PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Insider: No starts for Parker?

mesaSteeler
10-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Steelers Insider: No starts for Parker?
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/october/21/steelers-insider-no-starts-for-parker.html
By: Mike Bires -
Beaver County Times

Wednesday October 21, 2009 11:53 PM

Willie Parker may never start another game for the Steelers.

With Rashard Mendenhall entrenched as the No. 1 running back, Parker could be relegated for backup duty the rest of the season.

And since Parker is in the last year of his existing contract, he may be playing for another team in 2010.

I mean, hes the coach, Parker said of Mike Tomlins decision to keep Mendenhall as the starter.

He has to make the decision and live with it. But with the way our offense is going right now, Im not going against coachs decision. I just have to prove him wrong whenever I get my chance.

In his three starts this season, Parker rushed for 19, 47 and 93 yards, respectively. After missing two games with a turf toe injury, he didnt look very impressive in Sundays 27-14 win over Cleveland. He carried six times for 26 yards.

Meanwhile, Mendenhall has rushed for 165, 77 and 62 yards in his three starts. In games Mendenhall has started, the Steelers are 3-0.

This season, Parker averages 3.7 yards per carry. Mendenhall averages 5.1.
Advertisement BVFCU

I dont know, man, Parker said. Im not myself right now. Im not all the way back. Its my toe. My toe still hurts. But no excuses. Im going to go out and keep working.

INJURY UPDATE

SS Troy Polamalu watched Wednesdays practice as he continues his recovery from a sprained knee he suffered in the Sept. 10 season opener.

After missing four games, Polamalu returned Sunday against the Browns. But he may get a day off now and then for the next few weeks because he is not yet 100 percent recovered.

Mendenhall practiced, but only on a limited basis due to a sore knee.

Parker was not listed on the Steelers' injury report.

MEDIA CRUSH

With Brett Favre and the unbeaten Vikings (6-0) coming to town Sunday, the Steelers communications department says its being bombarded with credential requests from national media. You would think its a playoff game, a team spokesman said.

MACH1
10-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I dont know, man, Parker said. Im not myself right now. Im not all the way back. Its my toe. My toe still hurts. But no excuses. Im going to go out and keep working.

Man, Bettis coached him up good. :propeller

stillers4me
10-22-2009, 08:38 PM
With Brett Favre and the unbeaten Vikings (6-0) coming to town Sunday, the Steelers communications department says it’s being bombarded with credential requests from national media. “You would think it’s a playoff game,” a team spokesman said.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a favre.

Steel-Bryan
10-22-2009, 09:40 PM
If willie becomes a FA next year, where do u think he'd go? I say Oakland, Green bay, or San Fransisco.

mesaSteeler
10-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a favre.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

steelwalls
10-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I think a big weakness of Parker (and I love the guy) but he is to emotional of a player. I think he lets his frustrations get to him too much.

Glace
10-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Parker needs to find an offense like the Eagles to have a successful career following pittsburgh. Need to find an offense that's going to get him in space consistently.

If he goes to a team where he's expected to run it up the gut, like us....he's going to turn into a career backup.

Galax Steeler
10-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Just keep on feeding Mendenhall the ball. He is the man and the future of the team.

steelreserve
10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Willie Parker may never start another game for the Steelers.

You don't know how much that means to me. I have been waiting for years to hear those words.

I bet he ends up going to Arizona next year. They have a thing for geriatric running backs, not to mention former Steelers players.

GeneralRobinson
10-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I love Rashard, don't get me wrong. However, it's amusing how the tone of reporting regarding his career has flipped 180 degrees in just 3 games - from potential bust to his current accolades. Makes you wonder what will happen if he struggles.

markymarc
10-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Just keep on feeding Mendenhall the ball. He is the man and the future of the team.

Absolutely. Mendenhall is showing the world why he can be a #1 RB for any team. Keep feeding the hot hand :tt02:

steeltheone
10-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Well, once again the last 3 games have been the Lions, Browns and Chargers any NFL Back could produce against those defenses. I'm saving my judgement for after Minn. Parker gets hurt to much for a big payday. IMO

steelreserve
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, once again the last 3 games have been the Lions, Browns and Chargers any NFL Back could produce against those defenses.

Yeah, except Parker. He'd be too busy sitting on the bench with his knee/leg/foot injury du jour.

Angus Burgher
10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
I personally think that everybody gtot caught up in the Parker hype without noticing that the only reason he had so many 100-yard games was because they gave him the ball WAY too often.

He has been good on various occasions. But I've also seen him trip and fall, drop passes, fumble on carries and constantly get stuffed in the red zone. He rarely makes first downs unless its against a terrible defense.

I understand that at times, it's the O-Line's fault. But I also think that Tomlin and the Steelers have historically put too much faith in a guy that many other teams wouldn't have as a starter.

Last season, I think that the team overall improved when Parker was injured and Moore was the go-to guy for running plays. Best scenario at the end of this season is to let Willie walk and re-sign Moore for the 2nd string RB role. Moore is one of our best (and often, most underutilized) players.

steelreserve
10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
careful, implying that Parker sucks will get you called a hater, an idiot, or worse.

... wait, never mind. People have stopped doing that now that it's so obvious.

Preacher
10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
careful, implying that Parker sucks will get you called a hater, an idiot, or worse.

... wait, never mind. People have stopped doing that now that it's so obvious.

:rofl: Last two weeks, Parker has had a better average than Mendy, especially when you take away the big runs.

steeltheone
10-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Parkers a fine back...Just hurt way to much. Mendy has shown promise. Now lets see if he can do it against a good D.

steelreserve
10-23-2009, 09:01 PM
:rofl: Last two weeks, Parker has had a better average than Mendy, especially when you take away the big runs.

OK, that's fine. I hope he has a great midseason resurgence ... on the bench.

cubanstogie
10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
You don't know how much that means to me. I have been waiting for years to hear those words.

I bet he ends up going to Arizona next year. They have a thing for geriatric running backs, not to mention former Steelers players.

I think if FWP is healthy he has more in his tank than Emmitt, and Edgerrin did when they went to Arizona. That is a big if though. Willie has been constantly hurt and a speed back with turf toe is not effective. I see Rashard keeping the starting role and hopefully Willie will be 100 percent come playoff time and have a big impact off the bench. Its a long way away but I hope Willie is satisfied not being the featured back and will remain a Steeler for a couple more years. One back doesn't cut it in this league. Rashard has more upside than Willie IMO.

Preacher
10-23-2009, 11:01 PM
OK, that's fine. I hope he has a great midseason resurgence ... on the bench.

Why? when Willie averaging more yards than Mendy without Mendy's long runs to bump his average?

:wink02:

(you know I am just flinging everything back at you to :poke: at you right? I don't mean anything by it)

steel striker
10-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Well let's not totally give up on FWP because, we all know this is a two back league now days. We are going to need Mendy & Willie down the road to the playoffs. Mendy is the future RB and, I really believe that but, lets not hate on Willie so much. Players do struggle with injury and, Willie still has not 100%. FWP can still help this team.

markymarc
10-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Parkers a fine back...Just hurt way to much. Mendy has shown promise. Now lets see if he can do it against a good D.

I think FWP is a great back, unfortunately he gets hurt way too much now. Plus let's not act like FWP has put up big numbers against very good run defenses.