PDA

View Full Version : Does the weather scare you?

pits200
10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
With this new Steelers offense which has obviously become pass oriented, I get scared when I think about the only game where the weather has been bad so far this year.

Look at the Bears game where it was raining and there were atleast 5 passes that were dropped and most likely cost the Steelers the game.

Reason I bring this up now is I hear this Sunday's game is forecasting rain..

So once the weather starts getting consistently worse heading into the winter months, do you think the Steelers need to adapt or can they keep the same game plan going forward?

RoethlisBURGHer
10-22-2009, 10:51 AM
We did just fine in the snow against San Diego in the playoffs last year.

Bears/Cinci losses I am chocking up to bad luck. We have won three straight.

Also, against the Bears and Bengals we didn't look like we could run the ball. Now it looks like we can with Mendenhall and Moore, and sprinkling in a little bit of Willie Parker.

tyler289
10-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Weather doesn't concern me at all.

vasteeler
10-22-2009, 11:10 AM
its a good question and i understand the consern but other teams have to play in the elements as well

Angus Burgher
10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
After we destroyed the Pats last season on their own turf in the middle of a rainstorm, bad weather no longer concerns me.

I chalk the Chicago loss up to bad luck and the lack of both a solid running game and a good pass defense.

#1 Big Ben Fan
10-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Ben didn't wear a glove in the Bears game and maybe that was the reason some of his passes were off target that game. I'm not worried at all about the weather. Most of the vets on this team are use to playing in poor weather by now.

LVSteelersfan
10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
The Viqueens are a dome team. Nuff said.

Fire Haley
10-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I'd be more worried about the field being chewed up into a cow pasture after Pitt plays it homecoming game in the rain on Sat.

pits200
10-22-2009, 12:25 PM
The Viqueens are a dome team. Nuff said.

But they are a running team.

Steelboy84
10-22-2009, 12:40 PM
With this new Steelers offense which has obviously become pass oriented, I get scared when I think about the only game where the weather has been bad so far this year.

Look at the Bears game where it was raining and there were atleast 5 passes that were dropped and most likely cost the Steelers the game.

Reason I bring this up now is I hear this Sunday's game is forecasting rain..

So once the weather starts getting consistently worse heading into the winter months, do you think the Steelers need to adapt or can they keep the same game plan going forward?

We have shown this year that we can in fact run the ball with solid blocking. So no, doesn't concern me.

Christian Snyder
10-22-2009, 12:49 PM
No, it doesn't concern me. We have shown that we can run if our blocking is solid.

:tt04::tt02::tt:

X-Terminator
10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
But they are a running team.

It still could make a difference because the rain on a grass field will slow down a guy like Peterson, who relies as much on speed as he does his power. That could make it a little easier for the Steelers' D to shut him down, though that obviously is no guarantee. I'd be more concerned if this game were being played in Minny, inside the dome on a fast track.

Vincent
10-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Perfect weather for a track meet this Sunday… http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USPA1290 :coffee:

SteelGhost
10-22-2009, 01:05 PM
It still could make a difference because the rain on a grass field will slow down a guy like Peterson, who relies as much on speed as he does his power. That could make it a little easier for the Steelers' D to shut him down, though that obviously is no guarantee. I'd be more concerned if this game were being played in Minny, inside the dome on a fast track.

You nailed it X, Vikes are more dangerous in their dome, despite of Favre played for a long time in GB.

Go Steelers :tt03:

Fire Haley
10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Heinz Field sod replaced between the numbers

• One of the reasons why the Steelers decided to do away with the DD GrassMaster turf at Heinz Field and go strictly with grass this year was so they could re-sod the middle of the field at any time. Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings will have freshly laid sod in between the numbers. "It wasn't in good shape last week," kicker Jeff Reed said.

Workers started tearing out the old sod after last week's game. The field is scheduled to be resodded one more time at the end of the year. In years past, the field wasn't able to be patched because of its reinforced artificial fibers (DD GrassMaster). Instead, the field had to be totally resodded and placed over the existing surface.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_649233.html#

revefsreleets
10-22-2009, 01:45 PM
I ain't askeered a nuthin!

billybob
10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
No , weather does not scare me . There is very little you can do about it , save change your game plan to coincide with the weather .
I am sure that , like coach Mike says about injuries...."it's part of the game " , so is the weather . To be a complete team , and to defend our status as the " Champs " , you have to overcome whatever is thrown at you . Injuries , weather , and the refs , all have to be included in the game plan .
Since when are the STEELERS afraid of the weather ?

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

kirklandrules
10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Don't spend 2 seconds worrying about the weather, for this simple reasoning: you have no idea what the weather is going to be and you can't control it. I've never seen a weather prediction that was accurate more than 1/2 day in advance. No offense to any meteorologist out there in Steelers Nation, but that it's the only profession where you can be wrong 50% of the time and still keep your job.

And several prior posters are correct that the weather goes both ways. Peterson is a great runner, but he needs great traction for all the cutting he does. I'd be more worried if it was going to be a soaking rain and they had a big, straight-ahead back like the Bus (remember what he did against Chicago a few years ago). So lots of rain on our Heinz turf means fewer big plays by a running back that likes to dance and cut and, therefore, a greater reliance on an old coot that is due for some pix. If they have to rely on that senior citizen (I like Favre, but not this week), then I take Timmons and point to their QB and say “Capture and kill son!”:mad:.

steelreserve
10-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Why worry about the weather? We've always been good in rain and snow because of our defense, and that's no different from ever. We just ALSO happen to have a good offense this year -- the team isn't based around offense; that's just a bonus. Any weather that's going to limit offense is going to do it for both sides, and then we've still got the advantage.

solardave
10-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I guess we'll find out if Rashard is a mudder. I'm not worried about the weather. We've played in bad weather before. The field condition is another animal.

ricksteelers55
10-22-2009, 06:53 PM
In fact I'm excited.We will have a good taste of what Mendy is made of playing against a very good run D in bad weather.

Steel-Bryan
10-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Vikings should be the ones worried about the weather

Fire Haley
10-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I ain't askeered a nuthin!

Amen

Besides, all Vikings fans are alcoholics, why should they care about a little rain.

Other than clubbing baby seal pups, what do they have to d.......

oh, sorry, that's Canadians......

Nevermind - same difference

BehindSteelCurtain
10-22-2009, 11:31 PM
If Tom Brady can throw the for 6 TDs in 1 game in a blizzard than it's not impossible.

Galax Steeler
10-23-2009, 04:45 AM
The weather is no big deal we can handle anything mother nature throws at us. The Bears game we should have won. We have showed that we can play in bad weather and it is the same for both teams so there is really no disevantage.

HometownGal
10-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Weather shouldn't be a factor as these guys are pros, but once in a blue moon weather does play a role in the outcome of a game. 95% of these guys have played in adverse conditions at some point in their careers, whether it be college or pro, so as a rule, I rarely ever pin a loss on the elements.

steel striker
10-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't think the weather will be a factor but, what does concern me is making sure Jared Allen does not get going against us.

steelballs
10-23-2009, 08:31 AM
The weather forecast doesn't bother me at all, I actually wanted a sloppy track to slow down Peterson.
Favre tends to make mistakes when he's expected to win games on his own.