wins within the division. When the Steelers beat the Ravens, Browns or Bengals we shake their hands and walk away. Just another game.

When the Bengals beat us or the Ravens they sing songs, jump up and down and throw babies in the air. Why? Because it's not just another game to them. We are the yardstick by which they measure their success.

Steelboy84
10-25-2009, 05:20 PM
The Bengals are ALWAYS who we think they are! and the Browns too! Ahahahahahahahaha...................

stlrtruck
11-10-2009, 08:40 AM
And now it's time for the Steelers to prove that week 3 was a hoax.

It's time to show the NFL that we still own the AFCN and to let the bungals know that they still have a long way to go before they can sit atop our kingdom!