PDA

View Full Version : asher allen in for winfield

jarodthegood
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/asher-allen?id=80626

this guy has no experience at all he was a third round pick based on all reviews he is a very phiscal corner,with lots of speed, considering its his first game and he will be guarding holmes..we should win this battle...but big ben and holmes have no tape to study on this guy!!

revefsreleets
10-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Minny plays two-deep, so he won't be on an island, but he's going to have a very long day I suspect...IF this is how it shakes out. He's actually listed as the 3rd option on the other side on their depth chart.

atlsteelers
10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
ahser is a nice player i met his father in jacksonville last year at the uga/florida game.

at this stage in his career he probally more of a threat as a kick/punt returner. at corner he likes to go for the big play and can be beat. will probally play like most rookie corners. maybe mike will run right by him

steelreserve
10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
If there's one thing I've come to know about the NFL, it's that one weak link in the secondary can put you straight on the road to a 35-7 loss. Assuming your opponent knows how take advantage of it, which I'm sure we do. They'd better hope the kid is more ready than most rookies.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Its still gonna come down to protecting Ben from the rush. If he gets time, he can find receivers in that Vikings secondary. If he sees too much pressure, he wont have time to exploit the rookie backup.

Fire Haley
10-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Showtime' 'Inside the NFL' showed how Big Ben will rape the Vikings secondary.

But since both our defenses have been sucking in the 4th qtr - it shoud be a helluva shootout.

stillers4me
10-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Showtime' 'Inside the NFL' showed how Big Ben will rape the Vikings secondary.

Let's choose our words a little more delicately. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
10-22-2009, 09:28 PM
OK .

They said he will ass rape them.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Shoes
10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/asher-allen?id=80626

this guy has no experience at all he was a third round pick based on all reviews he is a very phiscal corner,with lots of speed, considering its his first game and he will be guarding holmes..we should win this battle...but big ben and holmes have no tape to study on this guy!!

Would be nice if he could meet Hines Ward :chuckle:

pancake
10-22-2009, 09:52 PM
I hope we can keep Allen off Ben's back, so he can take advantage of the rookie...

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I hope we can keep Allen off Ben's back, so he can take advantage of the rookie...

Ya know, I dont think Jared Allen is gonna be a big factor. I think we will see a lot of the TE's like Miller, Spaeth, Johnson lining up on that side and doubling him or chipping him as they go into pattern.

I am more worried about the ability to keep the Williams from pushing the pocket back into Ben. If our interior line can keep them away from Ben and give him lanes to throw in....it could be a presicion passing display of crossing routes underneath, with a couple deep tosses to extend the zone.

tyler289
10-22-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm legitimately scared of Ben's health this Sunday.

Allen is going to destroy Starks. Miller and Spaeth better be ready to help out A LOT.

Steely McSmash
10-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Ya know, I dont think Jared Allen is gonna be a big factor. I think we will see a lot of the TE's like Miller, Spaeth, Johnson lining up on that side and doubling him or chipping him as they go into pattern.

I am more worried about the ability to keep the Williams from pushing the pocket back into Ben. If our interior line can keep them away from Ben and give him lanes to throw in....it could be a presicion passing display of crossing routes underneath, with a couple deep tosses to extend the zone.

I kind of wonder if BA will play TE Johnson on the line to help out Starks. Hew tends to leave Spaeth in there on the left for god knows what reason since they don't throw to him. I realize that Johnson is the H-Back type guy, but at least he can block.

markymarc
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
If our OL can give Ben time and help open up some running lanes, I see Ben totally destroying the Vikings secondary. Could be an explosive shootout on Sunday.

SteelMember
10-23-2009, 02:06 PM
He's not ruled out yet.

Winfield misses another practice, but Vikings won't rule him out (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8139ce6b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)
Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Antoine Winfield, the Minnesota Vikings' smallest player, left a giant hole in the defense when he left last weekend's game against the Baltimore Ravens with a sprained right foot.

The Vikings are hoping the 5-foot-9, 180-pound Pro Bowl cornerback can be ready for a big test Sunday in Pittsburgh against the suddenly pass-happy Steelers.

But Winfield has missed the first two days of practice this week, which isn't a good sign.

"If there's anybody that has a chance (to play) because of the notes he takes and how he looks at it, (it's Winfield)," Vikings coach Brad Childress said Thursday. "At some point, you have to warm up and move around, but I don't know right now."

The contrast between Minnesota's defense with Winfield and without was stark last Sunday. The Vikings forced the Ravens to punt on their first five possessions as they jumped out to a 14-0 lead. One of the NFL's best tackling cornerbacks held the edge against Baltimore's running backs and kept wide receivers Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton under wraps.

But Winfield went down during the second quarter, and Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco started to pick apart the Vikings' secondary.

"I don't think you can (compensate) for a guy like Antoine with some of the things he does," Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams said. "He's so physical. You very seldom see corners like that, who are that physical in the run game. He plays a big part when we're in our Cover 2 defense. Those guys know their role and they'll step up and help us out with that."

Flacco went right at backup Karl Paymah, who played almost exclusively on special teams in the first five games of the season. Paymah was beaten throughout the second half, particularly when Flacco threw for 196 yards and two touchdowns in a 21-point fourth quarter.

One of the most glaring plays was a 63-yard catch-and-run by Ravens running back Ray Rice to Winfield's side of the field.

The Vikings held on for a 33-31 victory when Ravens kicker Steve Hauschka's 44-yard field-goal attempt sailed wide left at the final whistle.

"It was a tough position to put any corner in last week," Vikings linebacker Ben Leber said. "Backups get marginal reps during the week, and to ask these guys to come in and play at a high level is a tough thing to do. No doubt they have to do it. This is our first real test with (Winfield) not being in the lineup, so it still remains to be seen."

Childress said the Vikings will evaluate Winfield throughout the week, hoping to make a decision on his playing status by Sunday. But Leber wasn't the only player speaking as if they would be without one of their leaders against the physical Steelers offense.

"When one guy goes down, the next guy stands up," cornerback Cedric Griffin said. "We have talented guys here on our team. All of our guys just have to elevate and just replace Antoine."

The timing is difficult for the 6-0 Vikings, who are off to their best start since 2003.

The Steelers (4-2) have morphed from a power-running team into a wide-open, shotgun attack. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has attempted at least 30 passes in all six games this season, and he threw for 417 yards last weekend against the Cleveland Browns. Hines Ward leads the league in receiving, and fellow wide receiver Santonio Holmes and tight end Heath Miller give Pittsburgh a balanced aerial offense.

It remains to be seen what the Vikings will do if Winfield can't play. Paymah could make the start, or nickel back Benny Sapp might slide to the outside to take Winfield's place. Rookie cornerback Asher Allen, a third-round draft pick out of Georgia, is a candidate to be activated for the first time in his NFL career.

"We all have confidence in myself, Karl Paymah, Benny, Asher," Griffin said. "We'll get the job done."

Allen has been practicing both on the outside and covering the slot in Minnesota's nickel package.

"I played corner my whole career in college. I played in the SEC and went against talented receivers that are in the NFL now," Allen said. "Also played nickel. If coach wants to put me outside, he can do that. ... Just whatever's best for the team, I'll be doing it."

stlrtruck
10-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Let him play and see if he can Holmes, Wallace, or McDonald on the fly.

scsteeler
10-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I see a lot of screens and quick out patterns to slow down the rush but the O-line has been doing a nice job of protecting Ben I have to say.

No O-line bashing in weeks which is good.

jarodthegood
10-23-2009, 03:06 PM
ok news update asher allen is going to be the backup if winfield sits...small cahnce he plays still... karl paymah will start who got torched in the 4th quarter against the ravens alst week he played the 2nd and 3rd quarter and did fine or didnt stick out but than the ravens lit him up...

revefsreleets
10-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I was wondering...like I said, he was WAY down the depth chart...

Galax Steeler
10-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't see Winfield playing I think they are just holding out so we don't know who to prepare for. Whoever it is Ben should be able to pass into the secondary with succses and keep them on there heels.

markymarc
10-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I would be very surprised to see Winfield playing today. Even if he does go, he will get abused just any other secondary player for the Vikings today against Ben.