PDA

View Full Version : Labriola's Take on the Match-ups

Suitanim
01-21-2006, 05:33 PM
By BOB LABRIOLA

Steelers.com

The following are some of the interesting match-ups to watch when the Steelers face the Broncos for the AFC Championship:

STEELERS NT CASEY HAMPTON VS. BRONCOS C TOM NALEN: The Pro Bowl centers from the AFC this year are Jeff Saturday and Nalen. Hampton handled Saturday last week in Indianapolis, and this week it?s Nalen. In the game between these teams in 2003, Hampton beat up Nalen to the degree it launched his own Pro Bowl candidacy, and he was voted to the AFC team even though the Steelers finished 6-10. The Broncos run the ball well, and have for years, but the offensive linemen aren?t physical. They do more shield blocking and cut-blocking, and the Steelers will try to push them around. There is no way Nalen will be able to handle Hampton one-on-one, and it?s often difficult for an offense to run the ball successfully if the nose tackle is penetrating and wreaking havoc.

STEELERS WR HINES WARD VS. BRONCOS CB CHAMP BAILEY: From a defensive standpoint, the Broncos will pose a stiffer challenge than the Colts, and the Steelers may have to exercise more patience this week. The Steelers come into every game wanting to establish their running game, but they also strive for balance, especially early. When the Steelers throw the ball, Ben Roethlisberger will spread it around, but it?s also no secret that Ward is a go-to guy. Bailey is one of the best cornerbacks in football, and each of these guys will be motivated to do well against a fellow Georgia Bulldog. Bailey might be the best cornerback Ward has faced all season, and it?s also a sure bet that Ward is the most physical receiver Bailey has faced.

STEELERS PR ANTWAAN RANDLE EL VS. BRONCOS P TODD SAUERBRUN: The thin air in Denver makes Sauerbrun even more of a weapon, but kicking it far may not be good enough because Randle El is a weapon, as well, after having returned punts for 81, 72 and 72 yards this season. In recent weeks, the Steelers special teams have played a very disciplined style in terms of not taking penalties that nullify returns and put the offense in a hole, and there is a nice rhythm that has developed between Randle El and his blockers. Wouldn?t it be ironic if the facet of the game that cost the Steelers the 2001 AFC Championship is the facet that wins it for them in 2005.

STEELERS FB DAN KREIDER VS. BRONCOS MLB AL WILSON: If the Steelers expect to run the ball successfully, they?re going to have to account for Wilson, and the guy most likely to be responsible for that is Kreider. It doesn?t take long for a Steelers back to learn that the safest path through an opposing defense is behind Kreider. Wilson finished the regular season with 90 tackles, and that proves he?s always around the football, but to get to it this week, he?s going to have to go through Kreider.

STEELERS SS TROY POLAMALU VS. BRONCOS QB JAKE PLUMMER: Polamalu is one of those interchangeable parts that coordinator **** LeBeau uses either to rush or cover, and Plummer is going to have to figure out which is which or pay the price. Plummer likes to get out on the perimeter to make plays, but Polamalu has plenty of speed to run him down, and the way he was collapsing the Colts? pass pocket shows he packs a wallop when he blitzes. If the Steelers can shut down the Denver running attack and Plummer is forced to throw on obvious passing situations, Polamalu will have a chance at sacks, interceptions, or both.

STEELERS LG ALAN FANECA VS. BRONCOS DT GERARD WARREN: He?s big and physical, but Warren won?t be any surprise to the Steelers or Faneca because of the time he spent with the Browns. Oh, and Faneca is big and physical, too.

OrangeMane06
01-21-2006, 05:38 PM
In a school just outside of Pittsburgh, a first grade teacher explained
to her class that she is a Steelers fan. She asked her students to raise
their hands if they are Steelers fans too. Not really knowing what a Steelers fan is, but wanting to be liked by
their teacher, their little hands all went up into the air. However, there was one exception. A little boy named Timmy had not
gone along with the crowd. The teacher asked him why he has decided to be different.
"Because I am not a Steelers fan," says Timmy.
The teacher then asked, "What are you?"
Timmy says, "I'm a Broncos fan."The teacher is a little perturbed now. Her face slightly red, she asked
Timmy why he is a Broncos fan. "Well, my mom and dad are Broncos fans so I'm a Broncos fan too."
The teacher is now angry. "That's no reason," she says loudly.
"What if you mom was a moron and your dad was an idiot?"
Timmy smiled and said, "Then I'd be a Steelers fan."
And the Steelers Suck

Prosdo
01-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Nice post. I'm really interested to see the battle between Casey Hampton and Tom Nalen tomorrow.

Suitanim
01-21-2006, 05:40 PM
For the Bronc's dunce

A) Trolling
B) Old Joke
C) Have you contributed ANYTHING other than old stats from the days when Denver had a good team and a bunch of "Broncz ruuul" nonsense?

Prosdo
01-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Orange if you want to talk smack please direct it to the Blast Furnance. That post doesn't belong here.

Suitanim
01-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Orange if you want to talk smack please direct it to the Blast Furnance. That post doesn't belong here.

Hey Pros, I've been watching this kid since his first post, and it's just some 10 year old trying to disrupt stuff...I say dump him.

clevestinks
01-21-2006, 07:40 PM
In a school just outside of Pittsburgh, a first grade teacher explained
to her class that she is a Steelers fan. She asked her students to raise
their hands if they are Steelers fans too. Not really knowing what a Steelers fan is, but wanting to be liked by
their teacher, their little hands all went up into the air. However, there was one exception. A little boy named Timmy had not
gone along with the crowd. The teacher asked him why he has decided to be different.
"Because I am not a Steelers fan," says Timmy.
The teacher then asked, "What are you?"
Timmy says, "I'm a Broncos fan."The teacher is a little perturbed now. Her face slightly red, she asked
Timmy why he is a Broncos fan. "Well, my mom and dad are Broncos fans so I'm a Broncos fan too."
The teacher is now angry. "That's no reason," she says loudly.
"What if you mom was a moron and your dad was an idiot?"
Timmy smiled and said, "Then I'd be a Steelers fan."
And the Steelers Suck
At least try something new, speaking of morons and idiots