PDA

View Full Version : What worries me most about the Vikings...

Raynestorm
10-22-2009, 08:54 AM
OK, I'm new here so I have to tell you that I'm NOT a 'sky is falling' kind of girl. I'm an optimist.

Two words....Jared Allen.

Right now there is no better DE in the NFL than he is. He's a beast.

Ben has a tendency to hold the ball a bit to long and this defensive front can get to him if he does. You have to pass protect from the inside out so you have to account for the Williams bros. first (Not that they're actually bros.) then Allen on the outside.

My guess is, Bruce is going to go with a lot of roll outs. Either away from Allen to the other side of the field, or to Allens side with a double team. I expect him to keep a sidecar in a lot as an extra blocker for just that reason. Now, as the Ravens showed us, if you can get the time that secondary IS vulernable. Look what they did with just the weapons they have...now imagine what we can do with a better WR corp than they have.

I'm not sweating AP, we usually stop the run well enough. We just have to get to Favre and force him into some bad throws. But if both teams protect the ball well I still like our chances.

I don't envy the Oline this week. Expect to see lots of double TE sets, too. That way the defense wont know which TE is staying in and which is going out.

revefsreleets
10-22-2009, 09:10 AM
One advantage we have is that Starks struggles most against smaller speed guys, and Allen is bigger at 6'6" 270...not to say that Allen isn't fast for his size, or that Starks won't struggle against him, but those are the types of guys that give him the MOST trouble.

I DO think if the Vikes come "all-out" like the Eagles last year, the Steelers will be better equipped and prepared to counter that...

pits200
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Also, don't forget about what the biggest advantage of a pass rushing DE is....

A lead..

If the Steelers fall behind and its obvious that they need to abandon the run, its going to be easy for Allen to just worry about going for Ben and not playing contain on the run.

If the Steelers get a lead, that will really limit the effectiveness of Allen. Also, doing some screen passes to his side of the field should slow him down.

MACH1
10-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Heath could have a huge day if he's able to sneak out for check downs and Ben can get it to him.

And second half D still has me a little concerned.

BlastFurnace
10-22-2009, 09:20 AM
The good thing is that we play on grass, which will slow Allen down.

The main thing that scares me about the Vikings is Peterson. Favre does as well, but Peterson is head and shoulders the best back in the league...and that we have faced since LT was in his prime.

Steelboy84
10-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Screen passes and that little handoff we use when we let the end up the field will slow him down.

stlrtruck
10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
What worries me most about the vikings...is us!

While I think the vikings are one of the better teams this season, they aren't that great. Teams have given them fits and what we must do is give them more fits than anyone else has, which means eliminating mistakes on both sides of the ball and making farve pay.

If we do not beat ourselves (as we did in our two loses) then we'll be fine regardless of who runs the ball or throws the ball for the favreings.

stb_steeler
10-22-2009, 12:43 PM
No mistakes...........:applaudit:

steelersinbmore
10-23-2009, 09:32 AM
I am worried about Allen too...not to mention Henderson, getting any traction up the middle will be no walk in the park either. This is going to be a real test for our offense. I might be nuts, but I feel like we can run the ball on these guys! I'll be cheering for Mendenhall and Parker to get over 100 combined and play a little clock control and field position. If we are consistent there, things will open up over the top and they are dinged up at CB.

jarodthegood
10-23-2009, 10:00 AM
right this is the key i think we need to run regardless of them being first in run d the last 3 years in a row!

steelreserve
10-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm worried more about their run defense than their pass rush. If our backs are getting Parkered at the line all day, then the Vikings can come after the passer at will, and our whole offense turns into a hit-or-miss affair where ball control, field position and so on are all a crapshoot.

If we show early on that we can at least advance the ball on the ground -- not gain 150 yards or anything, just pick up 3 or 4 yards on a regular basis -- then we ought to have a consistent offense, and we ought to win. Otherwise, it all depends on whether Ben can singlehandedly out-sling a defense that's gearing up against the pass for the entire second half, so flip a coin.

markymarc
10-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Jared Allen will still make a few plays on Sunday, but I believe that Starks along with Miller or RB chips can help slow him down. You could also run right at him.