PDA

View Full Version : Parker ‘cool’ with Tomlin’s decision

mesaSteeler
10-21-2009, 09:04 PM
View From The Press Box
Parker ‘cool’ with Tomlin’s decision
October 21st, 2009
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/10/21/parker-cool-with-tomlins-decision/

Willie Parker has accepted his new role as the Steelers’ second-string running back.

But the two-time Pro Bowler also said not to count him out even though Rashard Mendenhall, the Steelers’ first-round draft pick in 2008, has supplanted Parker atop the depth chart.

“I’m not myself right now,” said Parker, who is still battling a case of turf toe on his left foot. “Right now, I need to get back to myself. No excuses. I’m going to go out and keep working.”

Parker may not get a whole lot of work in the foreseeable future. Mendenhall received the bulk of the carries in the Steelers’ 27-14 win against the Browns last Sunday, and he has rushed for 304 yards and four touchdowns in the last three games.

At his weekly news conference Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Mendenhall will get continue to get the majority of the carries — at least for now — because he has the “hot hand.”

“I’m cool with it,” Parker said of Tomlin’s decision. “He thinks that’s the best thing for our offense right now and pretty much I’ve got to prove him wrong.”

When asked if that is his plan, Parker said, “If I say no, I’m not a competitor. I’m not in the right sport or profession so most definitely.”

LamarrWoodleysFade
10-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Lol he doesn't have much of a choice but to be "cool with it"...

tony hipchest
10-21-2009, 09:34 PM
parker IS a competitor and i would expect nothing else but for him to fight his ass off.

lakelander's "jerome bettis is his best friend and coaxing him to glide into free agency" conspiracy theory BS, is just that....

BS.

SteelersMongol
10-21-2009, 09:34 PM
He learned how 2 behave like this in a situation like this, from our good ol' THE BUS. :thumbsup:

Michael Vick's Dog
10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Competition is never a bad thing, imo.

Mendenhall finally pushing Parker is what I wanted all along.

tyler289
10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
At least he's not in denial and not being a jerk about it.

Two good running backs make the team better, and it sounds like FWP is going to try to earn the starters' job back.

steelreserve
10-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Parker is cool about it.

Meanwhile, steelreserve is dancing in the streets.

No, seriously, I think I'm going to go out and dance in the street in a few minutes just because of this.

BehindSteelCurtain
10-21-2009, 10:11 PM
I kinda like it bc Parker has to prove himself again. Kinda like Mendy in the SD game.

1st&Goal
10-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Good. Let 'em both try to out do one another until they're both runnin' 100 yds. plus/game.

BehindSteelCurtain
10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Good. Let 'em both try to out do one another until they're both runnin' 100 yds. plus/game.

Exactly, I think that's what he wants to get to. Tomlin does everything for a reason.

fansince'76
10-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Parker is cool about it.

Meanwhile, steelreserve is dancing in the streets.

No, seriously, I think I'm going to go out and dance in the street in a few minutes just because of this.

:chuckle:

mesaSteeler
10-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Steelers' Parker still has starter's mentality
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_649232.html#
By Mark Kaboly
Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, October 22, 2009

Coach Mike Tomlin said running back Rashard Mendenhall has earned the right to take the majority of snaps as the Steelers move forward toward the middle part of the season.

Willie Parker may not have gotten that memo.

Parker, who has been nursing a turf toe injury for the past three weeks, said Wednesday that the reason why he didn't start last week against Cleveland and won't start this week against Minnesota is because he isn't completely healthy.

"I am not ready to take the load right now," Parker said. "When I am ready, we will make another decision."

Parker has had a daily dialogue with Tomlin and let him know that he is physically unable to carry the ball 25-30 times a game.

"I am not 100 percent," Parker said. "Everybody knows I am not 100 percent. I am not ready to take 30 carries. When I am healthy, I will let you know."

Mendenhall has rushed for 304 yards over the past three weeks, all Steelers victories.

"He is kind of hot right now, so I understand why they want to stay with him," tackle Willie Colon said.

Mendenhall is averaging two more yards per carry than Parker for the season with virtually the same amount of carries.

"I feel like they are confident in me and my abilities and what I can bring to this team," Mendenhall said. "I am sure Willie wants to be out there, too."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

hindes204
10-22-2009, 01:09 AM
I love it....this will do nothing but push FWP to play harder, to try to earn his spot back. I think this is a great thing...I also think we havent seen the last of FWP, hes still got some game in him, if we get him healthy, and running the way he used to....man, thats one hell of a one two punch

The Lakelander
10-22-2009, 01:29 AM
parker IS a competitor and i would expect nothing else but for him to fight his ass off.

lakelander's "jerome bettis is his best friend and coaxing him to glide into free agency" conspiracy theory BS, is just that....

BS.

Parker wanted it this way ... he has dogged it purposely to finish out his contract without a major knee injury. Trust me on this! Jerome Bettis schooled him right through this lame-ass situation. I've lost all respect for Parker. I suspect he'll get one last lucrative NFL contract next season ... Cleveland, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Arizona, Seattle, Atlanta, Washington Detroit, dare I say New England? ... one of those teams will sign FWP to a 3 year deal worth $12-$15 million and Parker will have played his cards just perfectly in 2009 ... riding the pine with a light workload.

Galax Steeler
10-22-2009, 04:35 AM
I am ready for Parker to move on the last 2 to 3 years has sucked for him. He hasn't run with passion he falls after the first contact. It is Mendenhalls turn to take the raines.

X-Terminator
10-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Parker wanted it this way ... he has dogged it purposely to finish out his contract without a major knee injury. Trust me on this! Jerome Bettis schooled him right through this lame-ass situation. I've lost all respect for Parker. I suspect he'll get one last lucrative NFL contract next season ... Cleveland, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Arizona, Seattle, Atlanta, Washington Detroit, dare I say New England? ... one of those teams will sign FWP to a 3 year deal worth $12-$15 million and Parker will have played his cards just perfectly in 2009 ... riding the pine with a light workload.

Yeah, because it's oh so easy to play with turf toe. :coffee:

Give me a break. That has to be the single most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

The Lakelander
10-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah, because it's oh so easy to play with turf toe. :coffee:

Give me a break. That has to be the single most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

It started way before the turf toe. The turf toe just added a convenient excuse ...

No rush back to reclaim your starting job Willie! It's all "cool".

:applaudit:

X-Terminator ... I have you pegged around maybe 25 years old ... ??? ... Am I right?

steelballs
10-22-2009, 08:40 AM
At least he's not in denial and not being a jerk about it.

Two good running backs make the team better, and it sounds like FWP is going to try to earn the starters' job back.

Bingo! This is one of the things that makes the Steelers what they are...the "me" thing rarely seems to rear its' ugly head in the organization. The players know they share a special situation in the burg' and buy into the message Tomlin and the organization send because it works..... and they know it.

Steelboy84
10-22-2009, 10:59 AM

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

revefsreleets
10-22-2009, 11:24 AM

We have been over this ground before...you do NOT net a 15 million contract by not playing and sandbagging it. It is, in fact, the exact opposite. If WP wants a big payday for one of the teams that routinely (and stupidly) overpays, this is NOT the way to go about it. Each game he misses costs him money. He'll have a hard sell on the open market if he's dinged up the whole season.

stlrtruck
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Has anyone stopped to think that this has to do with two very distinct objectives here:

1) FWP is not the same person he was before his knee injuries, and now with the turf toe his body isn't what it use to be so he's taking the time to heal and in turn making the team better both long term and short term.

2) Willie is thinking about the team and he does't have the "ME" syndrome that a lot of athletes have. Instead he's taking into consideration that if he's out there for 25-30 carries a game that he becomes a detriment to the team and no an asset? And that this has nothing to do with big contracts but the potential to win a 3rd SB?

memphissteelergirl
10-22-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm with tony...

:bs:

That is all.

X-Terminator
10-22-2009, 09:34 PM
It started way before the turf toe. The turf toe just added a convenient excuse ...

No rush back to reclaim your starting job Willie! It's all "cool".

:applaudit:

X-Terminator ... I have you pegged around maybe 25 years old ... ??? ... Am I right?

:rofl:

So my feeling that your opinion is completely ridiculous makes me around 25 years old?

Hey, whatever sweetens your Cheerios, dude.

We have been over this ground before...you do NOT net a 15 million contract by not playing and sandbagging it. It is, in fact, the exact opposite. If WP wants a big payday for one of the teams that routinely (and stupidly) overpays, this is NOT the way to go about it. Each game he misses costs him money. He'll have a hard sell on the open market if he's dinged up the whole season.

Exactly, and that's the way it works in any walk of life. You aren't going to get paid for mailing in your efforts, plain and simple. The fact that he's been injury prone the past 2+ seasons alone will cost him money.

Shellshock
10-22-2009, 11:33 PM
He is to stupid to know other wise.

markymarc
10-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Tomlin is definitely doing the right thing and sticking with the hot hand in Mendenhall.

revefsreleets
10-23-2009, 02:57 PM

So my feeling that your opinion is completely ridiculous makes me around 25 years old?

Hey, whatever sweetens your Cheerios, dude.

Exactly, and that's the way it works in any walk of life. You aren't going to get paid for mailing in your efforts, plain and simple. The fact that he's been injury prone the past 2+ seasons alone will cost him money.

That whole thing was VERY weird...I mean...

"What, you don't agree with my idea that the NFL awards players who don't play with big contracts?" Really? You must only be 25 then, since you disagree with me..."

And the oddest part is, his original assertion was pretty much completely wrong.

So does that make him.....um......15?